Full-New X-Men Storytime

Full-New X-Men is a parody re-write of Brian Michael Bendis's All-New X-Men which is currently ongoing. Inspired by such classic works as Muh Phoenix and Illuminated Comics, it seemed like the time was ripe for a new satiric re-write, and over the past month or so, my cohort and I have been hard at work producing this daily-updated series.

I posted the first several pages of this last week and it was pretty well-received, so I see no reason not to do so again now with several more pages to add.

unxannyrewrites.tumblr.com

It always baffled and frustrated me that Bendis would go to the trouble of introducing a new Australian character and then have literally 0% of her dialogue sound even remotely Australian. I decided to go 300% maximum Aussie with her speech just to correct for this oversight.

While writing these pages I think that at any given time I had about twelve tabs worth of pages devoted to Australian slang, figures of speech and terminology. I think the results speak for themselves in a deeply impenetrable lexicon.

It never ceases to frustrate and amaze me what brilliant artists Bendis manages to get for his series. Just think; there's some alternate universe where Immonen was working on volume 2 of Nextwave instead of this.

I'm tempted to report this post just because of how angry you make me towards the universe I'm forced to live in.

And here we have a single joke which emerged from a slip of my finger on the keyboard resulting from the "C" and "X" being next to one another which during the course of writing these issues has become one of my enduring favourites.

I hope that I can offer some laughter to balm the pain to your spirit which my words have inflicted.

It's a good thing that Cylcops and company never lost any of their focus, control or power after that whole Phoenix thing, or else pages like this would be impossible and/or nonsensical. Some tight plotting by Bendis!

And here we meet another new character who isn't going to be remotely relevant to the actual events of this series but the spinoff series which comes out a few months later.

Bonus points to anyone who gets the "I've had nightmares like this" reference.

I just want to say, anyone who's thinking of doing a storytime of any variety? Totally worth shelling out for a Sup Forums pass. Man alive do I ever not miss having to deal with those captchas every time I want to post.

Quads of truth. Another advice for storytimers: make the thread from your phone and then switch to your computer to continue the storytime. This way you don't have to worry about the thread being bumped

Huh. I never thought about that. How does that work?

Different IP.

If the thread keeps getting posted-to by the same IP, does it not get bumped? I never realized that.

Managed to get through the first of these two pages and most of the second before realising it was an edit.

Fucking Bendis.

I want to say it's from another comic book edit posted here

Memes aside, Illyana should've stayed with this design. Bangs + metal arm + NM costume + classic Soulsword. Why Bachalo changed the soulsword as well is beyond me

It's been like that for what, the last two years?

Well, to a certain extent I try to keep to the structure of the speech balloons in the original pages (though granted in issues to come I become increasingly liberal with that). I think that this adherence to the pace and structure of Bendis dialogue maintains that illusion somewhat, even if I think that I tend towards more naturalistic dialogue than he does.

>I want to say it's from another comic book edit posted here

If it never has been then it's a damned shame since it's a classic.

>
Memes aside, Illyana should've stayed with this design. Bangs + metal arm + NM costume + classic Soulsword. Why Bachalo changed the soulsword as well is beyond me

I do like the Bachalo design for the most part, even if it is... a little too Bachalo-y, I guess? There's a certain fairly specific aesthetic that he maintains across a lot of female costume designs which has become too predictable for my tastes. Though at least that arm remains armoured, albeit in black armour in the new design.

>It's been like that for what, the last two years?

I never had cause to be aware of that, but it's good to know.

>Why Bachalo changed the soulsword as well is beyond me
Something Phoenix related? It resembles the Blade of the Phoenix that Rook'shir used.

It does, but again, for the first several appearances after the Phoenix Five incident she was still using her original-looking sword, so who knows. I could easily see that being one of the dropped or neglected plot points which this run is so infamous for.

Also, because apparently I can't post a Facebook link without Sup Forums thinking it's spam, allow me to use this screenshot to point in the direction of the official page in case anyone prefers to follow via Facebook rather than Tumblr.

Careful there user, if you get too uppity with your advertising then these threads will get deleted at every turn.

The element of danger makes it that much more thrilling!

I really hope they're careful with that sort of stuff, I'm really enjoying this parody.

This is the funniest thing I've ever read.

Trust me when I say that when the actual main cast appears at the end of issue 1, it starts getting a lot better. Any scene with my version of Beast and/or Jean is a fucking joy to write. I can't wait for people to get a taste of that.

Confession: I've never found "black character screams about racism and privilege at white character" funny.
"White character screaming about racism at black character", though, is absolute fucking comedy gold. It's happened to me.

Sometimes the best path to comedy in these re-writes is just to invert the obvious authorial intent in the scene in question and go wild with it. This scene was a hoot to write. There's a great callback to it the next time we see this character in... I think issue 4?

Bump. This shit is too funny to get archived in such short order.

Hope you don't mind me cropping some reaction images from this, OP.

Not in the slightest! I will smile from ear to ear any time I see any of these crop up in any thread!