Women of Marvel Comics

Looking back at this anniversary art by Alan Davis makes me sad. I have realized that today, only six years later, every character on this pic has either been ruined by shitty writing and "reinvention", is dead or is forgotten. The forgotten ones (such as Molly) are the lucky ones.

The only exceptions are Black Widow (who has been a one-note character since long before this art was made) and Storm (who somehow manages to hold on at the X-Men side). What scares me is that Marvel keeps talking so much about diversity and positive role models and yet they have treated their classic female heroes like dirt, and only give a shit about their ALL-NEW ALL-DIFFERENT female characters.

Crawl back out of Fantasy-Land, you nutjob.
"They treat their classic female characters like dirt"
Wake up, Spider-Man hasn't been resting on a fluffy cloud of sunshine for all these years. And he's just one example.
Classic Marvel men suffer the same.
"They only care about their All-New-All-Different women."
Like who exactly?
Carol? She's been around for longer than I've been alive.
Jean Grey? Same thing.
Jane Foster? I'm pretty damned sure she wasn't created yesterday.
So what the hell are you talking about?

I wish someone would send this to mockingbird bitchers but they'd probably complain about it being sexy or something

This is about female characters, get this guy out of here.

I've never understood the whole Mockingbird thing.
She's around on the Avengers for about a year in ancient history before getting killed off for being a human with no superpowers.
I'm not getting why she'd be so memorable that fans would want her back even after all those years, and they did.
But fine enough, they bring her back with the Skrull invasion story.
Now what?
Now you've got a powerless human S.H.I.E.L.D. agent with no close ties to anyone in the modern Marvel universe, and she's more behind the times than a freshly-thawed Captain America.
What's so special about her that makes her a superhero?

Wasp is still cool

Good Grief, you impregnate ONE Spiderwoman and everyone says you're a man...

Initially it seemed that Bendis was throwing the fans a bone by bringing back Hawkeye's dead wife. Because honestly, despite having a handful of pre-Hawkeye stories, that is what people remember and love about Mockingbird: That she was Clint's equallly punny and lighthearted crimefighting waifu.

So of course what happens when they bring her back after almost 20 years?

They break her and Clint up, first as a romantic couple and then as partners, and then pretend as if Bobbi has enough fans on her own to become a lasting character.

> I do not know what the All New All Different tag line means. I...I think it's all about new characters and different characters. You know, how Rebirth should be birthing the heroes so we'll have baby capes.

Denial is such a wonderful thing, Marvelfag.

L-R:

Black Widow (Claire Voyant): one of The Twelve, most of whom were never seen outside of 1940s one-shot appearances and a single miniseries which was supposed to be completed before 2010.

Madelyn Joyce (Miss America) has been out of print since 1951. Because she stopped selling.

Scarlet Witch: Wanda was dead at the time of this picture's publication. She had been for six years, after never really finding her role since before Heroes Reborn in the 90s. Frankly she's been adrift since West Coast Avengers, acting as various love interests because nobody knows what to do with her.

Carol Danvers is carrying the legacy and uniform of Captain Marvel, just like she did in 1977.

Sue Storm i another one that lacks any real role. It's not the fault of the character - it's the fault of writers who see FF as "big story" territory and forget to do more than pay lip service to the family's strengths with some schmaltzy homilies.

There's like five Jeans Grey right now. Not even kidding. Take your pick.

Medusa is leading the Inhumans for once.

Black Cat finally has a purpose beyond being a Spider-Man love interest - as do Mary Jane Watson and (at least one of the) Gwen Stacy. Similarly, while her characterization is shit, Kitty has been out in space actually doing classic X-Men stuff with cosmic crap instead of sitting around in a militarized compound bitching about how people hate and fear mutants. That's at least Core Kitty.

Storm is Storm. Right around this picture coming out was when people started bitching about her divorce, wasn't it? And how she got a new haircut and went on dates because she's an independent woman who don't need no man? She's been written terribly for years, get over it.

Molly was in something more recent than this and everyone who gives a shit about her was losing their mind over it.

Black Widow is in movies, they were never going to table her.

Nobody, ever, gave a shit about 616 Jessica Drew except Brian Michael Bendis, and you're not him because you're bitching about Kitty.

Wasp was dead when this was made, she's back now.

Elektra comes and goes but she's basically a oneshot character who outstayed her welcome for 30 years.

She-Hulk isn't even dead.

I might be in a minority here, but as someone who liked her rocky relationship with Clint in West Coast Avengers, aside from couple of the recent issues of Slott's Spider-man I have not enjoyed the modern era Bobbi at all. I was probably one of the five people who immediately went "wait, you wasted the entire gimmick of Secret Invasion to bring back HER?!" when she came back from being dead.

Ah the smell of denial in the morning.

I feel the same. I don't think there was really any thought behind it, just some kind of "BIG TWIST" for the ending of SI. The unfortunate aspect of Bobbi is that she's a pretty explicit Black Canary clone, and if you put her together with clint than you're reinforcing it even more. But tear her away from Clint and she isn't really anyone you're very invested in either. I don't think they know what to do with her, so the recent series was just tacking on a feminism gimmick which didn't work in the hope that she'd suddenly be "cool".

>I don't read comics: The posts

One of the rumors back then was that Nick Fury would turn out to be a Skrull. I'm guessing they planned to do other major reveals but backed out at the last minute.

I've always liked Spider-Woman because I watched the cartoon when I was a kid