Doctor Strange: Ive come to Bargain Edition

I know this doesnt sound like much but he really is one of the stronger MCU villains and I hope to see more of him

Other urls found in this thread:

cinemablend.com/news/1577629/benedict-cumberbatch-reveals-why-he-had-to-play-that-other-doctor-strange-role
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I hope we see more of him with his better design.

But he pretty much was that already, except his head was rippling energy instead of fire. You could still make out his body

I need the fire, man. I need it bad. Without the ripples too.

You could see a little fire too but we were too zoomed in to see it all

I really could have done without you guys repeating that line to death before I had the chance to see Strange do it.

I'm extremely dense, how exactly did he time loop himself again? Dormammu wasn't affected by it because he exists outside of time?

The Eye has the Infinity Stone of Time in it. Dormammu is outside of time, so Strange looped himself so Dormammu had someone constantly annoying him despite dying a lot.

Was Dormammu affected by it? The time loop was odd because it seemed that Strange himself was and was not affected.

I'd hazard that Dormammu was not, yet I'm on the fence about Strange being aware of each death. He did imply he was when talking about having to endure the pain.

I'm glad that, so far, I haven't seem too much fighting. Some arguing about magic in a thread yesterday but I think it ended peacefully enough. Thread hit autosage so maybe the people who disagreed stopped posting. It wasn't even really consensus anyway. I'm interested whether Asgardian magic (not their super advanced technology but the powers shown by Lady Frigga and Loki) use the same "source code of the universe." They aren't seen to write their spells in the air but manipulation of reality is, I think, a large part of what they do. They can do it with machines or a few of them have other abilities. It's not all illusions. When Frigga appeared to Loki in his cell she was projecting her consciousness. Loki did the same to talk to The Other, but he was using the staff with an Infinity Stone/Gem.

The funny thing is I can't figure out why Dormammu kept bothering with Strange. He had an entire realm to fuck around in, or could have (I guess?) popped onto Earth and started fucking shit up. It wasn't like Strange was really his prison.

It seemed like the reason he was fixated on Strange is because Strange was something IN his very own realm doing things against Dormammu's will. Strange is like a dog that just took a shit on Dormammu's carpet. Sure Dormammu could go play vidja games or hop in the car to get some chicken wings and a prostitute but there is STILL shit on his carpet. His whole day was ruined. Worse still, this is no ordinary piece of shit. Every time he tries to kamehameha it into ash the damn thing just reappears.

The way i undestood dormammu was affected by the loop, but because he normally exists outside of time, he was aware that something was off.

>literally Galactus but now it's from Marvel studios so it's good

He's literally THE strongest MCU villain (for now; Thanos might be stronger with the Infinity Stones).

Even Loki and Hive are nothing compared to Dormammu.

This is correct. It's why he repeated "You've come to die!" before figuring it out.

>He doesn't know Dormammu precedes Galactus by two years

Dormammu is now a world-eater represented through cosmic energy instead of his classic design, a wizard with a flaming head.
He's MCU's Galactus alright.

His goal was always to merge Earth's dimension into the Dark Dimension, but yeah, they took the lame way out, I hope he has a physical form more akin to his traditional look next time he shows up.

According to the director and Benny Cummerbund they decided to do a take where Dormammu is formless in his own dimension and was appearing as a kind of mirror to Strange (which is why Benny wanted to voice him) instead of him appearing as a spooky goblin man. If Dormammu appears on Earth he'd have a physical form as a manifestation. In his own realm he's just energy.

cinemablend.com/news/1577629/benedict-cumberbatch-reveals-why-he-had-to-play-that-other-doctor-strange-role

dormammu was stuck in the loop too

Are you retarded?

What's wrong, user? Did Doctor Strange take a temporal shit on your carpet too?

Dormammu is not a wizard

Not totally. If it were a true time loop they would have just acted out the same pattern over and over again forever. Dormammu was fully aware of repeating events.

The point was to get him to fuck off, not sacrifice himself.

Who said it wasn't? Or are you suggesting that Stephen wrote the time spell specifically to allow Dormammu awareness he was stuck as opposed to Dormammu's innate timelessness giving him perception of how he was being manipulated?

In the comics, does ancient one really draw energy from dark dimension?

Was strange fully aware that he was looping? Like was it full groundhogg day and he has lived through every death. Or does he remember only the final loop where Dormammu gives in?

He seemed to be, but it could, I guess, still have been the fact that he was aware of the loop prior to activating it and playing off of what Dormammu was saying.

I prefer to think they were both aware, but I don't know. Like Dormammu being caught up in it. Doctor Strange brought an alien presence, time, into Dormammu's timeless domain and wrote the spell physically on his own arm. It suggests that the spell was on himself as opposed to having somehow installed time into the entire realm or even forced it on Dormammu.

Fuck if I know, though. It could, arguably, go either way. Regardless it still worked.

I'd add to this that there is a greater element of struggle/sacrifice if Strange is aware of each of his deaths and the pain of them before the time loop restores him. That way he'd have to endure potentially days, weeks, months, YEARS of Dormammu's frustrations. It's a greater heroic triumph than if he was blissfully unaware and the entire struggle was, from his perspective, just a few seconds long.

I actually didn't mind the look for him in this film, since it was his complete form in the Dark Dimension. But it would be cool if he had a different form should he manifest physically on Earth at some point.

Is that possible what with the arrangement at the end of this film? I just watched it yesterday, and I haven't thought of any loopholes that could allow him to as of yet.

Dormammu finds a way around the Eye's time warp and breaks the agreement.

It was a shitty villain, we barely saw him or had any real reason to fear/hate him. The second he starts to pose a real threat, Doctor Strange's first and only plan works flawlessly. You'd think that Dormammu, as strong as he is, could break free from a simple fucking time loop.

INFINITY GEMS

and this is my problem with the marvel movies, everything is explained away via mcguffins or "they'll get to it later," they never take the time to establish things (like Dormmamu or the full power of the time gem).

Am I in the minority here in thinking that this movie was actually kind of lame? The environment effects were fucking amazing and the fights were pretty much the best part of the movie.

But everything else was so by the numbers Marvel movie that it just took me right out of it.

The entire scene with the "ghost" fight was probably the most corny thing ever. It felt like a fucking cartoon. How it made it into the movie and no one said otherwise is beyond me.

And not to mention that Strange is pretty much the exact same character as Tony Stark personality wise. For fucks sake he was still making sarcastic quips when he was huddled over and holding his hands in front of him like a homeless man.

seeing them side by side actually supports the movie version a bit more, I can actually kinda see the face

>villain is neutered just the second before he starts being a villain
sasuga Marvel

what? they tell you all about Dormmamu throughout the entire movie and they explicitly show the powers of the Time Gem before his encounter with Dormmamu

literally what more do you need

Strange is a lot like Tony Stark in the comics and has been for awhile

But Strange is a lot more internal in his arrogance. He isn't a playboy, he's an elitist. I think Benedict portrayed that rather well.

>Am I in the minority here in thinking that this movie was actually kind of lame
you're in the minority pretty much everywhere, even Sup Forums thinks its good

right, they just TELL us about Dormammu, never show us anything. The most powerful thing any of his followers do is bomb a building, and its not even that powerful of an explosion. And we see the time gem used to, what, reverse an apple and some pages? They never set up it can do a time loop or how powerful it is in relation to anything, and if it was that powerful why didnt he undo the death of the Ancient One or undo everything else that happened?

His followers are already shown to be exceptionally powerful. Just the ability to drop people into the Mirror Dimension. Do that to Iron Man or Cap and they can't do shit. Do that to the Hulk and maybe, if they're going totally walk happy, he can SMAAAASH his way through the dimensional barrier. I mean fuck that, but you never know they could do something like that.

Thor, well, magic hammer, right? Less ridiculous if Thor or Wanda does it.

They tell us that Dormammu wants to absorb the Earth, then show him begin doing that. Short of him succeeding completely, I'm not sure what more you want. Dormammu absorbing some other planet? Just to prove he could? We don't need that.

As for time-travel, Strange is warned explicitly that performing the ritual could open Earth up to destruction, which is why he doesn't try it until the Earth is already in the process of being wrecked. Nothing to lose then.

I agree that there were some very corny - almost cringeworthy- moments but it's a MCU movie. That's they're style. So as a MCU movie, it was pretty good. As a movie on it's on, it was ok.

>Strange is warned that using the eye has consequences
>Mordo says that they will face danger because of Strange's abuse of it
>That danger is Thanos knowing that another gem is on earth
Dude barely has to go anywhere to find these things.

>not liking the corniness
sometimes you have to embrace it

I hope you don't find my question too stupid, but I am a newfag to Doctor Strange. I had seen the movie over the weekend, and now I want to know what comics should I start reading? The movie really piqued my interest, especially the end credit scenes.

Ya, it was weird how they just spliced in some scenes from the The Frighteners.

this is a good start. the oath and triumph & torment i can personally recommend.

I don't recall so, but to be fair it has been a while.

Strange used to call upon Dormammu as a source of power back in the comics though. That was before he really knew the nature of the being he was borrowing power from. That might have been a nod to that plot.

in the comics TAO is pretty much the stereotypical wise asian master. TOA was immortal, but technically isn't really dead. Just moved onto another existence. Doctor Strange has already reached that level of immortality back in like 1974.

Sup Forums is actually retarded for wanting the pumpkinhead visage that anyone other than an idiot would think is a joke because Aspergers.

Why are you surprised people were hoping to see some version closer to the comics? People were pleased as shit when the Celestials showed up, after all. So they're disappointed when it doesn't happen.

Yes you are. I agree though. The movie was mediocre at best.

While we're arguing over some of the plot points in the movies, I have a non-Doctor Strange query. In Civil War was Crossbones working with Zemo? I don't mean a partner but was Zemo using him early on? That one has always bugged me a bit.

Pretty much this. I'm starting to get annoyed how much the MCU is starting to lose the "straight out of the page" feeling it once had. Sure, there are alterations, but their designs usually are on point.

Think of time as a virus.
Dormammu exists in a plane of existence without any exposure to time. He's got no immune system against it. So Strange brings time in and infects Dormammu with time. Dormammu can't do shit against it.

They're better when they are aware they are making movies based on comic books. They don't have to go nuts with it, necessarily, but they shouldn't get so full of themselves they forget they're still comic stories.

I never got the impression that he was. I think crossbones was just doing his own thing.

They've always been streamlining and cutting corners where they could. I wonder, though, what pisses people off more? That they Eye of Agamotto is an Infinity Stone or that it is the TIme one instead of the Soul?

Probably the latter. People have been betting on the Eye being one probably since before it made a brief cameo in Odin's treasure vault.

I think I read somewhere in Sup Forums that the Marvel Comics' committee were the frontrunners when it came to pushing comic accuracy, but since they aren't around anymore I wouldn't be surprised if MS started to take more liberties with their adaptations.

Why would Crossbones be working with Zemo?

>since before it made a brief cameo in Odin's treasure vault.
That fucking Odin's vault. Why does it have to dominate so many fan theories?

I can see why people want to make that connection, at least. Otherwise Crossbones' buyer is never really dealt with and that part of the plot is just over and done with, conveniently set aside for the larger plot it served as an excuse to kicking off.

Plus there are some interesting coincidences. Both Zemo and Rumlow push the Bucky button on Cap and Zemo later bombs the Accords ceremony that only occurred because of what happened with Crossbones. Also if you're Zemo, ex-intelligence officer with enough intricate knowledge on both the Avengers and Hydra, setting Crossbones after Cap is actually a pretty good gambit. I'm sure he doesn't want a bio-weapon but if he wants to hurt the Avengers and figures the world will put the brakes on them if they screw up, well, it all plays into Zemo's hands perfectly. Rumlow was pretty keen on going after Cap the first excuse he got and he was pissed enough to try to take them both down. Hell, if Zemo was Rumlow's buyer to set up this event I wouldn't put it past him to then tip off the Avengers just to make sure these two came head to head.

Plus I guess it makes Zemo's "win" against the Avengers more significant? Either way I can imagine Crossbones at this point wouldn't mind having a cameo in Thor the Dark World in Hel laughing at the Avengers. He may not have killed Cap but he still managed to fuck them over.

That is kind of worrisome. I mean, there's already the continuity issue with "where does Dr. Strange take place" as we see Avengers tower at the start and we know Sitwell knew about Strange.

I'm sightly annoyed the Eye is a gem because it means there's a possibility it could be rendered unusable after Thanos steals it, but aside that I'm completely OK with both he Eye and the Time Gem.

The fact the mages barely, if never, actually said a spell is what annoyed me the most from the movie. I think the little whip Stranged conjured were the Bands of Cyttorak and man, if they were that's so lame.

Did anyone else not like this scene? I mean, I like the concept of the whole bargaining thing, but I don't think it was executed with the appropriate weight and emotion needed for any cinematic climax.

I imagine because Zemo posed as a buyer to kickstart a scenario where there were good odds of a major catastrophe and loss of life to fuck with the Avengers. Crossbones can basically be played like a piece on a chessboard. Plus all the shit here

I hope not because imagine what that might mean for Vision! Hopefully Vision doesn't NEED the stone to live and maybe they can create a substitute to still give him his powers.

Same. But it was still a treat to finally have context for the line. The way it was spammed, you'd think it was a bad line that sticks out, not the best part of the whole movie.

I kind of assumed that if Dormamm ufully possesses someone they'll get the flame head. I mean, channeling his power is a burning brand and his acoyltes start getting crispy around the eyes.

At the very least this seems to have been the directors call, and it was something they specifically justified as Dormammu being formless within his own realm.

I kind of agree with it as a thematic choice even though it reduces Dormammu to playing a foil to Strange. Is that a big deal? Probably not. Besides, it would also mean that Strange is a foil to Dormammu. The door swings both ways, right Egon? Dormammu represents the pure egotistical self-centered side of Strange that would abuse his powers for himself if he doesn't strive to be a better man.

It has more impact in terms of the character arc than an actual win would and better preserves the strength level of the threat.

So they introduced a big bad that is stronger and has a clearer motive than Thanos.

I think they fucked themselves over from the very end of the 1st Avengers. They introduced this vague threat they didn't really think about, but now have to pay off

Most of the Directors and writers avoid Thanos like the plague at all cost. His design is shit and his voice is and dialogue is Saturday Morning Cartoon tier

>In this thread Sup Forums literally bitches about Dormammu's head not being the right color.

Not really. It was a nice change of pace from the from the other movies. In fact, I think this kind of resolution suits Dr. Strange a lot more than an ebin fistpunch final battle, though I wouldn't mind it if that had been the case.

I get that. I get that we have Strange prepared to sacrifice himself time and time again. Sure, it technically ends his character arc in this movie, but I still feel that point could've been put across with more weight.

Plus the whole lack of stakes and meaningfulness but I won't get into that right now.

>implying Dormammu is more powerful than Infinity Gauntlet Thanos
Nah.

>lack of stakes
The Earth was literally merging with the Dark Dimension. These were the highest stakes a Marvel movie ever had.

Implying I said infinity gauntlet thanos

That is true with anyone. Rocket Raccoon is more powerful than anyone else.

Base level Thanos isn't anywhere near as strong and we still don't know what the hell he wants to do once he gets the stones.

After the film, I showed my friend what Dormammu looked like in the comics, and he admits it's a much better design. The film's look really was lame.

Only, and I repeat, ONLY if Thanos also had the Thanos Copter.

Seriously, though, just be happy if Thanos doesn't job like his comic version. They can happily make that part different from the comics.

I don't disagree with you. The idea of it is very interesting. What I'm saying is that the scene could've been executed better.

In theory, sure. But there's no reason I'm shown that would cause me to really care.

When the world is at stake everytime, no one gives a shit. The movie needs to show me some real, practical, perhaps personal reasons to invest in the movies stakes.

I just had an idea. What if they brought back Mads as a sort of avatar for Dormammu in the regular world, and he had the classic Dormammu appearance, with Mads' voice mixed in with the other two?

they're gonna make him like galactus

You show any normie a flaming head and they'll eat that shit up and 9/10 mistake then for ghost rider. Despite the changes, it's still very faithful to the original design. Only major difference is he's not a jack o lantern. They might have changed it because Surtur is coming and can't handle more than one flaming evil entity

In this election year (I don't care who anyone supports) destruction of the world seems like a blessing.

DORMAMMU 2016! The Timeless Dark Demonic Conquerer we all deserve!

>Thanos decends to earth on a high tech space helicopter
DO IT MARVEL

The difference is that we all know Thanos will get the Infinity Gauntlet while Dormamu, or any other villain 'till the end of phase 4 for the matter, won't.

So, implying Dormammu's existence makes Thanos look less of a threat is completely wrong. His status as the Final Boss of the MCU is still believable. I don't know if you read comics, but in Starlins' Thanos stories he's always against super powerful cosmic entities many more times stronger than him and somehow (via keikaku) getting on top the food chain, so, even if that were the case Thanos' might wouldn't be compromised at all.

> and we still don't know what the hell he wants to do once he gets the stones.
Are you seriously complaining because Marvel hasn't spoiled themselves?

If anything it'll be getting senpai to notice him. You should know this already.

>don't know what he'll do with the stones
Same thing he always does, try and bone Death what else? Who might I add should look full dio del los muertos sexy. Maybe cast Eva Greene, I don't know

The fact that you can't "feel" them doesn't meant there weren't any at all. Your statement was factually wrong.

And anyways, they did say what would happen to the earth and showed one part of the Manhattan shrine being absorbed into the Dark Dimension. You just couldn't get immersed.

Only if Spider-Man gets to show up in the Spider-Mobile

Fine, maybe there was some reason, but it wasn't good enough nor was it executed well enough to get me to give a shit. This is, of course, my own opinion.

Clearly, I wasn't a big fan of the movie, I thought it was pretty mediocre.

>Am I in the minority here in thinking that this movie was actually kind of lame?

Nah, it was a bog-standard Marvel origins story script with really good visuals.

Fucking hell, those visuals. I'm not sure I could have handled that in IMAX.

H O M E C O M I N G

It was a fine Doctor Strange adaptation, but it was a bland origin story that felt underwritten. It joins Thor 2 in the realm of "MCU movies I'll probably only watch once"

No I think Crossbones just created a situation that Zeno took advantage of

Well you would know, Satan.

That's possible too. Though I can see him manipulating the earlier events. It's the kind of thing he would do. Zemo very much prefers using people against each other and fueling their psychology of hatred.