Anybody checked out Gerard Way's Doom Patrol yet? What do you think?

Anybody checked out Gerard Way's Doom Patrol yet? What do you think?

Picked up the first two issues yesterday and though I'm not overly familiar with the material outside of the first arc or so of Morrison's run, I thought they were pretty solid, cool books, that seem to be building to something really interesting.

What's the rest of the Young Animal range like? Mother Panic looks pretty sweet, and the whole imprint seems like a fresh approach after so many "edgy" takes on properties of late.

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/gp/aw/d/1401272436/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1478563671&sr=8-1&pi=CB192198896_AA75_QL70&keywords=cave carson
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

First issue was okay, if too "lol weer quirky"
Second issue was stupidly better.
Gerard's voice for Cliff is perfect.

>What's the rest of the Young Animal range like?
Cave Carson #1 was good, I thought better than Doom Patrol #1 but not as good as DP #2. Nice set up for the second issue too.

Haven't checked out Shade yet. Mother Panic's art will make me pick up the first issue at least but a millionaire superhero by night in Gotham just sounds so generic to me.

#1 was made much better by #2, and I already really liked #1.
When's #3 out?

>Mother Panic's art will make me pick up the first issue at least but a millionaire superhero by night in Gotham just sounds so generic to me.
Yeah, I can't see the premise grabbing me unless the Violet being an alternate universe Kate Kane theory is true.

Wednesday

I eally liked Cave Carson.

forgot pic -
good panel layout made me pick it up at my LCS

Oh fuck yes. MP's out then too, right?

Yup

what do i need to read this and is it a honest interesting/good comic?

It's been pretty good so far, but Shade's been even better. Cave Carson is okay too. I really want YA to be successful because the industry right now isn't offering enough interesting stuff for me. I really really hope the writing in mother panic is good, otherwise it would be a waste of godtier art.

>the Violet being an alternate universe Kate Kane theory is true.
That's fucking retarded

Yes to the second question, and you don't really need to read anything to get into it, but its roots are in Morrison's Doom Patrol run, his Flex Mentallo mini, and the DP run that followed his. Female writer, can't remember her name for the life of me.

It'd be better than her just coincidentally being Batwoman But Edgier.

Rachel Pollack.

Thanks, mate!

Why exactly would it be better? And if that bothers you then you must hate the fact that there are a dozen speedsters, a dozen spider people or several Batgirls running around. Hell, you could say Batwoman is just gay Batgirl.

Shade > Doom Patrol > Cave

All of them are good tho

>What's the rest of the Young Animal range like?

I'm enjoying Doom Patrol. Shade's got this very YA novel feel. So, I'm sticking with those two.

Cave Carson was a snooze as far as I'm concerned. The character was one dimensional, the story is "MUH DEAD WIFE!" and the art -- holy shit, Oeming seems to be phoning it in. There's a lot of tall white dudes that all kinda look the same. Cave Carson himself has a beard, shaves it off then has a full grown beard a page later despite the passage of time being indicated as later in the week. It's a goddamn mess and it sucks because it had the most potential.

>doom patrol after grant morrison run

Why do they even bother?

Might as well post this here: Doom Patrol #3 preview.

Who else here got the silver age omnibus for 16 bucks? I'm really tempted to read it online, but I want to wait.

So is Way's Negative Man going to be Larry+Negative Spirit+Alien?

So what should I read before getting into these Young Animal books? Is there a rec list or something.

Never read Doom Patrol or Shade before

nothing, you can walk in with no knowleadge, they are supposed to be introducing the characters/universe to the set up is in the book itself

I understand that but then you have pages like this where I assume people who've read this before understand what's going on

Regardless is there a rec list for any of these books before YA?

Mother Panic preview right here

Doom Patrol-Grant Morrison's run
Flex Mentallo- Flex Mentallo, Man of Muscle Mystery by Grant Morrison
Shade, the Changing Man-Peter Milligan's run
Cave Carson-Not sure
And Mother Panic, as far as I'm aware, is an original character.

Thanks

I think I read they were about to release a collected edition of silver age cave carsons not sure when tho.

It'd be nice if they started collecting Milligan's Shade run again and complete it this time.

amazon.com/gp/aw/d/1401272436/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1478563671&sr=8-1&pi=CB192198896_AA75_QL70&keywords=cave carson

July 11th

We know who that character is, and the fly seems to be an important element of the story, but neither it, or the question posed in the first panel, have been explained.

i thought cave carson was picked partially because he was a literal who?

well he's up to something...

As far as i can tell the original Cave Carson stuff was like....Lost in Space i guess, but underground, not sure if they were lost or not.

but really pulpy old sci-fi type stuff. battling the mole people and all that.

sounds fun at least, i'll check it out