>Quirky, awkward, serious protagonist
>Lol so random XD wacky sidekick
>The reverse of those, with a wacky protagonist and a serious sidekick
>Cringy, unnatural-sounding dialogue that a preschooler could come up with
>Supposed lore that only attracts millennials who are just starting college
>Making said millennials the show's target audience
>Forced romance that ultimately leads nowhere
>Forced diversity for divrsity's sake
>Ugly character designs, some of which obviously have no effort or imagination put into them

And so on. Pic related seems to show potential, but even it's fallen victim to some of these tropes.

Seriously, I don't understand. What's the appeal of all this? How come no one's gotten sick of seeing this stuff yet?

Kill yourself faggot.

It's called trends.

Every decade or so cartoons have them. It's not a thing that just started to happen this generation. Go take a look at cartoons of every decade and you'll notice a similarity in most of them.

It's just the style right now, OP. These things move in waves, and we're likely not going to see something different until another 5 years.

A lot of things you've mentioned have been happening for years. Tropes/Cliches are just something that happens. As long as they're done well enough it should be fine.

>>Quirky, awkward, serious protagonist
>>Lol so random XD wacky sidekick
>>The reverse of those, with a wacky protagonist and a serious sidekick
The silly guy and the straight man is literally the oldest trope in the book.

>WHY DO STORY HAVE STORY THING?
>ME WANT CHILDREN'S CARTOON TO NOT HAVE STORY THING
>DERPDERPEDERP

those shows are "the story of a life", which translate by white people telling you the story they wrote when they were 12 and "deep" and somehow it shaped their whole life ever since so they have to tell you.
But in the end, it's generic 12 year old fantasy. self inserts + derivative content to build things, and humour that goes from "wow it's like that movie I like" to "lol farts".
If you want to sum up in one word, it's "(wo)manchildren"

why do western cartoons look like shit

God, you put so many tropes, that're common in so many shows. Heck, let me tell you something, that commonly has it.

Batman and Robin.

Boom, hit 1, 2, sometimes 3(Dick and Damian), 4, and 7.

Also, a lot of those 'tropes' are subjective.

Because there is no incentive for them not to. American audiences overall don't care about visuals in animation.

>>Making said millennials the show's target audience

>>Ugly character designs, some of which obviously have no effort or imagination put into them
These are tropes?

>Making said millennials the show's target audience
>Targeting the people who tend to watch these types of programs.

Gee I fucking wonder.

BTW how does a character incidentally being black or w/e negatively impact the show for you?

Tropes, memes, and cliches are all interchangable here. What OP meant to say was "these are all the things I don't like."

>>Quirky, awkward, serious protagonist

Because these creators define themselves through idiosyncrasies rather than accomplishment, where they are lacking.

They REALLY need to change the design of those glasses. Eveyrhting about Tulip looks ok to me except that.

I'd either make her remove the skirt and leave the leggings or remove the leggings completely and leave the short skirt.
Maybe replace both with hotpants

at least this show doesn't suffer from the cal arts meme.

Is that the noodly arms thing?

>Why do so many modern cartoons have to have one (or more) of these tropes:
Name five that have ALL of the tropes.

Because, at least according to all the threads made about this one short video, it works.

no, it's the head thing.
I'd post the gif but someone on Sup Forums is already using it. Not that I hate cal arts, but I'm sure OP does.

>pretending that the straight man/funny guy duo is a new, recent trend

This has been going on for hundreds of fucking years. It's not "modern cartoons", you're just a fucking retard.

difference between funny guy and quirky le randum . Gomer Pyle is a classic funny man in that his stupidity is balanced by the calm and reasonable nature of Andy. Characters like Finn and Jake aren't the same formula. Jake might fulfill your regular straightman role, but Finn is this obnoxious meme brand of a character that make up pretend words in substitute for actual humor. "This is totally bodonka donk, Jake." It's lazy

It's also a problem if creators need such incentives before they'll make an effort. They should have some self-motivation.

>badonka donk
Come on, man.

Because animation whether its eastern or western always fall back to their comfort zone tropes

That shit has been going on for years. Did you just miss a ton of shows, both live action and cartoon, while growing up?

>>Making said millennials the show's target audience

Because they watch it. Nigga, that's basic marketing. You put the show in front of people who are the most likely to watch it.

>difference between funny guy and quirky le randum

No there fucking isn't. Replacing "funny" with retarded buzzwords does not fucking change anything.

Isothermal new thing now

Jake isn't even a straight man. He's as weird as Finn is, he's just slightly less naive and more selfish

That's why they don't work as a duo

The anime industry does not function the same way as the American industry.

It''s not them that greenlight shows, and executives go for what is cheap.

This.

nice dubs

Yeah, cliches are even more overused over there.

No they aren't. Why are you trying to drag anime into this?

Why not pitch your own show?

deflection is tumblr master craft.

You talk like a reddi.tor and your shit's all retarded.

I don't get why people like Infinity train either.

It's no different from any new CN show and the hook is a forced mystery (which never ends well).

Shit atleast with Garden Wall I cared about the characters.

> straight man/funny guy duo
now is anything but straight, or man.

>I don't get why people like Infinity train either.
For Sup Forums, waifus. For tumblr, female main character