DUDE STYLE OVER SUBSTANCE LMAO

DUDE STYLE OVER SUBSTANCE LMAO

its what the fans want I guess

As opposed to the amazing narrative substance in the Strange comics?

He's always been a style-over-substance character, even in his best comics he's a delivery vehicle for gorgeous, trippy art.

>DUDE STYLE OVER SUBSTANCE LMAO

Formula was selling well. It's business not art.

its a visual medium, style is substance

>DUDE STYLE OVER SUBSTANCE LMAO

DORMAMMU?

I disagree with the OP, but you're a fucking mongoloid.

I hate people on Sup Forums who think they know Sup Forums because we like that movie

The only substance any Marvel movie has had is style. Doctor Strange played its part well.

nope, you're an idiot

I think that's OP's point though? All three movies had style over substance but Doctor Strange is the one movie that people got hard over? I've seen reviewers that straight up admitted that the story in Doctor Strange was weak but it looked nice so they gave it a positive review and that's a little fucky.

>it can't be both

You're the reason there's a swath of shitty, poorly written movies. People like you would eat actual shit if they spray-painted it gold, you fucking knuckledragger.

>its a visual medium
It's funny, but people who use this argument usually have no clue how to make good movies or comic books

you're actually an idiot

>I've seen reviewers that straight up admitted that the story in Doctor Strange was weak but it looked nice so they gave it a positive review and that's a little fucky.

Only if you think narrative is the most important part of a movie, in which case I hope you don't watch any action or horror films.

Plot isn't the sole deciding factor of a film's quality. There are plenty of entertaining films that work on style, it would basically be impossible to enjoy any Hong Kong action or thriller films if you only cared about cliches.

Hey, I'm not the guy who thinks looking really pretty is it all it takes to give a movie substance.

What's your favourite movie of all time? Avatar?

Get the fuck out of here, you lowest common denominator shit-eating knuckledragging double-digit IQ artistic heathen

In Hollywood Blockbuster capeshit? Nope. Too many people involved with authority with too many demands. There is no creative freedom for art for art's sake.

Never read a good comic nor seen a good film haven't you?

Leave the kid alone: if he thinks rainbows and glitter make for good movies and comics, then all you can do is give him a bowl of lucky charms and leave him to it

>Dr Strange weak story
>SS shit story

that's the difference

Have we really gotten to the point where people are really willing to overlook a weak narrative because it looked nice though?

Mad Max: Fury Road proved that you can have a fantastic looking movie with a good ,or at the very least decent, plot and I will give you movies like the RAID that had a simple plot but more than made up for it with the fight scenes. My issue with Doctor Strange is that it seems to play it safe with a weak plot and story that people admit that they're used to seeing (The Marvel Formula and this isn't a shot at Marvel at all.) but they're over looking it because the sfx was nice.

>Have we really gotten to the point where people are really willing to overlook a weak narrative because it looked nice though?

>Have we really gotten to the point

The James Bond franchise has lasted over 50 years and 26 movies and they all have pretty much the same plot and character beats to the point that the cliches are hard-wired into popular culture.

Stuff like this has always existed.

>Have we really gotten to the point where people are really willing to overlook a weak narrative because it looked nice though?

This has been a constant within cinema for ages. Not everything is Weimar Cinema, and around the 50's, one of the big draws of coming to the movies was simply the spectacle of Hollywood. Hell, The Wizard of Oz movie boiled down to its bare bones (and removing all the subtext present within the book) is the most basic version of the hero's journey, and it's still revered as a classic when its main draw was that it was in color.

Marvel movies are not trying to be Weimar Cinema. And honestly, Suicide Squad's style definitely did help it stand out from it's sub-par Snyderverse counterparts, it just needed a basic story and focus IMO to really nail it.

I really shouldn't waste my breath too much on a thread that's due for deletion due to Sup Forums memery but yeah, Fury Road is the exception for a reason. Because for every Fury Road, there's three Beyond Thunderdomes.

But I thought it had at least some substance. Sure, story was a bit weak, but it wasn't complete shit.

What I liked about it is that it didn't constantly feel like they were running. Even the last part, with the Earth about to get eaten up, didn't feel like the tension was cranked up to 11. I guess it's why I like it.

>style is solely a visual quality

But I thought it had at least some substance. Sure, story was a bit weak, but it wasn't complete shit.

What I liked about it is that it didn't constantly feel like they were running. Even the last part, with the Earth about to get eaten up, didn't feel like the tension was cranked up to 11. I guess it's why I like it.

What triggers me about this is that they couldn't even keep the style for this going. Like a good portion of the visuals in the first half were pretty stylish and vibrant like the ads showed, but the vast majority of the movie was still pretty dark and dreary.

this.

Nobody knows who this is anymore.

Dunno about "style over substance" but it certainly is a very boring movie.

Of course it's gonna be a huge box-office success because it's so bland and inoffensive and by-the-numbers that it's a perfect filler action movie.

The only scene that stuck out is when girlfriend says "You still have a lot to live for" and Strange derisively says "like you?"

The more trailers and stuff I see the less I want to watch this film. I want a psychedelic journey through the cosmos with a psych-rock soundtrack goddammit, not Marvel Movie #28.

Sup Forums has been doing that for months (ironically).

Maybe because pyschadelic trippiness is a better cinematic aesthetic than Hot Topic edge or grayscale miming of Greek pottery, Miller panels and King Arthur paintings that Snyder googled on the fly?

Or because an admittedly weak as fuck story acted well that flows passably is better than a weak story that hinges on coincidence, stupid character choices, and feels like it was edited backwards?

I wanted every cape flick this year to be good, and I've watched BvS and SS at least four times already, hoping they're better than I remember and that all the marveldrone shitposting is just that, but it's not. They're crap movies and DC's dedication to pumping them out as fast as possible while Marvel struggles to make a movie that's better than pretty decent is what's going to pop the cape movie bubble fast as fuck.

There's a difference between good visuals held together by a generic story, and good visuals held together by a barely coherent, nonsensical story with characters whose motives and actions don't even attempt to resemble those of people.

I like this movie because it makes people on Sup Forums mad.

>DUDE ORANGE AND BLUE LMAO
>good looking
Fury Road is garbage. Plot was absolute dog shit too.

Fury Road has twice the style with about the same substance of Doctor Strange.

Actually now that I think about, Fury Road's plot was even simpler/dumber than Doctor Strange, I don't get what you're complaining about here, if anything Doctor Strange would need more style and less substance to be more like Mad Max.

have we truly reached the point where even fury road must be complained about

I'm sorry not everyone thinks your shitty flick is a godsend to action movies the world has never seen before.

The difference is a combination of presentation and execution.

Superhero movies will, as a general rule, be style over substance. There are not that many superhero stories where the impressive part is the writing, and the ones that managed that have since been butchered by repitition and reimaginings.

SS and BvS both promised movies they couldn't deliver on. Their trailers were cut in a way to present much grander movies of sometimes entirely different genres than the movie we ended up with, and those movies generally just didn't hold together at all. Poor editting, convoluted tangents like dreams and flashbacks that stack on top of each other to the point that legitimately the only explanation for 'Clarke talks to his dad on a mountain' is that the whole scene is METAPHOR for Clarke's internal struggle because it doesn't fit into any part of the timeline and it isn't explicitly a dream sequence. The movies are just a mess of poor storytelling technique, nonsensical motivations, and almost nonexistence characterization.

Strange isn't a perfect movie, but it makes promises to the viewer in the trailers and the first act that the movie then fulfills. Its visual style was very neat, but it never claimed to be a movie it wasn't.

Fulfilling your promises to the reader is the most basic rule of storytelling. Its what leaves the reader satisfied with the story at the end. WB doesn't seem to understand how that works and Marvel does, and as long as that remains true then the DCCU is going to be treated like dogshit and Marvel is going to be rolling in positive reviews.