I don't know why I deluded myself into thinking this would have ended happily

I don't know why I deluded myself into thinking this would have ended happily.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ChZkTKlKMRI
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Could have been Bridge of Tears.

Man even in a best case scenario that was gonna end in heart break.

At least Usagi got to spend time with that nice peasant family, that was nice. Until Jei murdered them.

>Usagi Yojimbo
>happy
You dense motherfucker.

>fucking Hama out of nowhere

I have to applaud Stan, I didn't see that coming at all.

The soul crushing despair and misery I did see coming.

Sakai sometimes talks about efforts for historical accuracy, but then why did he delete guns? The don't just not show up, people don't even know what gunpowder is.

He also misuses the "black ship" appellation.

(this is very totally non-trivial you guys)

I just really hoped it would work out once in a while.

Usagi is literally Samurai Rabbit David Banner.

Such is karma.

Weren't guns mentioned? I'm not sure, I might be imagining it.

So far Stan's been holding off on foreign things except for the occasional reference to disease and that story about the cross, but since he's introduced a Portugese douche recently I expect to see more of it. Maybe guns too.

I would really love to see the Dutch trading colony mentioned.

People do not like him when he's angry

Karma is supposed to reward good deeds though isn't it? Usagi didn't do no one wrong.

Several times they've referred to the "foreign black powder which explodes" and once the ignorance of some bat ninja over how it works was an important plot point. This is outright a fantasy version of 17th-century Japan that has no gunnery technology.

They used gunpowder to blow up a mine before too

Weren't they fighting over a huge stockpile of gunpowder that Lord Hikiji had in Dragon Bellows Conspiracy?

Yes, and the point of that story was that the gunpowder was a unique advantage rather than a known materiel for a generation.

They were in the dragon bellow conspiracy.

But yeah, never again really.

>This is outright a fantasy version of 17th-century Japan that has no gunnery technology.

So sixteenth century japan, then?

More like fifteenth.

17th. Im pretty sure I saw actual dates being around 1605 but Im not about to look for it.

It's set at the beginning of the Edo period so starting at 1603, said wiki.

So yeah, 17th century technically.

He did, and that was the joke at the end of Senso.

Yeah, during the Grasscutter arc. Really the only time I've seen a concrete date established, and that was only because of the talk of the Shogun transferring his title over to his son.

In a color one-shot, "Green Persimmon", Lord Hijiki was supposed to receive a delivery of matchlock rifles that would aid him in his efforts to overthrow the shogun. Usagi intercepted the delivery of a ceramic persimmon with a cheap glaze job that turned out to be a map of the nearby coastline, with a blemish indicating the next full moon. Tomoe and Lord Noriko's men were able to nab the rifle shipment before Hijiki could get his hands on them.

This dude's crossed over with TMNT before, right? How is it?

See, I knew I remembered it! Thanks for clarifying user.

Eh, it's okay. I'm no turtles fan so I can't really judge. I did like Usagi showing up in the animated shows, looking forward to his appearance in the current show.

Jei's an asshole.

Aaaaaaw, silly demon.

Remember "Space Usagi"?

Remember how acceptable it was in quality?

I've actually never gotten around to reading it.

I'm not being sarcastic, btw. It really is acceptable in quality. Since regular Usagi is sometimes amazing this can be pretty disappointing.

"Senso" is fun, though.

Senso is good, but it kinda bugs me that everyone gets an ending but Sasuke. And Keiko, I guess...but she's in it, at least.

I just want him to be okay. Or dead, I guess. Either way, not being a slave to Shoki for all eternity.

He's probably going to die and it will be really sad. Even worse is that someone else will probably take up his burden. I think the only person who got an actual happy ending was Zato Ino.

>Even worse is that someone else will probably take up his burden.

True, but at least they'll be new. Sasuke has been at it for so long, death will be a release. Especially since Shoki is just relentless. Give the guy a break, my god.

I hope he at least gets to kill his ex before he dies.

Being Sasuke is suffering

I would read the fuck out of a spinoff staring him

Usagi killed A LOT of people. They might have been bad people, but a kill is a kill. Even justified, if repeated so many times it's still gonna seriously harm your karma.

>Jei murdered them
Supposedly. Shut up, I'm trying to fool myself.

Me too, but he needs a sidekick. Sasuke is too srs business.

I suppose it's possible he just orphan'd the kid. Maybe he's Keiko's new brother.

>Jei going around Japan collecting kids for some kind of twisted parody of a family

I'm not sure what's more disturbing, that or dead kids

>When Usagi kills Jei for good Keiko will be heartbroken and likely curse his name

there was a single issue about chizu and some komori ninja trying to steal the process for making gun powder from her.

Because guns are a BIG thing in samurai history, and come with a lot of political and cultural baggage.

It means the end of the samurai era and japanese isolationisim. And a turn towards industrialization and mass conscripted armies with guns.

There's good story material to work with there.

If Stan wasn't an old man, that could be in Usagi Yojimbo Shippuden

The matchlocks used in the final decades of the Warring States period (when all the major characters of UY grew up) were suppressed by the Tokugawa Shogunate after its establishment. This is the START of a period of samurai rule and isolationism and centuries before any modern-scale industry anywhere in the world.

Does he have a qt cousin?

It's a ways down the road but I wouldn't be opposed to seeing Stan's take on the bakumatsu era

It's more of a kurosawa level of fidelity than a strict historical one, with gunpowder being a superweapon.

It still wouldn't be out of place for a Nobunaga or Hideyoshi type character to show up, of if the endgame is a replay of the warring states period

The samurai party of course, is over when Perry shows up.

Last blade? His version of the Shinsengumi? Ruroni Usagi?

why is this guy who Usagi just killed/is about to kill in the middle panel shouting TROUT TROUT!

My googlefu has failed me

>The samurai party of course, is over when Perry shows up.
Well, nobody's going to live long enough for that, baring some supernatural shenanigans.

The "TROUT! TROUT!" death cry happens a couple of times. It might be a joke about the generic nature of such "dialogue"?

All of the above

The timeline is loose enough that Stan could do an Admiral Perry story, or a Ryoma story, or Shinsengumi and it would still fit, even though it's way off the timeline.

Admrial Perry would be a series finale sort of thing.

I don't think he'd be above the occasional side story either

Usagi's karma is possibly to survive through these terrible times. He does good but he is also constantly covered in blood, an actual tool of the gods.

will he ever know happiness though?

The gods do not ever promise happiness. They promise that all things will die, and all things will be broken.

what a rip

And the pain train keeps chugging along

>No batwaifu
>No merchant waifu
>No bunny waifu
And you know what sucks? There a certain page where Usagi looks at his blade and she there a tons of nicks in it. Which is ironic since he only kills in self defense

>samurai waifu about to be married off to some jerk for honor
>ninja waifu won't abandon her clan it's fate
>everyone else he meets up ends up varying degrees of dead

why hasn't Usagi just become a hermit yet. any ONE of the thing he's been through would break someone

Eh, his master is a hermit and that seems like a kind of shitty life too. And even then, people with a vendetta STILL come to fight him. Might as well travel and enjoy the sights.

Besides, if he stands still for a moment Jei will get him. WHELP.

You know Karma being out for Usagi is one thing but why does it have to drag innocents into it. She didn't do anything wrong. She just didn't want to be alone.

See

That is if she doesn't want his carrot. Though maybe she's too "innocent" for that.

The tragedy is for the first time she will truly know anger and desire for revenge thus no longer an innocent

The way of the Warrior is found in death
The way of the Destroyer is found in defeat
I, will become a ferocious demon
All the enemies standing in front of me...will be cut!

--the japanese version of the opening to samurai shodown one.

youtube.com/watch?v=ChZkTKlKMRI

That's like expecting Samurai Jack to actually get to the future

holy shit

is this real

Yep. Enjoy your trauma.

Samurai Jack goes to the future a little more every day

no i mean the actual ladder brigade thing is that real

i dont think it is

I would be inclined to believe it. Isn't it just the fire brigade using ladders creatively?

It's close enough. In that era, the firefighters were also police reservists, and use thier ladders to catch criminals and function as riot control.

Firefighting in cities made up entirely of wood and rice paper means that they had to quickly smash houses that weren't on fire, to keep shit from spreading, and that takes a lot of fighting ability, both for demolishing, and also to deal with whover is in the house, if they decided to fight back.

>It's an Inspector Ishida story

speaking of characters who need a spinoff

and after that fun little detective story we're right back to the despair we all know and ...suffer

He's apparently not based on Columbo, but I imagine him sounding and acting like him anyway.

Are you talking about the book or...?

At this point I think I may just mean life in general

Actually, he IS being accurate.
During Shogunate-era Japan guns were EXTREMELY tightly regulated, to the point that outside of a few families who were contracted to make them even owning them and being not part of a government force directly working for the Shogunate was in effect an automatic death sentence for pretty much everyone since in the Tokugawa's eyes that was high treason.

interesting

But UY is set at the very beginning of the Tokugawa era and guns were used for a few decades before that. You'd think professional soldiers like Usagi, Gen, and Tomoe would know about this weapon.

Usagi takes place 1600-1620.
Dutch colony on Dejima was later i think.

Yeah could be, I thought usagi was later for some reason.

Duuuuuude

Im really curious as to what the UY verse version of Nobunaga was like

...so if Jei is so evil, why doesn't he kill Keiko?

>Kitsune never learned her lesson

>If the decided to fight back.

Oh that's brutal.

I think is implied that she is as fucked up as him

Jei doesn't see himself as evil. Well, no more so than everyone else he murders, and believes himself a messenger of the gods out to purge the world of sin. Keiko for whatever reason is seen as innocent, but it's not really known if it's just her or children in general that are off his shit list.

Also yeah, there's something going on with that girl. She's able to recognize Jei regardless of what body he's in and even knew right away it was him when he was in a chicks body.

I predict something very bad happening to Kitsune and I can only pray Stan leaves Kiyoko out of it.

> children in general

I doubt it due to that one story....

Although he spared the sick girl too. Hmm.

That ended with some ambiguity, without really being able to see the fall out it's hard to say. Though I can't think of terribly many people Jei just walked past

What samurai comic has the happiest ending? I must admit to getting some warm feels from Takemitsu Zamurai at the end. Lone Wolf and Cub had a positive ending in a really fucked-up way.