Old-time Excalibur continuity question

So I just had an odd thought. Kitty Pryde first appears right at the beginning of the Dark Phoenix Saga. She makes a fleeting, passing acquaintance of the Phoenix then, who retroactively wasn't actually Jean at all. The Phoenix dies immediately afterwards and Kitty joins the team shortly thereafter.

For the next 80 issues or so, Kitty is a member of the team while Jean is out of the picture then appears in X-Factor. At around the time of Uncanny X-Men #230, she leaves to form Excalibur, having never met the real Jean.

From that point on, there's VERY little interaction between Excalibur and the X-Men that I can think of, and I can't recall Kitty appearing in an X-Men book until #303, which is a Jubilee-centric issue, and then Kitty is gone again.

Kitty doesn't properly rejoin the team until #360, at which time Jean was away from the team.

What I'm wondering is, was there a story during these years in Excalibur where the two of them might have met? When would their first meeting have been?

Because as it stands, it occurs to me that between her joining the team in #130 or so and Claremont's return to Uncanny in issue #381, the two of them might have actually never met!

Shit, I can't think of any notable interactions.

I will point out though that Kitty rejoined the team before 381. Excalibur was cancelled and Kitty, Collossus, and Nightcrawler were brought back into the team during the Seagle/Kelly era.

That's true! But at that time Jean and Scott weren't a part of the team. 381 is the first time I can think of them being on the team simultaneously.

Jean and Kitty's first meeting was on the issues before the Phoenix saga happened when Kitty debuted. As a matter of fact, Jean saved her at first. That would be the only time they have actually interacted in a friendly manner on-panel.

Kitty and Jean met again when they reunited with the X-Men on Excalibur 41. Those X-Men were Warwolves though, so the long awaited reunion happened off-panel. Jean and Kitty met again on Excalibur 52 but that issue was more focused on Rachel and Kitty still wasn't too friendly with Jean.

So yeah, Kitty and Jean have met before but they were never really good friends to begin with and Jean certainly never was Kitty's teacher on any capacity. Which makes that Bendis page extremely retarded.

>Jean and Kitty's first meeting was on the issues before the Phoenix saga happened when Kitty debuted. As a matter of fact, Jean saved her at first. That would be the only time they have actually interacted in a friendly manner on-panel.

Yeah, I remember that story. I was just thinking that since that was retconned as not actually being Jean but the Phoenix taking her form, the first actual meeting between Kitty and the real Jean wouldn't have been for many years afterwards.

What a shame that there wasn't the opportunity to have a "So, hey, we've never actually met, have we?" moment between them in light of the extreme oddity of a pair of characters as major as these having never actually crossed paths before then.

>So yeah, Kitty and Jean have met before but they were never really good friends to begin with and Jean certainly never was Kitty's teacher on any capacity. Which makes that Bendis page extremely retarded.

Well, that's sort of Bendis's whole schtick, isn't it?

Maybe Kitty is confusing Jean with Madelyne Pryor

I don't think so. Kitty participated on Inferno and talked with the New Mutants after it, so she should know the difference between Jean and Madelyne.

Well that was informative

Moreover, Kitty met and interacted with Maddie back when she and Scott were dating, and so there's little room for confusion on her part there.

So, again, I wasn't reading Excalibur at the time, so perhaps you can help me with a little context here.

I know when Warren Ellis took over the book a while later he said that he was writing Kitty as a twenty-one year old. She was thirteen when she was introduced. So in this scene, she'd be what? Around nineteen or thereabouts?

Hard to believe that only a couple of years ago it was still acceptable for a strong female character like Storm to dress sexy. Today it's all full-body suits and overalls and other boring as fuck stuff.

For a LONG time Storm was totally comfortable just getting naked and going out for a fly or a walk or whatever. I don't think she was being written as an exhibitionist per se but I do think that she was someone who literally did not give a shit who saw her body. It was just a part of her character.

Talking about ages in comics is a dead end. It's usually best to just accept Marvel time and ignore any reference said in the comics. I believe that by the time that scene happened, Kitty was still sixteen. Then again, it was imposible for Kitty to be twenty-one years old when she was dating Wisdom. She was probably seventeen then.

Marvel time isn't even consistent. Different characters in different books age at different rates.

To be fair it was probably claremont's fetish, and she stopped doing it even during his run (really the nudist Storm stuff stopped when punk Storm happened, more or less).

Oh, it was definitely one of his various fetishes, which persisted quite a ways. Remember when Kitty's phasing powers went into overdrive and she couldn't maintain a solid form outside of the special tank Doctor Doom built for them? Naturally her clothes faded away and she was hanging around naked all day long in there.

Not as persistent as his body transformation/mindrape stories. Those he kept doing all the way up until today. Remember when Claremont had Big Barda transformed into a meek sex doll for one of his OCs?

This art of Storm is fucking delicious

and don't forget every female character is basically bisexual by default

That was Byrne. I don't think Claremont ever wrote any New Gods stuff.

It was Claremont.

>really the nudist Storm stuff stopped when punk Storm happened

It's almost like her character changed bc of what she'd gone through

>Idiot actually reading benis garbage and trying to make sense of it.

it makes sense

Damn, lookit that meek sex doll.

to be fair, there so much Kitty wanking going on middle age writers (Whedon, Bendis, even Ellis) that it makes sense they confuse their headcanon with actual canon

This was supposed to play up her 'exotic african' heritage. She was supposed to be someone from a different culture that didn't have western hangups about nudity.

Claremont's heart was in the right place, but at the end of the day, this portrayal is kind of PROBLEMATIC.

I mean that sincerely, and using the word properly, as opposed to the way that tumblr jackasses use it.