You know, I cringed when people complained about quips in MCU movies. But this is it...

You know, I cringed when people complained about quips in MCU movies. But this is it. At this point this is no longer just lighting the mood, now quips actually ruin all tension and drama.
>strange wants to grab an axe but wacky cape won't let him
How can anyone take anything that happens in the movie after that with any seriousness at all?

after watching BvS I always watch marvel and their quips to brighten up my day

You didn't have a problem with it during Avengers 2?

Avengers 2 was a mediocre movie at best even without th quips. Strange could be one of the best in the MCU if not for them. So I guess it's just more noticeable now.

But that's a slapstick visual gag, not a quip.

The point was that the Cape knew the better thing to use

Sure, ha ha, it's so silly that it's dragging him away from the weapon but it's also playing into the theme of broadening your horizons and thinking outside of just hitting someone

The movie need more of that and less Matrix fighting

The cape was directing him to something that would more effectively trap the villain. It was comedic, but it wasn't pointless. The cape wasn't actually just trying to be "wacky" it just knew more than him.

Snyderfags aren't familiar enough with humor to understand the difference between different kinds of humor. It's all foreign to them.

So, you're saying it was capeshit?

I'm hoping that the reason nobody is bitching about the cloak beating up a guy in its own is because people know that was genuinely a thing Strange did in the comics.

This was definitely the first time I felt a Marvel film was brought down by the humor and insertion of levity where it wasn't appropriate.

The Cape bit wasn't one of them, though. The Cape was actually trying to direct him towards a more effective weapon. It contributed to the scene in a meaningful way, and helped characterize an animate, but mute, piece of clothing.

I really don't see what upset people, with this scene.

Cape has a mind of its own and know better than strange what to do.

This scene seemed natural to me.

I thought it was kinda funny the first time the cape yanked him and would've been fine if he got the hint but they dragged it on too long.

I liked that scene. The part where we was about to go face Kaecellius and the Cape tickled his face or whatever was what irritated me.

I think it was wiping his tears.

Okay, if the cape bit wasn't part of it, which humor did bug you?

Stop watching capeshit and watch Jack Reacher or Hacksaw Ridge instead.

ITT: people try to explain to a low IQ person about "magic in movies".

not the same user, but I felt the "Mister Doctor" scene was completely out of place considering Mads' character had just killed a guy and was going to do the same to Strange.

At least pretend you're not in Sup Forums, user.

To be fair he also tried to recruit him, maybe he was trying to establish a rapport?

Not him but that Wong gags is the epitome of what I don't like about the humor in these movies

The stand out was Wong's forced laughter at the very end. Let's see, 'Wi-fi password' comes to mind.

I think in a lot of instances though, the quip or joke they went with just didn't fit the tone that the scene had established.

But visual humor and physical comedy during a fight scene is almost never out of place.

In that moments defense, it's probably the most memorable thing Mads did in the film.

Also it set up for Strange blowing up at the Ancient One and Mordeau shortly after, about how he's a Doctor, and very much averse to killing people. Solid character building.

>Wi-fi password' comes to mind.
It would be better if it was actually shown further that their whole compound is more civilized than one could think, like having electrical lighting, and some other technology, not just wi fi and a music player.

>How can anyone take anything that happens in the movie after that with any seriousness at all?

Would you rather see everything played straight to the point of grimdarkness? Would you rather remove all humor, all jokes, all sense of humanity from the film?

Because that's how you end up with the DCEU.

There's such a thing as a middle ground, you know. Quips during moments of levity, jokes while building rapport between characters and humanizing them are great. But maybe tone it down during the climax and serious moments and big fights?

They don't have to be grimdark, but the cape directing him to cage device and some other things, like it wiping the tears could've been done in serious tones. As they are they completely break any and all tension and drama. I'm not saying the movies should be devoid of humour, but it just feels like they had some sort of quota to fill - that every 2-3 minutes there has to be a quip or a gag there, or the movie wouldn't get made.

It amazes me the amount of retards making threads like this all day every day since the movie came out, are this people bots or paid retards to give free publicity to a certain movie/series/comic in forums?

People are just sick of the cookie cutter capeshit Marvel keeps shitting out.

That actually works for the character. Later on, we see that Strange is distraught over killing that Dormammu cultist, even in self-defence.

The cape is stopping Strange doing something that he'll regret.It knows him better than himself.

Being light-hearted goes hand-in-hand with being a good movie.

Marvel doesn't need to change a thing.

So why is it doing so well at the box office?

Because people are idiots. Why do you think the Transformer movies keep making a billion each?

>It knows him better than himself.
didn't it just meet him though?

>Being light-hearted goes hand-in-hand with being a good movie.
Are you really this much of a pleb?

The same reason McDonalds is successful.

People aren't idiots. They just enjoy indulging in things without substance.

>Being light-hearted goes hand-in-hand with being a good movie.
Right. Being light hearted is what made The Dark Knight good, or Burton's Batman for that matter, or Blade, good. And fant4stick was shitty solely because it lacked humor, not because it was badly written, played or paced. There is more than one way to make a good movie, you know, even within the confines of capeshit

eggs dee ids a hero movi

y take serious ever???

Only like ironically! Turn off brain!
:DDD

They didn't emphasize it as much as they should have but remember that Mordo said Stranges relic would choose him, not the other way around

>People aren't idiots.

go away, Sup Forums
no one likes you

>took him until 2016 to realize the problem with quips
It's your own fault

If you don't set up that they have wifi in that seen, then you don't get the "Strange sending female-love-interest emails" later.

Jack Reacher 2 fucking sucked user

>played straight to the point of grimdarkness

>playing things straight instantly turns things grimdark
Marvel fans, everyone. You absolutely CAN'T like comic book stories unironically, it has to be made fun of. NERDS!

Seriously, I don't know how a comic fan can still like Marvel despite this.

>le religion man saves a bunch of unenlightened athiests
No thanks

Whoa really? That sounds great. I wasn't interested at first, but now...

There's a difference between irony and levity in the same way there's a difference between humor and camp

Pic sorta related

They were meaningless, you might have well.had him sending regular letters then you might have gotten a good emotional scene with him trying to write with his shaky hands

I didn't find the cap as bad you guys described. The whole axe thing was set up and payoff with that bondage device.

>I'm gonna watch crap just so I can get one over those pesky atheists

Hey user, go check out the God's Not Dead movies. I bet you'd love them.

>Would you rather see everything played straight to the point of grimdarkness? Would you rather remove all humor, all jokes, all sense of humanity from the film?
Heaven forbid about a war between sorcerors and an extradimensional, borderline Lovecraftian entity trying to eat our world isn't sanitized into a jokey, campy where even the costumes are "lel so quirky XD"

yeah this, way to miss the point completely OP. It was played in a humorous way but what that cape was doing was completely serious.

I feel like the jokes in this move weren't THAT bad in concept, but the way they were filmed made it feel like watching a sitcom

Wong, man. Jesus christ. I was fine with him being stoic, I was fine with him secretly listening to Beyonce. But that laughter at the end, that was the most forced thing in the entire movie.

Not sure what the problem is with the wifi password though.

>People aren't idiots.

Meanwhile, Americans allowed people like Trump and Clinton get this far.

Well, one could say you let us let them

>mentions "cringing" when he hears people complaining about MCU quips, expresses displeasure at a visual gag
>automatically gets called a "Snyderfag"

Apparently you're not "familiar enough" with reading comprehension. Maybe you should read up on it while you grow a thicker skin.

They actively make fun of the characters unlike in Donner's Superman where he's played straight despite having humor or Dark Knight where he's play overly serious despite also having humor.

Yeah the moment he said "I don't laugh" I was like, "Okay, he'll laugh at the end."

I just wanna see a full hour of that acid trip sequence at the beggining

#triggered

Don't you have somewhere else to tip your fedora?

>Dark Knight where he's play overly serious despite also having humor.
He's not. The situations are serious but the vast majority of humor in those movies comes from the characters lamshading how crazy or ridiculous the BAtman and the villains are, same as the Marvel movies.

>Hey I like shit movies
>Here's more shit movies
>LOL TRIGGERED I FUCKING GOT YOU HAHAHAHA

see I fail to see what you mean unless you consider it essential that the scene had to be humorous

That's what annoyed me about those movies, it really felt like Nolan and Goyer wanted to write straight crime epics instead of superhero movies.

Doesn't even comprehend what's being said. No wonder you're an atheist.

>You know, I cringed when people complained about quips in MCU movies. But this is it. At this point this is no longer just lighting the mood, now quips actually ruin all tension and drama.

Goyer comes off like he got trapped in the wrong career or something

>it makes fun of muh atheism, it's therefore shit!!!

>The point was that the Cape knew the better thing to use

Plus the axe meant that he was going to kill him. The cape tried to keep him from doing that.

Didn't really matter because he killed the other guy though.

how would you show the cape pulling him in a different direction than he wanted to go and not have people laugh? That's probably the best example of how humor is supposed to work; taking an image that would just naturally appear humorous and playing it straight.

I didn't hate Hacksaw Ridge cause of the underlying implications, I just don't like the idea of glorifying a man who wouldn't pick up a gun to fight for his comrades. Religion is not an excuse to be a pussy.

For one thing, it didn't need to show him literally run in place like it's a wacky cartoon.
OP here
Joke's on you, I thought BvS sucked. I don't want MCU to be grimdark. But there's a right tome for a humor and wrong time for humor. Having a gag like that in a middle of otherwise serious and emotional fight just ruins the mood for me.

You're an idiot son

>Joke's on you, I thought BvS sucked.
Big mistake, buddy. Very big mistake.

FUCK YOU CARLOS

Yeah you say this now, but in DCEU threads...

This thread is full of morons who dislike the humor but when people call them out they suddenly go silent

>people saying these things are also the types that said BvS was deep
Lmao you guys are ridiculous. The movie is good. That's why it's rated highly. If these movies were as shallow and bland as you're saying critics would be reaming them. Yet the opposite happens and most of the films are good to great.

I honestly didn't care that much about whether you were a Snyderfag or not, what annoyed me is you stated that quips were ruining all tension, and then listed something that is not a quip in any sense of the word as an example. Quips are witticisms a character says. They're a very specific kind of word-based humor Joss Whedon is fond of, and got more heavily associated with the MCU after the Avengers featured a lot of them. So much so that it's become a meme to accuse the MCU of quips whenever there's any kind of comic relief, even when it's not a quip at all. That's what is annoying to me, that you're basing your opinions off of memes.

>Big mistake, buddy. Very big mistake.
*unsheathes katana*

This can't be real.

*unsheathes Harley*

Because the cape knew he'd get fucking killed if he grabbed the axe, either by being outskilled in combat or the axe might have had some fucking crazy curse on it. It was trying to drag him to the rape cage.

I thought that was really clear, are there really people confused about that scene?

Cry more.

Different guy but Wongs laugh at the end bugged me (mostly cause the joke wasn't really funny). I think the cape wiping the tears bugged me the most because that did feel like it killed all emotions

Denial isn't just a river in Egypt :^}

There's an important thing to remember. Iron Man the movie was made before Disney bought Marvel. The quips in it came naturally, reflected the character, and were actually not too bad comparatively speaking. Ever since that became popular and Disney took the helm, quips have been inserted into the movies and I do mean inserted. They don't come naturally. They're added because market research indicated that a moment of levity was needed at that moment in the movie or audiences would get bored. These movies are all made by a committee now. They care about pleasing the most broad of audiences possible.

So there's your monkey paw, comic book fans. Your favorite characters are getting movies in an era where cinematic creativity is virtually nonexistent. Prepare for your favorite obscure character to be dumbed down and turned into a quip machine.

And DC fans, don't think you have it any different because you don't. We won't see a truly "great" superhero movie in our lifetimes I imagine. That would require creativity which neither publisher's parent companies care about.

>I thought that was really clear, are there really people confused about that scene?
People question really obvious things in Marvel movies and then pretend it's a plothole or something dumb all the time

Mister Doctor was the standout but it got a little redeemed by
>Maybe it is. Who am I to judge?

Sure, my bad
But that changes nothing. It's still misplaced humor that ruins a scene.

>the joke wasn't really funny
That was the point. The humor came from Wong laughing at some dumb comment rather than any of the funnier quips Strange had throughout the movie. I can understand not finding the scene funny, but if you can't understand the intended humor of the scene you're genuinely stupid.

Also, I feel like it's lost on most people that the movie in a subtle way referenced and took the piss out of marvel quips with Wing doing it the most. His comment to strange after he went through the list of one name singers about "Does that work for you" built on the fact that the quips weren't that funny. The scene of him laughing at the end was another example.

>We won't see a truly "great" superhero movie in our lifetimes I imagine

ok then

I'd like to be sheathed in Katana, if you know what I mean.

>And DC fans, don't think you have it any different because you don't. We won't see a truly "great" superhero movie in our lifetimes I imagine.
BvS. Checkmate.