Is Sup Forums an echo chamber?

There was a poll thread for presidential prference on Sup Forums yesterday
>
(archived)

I'm sure nobody will be surprised at the results (still compiling by state, will delivar).

My question is, do Trump supporters come here mainly because the way they like to banter is discouraged in other forums, or is it because there really is no viable alternative in this election (which I won't even try to dispute)?

If the former, do we really want Sup Forums to represent "a situation in which information, ideas, or beliefs are amplified or reinforced by transmission and repetition inside an 'enclosed' system, where different or competing views are censored, disallowed, or otherwise underrepresented." There are plenty of those out there, which is why most of us are here. Is the tone of the rhetoric by the loud majority discouraging others to broaden and enrich our debates. It's about quality, challenge yourselves, if you've got the sack.

If the latter, can we start talking about how to change the political system, it's not acceptable to have primaries which limit our choices, to have poor quality information to base our judgments on.

Again, I don't care who you support or why, just trying to gauge the actual state of this board.

Compiling the state by state results of that poll, will post within the hour.

telling you fuck off kike is not the same as having you banned.

now fuck off kike

sage

Preliminary results are as lopsided as you'd expect.
Totals are of Electoral Votes from all states in which candidate's supporters mere in the majority polled. Didn't assign states where the vote was split, or no one from that state responded
270 to win
18 Hillary Clinton
411 Donald Trump
27 Gary Johnson
0 Jill Stein
18 Other
0 None
0 Undecided

28 Split
90 Null

Will post specifics when I have a chance, discuss if you have a minute to bump the thread.

I think we're all here because you can't say what you want and won't get banned. Thanks, but no thanks.

>namefagging

Reddit is censored by user upvote faggotry or moderators outright removing things they don't like.

You are your words here. If it's an echo chamber it's only because there's a consensus among the users. No upvotes to hide things you don't like and show the things you do.

>consensus
>implying majority rule=consensus
I'm arguing there is not consensus, because opposing points of view are being excluded, just like on reddit, through other mechanisms obviously. What might those mechanisms be on an anonymous board?

>(((Independent))) Thinkers

forgot my obligatory argument-winning smug anime girl

Excluding alternative view points, good on ya for proving my point

You don't win at consensus

There are some stormfaggots here but it's only about 15-20% of the board. The rest don't believe or only satirically believe in a Worldwide Conspiracy By The Jews To Destroy Every Good Thing That Has Ever Existed (tm)

Yes , pol is an echo chamber of confirmation bias

but we can see through shills like you

if you were here longer you would see moments where people actually change their minds or concede certain points away from the stereotypical neo-nazi/stromfront and Russian propaganda

I honestly don't have an agenda, I wanted to get some information out, and understand more about how things work here
I appreciate your candor, who do you think I'm shilling for?

someone has to play devils advocate

I'm here because I can say whatever the fuck I want here without mods shoving their boots up my ass

>if you agree on things ur just an echo chamber hahah pwnd
your thread is stupid and so are you

All day every day we have Hillary pro shill threads, pro communism shit, ancap shit, and other retarded shit with zero substance shitposting all through this board. That's posted just as much as the opposing views are, it just doesn't have a leg to stand on so cries "echo chamber" and other shit to compensate.

The fact is, Sup Forums is not a safe space for anyone. You can post any shit you want and if it has merit it will endure. Most visitors aren't used to their bullshit being challenged and having to actually verify their opinion with logical and data and don't know how to handle it.

As for an "echo chamber", idk but is there any thing wrong with repeating something that is true? There seems to be this idea that just because someone else holds and opinion, you aren't also allowed to. This is a terrible way to be, as you are essentially encouraging everyone to actively ignore and sustain each ogres opinions and active discussion in general.

TL;DR
>calling Sup Forums an echo chamber is a deceitful tactic to dismantle constructive discussion on Sup Forums

I totally get the leisure aspects of this forum. I totally get the sample thread I picked was nothing to be taken seriously. It's like a parody where 10 guys take the field against one. I'm just curious if people who come here for the first time see that and are turned off by it.

>through other mechanism
Name one

people probing and gathering information about the demographics, building profiles that will be used to justify censorship over the internet

we have seen blatent data mining through personality tests, links to other websites that can pick up your IP, shilling of alternative media platforms, applications marketed as "the alternative to SJW media"

>Is Sup Forums an echo chamber?
No. People agreeing and having the same views in general does not make a place an echo chamber.
Differing opinions are not censored in any way.
>people telling you to fuck off because they dislike you =/= being banned or having your comments deleted

People disagree all the time, OP just suffers from a weak backbone. He couldn't handle the bantz and now he needs to dry the tears from his eyes.

oh, the pol facebook group

google documents via google accounts

youtube videos

yeah, real smart guys, all honeypots

>inb4 so is Sup Forums, we all know the possibility

You can spread your shit here if you want, but you'll get shit in return. Don't walk into the kitchen if you're not prepared to handle the heat, faggot.

>I'm arguing there is not consensus, because opposing points of view are being excluded,

AND YET
HERE YOU ARE

The difference is, on Reddit, your view is censored by the community via the karma system, or outright censored/banned by the mods.

I don't know why people conflate "people on Sup Forums don't agree with me" with "Sup Forums is an echo chamber!!!". Sure, people on here will often be mean and nasty in their replies, but nonetheless, there's plenty of conversation to be had if that's *actually* what you're looking for (I say "actually" because all too often, opposing views are presented in the form of a shitpost, which is part of why Sup Forums is so hostile to them in the first place.) If you can articulate your views in a logical manner and not in shitpost form, you likely are going to get some people that debate your point, but again, this is Sup Forums, so don't expect them to be nice and friendly.

Of course, Sup Forums's views tend to skew towards the right-wing; however, you'll find a plethora of people across the spectrum, really. Certainly, even among the right-wing elements, there are people that don't like/trust Trump, or otherwise begrudgingly accept him. At any rate, I think most people realize he's our best option out of the bunch. Keep in mind that a bunch of people on Sup Forums voted Obama back in '12, simply because they felt he was the best option out of the bunch (I know a lot of the old screencaps give the impression that Sup Forums was overwhelmingly pro-Romney, but that wasn't really the case. Don't misunderstand me, however, neither candidate was particularly popular, a lot of Sup Forums was behind Ron Paul).

Also, keep in mind that general elections always tend to shift the behaviors and userbase of Sup Forums, PARTICULARLY this one; this is to say, we're getting a huge amount of crossposters from Reddit, and a lot of the conventional conversation on Sup Forums (such as NatSoc sentiment) has been pushed to the wayside in favor of monitoring the general election and rooting for Trump.

Basically lad Sup Forums does have a set group of beliefs shared by most of the user base, no one disputes this (despite le ebin ">Sup Forums is one person" meme)

and yes we do have lots of retards (especially among the Trumpgen group) who do nothing but scream
>FUCKING SHILL
at any opposing opjnion but no one here reports people for having opposing opinions, in fact there are shills here and they do not get banned

this is why Sup Forums, despite having a lot of shared beliefs, is not an echo chamber
opposing ideals are welcome to argue for themselves here
I am not saying they won't be treated with disdain by a large amount of the people here, they might depending on the view, but they will not get banned & they will not be silenced
they are free to talk here.

>Sup Forums is one person
>Sup Forums supports trump
>this place isn't full of shills
(you) faggot

Yes and it's not even close.

No. This site is anarchy with very limited power to moderators and rules in general, no voice goes unheard and we all agree because were not retarded cattle. This wouldn't be okay in real life but on the internet it is amazing, Sup Forums is more of a democracy than anywhere in the physical world. It is not an echo chamber, a majority simply agrees in the end because we aren't blinded by bullshit.

There is a thread about a presidential poll, every six hours. Waste of time to vote on any of them.
I was here before the election, and I don't support Trump.

I fucking despise Clinton with every fiber of my being, and until you CTR garbage pushers came around, this was actually a decent place to share dissenting opinions.

I have no problem sharing my views in an adult manner here. Possibly you are just socially retarded?

This will answer your question

>I have no problem sharing my views in an adult manner here. Possibly you are just socially retarded?
This basically sums it up honestly

if you act like a retard and screech like an autist you will be treated like a retard and an autist

if your opinions are clearly bias or retarded and can be disputed simply by lurking for a week you'll get laughed at

>memes will prove my point!
Aha nice meme my man!

>being this new
wew las

Moderators/admins have little power mostly because they're human and can't work hard/fast enough to clean the piss out of the ocean before more piss has been pissed into it.

a circle jerk and an echo chamber

Of course it is.
Most people here never go outside and have no outside how real people think and function.

>The rest don't believe or only satirically believe in a Worldwide Conspiracy By The Jews To Destroy Every Good Thing That Has Ever Existed (tm)

Like In said in another thread, you need to be fucking blind or brainwashed to not see the (((PATTERNS))).
Sure not all jews as in the average wagecuck normie in IsraHELL, but you can't deny the western elites and policy makers are overwhelmingly jewish.

>if you post on a Laotian weaving forum you're automatically a basement dwelling sociopath

If you post on this one, yes you are.

Sup Forums is not an echo chamber. The claim is simply a lie. If you come in and openly shill, you are called a shill. If your argument just so happens to be a list of JIDF data points, you will be called JIDF.

If you're an actual leftist and want to have an actual conversation, that happens all the time. The complaints and the cries of shill come when someone comes into a thread, repeats some trash full of buzzwords that has been said a thousand times already, and then leaves without responding or defends the garbage in a robotic and unthinking way.

Similarly it is not an "echo chamber" to delete WHITE BOI niggerdick threads. Those aren't arguments or ideas, they're spam.

You can call Sup Forums an echo chamber when we do what cripplechan did and actually fucking BAN anyone who expresses any leftist ideas from the board, creating a segregated /leftypol/ to contain them. That's fucked up, that's what creates an echo chamber.

Still hasn't answered

Who does the (you) include, is the question? It does not see representative of Sup Forums as a whole in many of the threads that aren't explicitly soliciting a certain point of view is my observation.

Just got back.
Not sure what's so offensive about my question, there was nothing implied. The majority belief on Sup Forums seems to be that if the majority of people agree on something that makes it true. Argumentum ad populum. It's a fallacy that hurts honest debate.

Sounds dangerous. Should I be worried?

Don't get me wrong, Sup Forums is ideal, it just seems like there's legitimate criticism if there are a lack of dissenting opinions here. Trying to probe for what the lack of diversity might be. The validity of your 'truth' isn't proven by it's local popularity.

That's not a method of exclusion, quit dodging my question

It's not the color of the bantz I object to, it's the volume.

And here WE are, ftfy

If you thought the question was invalid, and there's zero chance Sup Forums is as much of an echo chamber as reddit, you would have said pass to this thread

Sup Forums is a safe space for the alt-right and outright neonazis.

As you can see on the example of your thread, non-dominant views don't get engaged with arguments, but are shut down with insults and memes.

I'm here accidentally to screenshot some stuff for another discussion, your thread just caught my eye. My advice is give up, these people are as emotionally invested in their politics as you can get and any attempt at discussion outside their worldview is literally futile. Just accept batshit scum exists and move on with your life, you won't accomplish anything because you will get outyelled 1000 to 1 every time and people like their safe spaces.

>there are people that don't like/trust Trump, or otherwise begrudgingly accept him
that's my personal view, and that's what I mean by consensus. But just beacuse I can live with Trump, doesn't mean that if some one has an argument along the lines of "No way that guy can be allowed to have the reigns of power because of X", that argument is savaged, regardless of its merit.

It's the 'underrepresented' part I'm concerned about. De facto, if not de jure. "Diversity" isn't a priority for me. If a Chomsky-tier cadre invaded Sup Forums and blue-pilled everyone, I'd be just as concerned

Most of the insult is coming from the anti-Sup Forums posters
You try to act impartial yet wilfully ignore what goes against your pre-formed conclusion

>non-dominant views don't get engaged with arguments, but are shut down with insults and memes.

maybe because the arguments all revolved around DRUMPF IS A TOTAL RACIST DID U HEAR DAVID DUKE ENDORSED HIM

Thanks for the concise answers to the question posed

>Possibly you are just socially retarded?
Possibly. But if I see something inconsistent, I have a curiosity to find out why. Those polls reinforce something that isn't representative. Isn't calling bullshit accepted here? A concurrent thread with the one I cited whined incessantly about national polling.

Spamming this board with Occupy Democrats images and saying DRUMP BTFO LMAO POL IS FINISHED XDDD isn't the same as coming here for discussion/debate.

The question is, has an argument come along that's had merit?

Just because every argument is shot down SO FAR, so mean every possible one would be.

has anyone ever been banned for having the wrong opinions?
Is there an institutional mechanism that expells people based on their beliefs?

no, so fuck off, you're just retarded and have nothing to offer

Difference is opposing opinions to the hivemind on reddit get down voted into oblivion to mrver br seen or even deleted by fascists mods.

Here you get called a shill (which most of the time is accurate) and that's about it. There isn't censorship of opinions here unlike reddit.

Everywhere you go there will be majority opinion. The difference is censorship of opposing views.

Doesn't mean*

We over power them and make it clear we don't care. Just look at what/sp/ did around the time of GG.

Maybe we can self-police and respect each other others pools, if you like swimming in piss, I'll down a gallon and gladly contribute, but please empty your bladder before entering mine.
If there were some seriousness taken at times, people might actually gain some clarity about wtf to do with the shitstorm we wander through daily.

Also mods on reddit literally ban people they disagree with.

>has anyone ever been banned for having the wrong opinions?
Yes. Germans in Germany for disliking their tanned brothers, for example.

Again, I don't have the answer, I'm just looking at the results of one instance, seemed pretty skewed, and wondered 'why is that?' and 'Is this common?' and "Is that the kind of environment where we can get some clarity, or will the waters always be muddy?'

If 90% of the people here today say they are voting Trump, will that make a bit of difference in November, and what about the people who say their vote doesn't matter anyway? How do they feel any better because they were on the 'winning' side of a pointless survey?

Like I said, if it's not a problem, and nobody cares about the issue, not sure why anyone showed up here to post, unless you thought my intent was to prove that Sup Forums sucks or raid your precious kiddie pool solo.

>reading comprehension

I appreciate the passion you express, it makes me want to lurk here more. The ability to express ideas unfettered is sorely lacking in general society. Being challenged is rare.

I'm only questioning because I hate to see things get out of balance, but it looks like Sup Forums is in good hands.

We do not exclude others opinions, we simply tell those with factually wrong opinions that we have already disproved them and that they should bring something new to the table.

Fucking shill.

yeah man case in point. I tried to warn the Bernouts and got banned from /sandersforpresident with a quickness.

QUIZ TIME!!!
>commies post on Sup Forums
>nationalists post on Sup Forums
>pol is an echo chamber
one of the three statements is false. which one is it???

>Implying I didn't understand what did you meant by that post
It was on purpose, Ahmed.

Lurk more faggot

hilarious

none of them are.

>Again, I don't have the answer, I'm just looking at the results of one instance, seemed pretty skewed, and wondered 'why is that?' and 'Is this common?' and "Is that the kind of environment where we can get some clarity, or will the waters always be muddy?'

You're a massive faggot who has no fucking point.

>Unless a demographic is always equally divided you can't get "clarity", the waters are muddy because to many of you "whites" are on Sup Forums.

Get fucked you multicultural loving faggot pushing for the destruction of white lands (Sup Forums) you don't like because they're aren't diverse enough for you.

Enjoyed this.

Sup Forums is addictive, it's a great thing for so many. We need our boundaries as much we need our liberties.

I'm not making an effort for those with the extreme views, just the quiet ones whose contributions might be wasted.

>disagree with holocaust denial
>disagree with Jewish conspiracy
>admit Trump says and does stupid shit
>point out lies and myths about Hillary
I'm probably missing stuff.

People deny this board is an echo chamber yet you can find plenty of threads where the only post with over 5 replies is something going against the hivemind and being responded to with nothing but "shill"

"shill" is a term used by people who believe they're so infallibly correct that the only way someone could disagree with them is if they were paid to lie.

شكرا :^)

Not accusing Sup Forums of systematically excluding anyone, but are there tendencies in the culture here to push away certain points of view?
Is Every Clinton supporter a shill? According to the majority, certainly, have I heard a good pro-Clinton argument here, Never. Why? It really makes you think (hint:the right answer is that consensus is not a priority)

If you have facts on your side, Sup Forums will agree with you. Just try to back up your statements with some statistics.

It seem like you just get butthurt when others disagree with you.
Doesn't matter how many does they have that right if you believe the shit you post ignore the ones you think are "shills" and reply to those who counter argued your posts.

But that's too hard for you faggots isn't it.

My intention in this thread was not to disagree that reddit is unworthy of our brilliance or our mirth. But you guys have to admit, there is a *bit* of hivemind, even if it's not structurally reinforced.

How do you even draw a line where that threatens us from collectively finding the 'best and brightest' arguments?

oh and "redpill" is nothing more than trying to attach merit to your argument by saying the reason people don't agree with you is solely because the truth is harsh. It's been adopted by everyone to the point where it no longer has any value.

I've lurked this board for years and I've never considered myself part of a group or in some club or a "Sup Forumsack". Identity politics and groupthink are terrible things that only lead to ignorance.

>ignore the ones that call you shill
That's usually all of them. There usually are no counter-arguments.

Do you even lurk here?

Because nobody in their right mind is pro Hillary. She has a terrible track record and she's a bad person too. I see trump supporters and people who dislike both but I'm hard pressed to find non- idiots who actually are pro Hillary.

I don't understand how that relates to my post.

Sorry, were my colorful adjectives too triggerish?

My point is, if you are looking for a diverse thread on Sup Forums, is it possible? Massively skewed threads moderated by hivemind clearly are.

>But you guys have to admit, there is a *bit* of hivemind, even if it's not structurally reinforced.

No we don't because you're full of shit and wouldn't never make shitty threads like this on a forum which agreed with every turd you dropped from your mouth.

Then no one gives a fuck about what you have to say.
Get over yourself or find a forum you can create a hugbox to talk about shit others don't care about.

Or just keep making posts because like usually either someone will reply or people still won't give a fuck about your posts.

>My point is, if you are looking for a diverse thread on Sup Forums, is it possible?

Yes, Like your faggot thread now.

>Massively skewed threads moderated by hivemind clearly are.

Then keep doing what you did now and make your own faggot, also don't go to threads you feel are not diverse enough for a faggot like you.

There's literally zero reason to be a Clinton supporter unless you're a completely uninformed moron.

>factually wrong
or just inconsistent with your facts, as most 'new' information would be?

And how can you tell, is it 'most of us like these facts and this presentation better', or is there some way to objectively judge the merit of arguments posted? Like a contest, or a completely representative forum.

There's this "Parliament" that I came across last week, it's was amusing in a cartoonish way, but I was curious if a serious version could work here.

>Topic: Is Sup Forums an echo chamber?
>Yes, just look at how people reply to dissent
>Who cares? Just leave
Really makes you think.

Hey, can you give us an example on when people called you a "shill"?

>>Who cares? Just leave

If you have to cry and whine about it might be your best choice since almost every other form of social media already caters to your way of thinking.

pol is our safe space from normie tier shit. everyday we fucking have to deal with blue pilled kike existence. so we come here and laugh at dumb shit or cry together. we are faggots, so what?

I disagree.

>bohoo when I act like a faggot Jewish sandnigger they tell me Im a faggot Jewish sandnigger forcing me to carry on shitposting in the next thread all over again until they take note because Im using the same JIDF shitposting template for the 6000000th time
>they are such hypocrites because on my MSM echochamber platforms I censor their opinions as everyone knows and good goys and Jews openly advocate! they are just as bad as I am!
>Sup Forums BTFO!

Thanks for the advice.

What do you call it when your country is cucked in reverse by the troika?

the only reason i come here is to see if anything is happening in the news.

all other outlets ar ebiased as fuck.

surprisingly, due to the anonymous nature of this board, theres very little bias. libfags cant see past it because they get hung up on the first thing they see that offends them, but the truth is, just about every faggot is represented here, and theres surprisingly little bias.

Reddit is fags.

At least here your threads stay up and aren't deleted or silenced or you aren't banned or shadowbanned.

Don't compare threads that only have on fag OP post either.

From my perspective, liking Trump as much as people seem to here is a bit unbelievable. Again, I can tolerate the guy more than I can Clinton (and I could see myself avoiding this place if that weren't the case), it just seems that every argument should have two sides, and if it only has one, it's not one worth having (except for keks)

>If people do stuff I don't like then fuck them
>Just because people aren't sucking my dick when I school their ignorant opinions I think this site needs more diversity

Please STFU or make a point that actually matters.
Don't like the user base go else where there's plenty of places you can go.
You're just pissed you can't convert people to your way of thinking.

Please tell me your opinion on whether Sup Forums fits the definition as stated of 'echo chamber'. I promise I won't even try hard to school you.

I do like the user base, and implying I should go elsewhere is an example of why there is even a question.

ayy it's another Orlando user