ITT: great directors with terrible "fanbases"

>ITT: great directors with terrible "fanbases"

Pic very much related, I genuinely love every single one of his films but I've never met a Tarkovsky fan who isn't a rabid piece of shit.

Kurosawa has the same problem

he was a self-absorbed, pretentious wanker who only ever made 3 good films of which two were his works as a film student.

P-present company excluded, right?

How odd, I could have sworn Zerkalo, Stalker and Offret were done after he left school.

Agreed. His fanbase got really annoying once Sup Forums found out that videogame is loosely based on a movie.

Griffith, probably the best director to ever exist, no one can match his sunplays, he did everything before anyone else, AND he hates niggers just like me. But the RETARDS in this BOARD, jesus christ they are so insufferable, worst fanbase by FAR

Every single fucking director, movie, tv show, video game has terrible fans.Majority of humans are awful.I don't even discuss music or cinema anymore.Just agree with them and nod your head.

I know OP's title says "great," but I had to include Nolan anyways. His fanbase of 13 year old boys truly believes he's the GOAT.

Kek, it was actually the other way around for me, I only started playing Stalker when I found out it was actually loosely based on the film (and the Strugatsky bros book, for the matter). It's actually pretty good atmosphere-wise, although the narrative is obviously butchered for the sake of muh commercial vidya action storyline.

David Lynch's fans make me ashamed to like his films. What year did Lynch become reddit? I don't remember his fans being so bad before Twin Peaks: The Revival came out.

Make Sup Forums a better place
Don't respond to Tarkovsky threads or Tarkovsky posters

I met Tarkovsky in Sweden, went there with my fiance in 1985 and he was shooting Sacrifice near our hotel. When we approached the crew Tarkovsky looked at me then at my fiance and said in a broken English "The fuck you doing with this stupid cyka? Get with this dick or get raped you whore.", I was completely shocked and didn't know if he was joking so I stood in silence just not sure of what to say. Then the camera guy behind him spoke "Oh Andrei you found another offret?", "Yeah, this one looks like a complete dick head, his girlfriend is pretty zharkiy though, I'd fuck her asshole", "Oh yeah, maybe we should fill his girlfriend ass with offrets so she'd know how much of a offret he is". Right at that moment Tarkovsky jumped on my fiance and pulled her pants down, I tried to stop him but the camera guy jumped on me and held me down and started whispering in my ear "She's going to get the offret and you aint going to do nothing about it!", I watched on in horror as my fiance stared at me in the eyes as Tarkovsky undressed her and rammed his fingers up her ass, she was trying to scream but Tarkovsky just kept pushing her head down. Tarkovsky looked at me and mouthed the word "Offret", It was like a silent movie, I watched as Tarkovsky then proceeded to pull out his testicles and forcibly push them into her anus with his hands. The camera guy who was still holding me down started to squeal into my ear "She's getting the offret", he started to twist my nipple as far as it could go, and I could feel blood trickling from it onto my shirt, I felt what I can assume was his boner pushing into my back... I blacked out.

I wonder, will Lynch go the way of the Kubrick and essentially transcend into pop culture so bad that he'll basically become ostracized by the "muh true experimental film" circle despite being a brilliant avant garde director nonetheless?

Except Kubrick wasnt ever a brilliant art house director. He made good films here and there but a lot of snuff as well.

Eh, maybe not if you consider the entire spectrum of everything he's ever made before Paths of Glory, but I think the mental image most people have of his filmography is comprehended between Dr. Strangelove and Shining. True, not every single one of his films is "art house", but I don't think anyone would argue against 2001 and Clockwork Orange being irrevocably erudite and experimental in some regard. It's not like we consider Bergman's earlier stuff as necessarily being representative of his work either.

It already happened. Lynch is now pleb tier. He's the first artsy director that teenagers discover after they get tired of capeshit.

>Zerkalo, Stalker and Offret
5-6/10

>he unironically thinks Ivan's Childhood is the best one

But you can't explain why they're not good, you just give them an arbitrary rating so you can feel like you know anything about film history, but you so obviously don't.
Now fuck off back to plebbit and kill yourself.

But dude, he just said three - not one, but THREE! - generally acclaimed Tarkovsky films actually deserve a mediocre 5/10 rating at best! Don't you see how cool and edgy that is? This user truly transcended the limits of the human intellect, Tarkovsky is mere pop culture in comparison to how deep his taste runs! He doesn't need to explain anything, the very boldness of his statement is by itself an argument!

Offret is honestly, objectively, subjectively , unironically and unmemetically the biggest piece of shit I've seen and I've seen capeshit like Batman vs. Superman, TFA and Prometheus.

His best movie is obviously Andrei Rublev (probably the best Russian movie ever)

Nah, he's not pop culture, he's just bad.

1. andrei rublev
2. the mirror
3. solaris
4. stalker
5. nostalgia
6. the sacrifice
7. ivans childhood

[ Linkin Park plays in the background ]

Never listened to them

wtf no Electrical Infetterence?

I agree. Pretty sure Tarkovsky would hate every single one of his "fans" today.

Even then when people asked him about "symbolism" and "hidden meanings" in his films he would just get completely dissapointed in humanity as a whole.