Is this the best quote in the history of comics?

Is this the best quote in the history of comics?

Other urls found in this thread:

assets.amuniversal.com/98def430f868013014ce001dd8b71c47
youtube.com/watch?v=2gNXfrMR_Lw
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>When you see me coming?
>Run.

That's not even Cap's best quote.

I could post pictures of every specimen of fish ever captured on film and it still wouldn't be enough to match this thread's bait.

It totally falls apart when you realize it can be applied to any ideology and not just the one you agree with.

So? I a Sup Forums as fuck and I am showing that to my cuck friends and telling them to send letters to their representatives saying not to work with Trump and that the entire point of the second amendment is to shoot ICE because even illegals have the basic human right to keep and bear arms

How much money does he spend on bleach.

I don't see how that makes it fall apart. My friends and I have hugely differing opinions on a lot of issues, but I still respect them for standing up for what they believe. It's far better to have a country made up of principled individuals, whose beliefs regularly clash, than to be all of one mind, with no one to point out the flaws.

I like this one better.

Seems much more emotional

seems gay desu

Because Nazis, John. While Cap standing behind the ideal you think for yourself and form your own opinions and ideas and not be bullied by authorities, propaganda, or mobs into compliance....some bad dudes might take that as justification for their beliefs too.
>My love for Bernie
Damn Berniebro, probably voted for Trump just to spite Hillary.

These digits.
Can't argue with these.

>history of marvel
Maybe. Superman have tons of better ones, and his quotes not even best in JL, not saying about DC.

>Because Nazis, John

None of us can claim to have perfect knowledge. Do you think the Nazis saw themselves as the villains? And if we can't claim to know with certainty that we are in the right, then it's better to make sure that we have open and vocal opponents.

The Nazis cracked down on freedom of speech within their own country because they were afraid of people like Cap. Go read about Die Weisse Rose, and imagine what Germany might have been like if everyone who thought like they did had stood up for what they believed.

no

>buy Born Again expecting an amazing Daredevil story
>Cap hijacks it in the last few issues and makes it even better

assets.amuniversal.com/98def430f868013014ce001dd8b71c47

That's sweet of Charlie but probably devastating to Patty.

>"A soldier that could command a god... and does."

Best line in reference to Cap?

Lmao, that's not how it went.

Also Chris Evans is being a bitch on twitter, everyone spam his account with "The Holocaust Never Happened".

Well, there are a lot of people being terribly wrong to the detriment of society.
Tell those fucks that and they dig in their heels and prevent any betterment of society.
There is not just disagreement, there are clashing ideologies and people spreading false information, red herrings etc.
If everybody were to tell the world to move, nothing would ever give, no coalitions could form, no consensus emerge.
This ideal of a lone righteous man actually does some real harm when it mixes with delusion and/or firearms.
If every moron thinks it can't be him that's gone mad, has to be the world, then we get rednecks holing up in buildings and shooting on sight, and the likes.
If there is one thing US politics needs less of it's standoffishness and obstructionism.

>If there is one thing US politics needs less of it's standoffishness and obstructionism.

The House, Senate, and Executive branch are all now controlled by the GOP. Are you glad that there won't be an easy way to obstruct them and their goals? Are you excited to see one party with no real obstacles have at least two years of real change?

Obstructionism is good. It forces compromise. It forces the two parties to listen to each other and find the things that they can agree on.

You mean like in the last 8 years of nothing getting done?

Yeah, that'll make Cap proud, holocaust denial.

It's objectively false. If the entire world agrees on something except for that one holdout, then the holdout actually IS "wrong", because moral norms are dictated by society

Obama has signed hundreds of pieces of legislation. Just because he didn't get everything that you wanted done, doesn't mean that nothing has happened.

This.

A standoff is good in theory, but in practice it just leads to nothing being done. I blame the increasing polarization of American society.

Oh, ok, then I guess the Nazis were just fine, until they lost the war.

Nah, the Nazis never had the plurality of the world in favor of their morals

Is there something inherently good about the government getting things done? Do you find that they have a favorable track record?

>Has no counterargument
>Muh Nazis
I will give you partial credit for invoking Godwin's Law in context though. 3/10

I can use any other tyrannical government, Nazis are just easy shorthand who've already shown up within this chain of posts. If morals are decided entirely by society, then there's very little purpose in our criticizing people for acting a certain way within societies that normalized it.

You're even free to argue that this is correct, but in that case, there's no reason to criticize Cap's quote here, because as long as this is a popular sentiment in America, and it is, then he's right.

Well, theoretically you can be the one guy who stands on a superior principle.
Like, you can be the one guy who insists that the Nuremberg trials had no legal leg to stand on because they predated any international agreement under which the accused could be tried. And all the rest of the world wants to see Nazis hang.

The real problem is that you can't know your principle to be superior because you are the furthest thing from objective regarding your own opinion. Now what you would need to be able to righteously plant down your feet and insist on being right is some kind of objective outside perspective. Since you can't have that, yeah, chances are you are being retarded right now and dragging your feet like an obstinate child and you really should go metric and centigrade.

If god didn't want us to be stand offish why did he invent guns and give us the right to keep and bear them?

The world moves at the speed of shitposting these days. A government that can only pass the bare minimum of bills to keep itself afloat is going to fall behind.

mistranslation.
Bears have a right to firearms, and every man has a right to no more than one bear that may act on his behalf.

>you really should go metric and centigrade.

We will do that, as soon as you put a man on the moon, faggot

>fall behind

What does this even mean? Is there a certain level of progress a government is supposed to make?

There's no innate good in a government taking more upon itself. If the government has kept up the promises it's made in the past it has done its job.

A bad government is inherently superior to a deadlocked one.
No matter who holds the reigns, going beyond absolute minimum consensus and doing your damn job means you can react to a problem.
Not reacting is about the worst you can do.

But Cap doesn't advocate violence in his speech, just standing your ground. Allowing people to hold actual beliefs isn't a detriment if it leads to an actual debate of ideas rather than blind compliance because it's what everyone else says you should do. You act as though digging your heels in can only be in relation to stopping things from changing rather than holding onto ideals that would lead to betterment of society but simply aren't popular with the "right" people.

I absolutely disagree. I would rather have citizens be forced to deal with the situation themselves, than have to deal with the situation and the extra burden the bad government has created. The very definition of a bad government implies that they make the situation worse, and I don't see how that could possibly be better than the neutrality of doing nothing.

But in that regard then who was wrong in the American REvolution? Was it England who planted themselves and said, "you move" to the Colonies? Or was it America that planted themselves and said, "You move" to England?

See If the world decides that murder is wrong but one guy "knows" that it's RIGHT, and he refuses to go along, he's not being a patriot, he's being a loon. This argument doesn't work because it can be used to justify any belief, even those that are mutually exclusive. And yes, if the whole world suddenly decides that murder is okay but one guy disagrees, then the holdout is STILL wrong.

based miller.

This guy gets it

But what if "murder" can be right?

The world doesn't dictate morals. Raping babies doesn't become right if the whole world does it

The murder is wrong, standing up for his opinion is not. You have to separate the two actions.

No. It's one of the worst.

But they had their own society.

If you can't act, you can't lead. If you don't lead or at least influence the global situation you are getting ignored, your interests falling by the wayside.
Especially the USA need to exert influence and project leadership or others will push you out of the halls of power.
Then you miss out on trade, lose influence on international projects and get generally walked over. Do you want to end up slinking back into the shadows to have China hog the spotlight?
And that's just internationally.
Not reacting to all the things happening in your country can make your country explode, or at least crumble.

That's just it. If it's an opinion, then by definition, it CANNOT be right.

This was one of the key themes in 1984. Ultimately, reality is only as objective as people's perceptions of it. If the whole world believes a lie, then that lie has, in effect, become the truth. It's the same thing here

It's not, but rape is totally okay

On a side note, I'm glad we can have a civil and intellectual discussion about this. Really says something when a major US election is less civilized than a bunch of neckbeards on a mongolian tic tac toe board.

The US has not aided its interests through its global intervention. We would have been better off if the deadlock had prevented us from sending troops to countries in the Middle East. You know how we got over there? Bipartisan support for the invasion of Iraq.

There is absolutely no evidence that we would crumble by not constantly intervening in world affairs. None.

Who cares if other countries gain power? Do we need absolute hegemony?
When did Democrats become the party of hawks? You wouldn't have been saying this stuff eight years ago, when Obama was running as a dove.

I think this is the best Cap quote.

>If it's an opinion, then by definition, it CANNOT be right.

I'm not saying the opinion is right, I'm saying that the action of standing up for it is right. We can hash out the opinion stuff later, but if the debate is going to happen, and it needs to if we want to reach the truth, then we need people to stand up for what it is they believe.

technically the quote is about belief, and yes that it can be said for any IDEOLOGY, so that makes it circular reasoning and self-fulfilling.

what should be said here is that ideology falls apart when a dialactic materialist starts to deconstruct it.

>those fucks that dig in their heels
are always right wing idealists. (liberals are right wing idealists too because they're capitalists)

>obstructionism is good
no it isn't unless it's rational. neither liberals or conservatives are rational, both are guilty of wanting to take rights away from others and start wars

he signed a lot of executive orders

>i blame the increasing polarization of american society
that could have been avoided with actual left wing politics and scientific worldview

>government getting things done
>do they have a favorable track record

roads, schools and resource management are real tangible things

as it turns out, the 3rd reich became powerful because of the u.s. corporation IBM

youtube.com/watch?v=2gNXfrMR_Lw

Nope, this is.

This isn't Sup Forums

facts, people. stop letting your feelings rule your lives.

That sounds like something a FILTHY FUCKING COMMIE would say. You're not a FILTHY FUCKING COMMIE, are you user?

>he signed a lot of executive orders

That's not legislation

>roads, schools and resource management are real tangible things
Compare private and public schools. Compare public and private resource management.

But even if you want to say that the government does these things well, how do they stack up against the pointless deaths caused by war in the Middle East? Or the negative economic effect of our massive debt? Or the destabilization of other countries, or interning our own citizens for their race alone, or the fruitless drug war, or any of the unending list of things that our government has done with good intentions in mind. Intentions aren't enough, and the federal government has consistently shown itself to be incompetent. I would rather they restrict themselves to the basics of keeping a society together, rather than see them continue to fuck up our country over and over again.

>not legislation
i know. i was saying he hasn't passed much legislation

>compare private and public
okay, and?
>compare public and private resource management
yeah, private resource management has lead to extinction, pollution and desertification

>how do these things stack up against deaths caused by war in the middle east
you mean the war started by capitalists over resources?
you mean the war that saw heroin sales skyrocket in russia and the prime minister of afghanistan's brother on the CIA payroll for selling heroin?

>federal government incompotent
yes, when it is controlled by corporate proxies, bad things happen. subverting the state is a business model

The hundreds of pieces of legislation I mentioned him as signing are real pieces of legislation, not executive orders.

You can make the argument that there is such a thing as pure government unaffected by corporations, but ultimately there's no example of it in existence. There's no way to make it happen, and that's because it's not a subversion of the government. It's natural that any corporation would want to ally itself with a monopoly, and governments are inherently monopolistic, with all of the flaws that entails.

Yeah, real helpful because we can all absolutely determine the veracity of anyone claiming to speak for the purest dialectic materialism.
And we can all agree that dialectic materialism is right in the first place.
The point was from the beginning that nobody outside fiction is defined as the hero and right, rendering that whole quote impractical because it invites absolute insistence on one's principles. For everyone. At all times.
Sure it sounds good, but if everyone does it it sucks for all.

i agree. capitalists created the state.

>there's no way to make it happen
and money is imaginary. there is nothing you can do to make it real.

Gold standard.

>most of the world was on the Nazi's side until they attacked France

sure thing, bud.

and when new gold is mined, the value is inflated.

try again.

In which case there's no reason to advocate for the state gaining more power. Obstructionism is just fine by me.

Neutrality is not the same thing as support.

I highly doubt the majority of the world governments were in favor of genocide against the Jews/Slavs up until the invasion of France.

except there is, because the state is controlled by the ruling class, which extort citizens and extract the surplus product from the workers, call it their own, and lie about why there need to be wars.

take the state away from the elite. obstructionism is basically luddite stupidity. you'd rather stay in the dark ages if only to keep your paranoia about the state valid. nevermind the fact that states to provide services that offer stability and vicariously create an environement conducive to scientific advancement, if only the capitalists weren't obstructing THAT, with manufactured scarcity and planned obsolescence

Really a quality quote

trump is shit. he only won because clinton was shittier.

get a grip.

>take the state away from the elite

So this is pretty much the linchpin where you and I disagree. Even if you take the state away from the current elite, something which I don't think is possible without revolution, the existence of a state and its monopoly means that anyone you put in charge of it automatically becomes a new elite, with their own whims and desires.

Obstructionism is the only currently viable method for preventing serious monopolistic excesses.

lpbp?

Seriously, how soon before Sup Forums turns on him? I give it 3 months into his presidency.

It's actually fitting. Not in the spirit of the character or the message or anything but Trump's whole campaign was shit on by the Press, Politicians, and Mobs of people. Only a handful of countries had a decent approval rating of him. And the fucker still won.
Plus the shit posting is too great. Like a month straight of all of Sup Forums ringing their hands for when he loses so they can go rub Sup Forums's nose in it. Then the unthinkable happens and Sup Forums just gets to gloat after YEARS of shitposting and ruining every board with this shit they get to do it harder than ever because
Sup Forums is always right

You are moving the goal posts.
Gold always has material value, thereby making money real.
Of course it follows supply and demand like everything.
If your gold reserve is stable, yes, additional gold impacts the value of money, provided demand does not expand proportionally. Which you can fix by buying up gold or regulating the market.
In any case, the money is tied to a specific amount of gold that actually exists. Making it real, a thing of actual value.
Not fixed value, mind you.

trump moved on every stance he claimed to stand for

Those were just suggestions, not stances.

Trump could swing back and forth like a weathervane and still be behind Clinton in terms of position changes.

Gold has little inherent value.

I don't wanna get into a debate here cause I am so sick of Sup Forumsshit not being on Sup Forums but we both know thats not true. Trump consistently contradicted himself, sometimes within the same speech.

Not the one that mattered: his determination to dismantle the current system. Whatever you feel about that, you can't deny that he was consistent on that.

And that's the thing.
Trump has no principles beyond his personal interests.
And unlike Clinton he's not even good at faking them.
He just tells people what he thinks they want to hear in order to get his deal.
He said so much contradictory shit, it's hard to imagine what will actually happen.

So if the world was taken over by Nazis, that makes them right?

Orwell was saying the opposite.

He didn't move on the stance of telling the establishment to go fuck itself

Because he just did that

No, he wasn't. That was the whole point of the torture scenes in MiniLove.

>being an intransigence cunt who doesn't take the opinions of others into account is a good thing

How?

It's not a good quote because it doesn't fit Cap at all, it's more suited for Frank or if that was Jack Monroe instead of Steve but more than that it doesn't even fit Americas ideals. America is supposed to change and evolve, that's why we can amend our constitution.

he hired TPP lobbyists to pick his new cabinet

Someone saying something doesn't make it true.

Did you even READ the book?