Sonic the Hedgehog #288 storytime

Liked last week's Sonic Mega Drive? In the mood for more classic Sonic comics? Flynn and Archie have you covered. Here's Genesis of a Hero part 1.

Other urls found in this thread:

www30.zippyshare.com/v/JFR2SeH7/file.html
en.sonicscanf.org/comics/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

This issue is comfy as all fuck. It's got a real Gallagher/early Penders feel to it, mixed with Flynn's game-mimicking style.

But King Nigel isn't meant to be as much of a jerk as King Max! I WONDER WHAT'S UP WITH THAT

>Gallagher
Not in the slightest. DeCesare maybe, but Gallagher very rarely wrote stories with this sort of tone.

I will say Tracey took a few cues from Manak, though.

I'll defer to you, then. I'm not much of an analyst.

Hope you all enjoyed this one. Support the official release, 'cause it sure as hell needs it.

And yes, we're getting Silver Sonic.

Not a fan of this fake "Classic Sonic is younger Modern Sonic" crap.

Seems like a huge obvious misstep I would've though Flynn and the new editors would've been smarter to avoid.

People seem to mostly like it for the second half, but I have to admit I like the first more. I like simple little adventures, and this book is getting much batter at it than it traditionally was.

That's Sega's official position. I don't think he could've done away with it even if he wanted to.
Yeah, if there's one thing Flynn does well it's game-style action.
I wish Hesse was on this one, though. Hell, I wish he was on every Sonic comic.

It's Classic Sonic because it's going through Sonic 1 and 2. Considering their usage of Classic Sonic is very strictly overseen by Sega, I don't think the editors are fucking up the company's image with this one.

Sega's official position is that Classic Sonic is the classic games and Modern Sonic is the other games. They don't actually have any stance on the design being anything but style, even in Generations characters don't seem to notice the difference much. But that said, they're obviously not going to scrap Modern Sonic for newer games outside of Classic side projects that can easily be put in the past, so there's not really a problem in making the same assumption literally any reader would.

Wait, so was King Nigel was impersonated by Naugus twice??

First time long in the past
Second time when the reboot started?? He can't have possibly impersonated him from now until then, that had to be years.

>tfw the early issues never get any credit
It's a shame, some of the book's best stories are buried in there.

>Second time when the reboot started??
Where the hell are you getting that from? Naugus just did a hostile takeover at the start of the reboot.

I don't remember another 25th anniversary comic being released, where'd this come from?

I think this is Eggman, actually.

It's just a flashback arc of the main comic.

Look at the shadow

>Using the "President's Chair" artwork from Sonic CD
Noice.

I didn't expect that after so long.

I don't know about anyone else but this seems redundant considering we've already had Sonic Genesis for the previous anniversary and Sonic Mega Drive this year. They said there were going to be twists in this arc but this first issue only had things we already knew happened. Based on solicits for the next issues, it seems like this arc is going to be mainly showcasing the endings to each game which is a weird way to go about an arc like this.

I'd rather have that over whatever the fuck the old continuity did when they transitioned to Modern Sonic.

Even Sonic has no idea what the fuck he's looking at.

Sonic the Hedgehog 288 (2017) (digital) (Oroboros-DCP)
www30.zippyshare.com/v/JFR2SeH7/file.html

why is he so based

Huh, so they actually went backwards in this story.

Why is he heating a frying pan with nothing in it?

I think that's meant to be Sonic returning to Green Hill Zone for the ending cutscene.

'Cause he's EVIL.

That's Sonic running back to his plane after beating the game.

Will the real Robotnik finally return?

he's getting ready to make crepes

I dunno, the stories do look comedic enough for him.

He got erased from existence and then that existence got erased from existence.

It's very unlikely he'll ever come back now that we're seeing Classic Games Eggman

Can we all agree King Acorn was WAY too nice to him in the preboot?

Huh, I completely forgot about that.

en.sonicscanf.org/comics/

Uhh guys, did they take down the site? Why aren't the comics loading? Am I missing something?

Read the main page.

They don't upload the comics anymore out of respect.

A. It's an excuse to tell what happened in-between games.
B. Genesis was fucking dogshit.

Better late than never, I guess.
Why couldn't this be the comic they were making 20 years ago? I remember picking up #0 of the original mini, opening it up and being confused as shit at all the stupid new characters and the weird cone headed Robotnik.
I was deep into the Sonic fandom for a long time despite not really liking the "SatAM" characters, even worked with Ian 'Potto' on a fan project or two back in the day, and all I wanted was a good official "SegaSonic" comic.

I know this direction isn't exactly new but it would have been nice to have around back when Sonic was still a tiny bit relevant.

Back when the comic started, Sonic's direction wasn't so solidified or even well known. Penders is forever a shit for proudly never interacting with the license he wrote, but a lot of the other writers just didn't have that much to go off of when they started, with a lot of what they DID have going through the filter of DiC's 90s animation influences.

>Implying that rescuing King Nigel is Sonic's reward for completing all the special stages.
Flynn you mad genius.

Nope. He tried that same trick after he lost his power with some stolen eggman tech.

I guess he did try it twice. How strange.