Is Batman Catholic

is Batman Catholic

He's above such petty things like religious ideology.

Yes

No he is a homosexual.

If he was he certainly wasn't after muh parents.

He was before the murder of his parents.

Batman could not possibly believe there's a benevolent God if it allowed his parents to be gunned down for no reason.

Does he shit in the woods?

I'm pretty sure he doesn't have a specific belief but still believes in God regardless, with all of the shit he's seen it would be foolish for him not to believe in some form on god or even afterlife

Always thought he was Hindu.

He's descended from a Puritan Witch Hunter. So probably not. Red Batman is the one all about Catholic guilt and demonic imagery.

For some reason I can picture his parents being Scientologists.

His mother's family was Jewish, so while I don't imagine he's practicing, he is considered Jewish by a few different yardsticks.

The Waynes has ALWAYS been Catholic/Episcopalian. Meanwhile the Kanes are Jewish.

So Batman, thanks to the influence of his family, from the father Eastern religious philosophies, practices, and mysticism thrown in for good measure thanks to his travels and training.

>hello plebbit

Bruce Wayne is a practicing Episcopalian.
Fuck off, euphoric fags.

>So Batman, thanks to the influence of his family, from the father side. So Batman is a mostly lapsed Catholic or a mostly lapsed Episcopalian, with some Eastern religious philosophies, practices, and mysticism thrown in for good measure thanks to his travels and training.

FIX'D.

Holyshit, are you two fucking stupid?

Katherine Kane's last name is Kane, meaning her Father is Martha Kane's brother.
In Judaism, you can only be a jew if your mother is.
Katherine Kane's mother is the Jew, The Kane's are Catholic in the comics.

>some reason
you associate thomas wayne with tom cruise

batman would realize god (who literally does exist in the dcu) would allow the waynes to die so batman could be born

He believes in protection so no

His mother is not a jew, dipshit.

>The Kane's are Catholic in the comics.

No they aren't. Since Infinite Crisis, in 2006, Grant Morrison and Greg Rucka, the modern writers to have done the most work on the Kane family tree in comics, have portrayed the Kanes as Jewish.

It helps that aliens are proven real in this universe.

>He believes in protection so no

It's canon that Batman doesn't use condoms.

Kane is an Irish surname, fuck off.

Go tell that to Morrison.

you've literally just pulled that out of your figurative ass.

except that morrison never depicted Martha or Jacob Kane as jews, so no, no i won't.

No, i haven't. Rucka in the Batwoman stories portrayed the character as Jewish. Morrison later when he tried to make Kate and Bruce cousins, tried to show the Kanes as a Jewish as well. Mostly as a dig against Bob Kane.

Also, in the Nu52 when they showed the Waynes grave they gave Martha a Jewish sign.

>Batwoman is Jewish
>therefore Batman is too
except no, again, Batwoman has to get her jewness from her mother, not her father

>Jewish sign on MARTHA's gravestone
I have no idea if this one is true or not, but nu52 is thankfully obsolete now.

>I have no idea if this one is true or not, but nu52 is thankfully obsolete now.

It showed again in the first issues of Tynion's Detective Comics run.So in Rebirth Martha Wayne is Jewish too.

Surnames are iffy. Wayne is English, and as someone else pointed out, he's descended on the Wayne side from a Puritan.

A Kane could have converted to Judaism way back when, or you know, just fucked a Jew. Oh, and only one origin of Kane is maybe Irish. It also has Norweigan, French, Old English and yeah, Jewish roots.

When did atheism get associated with hipsters?

He's too busy for religion. And he's seen enough magic and demons and crazy stuff to know that theres probably no one "true" one.

I've had some family members die in some horrible ways and it didn't shake my faith.

Isn't he like a Buddhist or something? I feel like what tibet monks preach while he was ninja training would have clicked with him.

I'm sure there's Irish people named Kane who aren't jewish, but it doesn't change that Kane is a form of Cohen.

Batman is not Jewish. Not even half. And I say this is a Jewish guy. Stop fucking around with characters' backgrounds!

I hope all you fucking christfags get cucked by your own beliefs abd kill yourselves. Using memes and patronizing your opposisition doesnt support your argument or makes opponents of christian beliefs false. So take your fake puritain diety and get the fuck off of my Sup Forums.

Athiests have always been hipsters.

I'm not christian faggot.

Then why do you shill for them you fucking conservafag?

Except that it's not a form of Cohen, dumbfuck.

I'm not a conservative either.
and It's not shilling retard, no where in Batman's lore is he ever presented as an atheist.
That's just atheists projecting onto him, like you're doing now presuming I'm a conservative because you're upset with me and conservatives are bad ergo I have to be one somehow.

This. Batman's viewpoint on God is the same as his viewpoint on metahumans.

"Yeah, they're there. Okay? Good for them. I'm Batman. I have work to do."

>"Kane is a Celtic Irish surname and is an anglicisation of Cathan meaning war like (see Ó Catháin). It is also a noble Norwegian surname."

Stop being stupid.

>Batman's viewpoint is what I want it to be

except that this isn't how it works.

No you fucking retarded fuck. I think your a conservafag for pushing christian beliefs on batman, when it's never shown on him as an adult

except it is, and you crying isn't going to change that.

Judaism runs in the mother's side of the family.

Last names run in the father's side.

Note that despite being practicing Jews, they're Kate's whole family are gingers.

No, her mother was blonde

That suit is awful.

Prove that Wayne goes to church unironically you fucking lier

Someone, I think Denny O'Neil touched on that in the late 80s/early 90s - in a flashback where one of Bruce's mentors in Tibet or wherever is all "You have the disciplined mind of a master, you could attain enlightenment, but I have nothing more to teach you unless you can let go of your anger." and Bruce is all 'Naw thanks, I gotta bounce."

It makes sense - Bruce would probably cotton to a lot of the lessons of Buddhism, but when it came to "ultimately, any attempt to improve the world is just spreading more suffering" and "enlightenment is the only endeavor worth pursuing", I think his pragmatism and his obsession would never allow him to accept that. Of course, it's also because a comic about a rich white guy attaining inner peace in the far east wouldn't be nearly as entertaining.

Show me one example of Bruce Wayne being religious that isn't some weak shit like "his parents' tombstones were drawn as crosses once"

>what I want it to be

He's literally been to heaven, user. And when he was there, he saw what would be his own eternal reward when he died. He was perfectly okay with it; if he were an atheist he wouldn't have accepted it.

And yes he does take supernatural phenomena in stride. That's part of that makes him Batman.

It's unclear. Pre-batman, he did a good deal of praying, but as the World's Greatest Detective, he seems to take things at face value, meaning he acknowledges only the beings he's seen to exist, and not necessarily everything people believe about them.

>magic is science meme

holy shit, anyone else really getting triggered by this? I mean, it literally makes no sense, as in, it's a nonsensical thing to say.

Shut up Lex.

*tip*

It's only nonsensical if you specifically define magic in opposition to science, and there's no reason to do that, as the term predates science by a long shot. Science is about being presented with proof, careful study, observation, and forming a worldview consistent with that observable reality. There would be no reason magic would be at odds with science if magic was real.

It's like the city was a program to create Batman

Are you fucking stupid? Science is a method of observing and understanding phenomena, it is not itself a phenoma.
Magic is.
So that's like saying a tsunami is "the ocean's science". It makes no fucking sense.

I just found it, it was in The Man Who Falls by Denny O'Neil from the Secret Origins of The World's Greatest Superheroes '89 one-shot.

It's shorthand for "any sufficiently advanced technology/scientific event is indistinguishable from magic"

That's fine, it's not exactly what I thought you meant, you were pretty vague. A lot of people use the term "science" interchangeably with facts learned through science though. Science courses teach the methods of conducting science, but also the knowledge learned by that field that further science is built on. So when Batman says "another realm's science" It's not hard to understnd that he means another realm's scientific laws.

I don't think there's anything explicit, but there's been a bunch of batman comics lately that have atheistic themes. Morrison especially.

No dipshit, it's not. In DC magic exists and it has nothing to do with technology.
Captain Marvel certainly doesn't get his powers from advanced technology, now does he.

I guess this is true, but it's still just such a stupid thing to say regardless.

>In DC magic exists and it has nothing to do with technology.
...okay, but, can you concede that maybe someone living in that universe, who DOESN'T have access to DC wikis or whatever, may not believe that? Or is this one of those things like "No it's stupid, everyone should be a Christian because Spectre, even though the ancient pantheons literally exist too."

That's pretty cool.

I also liked the ten eyed guys cutting the demons out of Bruce at the start of Morrison's run.

>I guess this is true, but it's still just such a stupid thing to say regardless.
I don't think so. It emphasizes that even if there are observable events that are can reasonably be defined as magical: souls, gods, realms apart from ours that serve as afterlives, magical manipulation of the real world, etc. that it can and should be assessed based on scientific means of observation and study.

The best stories with magic always give them a consistent rule set, like you would with science (empiricism). Yes, even LotR.

This really just shows how limited your personal definition of technology is.

Shazam gets his powers from actual gods, so you know, fuck off.

You do realize that science just means "anything you can have knowledge about" right? And manipulating nature using incantations, artifacts, etc. is still "science" in that it has rules and has to be done properly to work.

No, O'Neil, Miller, and Morrison all write batman as a Catholic character (Bruce isn't Catholic but he did studied in Catholic schools, Catholic value system and guilt, satanic Catholic mythos etc)).
As for the jew side, we don't know the surname of Elizabeth.

That doesn't make magic science, retard.
Just because magic has rules doesn't make it science, if that were the case than sports are somehow "science" too.
fuck outta here.

>Technology can be the knowledge of techniques, processes, and the like, or it can be embedded in machines, computers, devices, and factories, which can be operated by individuals without detailed knowledge of the workings of such things.

The wizard has the knowledge and techniques

There is a lot of science in sports. Everything from biology to statistics.

In the Dark Knight Returns there's a line which Bruce makes about how if he were a praying man he'd say a prayer. As he doesn't say a prayer my assumption is that Batman doesn't believe in a higher power.

Whether or not the Dark Knight Returns is in continuity is kind of irrelevant as it's had a massive influence on the portrayals of Batman since.

However I will agree with the user who commented on his family being Episcopalian/Catholic. But to the user speaking about Bruce Wayne family being English I'd like to point out that they're actually Scottish.

>if he were a praying man
He could believe in a higher power but not believe in bugging it with prayer for various reasons

Magic is A SCIENCE. Just because your definition is wrong doesn't make it untrue.

No, he's Episcopalian, but I think he's lapsed.

What? Morrison portrayed Batman as a Zen warrior.

Only in the sense that he uses zen techniques.

Morrison's Batman is about grappling with the death of God.

No, man. Morrison himself said that Batman was Catholic in his mind.

I don't even know what you're talking about.

Well, you aren't Batman now, are you?

>Episcopalian

Jeph Loeb and Geoff Johns had Batman as Episcopalian, mostly due to his wealth. It's common for a lot of wealthy families to be Episcopalian. This mostly by showing the Episcopalian cross in the Wayne's graves, including Bruce's.

Dennis O'Neil, Frank Miller, Chuck Dixon and Grant Morrison had Batman as Catholic. This mostly in how they wrote the character and the themes in their comics. You know, lots of shit dealing with guilt, faith, satanic imagery and so on.

That's why people say one or the other, because there's no concise answer.

Darkseid literally says "I am the hole in things. The emptiness shaped like God."

And that's what you took from the story? "God is dead"?

Yes? Batman being about existentialism is a fairly common interpretation. And this is from a guy who wrote the Mystery Play, a comic which was entirely about the Death of God.

they showed the Wayne's funeral in Tec in one of the earlier issues and they had a a menorah near the coffins

I guess they are going with Wayne being catholic and her mother being jewish and that's why they Kane didn't like the Waynes

That, and the whole Hurt parading around as Thomas, telling people he raped and killed Martha thing.

>Irish (Ulster): reduced Anglicized form of Gaelic Ó Catháin ‘descendant of Cathán’ (see O’Kane). Compare Keane. Scottish: reduced form of McKean. Jewish (Ashkenazic): altered spelling of Cohen. Jewish (eastern Ashkenazic): variant spelling of Kanne. Probably also an Americanized spelling of German Köhn (see Kohn).

Reading the full text helps.

At one point it wasn't uncommon for Jews to use Irish surnames to blend in with gentile society, around WWII.

They've already stated the menorah on the coffin was a mistake and would be corrected later. The Kane family isn't Jewish. Kate's mom was and her dad probably converted.

>They've already stated the menorah on the coffin was a mistake and would be corrected later.
Got a link to that?

He also wrote Pop Magick, which is about communicating with gods.