Picture is the essence of this topic.
Such a shame to see a once competent artist go full meme

Other urls found in this thread:

imsdb.com/scripts/Star-Wars-The-Force-Awakens.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

the old dependable snap center/zoom

all lars von trier films

What's "meme" about that shot?
Soldiers going down dissapearing in the dark, it's pure visual storytelling, not just an empty pretty frame.

>one frame of a shot = entire shot must be judged on it

fuck up idiot

look, Im sorry it upsets you but Deakins needs some criticism to get him back off this crap he is doing. Photography in a film like this is silly as its too distracting. We know its not even a natural shot since it had colour grading

Please explain what's wrong with that shot, especially in the context of it's narrative.

>Photography in a film like this is silly as its too distracting
Are you an actual retard? Photography IS cinematography, cinematographers are directors of photography (DP's).

Also hating on color grading is absolutely retarded. Color grading is a tool like any other filmmaking element that adds to the narrative if used correctly.
Do you think every film should look as real and natural as possible? If you took out the green out of The Matrix it would look like a TV show in broad daylight, not a film about false reality in a computer program.

>Are you an actual retard? Photography IS cinematography, cinematographers are directors of photography (DP's).
zero point made, are you stupid

Did Battlestar Galactica use that first?

>think this is some behind the scenes shot
>then credits appear
lol

is this an edit? it looks like they didn't colour grade it or anything

Deakins sucks I'm with that guy he's a fucking meme.

>holds the lightsaber in front of herself for 30 seconds

KEK

WAS SUPER RETARDED, SAW IT OPENING NIGHT IN IMAX 3D

WALKED RIGHT OUT THAT INSTANT

I actually like this.

kek

itt: idiots who flunked out of community college

>We know its not even a natural shot since it had colour grading
Every movie has color grading.
The fuck you're talking about, idiot.

This is a technically good shot but in the context of the film is meaningless.

It doesn't tell the audience anything, it doesn't really evoke any kind of emotion, it's straight out of the michael bay school of cinema.

Except Michael Bay can do better. I simple still shot would've been suffice. Hell, a zoom out shot would've looked cool and actually feel like a Star Wars film.

Why do they do this
This looks like a cameraman wasn't paying attention

13 Hours was kino. Bay is great with the right material

the greatest shot in cinema history?
all the critics seem to think so.

What's wrong with it?

What's wrong about the cinematography there?

Pretty much every film from "Dancer in the Dark" (2000) to the present look great though.

>The go pro footage from the Hobbit

It's the quintessential example of the student film school blunder 'we filmed it and spent a lot of time and money on it so we feel like we have to use it', which for a director of Jackson's resources and experience is absolutely pathetic.

>Michael Bay
>not great

stop trolling that looks incredible

Am I supposed to think "Woah, that's a real camera?"

fuck those movies and fuck that scene in particular

It's completely out of place, calls to much attention to itself so it's jarring and is quite ridiculous if you take the fact that they are just staring each other for a good 15 seconds with Rey holding out a lightsaber and no one moving or saying anything.
It's like they were afraid to end the film with an intimate moment (even just the Luke turnaround and stare would be enough) and had to make it seem grand.

but dancer in the dark looks intentionally bad, what are you walking about?

does anyone else really fucking hate this location? its so ugly

>41 replies and 8 images omitted

I wonder if we'll ever see Jackson do a 100% practical low budget genre film again. Those earlier movies of his are an amazing display of raw talent, I wonder how he would go about something like that nowadays.

Those criticisms have absolutely nothing to do with cinematography though. That's just the writer 's or director's fault (maybe even the editor).

hilarious
epic

The camerawork is just awful. The helicopter should never have been used for it.

triggered

How? The writer wrote the scene, but nothing in the script says "insert a helicopter zoom in 360 tracking shot".
It's entirely the fault of the DP and the director.

bitchy little faggots. make your own movie if you can do better and not sit at a computer complaining about people who actually make movies.

Yes. The same reason there's shaky cam or raindrops on the camera sometimes. It's not telling you "Hey this is a real camera" but it's suppose to tell your subconscious "hey look it's real, you're right in there" and it makes you more immersed

>"insert a helicopter zoom in 360 tracking shot"
Have you read the script? Because it might as well say exactly that. It's then up to the director to decide whether he uses it or not, but it could very well be written into the script.

The use of the helicopter for that kind of shot was hardly the cinematographer's call. That's the director's.

Writing doesn't work like that user.
Here's the script, see for yourself imsdb.com/scripts/Star-Wars-The-Force-Awakens.html

This is edited... Right?

Imagine how jarring it looked in the theater

more editing than cinematography but anyway

did people at some point just completely forget how to edit fight scenes?
>yeah cut away just before the blow lands that'll look really natural and it'll flow just great

I remember watching this in the fucking cinema

I'd been excited and over the course of the movie my enjoyment/hype had dropped immensely and I was just ready to leave the film at that point.

Then THAT fucking shot starts and I'm like "oh wow, dramatic revolving shot."

Then it keeps fucking going and I was just so confused as to why they would hold that shot for so long. I was waiting for it to end. Even afterwards my friends agreed that that final shot dragged on twice as long as it needed to be.

What a shit way to end a shit film. Really fits desu.

I hate where we are in film

The joke is on you. I don't go to film school, I went to films.

kek
based jackie chan does fight scenes right, nearly no cuts at all

you now realise Deakins lurks Sup Forums