I have no idea what is going on

I have no idea what is going on.

he fucked his mom and he totally saw

Did she fuck the kid?

Who's the mom in costume?

Pat Trayce a.k.a. Vigilante. She was Deathstroke's fuckdoll in the 90s.

Any connection to the other Vigilante that has that current mini?

Not that I'm aware of.

No connection

Slade is fucking that as well

I figured he got diddled.

>I have no idea what is going on.
Priest reads more comics than you. I read more comics than you. Everyone reads more comics than you.

No he just got mad because Vigilante, his adoptive mother, pretty much abandoned him in order to go around killing criminals and suck Slade's cock. He probably blames Slade for that.

Is that Doomsday/Death of Superman?

This is the 90's Deathstroke solo book by Marv Wolfman.

Damn I was way off. I thought it was the underground mutant society Superman story that led into Doomsday.

Weird, he went from black to hispanic. What's the ethnicity of his actual parents?

It's been a very long time since I read the series and he was a very minor character. I think he was a mutt.

Will Slade ever find true love?

>Implying Slade's bromance with Wintergreen isn't the purest thing ever

I want Luis dad to be Wild Dog so we can just have a whole vigilante clusterfuck.

My biggest complaint to the Deathstroke series is that it isn't accessible at all to be people to haven't read anything Deathstroke before. I understand entirely that continuity is important, but Priest pretty much expects you to have read Slade's entire back catalogue. I personally was never a DS fan and never really read Teen Titans, so there's so much stuff in here that I straight up don't get.

It was fine until this issue, which went to maximum overdrive.

Casuals are enjoying it too, though. Turns out if you just make a book fun to read most people don't give a shit about the continuity.

Not that guy, but I kinda not get that.
Where's the fun part?
It keeps jumping in and there, and with that not so different border panel where one is flashback and the other is not, it really confuse the fuck out of me.

It matters when you start to lose the reader on what is going on. I've heard plenty of complaints on the most current issue. It's still good, but Priest never explains shit, which does get frustrating as someone new to the DS story.

I am not familiar with any other Deathstroke series but so far I am really enjoying it.
To me it seems that things that reference previous works are usually easy to understand in context and/or given an actual explanation.

Well, can you actually happens what is actually going on in this issue then?
I'm the OP, a bit of insight will certainly helps.

>can you actually happens
*tell me what happening in this issue
My mind and hand think and type differently for some reason.

Sounds like you're just too stupid to understand what's going on. There's always Marvel if you need something for the intellectually disadvantaged.

Just tell me what's going on in this issue.

>haven't read anything Deathstroke before
I haven't, and I'm enjoying it

I'm not really missing out on stuff that is explainable via context or will be explained more clearly later

>Priest pretty much expects you to have read Slade's entire back catalogue.
That's not even remotely true. You can figure everything out based on context. You don't need to know who the woman is to see that Deathstroke was fucking her and Luis/Richard holds a grudge against him. Having read the earlier stories adds context and depth to what you're reading now, but it's by no means necessary to understand the story we've got right now.

I've never picked up a Deathstroke book before and it's my favourite Rebirth book.

Not the same user, but in the beginning, we see Deathstroke rescuing Mathew from the protesters. Wintergreen say's he's retiring. We see flashbacks why Richard has a grudge against Slade. He was fucking his mom and it led to something awful, for which he blames Slade. Priest pretty much recaps the previous issues in this issue. We still don't know Wintergreen's kidnapper and Deathstroke had laid out a hit on Rose. rose meets Ettiene, Jericho's fiance. Isherwood is called by Jericho and we learn that they were fucking too. Isherwood is confused by his engagement since Jericho isn't into women and knows that he's got to have some ulterior motive for trying to marry this woman. He threatens to tell her about Jericho being gay, but Jericho mind controls Isherwood and we see him falling towards the ground as the issue ends.

Okay, I am not very good at retelling things but here is a short version.
And I may not remember the previous isuue well enough.
> Africa
The consequences of that complicated saving Wintergren thing.
Deathstroke's lost costume gets redecorated and is now used by red lion guy, Slade retrieves both the costume and the guy.
The red lion guy is actually the guy from the first issue that has tried to have Slade double-double crossed.
They crash the plane with plenty of survivors.
Richard is there, and Slades talks about him trying to murder Rose, so we know that this is all happening after the Gotham thing.
> Los Angeles
Different place, probably same time? The Gotham thing has already happen and Rose is talking to her brother and his interpreter girl/potential future wife.
We get to see a short flashback about Slade not quite killing him.
Then Isherwood shows up.
>to be continued.

Slade breaks back into the fictional African nation introduced earlier this run to save his dictator buddy. The dictator guy likes to dress up in a kitty suit, like another character Priest is strongly associated with.
Rose has a heart to heart with Joseph and his fiance/translator. Joey is an executive for some vaguely defined tech company now.
Rose doesn't know what happened to Slade after she left Gotham.
It's confirmed that Richard took a contract to kill Rose, and that Slade placed the contract to begin with.
It's revealed that Richard is really named Luis and that he is the son of Deathstroke's old lady friend. They have history.
It's revealed that Joseph is gay and maybe closeted, even though he's going to marry a woman who likes to dress in suits and ties and is fine as fuck.
It's revealed that Joseph has had a long-term relationship with Deathstroke's old tech guy who we met earlier this arc. The age difference is icky.
This tech guy wants to take their relationship public so Joseph tries to kill him.

Reading comprehension. Learn it.

This user did a great job so I don't really need to continue with

Wait, Jericho killed Ikkon? I thought Ikkon commited suicide. I hope someone takes up the costume, that design is fine.

Icon was mind controlled by Jericho
Jericho has a lot of powers

All the reading comprehension in the world doesn't make that become anything other than a borderline unfollowable clusterfuck.

goddamit just pay fucking attention

And yet you are the only one who couldn't follow the story. I'd say the problem is your limted intellect and not the writing

I did, I read thisAnd still don't get that what is Deathstroke objective is. Saving Rose or something?

Like what the fuck is happening.

Those three explanations are all different at every turn, feature liberal use of the word "probably", and a lot of guessing about the time period. Even these brilliant minds that decided the cipher that is the comic book about a character called Deathstroke the Terminator can't seem to agree on what's going on.

Alright the. 90% of the comics from DC, Marvel and Image are easy to follow, feature caption boxes in which the main character narrates and have straightforward dialogue and linear plot. Let us have this, you have plenty from where to choose.

its laying out the psichology of the character. slade is definitely a villain, and not just that, but a difficult as fuck person. laconic, incapable of demonstrating affection in usual ways. SO he puts a target in his daughter, whose he, deep inside, feel he prejudicated, just to see and talk to her, spend some dad-daughter time thing

who the fuck is richard?
>inb4 the kid
yeah, I mean as an adult. what did he do?

He's an assassin who fell in love with his target

jesus christ the time period is EASILY distinguible with things like hair, fácil expression, reference to events

like YOU KNOW in this issue that it starts with the plane in fire and later you see the plane perfectly fine and a dialogue saying "we have to be careful to not being hit", so you just assume that is BEFORE the first pages

I'm all for a lack of hand holding in comics, but if the story behind it isn't there then all the attempts at being smart are in vain.

Why do I have to assume? Why can't the writer let me know through text?

Alright then. You have plenty of other titles to choose from.

Because your reading a comic, a visual medium, not a book.
If you wanna read an actual picture book then go for it but that's not what comics are

So it's about the fake hit Deathstroke hired himself for that turned into a real hit taken up by Rose's boyfriend who happens to be both a secret assassin and have ties to Deathstroke too? Leaving aside the convoluted nature of that plot thread and how it's symptomatic of the problems of the book as a whole, that's not what most people say the book is about so far.

That's what this issue was about in part, not the whole run/arc so far

Even the explanations in this thread aren't 100% sure about the time periods in the latest issue.

Wrong. Comics have always had a lot of descriptive text.

what target? when have we seen him before trying to assassinate who?

The arc isn't about anything so far, that's the point.

Rose. In her first appearance she almost gets killed because she was set up. Luis got close to her and is the reason she almost died.

Mainstream Capes have. Just because something doesn't

Rose. He hasn't made an attempt yet but that's what he was discussing

The arc has been about reintroducing Deathstroke supporting cast and how he treats his family and friends. The main plot thread which introduces these themes is who kidnapped Slade best friend.

Last issue was about how Slade tries to connect to his family and how he treats Joseph. Batman 2-parter was about establishing Roses place in the universe and how Slade was an awful father who couldn't protect his childrrn

wait, wasn't that guy black? you mean the guy ds accused rose of blueballing while he actually wanted to kill her? the kid looks hispanic at most

So the point of the book is Deathstroke's a dick? That's not exactly compelling stuff.

>these retards pretending like this is some deep writing
it's a comic about an old faggot unoronically calling himself deathstroke a shallow character that's an assassin and will do anything if you contract him too. Oh and he has a japanese daughter and a son that's literally gay for dicks for diversity points. His straight white son dies before the story even starts of course. No amount of trying to appear complicated by inserting ridiculous master planner characters and non linear use of time by jumping from present day to the past and back to the present will change that.

bitch this IS a mainstream cape comic.

Damn thats some strong bait. SHOULD'VE thrown in some Priest is racist comments as well

Yes, every comic should follow the modern cape comic format of six issue trade writing with a straight forward big stake mini event.

the arc is about slade the PROFESSIONAL, and the various implications and premisses that go with it

heck, we are seeing his affairs, his friends (and how he himself approach friendship), his children and his contracts

and we are seeing this through different stages of his life, and consequentialy the people around him. all of that without having one single first person narration box from him

its a portrait of a person being defined by his action and their consequences

are we really to believe that ds put a kill on rose so he can spend time with her?

Wasn't it just a bait to bring out his enemies?

The point is the psychology of Slade explored from an outside view mixed with the mystery of who's trying to fuck with him and family/friends while introducing his supporting cast for the future

It is, and it's trying something different narrative-wise in a wave of relatimely safe Rebirth books. If you want something normal then read another book about an assassin published by the big 2. 1 book in 37 (?) SHOULD be allowed to be unique without receiving critique for the format as opposed to its actual content

can be both, thats the beauty of it

That art is fucked.

>the truth is bait
whatever bitch

Well Wintergreen is Slade's constant and most enduring relationship so yeah there's something special between the two.

Uniqueness and narrative fuckwithery don't automatically make a comic good. If after six issues there's still no point or context to what we are reading and the book is sacrificing entertainment value for complexity brownie points then it might not be that great of a book.

Tradewait it then if you can't deal with slow build up

For you.

Even if the payoff somehow makes all of the jumping around and lack of context worth it you can't enjoy a ride if there's no lights on and it starts and stops at random intervals.

Maybe it's not just for you. You can't deny that Deathstroke's character work and family dynamics are far better than anything the rest of Rebirth is doing(which is just returning back to the famous status quo without buildup and fan service moments) It's an underrated aspect of the book.

youre just being dumb at this point

is this a mgs4 reference?

Maybe DC's bland libe is making lowering your expectations but there's no reason to settle. Make yours Marvel.

Priest is just an old school writer. Back when writers didn't give a fuck about trades and wrote short subarcs in a longer arc. The first three arcs can be summed up as a sub arc of Slade against the African despot and clock king. It was a smart arc imo.

What character work? Deathstroke is an asshole? A bad parent?

*The first three issues, not arcs.

It's not like I'm even reading the rest of Rebirth anymore and don't have other publishers' comics, both old and new to compare to.

>It was a smart arc imo.
You don't seem like a smart guy so it's irrelevant what you think is smart.

When did Solid Snake slept with Raiden's mom?

Says the guy who has trouble reading a fucking comic.

You're reading just one comic. Explains why you think it's good.

If you personally want to simplify a characters personality so much then yes.
Like how Superman's just a boyscout or Batman is just a brooding ass hole with mommy problems or how Green Arrow is just a liberal bad dad.

Hurr durr, why is this comic so hard to read? where are the narrative boxes.

Christ, he's adorable.

>where are the narrative boxes.
Well considering how Sup Forums is living Lobdell now then maybe not having your main character narrate is a mistake.

Nice rebuttal. As good as your reading comprehension.

>Sup Forums unironically likes Lobdell and Humphries now.
We live in strange times.

>Lois playing dress up for Slade while Jon watches
No wonder the murdering little guy has temper problems.

Don't be so mad chump.

I mean, most of Sup Forums seems to like Mosaic and HydraCap.l too.

Yes, this is what I was saying. This would be a much better book if Lobdell wrote it also!

HydraCap is well written keikaku that you get to see from 2 PoV. Most people were just turned off by the concept because of muh or they dislike Spencers politics that occasionally influence his comics