Catholic/Orthodox differences

Ten differences between Orthodox and Catholicism.

1. Orthodox reject inheritability of sin. Death and suffering are human nature, we only don't suffer them when partaking in perfect synergism with God's energies, which we haven't since the fall.

2. The Orthodox reject the "satisfaction theory of atonement". The Orthodox subscribe to "Christus Victor" (the idea of atonement illustrated in The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe).

3. Hell in Orthodoxy is not separation from God. Hell, like heaven, is experiencing the full radiance of God's light and presence, but with a negative relationship so that it is like fire.

4. The Orthodox reject the idea that our understanding of dogma develops. The idea is to keep the exact same understanding the Apostles have, invented terminology is not meant to develop the understanding, but to PROTECT it from being "developed".

5. Catholics define usury as excessive interest, Orthodox define usury as any interest.

6. The Orthodox reject the Catholic idea of supererogation.

7. The Orthodox reject Purgatory. The Orthodox do, however, distinguish Sheol (called "Hades" in Greek) from Gehenna.

8. Orthodoxy places enormous emphasis on fasting, in fact more than half the days of the year involve some sort of fast. And there are even some days which are total fasts, no intake, period. Two consistent fast days (almost every Wednesday and Friday, no meat, dairy, eggs, fish, oils or wine) trace back at least to the Didache.

9. Orthodox draw most of their priests from the married laity, but most of their bishops from monks.

10. Infants can and do receive Holy Communion.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=5bWHSpmXEJs
youtube.com/watch?v=ivbvVt6M9os
gettingstronger.org/2010/05/calorie-restriction-and-hormesis/
reformed.org/calvinism/
catholicbridge.com/orthodox/has_the_orthodox_changed_any_teaching_or_doctrine.php
pastebin.com/9XxNnSU6
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/When_Prophecy_Fails
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Book_of_Mormon_witnesses
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disconfirmed_expectancy
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Escalation_of_commitment
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Fuck fasting is the stupid fucking shit. I will not be denied my fucking snag and beer, cunt.

The schism thing sucks, we miss you guys. The beards are a nice touch.

I was born a Catholic, I will die a Catholic.
Best of luck to the Greek Church though.

Fasting is good for you, it makes your heart much more tender to contrition. Without any fasting, it is much more difficult to feel deep contrition.

i'll just leave this here

Not Anglican masterrace

Get rekt plebs, try paying your debts for once

Heretic detected

You also forgot a very important difference.
>Orthodox church is not cucked by the pope.

>Anglican
youtube.com/watch?v=5bWHSpmXEJs

Not politically related at all

Go to your board newnigger

That's because I was trying to list differences many people are unaware of. Most people are aware of the Pope thing

>[fasting] makes your heart much more tender to contrition
>it is much more difficult to feel deep contrition
>Muh Feels

I'm starting to suspect that religious conversion to any religion is one big game of psychology. I took up the challenge of praying to God and praying the rosary by Christians yet I have been giving the same response when an atheist actually does. It seems they expected me to refuse, as most atheists probably would have. [Fedora Tipping Intensifies] They all said that even if I completed these works, it won't change anything of my understanding of God. Apparently your mind has to already be in a state to accept God, i.e., be psychologically primed for conversion. Does anyone see the Catch-22 here? Prayer won't work for you as an atheist yet you will never know God unless you go down your knees and pray and, in the case of Christianity, accept Jesus Christ as your Lord and Savior into your heart. What is an atheist to do to know God?

I was born Orthodox and my retarded mother decided to move to North America when I was a child. Are there any Churches in Canada you would recommend for getting involved?

Similarities: They're both a crock of shit

the hats

Orthodox Christianity is, ultimately, concerned with being more like God. God doesn't feel passions, since he's not a human (except through the Word's incarnation). Contrition is balm though, in relation to our other passions.

Anyway, what is an atheist to do? Read The Way of a Pilgrim. The Jesus Prayer,, if you say it enough, will help you to know God, regardless of whether or not you have faith yet.

Antiochian has the most converts and do their liturgy entirely in English. You might try them. Any church will do though, but some people are put off by the "ethnic" feel of a mostly Greek or Russian parish.

Welcome to the faith!

>What is an atheist to do to know God?
speaking as a former atheist, i will venture that you already do know God but are just in denial about it

have you ever made a moral decision (i.e. done the "right" thing) when nobody else was watching and there was no chance of getting caught? it's a rhetorical question. of course you have. anyway, that voice in your head that told you to do it was God. you probably think of Him as your own "conscience" or something

And the passions he felt through Christ were the "blameless" passions (sorrow, joy, etc.), not the other sorts (greed, envy.)

>1.

Even if you were isolated your whole life, hormones would take over once you hit puberty and you'd be filled with lust i.e. sin.

>2.

We are saved by God's grace alone via the sacrifice of Jesus Christ.

>3.

Yes, God is everywhere even when you are making your bed in hell. Experiencing God's wrath will not be pleasant.

>4.

Mindless chanting is not right. We only learn through the Word and faith, prayer, and of course, grace.

>5.

A bit of interest is fair. See the parable of the talents.

>6.

We should be constantly working for God once we belong to Him through Jesus Christ.

>7.

There will be hell as ruled by satan until final judgment when satan, along with all others, are cast into the lake of fire.

>8.

Fasting is a good thing.

>9.

This makes perfect sense in an organized church; married priests can reach out to the common man that is also married whereas monks further up the chain guiding the church wouldn't have the marriage distraction.

>10.

Nope. Baptism and communion are via faith and grace alone including choice once old enough to decide for themselves. There were no infants receiving communion or being baptized in the Bible. This is heresy.

I choose not to identify with denominations, but much prefer Orthodoxy to the cathocucks. I knew about most of these, but what's the distinction between Sheol and Gehenna?

Also, fasting always seemed like a meme to me, anyone care to explain why you guys do it? It just seems pointless to me.

>A bit of interest is fair. See the parable of the talents.
the parable of talents does not justify usury - the lesson of that parable is that you have to do the most you can with what God gives you. how could you interpret this parable to justify usury and charging of interest?

>Even if you were isolated your whole life, hormones would take over once you hit puberty and you'd be filled with lust i.e. sin.
Nope, lust is mental dwelling. Not having the biological impulse

>We are saved by God's grace alone via the sacrifice of Jesus Christ.
Not sure how that's relevant to what you're replying to, which is the concept of how Christ's sacrifice saves us.

>Yes, God is everywhere even when you are making your bed in hell. Experiencing God's wrath will not be pleasant.
God's energies are only wrath from our perspective, based on our experience. God himself has no emotions. His energies are wrath, love, and so on, depending on our relationship with them. Sort of like how the sea is "angry" to us. These describe how we experience God, not how God experiences God.

>Mindless chanting is not right. We only learn through the Word and faith, prayer, and of course, grace.
Chanting is prayer.

>A bit of interest is fair
It's forbidden in the Old Testament, and Christ goes further: he says you shouldn't even ask for the principle back. So taking interest now is even worse.

>See the parable of the talents.
It's a parable. By your logic, Luke 19:27 is Christ saying it is okay to kill people for not being Christians.

>We should be constantly working for God once we belong to Him through Jesus Christ.
Not sure how that is relevant to what I said.

> There were no infants receiving communion or being baptized in the Bible. This is heresy.
You do realize that the "new" covenant is just a continuation, a realization of the old covenant? If God did not want infants in his covenant, why did he expressly demand they be in it?

"Faith" is "trust" (as opposed to the more secular conception of it being "belief"). Infants trust God, just not in a complex and rational way.

youtube.com/watch?v=ivbvVt6M9os

Vatican I vs Vatican II.

Sacred Trips wasted on a pointless question. fasting is just like a prayer rope or rosary beads - it's a spiritual tool that only works if you use it correctly

Orthodoxy is not a denomination. A "denomination" means a piece of the Church Christ founded, a "sect" of it. The Orthodox Church is the entirety of the Church Christ founded.

The thing is, God intended the spiritual and physical to be harmonious, but the fall set them at odds. We have to restore them. But to do that, we have to tune out the physical a bit so we can "hear" the spiritual. We've become so caught up in the physical, the carnal without the spiritual, we have to "turn down the music", so to speak, in order grasp the spiritual once again. Fasting is "turning down the music" of the flesh for a while.

There are psychological benefits to self-denial. Knowing you're doing it for God strengthens your faith. There are also health benefits to fasting that some people swear by.

Taleb talks about fasting in terms of "hormesis" and the benefits of calorie restriction.

More on that here:
gettingstronger.org/2010/05/calorie-restriction-and-hormesis/

Fasting feels rewarding. It's good to put yourself through trials like that regularly. Occasional fasting is the best middle ground between complete asceticism and haphazard gluttony.

there are coptic orthodox churches but idk where exactly,i know that since my father's friends go to it,there are coptic orthodox churches in the us too and ofc alot of other orthodox churches

There are also Ethiopian Orthodox in Canada.

one of my good friends and colleagues is an Egyptian Coptic Christian. he's based af

but i recommend you search for a canadian one since as i think there will be prayers in coptic language in the copts churches and in ehtipoian in the ethiopian ones so its better search for a canadian one desu

where are you from?

I'm a convert.

egyptian copts are the best,specially those who think not just a christian by name.

from what?

this desu. I want us to be one

Anglican

You'd all have to be individually received into the Orthodox Church for that to happen, unfortunately, since we don't recognize your sacraments

Why is there so much infighting and bickering amidst us? I've had my holy sacrament from the Roman Catholic Church but I still love and respect our Eastern Orthodox, Anglican, Coptic, Calvinist, Protestant brothers.

The fight between us has ended. However, the defense against the invaders that batter at our door is in full effect. God is with us gentlemen, God is with Christendom.

DEUS VULT

Orthodox Christianity is based

How do people of different faiths have any meaningful discussion on religious truths?

It seems like unless you already accept Jesus and the Bible there isnt much room for discussion

Shills and cheap thrills
You speak truth though

There's bickering because you split from us over bickering. C'mon, bro, it's pretty obvious.

There really isn't a lot of bickering though, except in the internet. It's not like irl Orthodox and Catholics are picking fights with each other

It's like a dialogue with a secular philosophy, but there's obviously not any chance the two faiths will be "reconciled" if that's what you mean, no

Why arent you an Orthodox Christian user?

>It's like a dialogue with a secular philosophy, but there's obviously not any chance the two faiths will be "reconciled" if that's what you mean, no

I wasnt talking about reconciliation but simple determining what is true and what is not.

what is the image of christianity in canada? i'm curious about that desu

Is it true that Copts are hostile to non egyptian converts?

I'm Lebanese.

My mom is Maronite Catholic, and my dad is Orthodox, but I don't know which church I like better.

What methodology would you propose?

I doubt it. I'm Eastern Orthodox, not Oriental Orthodox, though.

i don't think so, we actually become very happy when someone converts,at least that's here in Egypt don't know about copts in other countries

Well now you have some differences to consider.

>What methodology would you propose?
That's what Im asking you because I don't think there can really by much of one unless you do something like abandon fidism but even that seems like it would require rejecting religion.

I was asking because we had a knowledgeable copt on /his/ discussing this and how whilst they want people to find Christ they dont want to have their culture diluted by foreigners.

"Faith" in Orthodoxy means "trust". Finding belief in God is more of spiritual, mystical thing. Trusting in God is the more difficult struggle.

Yeah but what do you base that trust on? Mysticism still uses reason like Scholasticism does even if it is in a more constrained way

this is probably because we copts or egyptians in general see the west is morally degenerate and don't want western culture ruin/corrupts ours,maybe he was thinking like this,but someone who will find Christ will never be morally degenerate.

He seemed to be more worried about it meaning litergy in a foreign langauge and less emphasis on cultural traditions and events

we copts value liturgy a lot and value it being in coptic language so the more foreigners come in the need for it to be in english only will rise which might not be liked by the copts.the,coptic language sounds deep a lot more than arabic or english if you know what is being sayed

Being hungry makes me want to kill something and eat it.

Another interesting question (and one which had precdent in history) say you, a muslim, a Hindu, a jew, a deist, taoist, pagan and an atheist were to come across a person/group of people with zero knowledge of religious knowledge. How would that person figure out which is true?

Mysticism is about finding God through meditation, prayer and fasting, as well as religious aesthetics

The Holy Spirit guides them to Christ. We can offer various arguments, sure, but at the end of the day, it's the Holy Spirit which does it.

>Mysticism is about finding God through meditation, prayer and fasting, as well as religious aesthetics
Also through the Mysteries (translated to Latin as "Sacraments")

>Mysticism is about finding God through meditation, prayer and fasting, as well as religious aesthetics

Thats how it manifests but in practice it means placing emphasis on empirical experience rather than rational/abstract experience

>The Holy Spirit guides them to Christ. We can offer various arguments, sure, but at the end of the day, it's the Holy Spirit which does it.

I was asking what a person in that position -who has no idea or clue of what the HS is - should do to figure which figure is correct. Your answer is more an explanation to other Christians on how they could come into the faith

No, it's the same thing. The person can have an explanation of each faith. If they come to Christ, it is through the Holy Spirit.

>No, it's the same thing.
How so?

additionally were they to come to another faith what mechanism would that be?

There is no specific mechanism, there could be any number of factors.

Can you make it clear how those two questions were the same? Would it clarify the issue if I said I was asking that question from ignorant parties position and not the missionaries one.

>There is no specific mechanism, there could be any number of factors.

Well people come to other faiths and preform and witness miracles so you are correct in other factors being there, what would you call such factors?

If you are interested, know that if you come to the faith of Christ, it is through the Holy Spirit, not by my convincing.

>what would you call such factors?
Pathological, moral, cultural, rational, any number of factors. Christianity says, though, that you *cannot* become a Christian unless it is through the Holy Spirit. That is, even if these factors make you interested in Christianity, you will never actually join unless it is through the Spirit, because God ensures that.

So seeing as there are offshoots of said church with different beliefs, it is indeed a denomination.

>If you are interested, know that if you come to the faith of Christ, it is through the Holy Spirit, not by my convincing.

Please I dont want to be rude but that doesnt answer the question I posed or if it does it needs some further clarficiation.

>Pathological, moral, cultural, rational, any number of factors. Christianity says, though, that you *cannot* become a Christian unless it is through the Holy Spirit. That is, even if these factors make you interested in Christianity, you will never actually join unless it is through the Spirit, because God ensures that.

Does that mean God prevents some people from joining?

Also can you clarify your position on the miracles and miracle workers of other faiths

Thank you Farter

>you will never actually join unless it is through the Spirit, because God ensures that.
Do Eastern Orthodox Christians have a Calvinist/Reformed understanding of Grace? That God has predestined Humans on earth to save from Hell since before earth even existed?

Limited Atonement (Particular Redemption)
reformed.org/calvinism/

>The Orthodox Church is the entierty of the Church Christ founded.

The Church are all Christians.
Orthodoxy is the Roman State Church version of the Church that Paul founded. And it also had significant liturgical and dogmatic changes right till 1204. After that it basically stayed the same.

Arent Orthodox unchanging in Dogma though?

I might be wrong but as I understand it it's sort of both: it is NOT the case that there is a set list of The Elect and if you aren't on the list you're screwed. But you don't really have a soul. A soul is like musical skill or a well-entrenched habit, cultivayed over time. You build your soul up by living right (not the same thing as works, although good works are an inevitable byproduct if you are living right). So there's that awful severity but without the stupid new aristocracy.

Offshoots from the Church Christ founded doesn't make the Church Christ founded a denomination. Because those offshoots are not a part of it. The Orthodox Church is the *total* Church

>Please I dont want to be rude but that doesnt answer the question I posed or if it does it needs some further clarficiation.
I mean that I can present all sorts of evidence and reason, but ultimately, your conversion is based on synergism with the Holy Spirit. It wouldn't come through some sort of checklist and saying, "Yep, the Orthodox Church checks out." No one will ever convert that way.

>Does that mean God prevents some people from joining?
God doesn't prevent anyone from joining, it's just they can only join his way.

>Also can you clarify your position on the miracles and miracle workers of other faiths
Not really, since the most I could offer is speculation, outside of a case-by-case analysis of miracles, and even then there's a good chance I wouldn't have enough information to provide an answer beyond conjecture

No, our understanding is called "synergism"

Yeah

>I mean that I can present all sorts of evidence and reason.

What would that reason and evidence, I really want to see how you deal with the question of other religions.

>"Yep, the Orthodox Church checks out." No one will ever convert that way.

Is that a statement of faith from the Church fathers or a deduction?

>God doesn't prevent anyone from joining, it's just they can only join his way.

So what happens to people who try and seek Christ in Orthodoxy but fail to be convinced or who find it in other faiths and demoninations?

>Not really, since the most I could offer is speculation, outside of a case-by-case analysis of miracles, and even then there's a good chance I wouldn't have enough information to provide an answer beyond conjecture

But you can ie "no other faiths have miracles" "other miracles are illusory/satanic" "other faiths have miracles as valid as our own" ect these dont require you to make an exhaustive investigation of every single miracle report,

catholicbridge.com/orthodox/has_the_orthodox_changed_any_teaching_or_doctrine.php

The abandonment of Rome's primacy alone was already a change of what had been agreed in the ecumenical councils.

>What would that reason and evidence, I really want to see how you deal with the question of other religions.
I mean an argument for Christ's Resurrection

>Is that a statement of faith from the Church fathers or a deduction?
Neither. I mean that there is no basis for a checklist. What basis would you use?

>So what happens to people who try and seek Christ in Orthodoxy but fail to be convinced or who find it in other faiths and demoninations?
We don't know.

>But you can ie "no other faiths have miracles" "other miracles are illusory/satanic" "other faiths have miracles as valid as our own" ect these dont require you to make an exhaustive investigation of every single miracle report,
God can work miracles in many ways. Other faiths don't have them, but that doesn't mean the Christian God doesn't work them in other places and times and so on.

No Ecumenical Council said that the Pope had Universal Jurisdiction, or that his teachings are infallible. These are the major issues, and they stem from the Donation of Constantine

>Issue of primacy
>Dogma

pick one, uninitiated pleb.

>I mean an argument for Christ's Resurrection
And what would that be?

>Neither. I mean that there is no basis for a checklist. What basis would you use?

How can it be neither unless by divine revelation?

>We don't know
Well if we know that the Holy Spirit doesn't turn anyone away cant you deduce the cause? Havent any of the Church Fathers discussed the issue of other religions?

>God can work miracles in many ways. Other faiths don't have them, but that doesn't mean the Christian God doesn't work them in other places and times and so on.

Is this argument based on faith or is it deduced?

wow thats gay

wew lads we got an aussie fedora tipper in here watch out!!

>And what would that be?
pastebin.com/9XxNnSU6

>How can it be neither unless by divine revelation?
There is no divinely revealed checklist except for "true". You can make others, like Vladimir did: he didn't convert to Islam because no alcohol, and liked Orthodoxy because it was the most beautiful. But there are all arbitrary.

>Havent any of the Church Fathers discussed the issue of other religions?
Heathen religions? Sure, but not in any theological depth except where they are refuting them or defending Christianity against them.

>Is this argument based on faith or is it deduced?
It's based on the definition of God as omnipotent, which he'd logically have to be, since he is unlimited by space, time, energy or matter. He can perform miracles wherever and whenever he wants.

>believing in millenia old desert scrolls written by goat farmers

I doubt the herders were literate

it was written by customs officers and other people who could read and write, straya.

Ill give it a look over although your second point in the conclusion at the end ignores cognitive dissonance which has lead to non Christian groups having similar results despite their religion failing

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/When_Prophecy_Fails

another case that might interest you

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Book_of_Mormon_witnesses

Note dont take this as me shitting on you or your faith but as wrestling with the truth

>There is no divinely revealed checklist except for "true". You can make others, like Vladimir did: he didn't convert to Islam because no alcohol, and liked Orthodoxy because it was the most beautiful. But there are all arbitrary.

What I meant was the whole there is no checklist point being one you deduced or take as a matter of faith.

>It's based on the definition of God as omnipotent, which he'd logically have to be, since he is unlimited by space, time, energy or matter. He can perform miracles wherever and whenever he wants.

I was referring to the belief that other religions dont/cant have miracles or similar events.

It's an induction. There is no checklist, because the checklist for each person might be different. Someone might just need one thing, the religion that says God is love. No other faith says that. For others, it might be other things.

>I was referring to the belief that other religions dont/cant have miracles or similar events.
God doesn't perform miracles *through* other faiths, but there's no reason he can't do miraculous things for non-Christians, Whether or not he does, we are ignorant of, because he never told us.

>It's an induction. There is no checklist, because the checklist for each person might be different. Someone might just need one thing, the religion that says God is love. No other faith says that. For others, it might be other things.

So you agree that there is a checklist but that its possibly different between people?

>God doesn't perform miracles *through* other faiths, but there's no reason he can't do miraculous things for non-Christians, Whether or not he does, we are ignorant of, because he never told us.

Is that God doesnt preform miracles through other faiths also an induction or does he state that?

>So you agree that there is a checklist but that its possibly different between people?
Yes. If, for instance, your checklist is polygamy as permissible and the death sentence for apostates, obviously Christianity is not going to be the faith you want.

>Is that God doesnt preform miracles through other faiths also an induction or does he state that?
That's an article of faith, mainly illustrated by several episodes of the Old Testament when other religions face-off against the faith God teaches. And they are unable to perform miracles, contrasted with God's faith, which does.

>Yes. If, for instance, your checklist is polygamy as permissible and the death sentence for apostates, obviously Christianity is not going to be the faith you want.

Isnt it more a checklist when it comes to what is true and not than things which are desirable?

>That's an article of faith, mainly illustrated by several episodes of the Old Testament when other religions face-off against the faith God teaches. And they are unable to perform miracles, contrasted with God's faith, which does.

Are only the Church fathers and clergy allowed to draw such deductions

Also I would appreciate your view on the concerns I had with that point in your essay.

>flag
Disregarded

>Isnt it more a checklist when it comes to what is true and not than things which are desirable?
It should be, but that's not how a lot of people think. Observe, for instance
>Are only the Church fathers and clergy allowed to draw such deductions
Clergy can't draw any deductions, they can only reiterate the teachings of Christ. Same goes for the Church Fathers. Someone is a Church Father based on being both a saint, and being an exemplary teaching of Christ's teachings. Christ

>Also I would appreciate your view on the concerns I had with that point in your essay.

All three witnesses eventually broke from the Church

Prophecy hasn't really failed in Christianity, so I am unsure of what you mean.

These are my gods. How do you feel about that, Christfags? Look upon the pantheon of reason and science and leave your silly faith behind. The only way to enlightenment is through your own intelligence.

>It should be, but that's not how a lot of people think. Observe, for instance

That just seems to be a person unsure of their checklist.

>Clergy can't draw any deductions, they can only reiterate the teachings of Christ

But that relies on deduction when it comes to issues he didnt directly discuss for instance things like IVF.

>All three witnesses eventually broke from the Church

There were 12 witnesses and 2 of those three returned to the Church and none of them denied witnessing the plates even when they werent part of the church.

>Prophecy hasn't really failed in Christianity, so I am unsure of what you mean.

Point 2 of your essay - that people could only fabricate for financial and social gain. This fails to account for

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disconfirmed_expectancy

and

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Escalation_of_commitment

Which demonstrate that people can fabricate things for other reasons.

Go shit up another thread

Your gods are the jews? good goy

Are you 12?

Catholic church have way worse Pope.
Francis is not even in the top 10.

And how do you think Catholic are "cucked" by a Pope?
Because we don't believe in killing others? Well not shit genius, that's one of the most important teaching of Jesus, if you wanna be a edgy crusade boy and kill muslims then you can't call yourself Catholic... So no, Catholic are not cucked by the Pope since this Pope is not doing anything that goes against the teaching of the Lord

Can some one help me out here , i used to be king james only , but i discovered that king james is probably cancer.

So what do , what is the best word of god in english, i am not going to learn greek

>bunch of faggots
>THESE ARE MY GODS

so edgy, AUSFAG, so edgy.