Your votes don't matter!

TRUMP?
HILLARY?
Third party?
Guess what?
It doesn't matter who you vote for, America. Your votes don't matter.
The president of the United States of America is voted in by the electoral college.
The electoral college was created to alleviate the pressure us voters feel when it's time to elect the president. It was deemed that the popular vote would be too irrational, too subjective to be wise. Since letting congress vote for the president would mean that our voices wouldn't be heard at all, the electoral college was created to vote on our behalf.
They're elected officials, elected by us, but do you remember voting for them? I don't. Did you know that they can be bought and sold, and each member represents millions of votes, but there's no rule that says they have to vote any direction but the way they wish.
YOUR VOTES DON"T MATTER.

No shit moron, but the more popular votes the more electoral votes get cast for that candidate, LEARN TO FUCKING ELECTORAL COLLEGE 101

The electoral college is determined by popular vote. It's complicated but read some more.

Better brush up on your government. It doesn't matter if no one votes. The electoral college doesn't have to vote the popular vote.

The electoral college does not have to vote the popular vote. It has happened more than once where the winning president did not get the popular vote.

Fuck off Russel Brand

There, punk? Reading up on the electoral college in utter disbelief? Finally realize you're blowing so much time and energy on politics, but nothing you ever say will ever matter because the government is self-affirming and only needs your taxes?

What do you care, Bruce? You don't get a vote either way.

Why does no one ever acknowledge this? You fags argue in fits of anger over who you're casting your COMPLETELY WORTHLESS votes for, but fail to recognize that's all a waste of time.

Bump

>The electoral college was created to alleviate the pressure us voters feel when it's time to elect the president. It was deemed that the popular vote would be too irrational, too subjective to be wise. Since letting congress vote for the president would mean that our voices wouldn't be heard at all, the electoral college was created to vote on our behalf.

No, you retard, it was created so larger states would not be able to completely dominate over smaller states through the popular vote.

Then some fucking retard in 18-whatever-the-fuck figured out a loophole that allows states to give all their votes to a candidate regardless of how the population voted.

That is the only broken part of the system, and I can't believe someone hasn't sued about "representation" yet.

The idea is that you get a wider range of interests represented. With a purely popular vote, a few of the largest cities would determine who the president becomes. But not everyone lives in the cities, or has their interests aligned with them.

The USA is not intended to be a Democracy. We democratically elect people to represent us, and those people are ultimately in control of who becomes president.

Despite whatever ridiculous excuse they used for its creation - and it WAS created at least partly as a buffer between us emotional voters and the presidency - the result is the same. The electoral college DOES NOT HAVE TO VOTE the popular vote.

All of everything that happens on Sup Forums is a waste of time. Trump or Hillary will win with or without your assistance.

...so, my point is validated. All of this arguing over which candidate will fuck us more gently is a waste of time.

Maybe. If the people we elect decide they'd rather screw over the people they represent, then hopefully we'd do something about it.

they do matter if you are in a swing state, your vote can change which side the electors vote for and swing the election

That's the overall attitude, but when did you vote for your elector? Do you know his name? I don't. I don't remember voting for him, either. I'm sure he was one of the seventy-nine names on the last ballot. Hope I voted for one that represents my interests.

You're missing the point. YOUR vote doesn't matter, not theirs.

YOUR vote doesn't decide who the electors vote for.

no, the broken part of the system is it not being the popular vote

that's the dumb congressional district method which only Maine and Nebraska use
>more people want some president
>farmer should have 100 urban votes lmao

>The electoral college DOES NOT HAVE TO VOTE the popular vote.
but that's not a practical issue because they basically always do

your vote matters retards lol, if you swing the state then the electors will basically vote the other candidate and can swing the election

If you are in a swing state you can literally be that vote which elects the president

This is something that should make everybody on Sup Forums mad as hell, but no one cares. Everyone defends the very system that robs you of the only voice you think you have.

Yeah, I grew up around people who cared about this stuff, and they made sure I knew how this stuff worked, but I figured it was memes.

Honestly, the best thing Trump did was getting me to pay attention to and develop opinions on politics. Probably going to start paying attention to the more local stuff.

You're deluding yourself.
Electors don't have to vote the popular vote, and often have allegiances that keep them from doing that. Check your history - it's not just once that the popular vote disagreed with the electoral vote.

Unfortunately, too many people are so caught up in the argument that they don't even realize they weren't even invited to participate.

>You're deluding yourself.
Nope you're deluding yourself if you think your swing vote doesn't matter

>Electors don't have to vote the popular vote
No shit

>and often have allegiances that keep them from doing that
delusion

>Check your history - it's not just once that the popular vote disagreed with the electoral vote.
Okay so I figured out why you're retarded
Electoral college is based on the accumulated majority state electors not the majority federal vote