It's kinda jarring to rewatch Iron Man 1. Other than arc reactors and AI...

It's kinda jarring to rewatch Iron Man 1. Other than arc reactors and AI, it feels so much more grounded than the other movies to come later, including the sequels.

Definitely doesn't feel like the same universe it became with gods and magic and talking alien trees and a man who can talk to ANTS.

Because it's not a Marvel Movie, it's just a Jon Favreau character drama. It's from the guy who wrote Swingers and directed Elf, so it's mostly a character piece with occasional punching.

nice product placemen

Product placement and nice do not belong in the same sentence.

>it feels so much more grounded than the other movies to come later, including the sequels.

It was a much more focused story. It was grounded because shit hadn't hit the fan nearly as much as it would in the future for Tony. He was only just starting out as a superhero in a world where the only one's before him had been out of the game for decades. So logically it'd be the most down to earth. It was a more personal story that didn't involve the immediate fate of the world in the balance.

>it's mostly a character piece with occasional punching.
Pretty much that.

>It's kinda jarring to rewatch Iron Man 1.

Not for me. Though nowadays when I watch these movies it's always in a marathon. So for me it just feels like apart of the puzzle like any of the other films.

>apart

Why do so many people do this? Is it a meme I don't know?

How would you of phrased it?

A part.

Apart = separate from
a part = part of

I remember how much I loved Iron Man and Incredible Hulk, and how excited I was for Captain America and Thor.

It was gonna be so cool to get these subdued, grounded takes on the Avengers individually, and then see what happens when they all meet.

Little did I know how wrong I was.

I think Iron Man 1 is my favorite Marvel movie so far.

We here in Trumpland say "a part", not "apart"

The reason I asked if it was a meme is because of shit like you're waifu

>of
I'll kill you

It's marred a little by how tacky and dated the anti-terrorism aspect of the movie is.

Thanks. It's the first time I've heard that. English is weird

Fuck off retroshill

It's also "would have" not "would of".

The jarring stuff for me is the stuff later movies and shows retconned like SHIELD being completely new. They didn't think of an acronym until the end.

ISIS exists right now.

It's definitely jarring to watch it and compare the mark II suit to the Civil War suit. Iron Man gets shot out the sky by a tank and crashes into the ground at a ridiculous speed, only to casually stand up and blow it up. War Machine drops out of the sky and gets fucked. Iron Man uses a guided targeting system to kill 6~ terrorists at once yet awkwardly scrambles around trying to punch Bucky even before his targeting system breaks.

You can argue that for whatever reason the new suits sacrifice armor and weaponry in favor of movement or something but it still feels weird.

>the stuff later movies retconned like SHIELD being completely new.

Where did you get that vibe? Every movie that implies Shield's history has made it apparent that it's been around for decades. IM2 Implies it's been around for a while by mentioning Howard Stark as one of it's founders, and he'd been dead for over 20 years by then. TWS more or less says it's been around since WWII ended. And Ant-Man tells us it had an active part throughout the entirety of the Cold War and that Pym was an instrumental agent of the time.

Between when IM1 came out and now, I've never gotten the idea that Shield was something recent.

I'd argue that for Bucky, Stark was pissed and wanted to literally get his hands on him.

Iron Man makes it seem like SHIELD was relatively new because Coulson speaks the full acronym every time he mentions his organization.

I guess he's talking about for thw whole movie half of Coulsons lines are him saying the whole thing (strategic blah blah blah) and then saying that "they're" still working on the name

Maybe it's me, but I preferred the movies BEFORE the Avengers. It felt more...focused?

Right now, Phase 2 and beyond always has that side plot of Infinity Stones/Thanos and really, REALLY weak villains.

Compare Blonsky to Kaecillius, Stane to Ronan, Red Skull to Malekith. Recent villains are really, really weak and feels more like an afterthought.

I think the quipfest started with Avengers 1.

>and then saying that "they're" still working on the name

That just gave me the impression he was being a smug cunt.

>because Coulson speaks the full acronym every time he mentions his organization.

He used the full name because he was addressing people who, for all he knew, had never heard of Shield. And he only did it once to both people.

Red Skull and Blonsky were well-acted weak villains, though.

Miss stakes like those are a diamond doesn't.

>the movies BEFORE the Avengers. It felt more...focused?

Well, at the time, it was in like laying the groundwork mode. And they were all building up to Avengers. Since Thor 2 they've been building toward Infinity War and Avengers 4, which is a longer haul than IM1 to Avengers 1.

Yeah it's absolutely retarded how "Captain America 3" has most of the Avengers in it. What were they thinking?

Red Skull was pretty forgettable.

I remember thinking the energy weapons in Cap 1, and nearly all of Thor, felt so weird and out of place. Iron Man 1 certainly was the most grounded, definitely.

Now we have literal magic and shrinking tech and talking raccoons, etc. It's weird to think how far it's gone in such an arguably short amount of time. But it's fun and it works.

This was explicitly stated in the commentary. It's why he shoots the silo latch closed instead of just trying to blast Bucky. It was personal.

yeah thank god we have pro-terrorism aspects in movies now

It's almost like instead of blowing their budget on a disconnected world of random cameos, they just had Stan Lee do his thing for a scene and concentrated on telling a story instead of setting up dozens of other movies.

Which is appropriate, given that at the time they were making it, they had no idea they'd even be making other movies. That's why it took them two years to release anything else at all.

>Red Skull was pretty forgettable.

I don't see how. He's the most entertaining of the MCU villains thus far. And one of the most distinct and influential in the MCU.

I don't remember shit about him.

I can remember Stane, Loki, Blonsky, and Whiplash and what they did in their respective movies pretty well, but I can't remember shit about what Red Skull did.

Not this user but I can barely remember what the ever loving fuck Blonsky did aside from just kind of wrestling around with Hulk before and after his transformation as Abomination. Compare that to Red Skull where I recall entire scenes and quotes from the first Cap film.

Just depends on what made them more memorable for you I guess.