What is it about Gwen Stacy and Marvel trying to turn her into the worst character that they have?

What is it about Gwen Stacy and Marvel trying to turn her into the worst character that they have?

I used to not give a shit about her, then I was into the Spider-Gwen idea, but they had to take it too far, right???

They're variant covers, who cares.

She's clearly the waifu of someone high up in either Marvel or Disney.

Maybe someone who got a boner from Gwen in the ASM movies and demanded her back in the comics or something.

It's just a joke, don't take it so seriously.

Variant covers are the reason Gwenpool exists.

>It's just a joke, don't take it so seriously.

Gwenpool was just a joke and she got a comic while the Fantastic Four were getting fuck in the ass.

Is not just a joke!

Gwenpool isn't even based on Gwen Stacy though, they just liked the costume design and decided to make a new character out of it.

>Gwenpool isn't even based on Gwen Stacy
That month's theme of variants was literally "Gwen Stacy as Marvel heroes". The backstory came later.

She's not Gwen Stacey, true, but let's not pretend she isn't a character derivative of Gwen. She was first made on a variant cover for Gwen month or whatever they called it. She began as a derivative of Gwen Stacey even if she isn't that character directly

their trying their hardest to make people forget about MJ

That doesn't negate anything you responded to. Her visual appearance was based on Gwen Stacy, because the whole thing grew out of a joke variant cover.

Why are they pushing this? Because the movies?

Gwen has always been Marvel's waifu. Marvel is full of nostalghiafags. Hell, in Marvels, they made her a pure Christ-figure.

The only reason Sins Past was never retconned was because Quasada was butthurt for JMS leaving and wanted to stick it to him for quitting by leaving the story canon (he also has pride in the story because he was the one who convinced JMS to make it Norman instead of Peter).

They're just listening to fans

Spider Gwen was just a tie in but she exploded and her book did well
The first round of variants did well and Gwenpool had cosplayers just based on the variant, so they gave Gwenpool a oneshot and a book and both of those did well

>They're just listening to fans

But sales are worse than ever, hell, one can argue that since the book was released Marvel started going downhill!

I mean, I'm not saying that it was because of the book, but around the same time

Why is there a giant angry Q*Bert on the cover?

It's self parody of the Gwen hero covers. Don't take it so seriously.

Yeah, but Gwenpool is great so it all turned out alright in the end.

>he was the one who convinced JMS to make it Norman instead of Peter
No he wasn't. Quesada just said that it couldn't be Peter. It was JMS that went "ah, fuck, I've written myself into a corner now" and went with Osborn.

And they're doing this by releasing Renew Your Vows?

>But sales are worse than ever
Not really. Marvel's sales are actually pretty good, they just look worse than they are because DC is doing extremely well versus the last couple years where DC was doing horribly.

Comic sales in general have been steadily increasing year to year since the late-00s. People just like to get all doom and gloom about the state of the industry. Diamond sales have been steadily increasing across the industry despite trades and digital becoming more popular as time goes on.

Wh-Why is Gwen Stacy like this on the cover?

Monsters Unlimited variant
The better question is which Gwen Monster variant will have it's own solo comc (because let's face it, it will)

That time of the month and forgot her midol. .

>wenpool is great

stale bait, mate.

>But sales are worse than ever
Except it's not

They just look bad compared to DC's double shipping and #1s

Marvel's August 2016 sales were up over 40% based on those in August 2015

Ehhhnnn... they haven't been doing great. It's a tipping point, by the looks of things; most of Marvel's #1s are getting shit sales (seriously, Infamous Iron Man did worse in some places than A-Force #10), and I think we might have the first instance of event tie-ins actually reducing sales in the form of Ms Marvel.

Spider Gwen was already too far you faggot. She should have stayed dead like uncle Ben.

Gwen Stacey has always been the favorite for those who got into Marvel well after her death and grew up reading her stories. It's why a lot of the writers during the late 90's and 2000's tried their best to make people hate Mary Jane and then One More Day happened. Gwen Stacey is that girl that dumped you in high school and you haven't gotten over here well into your 40's. it's that fucked up.

see

>Spider Gwen was already too far you faggot. She should have stayed dead

aka

>I didn't read the book but I'm complaining about it!

It shows.