I remember growing up and watching this on KidsWB, then years later again on Toonami, but I haven't watched it since

I remember growing up and watching this on KidsWB, then years later again on Toonami, but I haven't watched it since.

Does it still hold up? I remember my feelings on it being "this is the Superman I know", but it feels like a lot has changed since then.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=FHpOVBEXCxM
youtube.com/watch?v=pfAvN6rXdkM
youtube.com/watch?v=ZyILB1cVS7g
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Imo Superman TAS' quality is more consistent than Batman TAS, but because BTAS has episodes that were real gems pople love it more.

I'd watch JLU if you fear you won't like it because it has aged.

I personally feel it still holds up, I mean there are a few dated things here and there but overall the animation and stories are pretty enjoyable and the overall quality is pretty consistent.

I recently rewatched it about a year ago myself and found myself really finding a few gems. Hell if you want to just watch the episode I'm sure you can find some top 10 lists online

Batman TAS was a first of its kind and thus had a bigger impact.

Superman TAS didn't really break any ground, but it was a very nice representation of Superman.

it's ok but i wish it could have been made by superman fanboys and not jack kirby fanboys

Too much 4th World stuff for you, snowflake?

How d'you mean?

Imo it holds up better than most of BTAS
BB>JL>JLU>STAS>BTAS>SS>ZETA

Kirby had a lot of influence over the Superman mythos in the Bronze Age. Get over it.

People actually like JLU?

I thought it was kind of overblown and shitty.

Troll alert!!!

JLU was the best thing about the DCAU.

I can see how you feel that way, my list probably goes more like

JL > BB > STAS = BTAS > JLU > SS > Zeta

Yes JLU was pretty awesome if you asked me, original JL was better but can't deny that awesome Green Arrow and Question

>original JL was better

HELL NO!

The two first JL seasons are BORING AS HELL.

JLU adtually made the Justice League fun again.

I will agree that season 1 of Jl was a tad boring but are you going to deny the awesomness of season 2 and the overall just crazy shit they dealt with near season end

Also here's a Superman pic, feel free to shop your own background if you want

I knew I had this lying around for a purpose.

Recommended watching order:

Batman: The Animated Series, season 1 (65 episodes)
Batman: Mask Of The Phantasm
Batman: The Animated Series, season 2 (20 episodes)
Batman & Mr. Freeze: SubZero
Superman: The animate series, season 1 & 2 (13 and 28 episodes respectively)
The New Batman Adventures, season 1 (24 episodes)
Batman: Mystery of the Batwoman
Superman: The animate series, season 3 (13 episodes)
Batman Beyond, season 1, 2 & 3 (13, 27 and 12 episodes respectively)
Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker
Justice League, season 1 & 2 (26 episodes each)
Justice League Unlimited season 1, 2 & 3 (13 episodes each)

To complete, though it was directed by an other team, yet still set in the same universe, after having watched Justice League, you can watch
Static Chock season 1, 2, 3 and 4
As well as Zeta Project, after having watched Season 1 of Batman beyond.

I've always thought the hour-long episodes hurt JL.

They often had a lot of padding.

Yes, it holds up very well actually.

There's very even episode quality, both in terms of animation, and writing and story.

Content wise it mostly boils down to random Superman sci-fi adventures. Which is excellent. It's exactly how Supes should be used.

If I have one complaint about the series as a whole, it's that the Kent's feel underdeveloped, and are utilized sparingly. But honestly, that's kind of refreshing if you put it next to something like Smallville, or uhh... nevermind.

Also best theme
youtube.com/watch?v=FHpOVBEXCxM

And some of the very best Lois-Clark interaction
youtube.com/watch?v=pfAvN6rXdkM

There are no Superman fanboys that aren't too retarded to work professionally.

today yeah but superman tas was made before all those guys died in that bus crash

it didn't really feel like their heart was in it until darkseid showed up

like if you gave them the option of doing a superman show or a new gods show, they would have chosen the latter in a heartbeat

i wish they did have that option because id rather have a really good new gods cartoon than an ok superman cartoon

Quick question, but was the Lois & Clark series any good? Worth revisiting?

It has a few good episodes but many of them are stories that should have lasted 10 minutes but were forced to last 22. This is why I actually prefer 11 minute episodes; you have freedom. If you NEED a longer story you can just have it take up 2 slots. Most stories don't need all 22 minutes.

The Late Mr. Kent and Brave New Metropolis are fucking masterpieces.

It was cheesy as fuck

It wasn't all bad, but they really had no fucking idea of how to end the series.

The entire timmverse holds up extremely well today.

I agree with you buddy.

Batman had good stories sometimes but the character just seems off to me. He doesn't seem like enough of a hero.

I rewatched the whole DCAU and finished a few days back. Batman TAS seems very dated by now. animation looks really shit sometimes, Batman moves look awkward. always shoots his hook just into the sky where it finds hold, always manages to swing from above etc.
story is a bit disconnected as well.
From Superman TAS and everything after is fine. Story gets denser as well.

It's what makes it my favorite out of the whole DCAU.

can we all agree that Justice League had the worst title theme/intro?

and still I can't get rid of it in my mind

>get over it

oh fuck off, internet tough guy faggot.

>always shoots his hook just into the sky where it finds hold, always manages to swing from above etc.
I remember one scene that was incredibly dubious. Batgirl used her grappling hook into the sky where there was literally nothing to swing from, I think near a farm? It was just too much for me.

Not all of it, really. A lot of Justice League and Justice League Unlimited have a lot of messy and lazy insertions into the setting. Superman was a good cartoon despite the staff clearly not liking him much because they still made a hell of an effort to try and get what his appeal was and what made him work. When it came to characters like Green Lantern, Flash, Wonder Woman, and a ton of others they just threw the characters in and then either ignored them or turned them into some weird warped version of the writers' own desires and appeals. The entirety of the show really wrapped around Batman and Superman, and mostly Superman's involvement was just because of his Rogues Gallery.

>When it came to characters like Green Lantern, Flash, Wonder Woman, and a ton of others they just threw the characters in and then either ignored them or turned them into some weird warped version of the writers' own desires and appeals.
I never realized this. Do you have an episode in mind that shows this most blatantly?

I'd say watching Batman Beyond should be done after JLU, seeing how it's chronological order.

Better yet, only watch the first ~16 episodes of Beyond. The show's quality drops when the picture quality changes, and the more of Beyond you watch the more the shitty retcon from JLU hurts.

No, Because it's not the narative order.

Severl JLU epsode make better sense if you have seen Batman Beyond before.

The story arc where Wonder Woman finds out her father is truly HadeSatan, but more overall Wonder Woman is just a brick that has to deal with being an alienating bitch completely against character. The Flash arc where his rogues are a bunch of embarrassing goofs (fitting the show as Flash was an embarrassing goof.) The show even to the end had Superman as mostly a chump, but heavily used his Rogues, especially Brainiac Lex and Darkseid (to the point that the ending of the show is Lex Luthor defeating Darkseid, after the other finale of Lex Luthor with Brainiac.) Green Lantern's only focus is being a Marine or meeting Oa once, and his infinitely creative ring is used to make 90% laser blasts or bubble shields only. Most of JLU's characters are fun, but they're usually just treated as stock designs most of the time with generic backstories and abilities, ignoring anything unique about them. It's not a bad show, but it's absolutely not the god-toon that it used to be praised as.

>the more the shitty retcon from JLU hurts.
1. It's not a retcon, it was always planned
2. It's in no way shittty, that epsiode was great.

Call it a twist or a retcon, it's still the shittiest plot point in the entire DCAU.

It was fucking great episode.

There's plenty of great episodes after that, and the quality drop is nowhere near as bad as BTAS
Narrative order doesn't apply as much when it's not a single series, but rather a set of series with a couple crossovers here and there. Plus not knowing the future is more immersive, since the JL has no idea what's it all either, with only Epiloge being the sole exception, but it's really a BB episode anyway.

There is still narrative order as the series were written one after the other and often base themselves on element of the previous series.

JLU is better to be watched after Beyond.

The episode was alright, but the whole Terry being Bruce's son all along and is a lor more like him than he realizes was a really shitty move, considering how much the show and even the movie highlight that Terry isn't like him and is his own man.

Thanks for the info. I just realized I didn't really watch many Wonder Woman episodes, or any episodes not featuring Superman or Batman for that matter. Looks like I only really liked the show for them.

I actually don't like their treatment of Superman for many episodes, including the one you mentioned where he gets wrecked by Darkseid and Lex bails him out. I don't like their treatment of Batman either, especially how everyone hates him. The funniest aspect for me is how in TAS he states "I am Vengeance" while in Brave and the Bold he chooses the path of justice in Chill of the Night.

But that was the whole point of the episode. That no matter what, he is not Bruce Wayne.

But they fuck up that whole point by making him yes actual Bruce Wayne, he just has his parents die later. It fucks up its own message worse than Naruto.

Just started watching Smallville, what am I in for, Sup Forums?

>But they fuck up that whole point by making him yes actual Bruce Wayne
No, they do the literal opposite. They clearly establish that he doesn't have to be Bruce wayne, no matter what ( and only Terry's dad is dead).

That is genetic connection isn't what make him what he is.

Lots of kryptonite; SO MUCH kryptonite.
Lionel is a shit.
Ma and Pa Kent are beautiful.
Clark thinks [insert anything here] is his fault.
Lana sucks.

35 minutes of filler, 5 minutes of actual show. Man it was so boring. Lots of high school drama, even some early SJW nonsense (Pete Ross is black for some reason?) You'll like it if you're a girl.

Okay, so . . . wouldn't it have made more sense, then, to have him NOT be related to fuckin Batman???

It holds up in general, but it's not as well-remembered as other DCAU shows because it was lacking the kind of memorable episodes that BTAS, Justice League, JLU, and even Batman Beyond had.

I'm at episode 2 and there's a shit ton of mid 2000s jams. That might be enough to keep me through it.

That was a decent message that he was already proving by not being Batman's son. But they turn him into Bruce Wayne in an engineered attempt to make Batman and he just coincidentally turns into Batman, then say the message is that he isn't Batman because he's Bruce Wayne. It's a stupid convoluted twist that undercuts the message that it was trying to convey.

Do it, kid, if such is your desire.

The whole point is that it doesn't matter.

Narratively, this whole issue would have got no reason to be addressed in the first place if there wasn't that in the first place.

The fact that they even included it all implies it matters.

>But they turn him into Bruce Wayne
They didn't. That's being explicitly said.
>hen say the message is that he isn't Batman because he's Bruce Wayne
1. he is not Bruce Wayne.
2. What they actually say is that it doesn't matter.
>It's a stupid convoluted twist that undercuts the message that it was trying to convey.
It's a narattive trigger that catalyse the worries and doubt Terry had developed for a while.

Volcana and Luminus sucked.

No, the point is preciselay that it doesn't matter to terry.

But why does it not matter?
If the fact that you're genetically related to Bruce Wayne is a real thing, and then you become Batman, but then people say it doesn't matter because you would have become Batman regardless-
Then what's the point?
Why not just make it all a big Spellbinder trick?

Braniac, Toyman and Livewire were my favorite villains. Favorite episode was "The Late Mr. Kent".

Superman TAS doesn't just "hold up." Saying it "holds up" is like saying The Dark Knight "holds up." It was a character defining turn that has been etched into pop culture forever. STAS like BTAS before it perfectly adapted characters and storylines from the comics in a way that people of all ages, all time periods and all demographics can easily understand.. It cleaned up old campy storylines and made them relatable. STAS basically became the standard by witch all future superman adaptations are judged.

I think Volcana is the one girl from a prominent cartoon I've never seen Sup Forums gush about in ten years.

I mean, it's okay, but it's also a little dull and it doesn't use the source material to its fullest potential at all.

>but then people say it doesn't matter because you would have become Batman regardless-
That's not the reason and no, he wouldn't have turned into batman regardless. It was purely coïncidental.

It doesn't matter that he is related to bruce wayne because he is not him and can still decide how to lead his life.

It doesn't matter because he isn't cursed by anything but his own decisions.

Neither Superman TAS or Dark Knight conveyed their main characters properly though. This is a big problem, especially considering how many normies take these as definitive versions of the characters.

STAS, BTAS and TDK didn't need to adapt ever aspect of the character from the comics. Trying to do so would have ruined the character. These are just as much definitive versions of the characters as Tim Burton and Richard Donner's.

STAS did it's own thing while respecing the source material. You can't ask for anything more. There's a reason every animated movie since has tried to capture that same look and feel.

Because Bruce Timm is still on their payroll and homogeneity in style is a comics tradition?

>conveyed their main characters properly
What does this actually mean?

When do you watch Brainiac attacks?

No, he didn't. Outside of the fourth world connected Jimmy Olsen issues(which were very few), he had no influence over whatever was happening in Super titles.

Season 1 is a good romance only to be completely retooled in season 2 to something more family friendly. Both seasons are good but have a different feel. Then the quality starts to suffer and by the end of season 4 everyone is just phoning in their lines.

And yet Darkseid has been established as a Superman villain and Intergang is used in almost every single Suprman medium (though usually as a generic super-gang for Superman to beat up).

It wasn't that good. I thought it was decent at best. It seemed that the writers had no idea what to do with Superman, so they just depowered him to show fights in the episodes. Millar and other Superman adventure writers was Timmverse Superman done right.

What other generic super-gang could be used for a Superman threat instead of Intergang?

Intergang is such a small part of Superman, that's possibly the lamest thing you could bring up.

The Superman Revenge Squad, I guess.

Nope, the Red Undwear is the lamest thing you can bring up!

He's Superman!

Darkseid as a Superman villain was brought in by Byrne. Most of the fourth world stories in Superman have been shitty. Intergang was just one of hundreds of gangs plaguing Superman comics.

Why do girls get to wear shorts over leggings but when Superman wears shorts over his tights it's somehow bad?

The only solution: genocide. Anyone who makes fun of Superman's trunks should be instantly annihilated.

darkseid was literally introduced in a superman spinoff comic

Means nothing. Kirby only took over the comic because Jimmy Olsen was selling like shit.

Point of order: Save JLU season 2 episode "Epilogue" for very last.

that is true

Pretty much this. Superman has more consistently good episodes, but the best episodes of Batman are better.

Is Green Lantern TAS not considered apart of the DCAU?

IN

no it is not

THIS is Superman to me. There hasn't been any other version that comes close.

>tfw Snyderverse Darkseid won't even be half as great as Ironseid

youtube.com/watch?v=ZyILB1cVS7g

mega casual

>tfw we'll never get a world of cardboard speech in snyderverse.

Maybe we'll get something better.

That speech kind of falls short when he still loses though. I kind of wish that he had won using sun reserves he never knew he had.

>highlight on the trunks is not red
Fucking fix it.

JLU is widely considered to be one of the greatest superhero cartoons of all time, you fucking moron.