So, if Thor is a "god" in Marvel's universe....how does he feel about the fact that there is a Judeo Christian god...

So, if Thor is a "god" in Marvel's universe....how does he feel about the fact that there is a Judeo Christian god? How does he feel about or explain that other "gods" like Hercules exist? Do they feel the other is not a real god?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/f0ZbdsAwruY
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

It's complicated

>the fact

It's not a fact at all, unlike Thor's existence.

There's a comic where a Catholic priest asks him this same question. Thor basically answers that he doesn't know where he comes from and that he can be killed, so it's likely there is a greater power beyond him. Also, he's bro with Herc.

No, it's a fact. God, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit go to a bar with Howard the Duck at one point. Also, hell in the Marvel Universe is heavily based on catholic interpretations of it.

He's just a space dude that did some legendary stuff.

Correction there are several hells in the marvel universe

It's basically like different kingdoms.

I doubt you've actually seen that movie you just made up in your head.

It's the same hell, there's just different domains of it ruled by different entities.

You're right, maybe I should go rewatch Passion of the Christ.

But they believe that other gods are also gods?

They do have get togethers

yes

other deities recognize each other

look up Hercs "god squad" stuff. it's like Marvels take on that one episode of South Park where all the religious figures are on a super friends team

thor isnt that kind of god, he behaves more like a human with powers and abilities beyond our human scope, likewise hercules is a "god" but doesnt really behave like the kind of capital-G god of christians

a God would behave quite differently, with nothing at all above them (all-mighty), and having complete knowledge of everything that has happened and foreknowledge of anything that could happen (all-knowing), Thor is strong but not all-powerful, there people stronger than him there are limitations on his abilities, as neboulous as they are. he is also far from all-knowing, even heimdall's future sight can be spoofed occasional

Why would Thor care? He's used to sharing the title of god with many others, a few more wouldn't change anything.

I think you're confusing a god with "God". If you want to be technical, Thor would perhaps be a demigod

>a God would behave quite differently, with nothing at all above them
Which would mean the only real God in the Marvel universe is The One Above All.
All other Gods are really just gods.

I'm already loving how this day is turning out.

So he behaves like a god from a polytheistic religion instead of the Judeo-Christian God. In real world Norse myth, the gods weren't all powerful. They had limits. They weren't even immortal unless they kept eating magic apples.

Those niggas look like birds

Holy shit
What happened to Opie?

Fuck Norton too. Preachy, hypocrite, kiss-ass, know-it-all became everything he ever made fun of and despised

There was an arc where Thor went through a Ragnarok to liberate his people from Those Who Sit Above In Shadow. IIRC they were attributed as being the creators of the Asgardians.

>They weren't even immortal unless they kept eating magic apples.

The apples are a thing in Marvel too, but I think they only have to eat them once.

>Hercules
>god
Nice try, bastard spawn.

There's only one God, ma'am, and I'm pretty sure he doesn't dress like that.
>audience breaks out into cheering and song

as a man born in 1918, there is a 99% chance of him being a protestant

Why do comics even need to force in god in the first place? Before like 6 months again didnt know marvel had a hell.

Man, I'm not even complaining about modern artists, there's good ones and bad ones, but why can't we get some stuff in 70s-80s realism like that?

What do you mean "force in god"?

It's probably monolatristic. They understand that multiple gods exist, they just worship whatever they prefer.

Dc has a hero that is the embodiment of gods wrath. They also play him out as the good guy and think being thrown in hell for petty crimes is righteous. I wanna read about superheros not get preached too.

What are some good reads in marvel or DC involving gods? Not like thor or herc, but like ones that aren't used often in comics.

So don't read them retard, no one is forcing you too

But he's Irish, I'd put my money on Catholic

Well faggot sometimes it invades my favorite superhero comics into a fucking chick book. So fuck off and dont tell me my comics should be a christian guilt propaganda.

Marvel doesn't really do that, since they only rarely deal with current religions, except from a human level, like with Daredevil or Nightcrawler.

As for that one example you picked, "The Spectre", he's only rarely portrayed as an explicit "good guy", because he's very Old Testimant. I think it's canon that he (or maybe the one he replaced) was involved in the Plagues of Exodus.
It's like how the Punisher is rarely portrayed as a hero, just the protagionist.

Eh, i see your point their. Maybe if they didnt constantly put the christian god as the supreme being and mearly have him so kind of lesser creature under the true creator that could be expanded as its own character, id feel less pissed.

Seriously, The Spectre is practically a horror character, due to how damn gruesome his punishments can get.
Hell, once the CCA happened, and he couldn't just fucking kill people, he had to get CREATIVE, with shit like this, or the time he turned a criminal into a candle and set the match so he could burn to death (again, he could feel all of it).

It's a different kind of story, true. I can see why you wouldn't want religion to get in the way of your cape comic, but there's some genuinely good stories that use religion to great effect. John Ostrander's run on The Spectre, for instance. Or the original Lucifer series. Even then in DC proper, God is never really an active presence. He shows up a bit in Lucifer, but that's because the protagionists is literally Lucifer, the former King of Hell.

I do wanna read lucifer sometime. That shit looks good

I thought they were created BY the Asgardians

We're never given an explicit origin for them, and even the one given at the end of Agent of Asgard is ambiguous.

>hell in the Marvel Universe is heavily based on catholic interpretations of it.
What, fire and brimstone? Because none of that is actually in the Bible; just popularized by Paradise Falls, along with the Devil ruling Hell.

What little the Bible describes of Hell is a dark, dismal place, and that's really about it.

Fuck you the new show is SUH-WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET, you just tefted

WHERE'D THE CHEESE GO
I 'ON'TKNOW

DON'T INTERRUPT ME CUNT

Nah, the Revelation does mention a "Lake of Fire and Brimstone" quite copiously. The idea of sinners burning for eternity goes back a loooong way, at least up Ancient Egypt, and it's been used by Christian writers long before John Milton came about.

The bit about Satan ruling hell is true though.

Don't let me forget that I DANCED!

Sometimes, Yahweh is part of the council of Skyfathers.
Sometimes it is implied the supreme God is the One-Above-All.

Maybe both are true and it's a gnostic type deal: the true God is good and kind, but Yahweh is a warlike brutal god, like so many others.

The gods of Marvel-Earth are very much a part of the planet, like humans.

1922. But the point stands.

I have no idea what you guys are on about, but I am intrigued.

Radio wars

Actually, early into Marvel Earth's lifespan, several powerful demonic being appeared. At the time the human concept of Satan and hell already existed. They all liked the idea, so they all simultaneous took up the title of The Devil and created their own domains based on slightly different versions of the christian hell.

Reed still manages to be an atheist when he actually met the damn guy
Why would Thor give a shit

>Moron
>not Mongrel
ONE JOB

Pantheons are like kingdoms to him. He knows there are other pantheons in other realms and knows Odin is the king of his. While he can understand that the "kings" of other pantheons could go toe-to-toe with Odin and some may even possibly beat him, he suffers from the very human delusion of "my dad could beat up your dad"-ism

Well, he may just be right. Odin is probably the most powerful of the Skyfathers. And the one who always takes the initiative in these get-togethers.

youtu.be/f0ZbdsAwruY

Hey, cool! R63 art of Thor!

Do Angela next.

The various other Pantheons are all subservient to The One Above All who is (essentially) the Abrahamic God.

The various heads of Earth Pantheons (Odin, Zeus etc) attend the Council of Godheads to discuss important events that are too big for any one of them.

In addition, in the Marvel Universe "Mother Earth" is the same figure in most religions (i.e. Gaia and Jord are the same person, which makes Thor and Hercules distant cousins).

Probably because he's the only recurring character out of all of them

What are Tit-Man's powers?

The cristian God is canonically one of if not the most powerful god in Marvel. He just never deals with things personally, while Odin will come down and kick your ass himself.

I hate this joke.

>The One Above All who is (essentially) the Abrahamic God.
Stylistically, he's not depicted as such. There is a Yahweh figure, who looks like Yahweh, but it's usually a bit different when TOAA shows up. I think Yahweh might just be a Skyfather.

>canonically

Source?

Laughter - it is said - is conquered sadness.

Well, even in Judeo-Christian texts, "god" isn't a single, all-powerful entity, and repeatedly punishes "his" followers for rocking up at every funny looking rock they pass with a goat to sacrifice, so I would imagine Thor or whoever feels like one of those gods. Even in the New Testament there are godlike beings explicitly divorced from the power of God, and how much of the OT you get to ignore depends on which of the four major gospels you place most emphasis on, since at least two of them are directly in contradiction to one another at key points. When you start getting into the NT apocrypha it becomes even more complicated.

So having proven that these are gods plural in the OT/NT, it's really down to how the Norse gods are presented in their own texts; guess what, there's loads of them and they get along like people with one another, doing people shit like gods seem to do the world over. So, like that.

tl;dr probably no worse than he feels about his Allfather

Steamrolling over his guests and co-hosts, dictating the mood of the studio and generally ruining talk radio with his awful jokes and desperation to go viral.

I can't believe "Skyfather" is a term that is used. They have "sky daddy" as a title. That makes me laugh..

Here's the ranking. God (El) is not the most powerful entity in marvel, but he's stronger than all of the gods that are still around. Even his higher ranking archangels are on par with elder gods. But he resides in heaven, A plane more detached from Earth than the branches of the worldtree or other similar planes, so he works almost exclusively though agents he bestows with his power. That's where we get Ghost Riders from.

y'all motherfuckers don't even read comics, do you?

TOAA is deduced by anybody who is anybody in the cosmos, in Aristotle's way. Let me rephrase it: if who/what currently seems as the biggest fish isn't capable of the wholesome creation, there needs to be higher authority. Living Tribunal is known for NOT having created the multiverse, yet holds supreme power - it probably means that his direct Boss is, in fact, the Creator. And logically, it stops at Him.

>Skyfather
It's decently accepted term for a recurring anthropological phenomenon, along with the Earth Mother.

>dirt mummy
hilarious

>Planet Parent

It can be both, gods don't have to conform to our limited human understanding of cause and effect

LEAVE IT ALONE

He can be fucking annoying sometimes, but I still love him.

What happened? Haven't listened in a while, but I did hear that it's the Sam and Jim show now.

>We will never get a Thor movie that explores the sheer magnitude of his world

God fucking dammit, Thor's movies should have been metal as fuck. At this fucking point Surtur, Magog, Ulik, and the Midgard Serpent should already be around the corner, but instead we're stuck with 'muh funneh Kat Dennings,' boring fucking human shit, and fucking Planet Hulk instead of a legitimate Thor movie. Thor 1 and 2 were literally in name only. It's absolutely frustrating when you see how much they could've done. Hell, even Malekith could've been fucking based if they actually followed the comics, and even lead up to Surtur.

every god ever exists in both DC and Marvel universe, being atheist is retarded even Mister Teriffic agrees

they aren't classical gods, behaving more like extremely powerful normal beings, rather than some metaphysical force that exerts control over every aspect of the universe

AHHHH WHY IS MY NAME THERE AHHHH

TOAA and in DC i think its the christian god exist, idk and who cares MARVEL and DC are weird its better to just accept everything exist because every religion practically does

The CCA was the best thing that could have happened to The Specter's writers; it forced them to become incredibly creative and all in all more heinous in their writing of the character

I'm actually not sure man, Herc and Thor and their dads definitely get the most spotlight. I would love to see a series about the various other gods and pantheons however.

I do know Marvel published a 616-canon version of the Illiad and Oddysey.

Yeah, Norse Gods are basically just high level RPG characters. They are badass, but they are badass because they have huge stats and sweet equipment. Thor can't even lift his own hammer without his gauntlets of giant strength AND his belt of might. Which means that when he hits something with Mjolnir is stays hit, but he still relies on outside sources of power for many of his feats.

So in what way are they gods?

Isn't that what Thor 3 is about? none of the Earth characters are showing up except Hulk who will probably dissapear near the conclusion so we can get planet Hulk

No

Worship more or less.
The concept of god isn't really as concrete as one would think.
Asgardians were just deities worshipped because being on their side would hopefully bring favor. But for a lot of cultures, gods were always just really strong fuckers rather than metaphysical personifications of our reality.

Who said that Yahweh = the One Above All?

>being atheist is retarded even Mister Teriffic agrees

Actually he DIDN'T agree.

They are born from the life-force of the Elder Gods. It's a whole thing. In fact, let me see...

No, it's a loose adaptation of Planet Hulk, and the villains are Hel and Loki, both of which I don't give a fuck to see as the center baddies in a movie with the name Ragnarok.

Gods aren't really gods. They were just being worshiped as Gods by ancient peoples.
They are just very powerful beings. That's how I see them.

How would you define 'a god' then?

I guess the real gods should be the creators and universal personifications, like cosmic beings like Death or Eternity. And ofcourse, the One Above All.

I think that's pretty much the consensus. There's tiers of gods. Even though Eternity is nothing like a god: he is not really interested in anything but his own survival.

Then again, he is everything...

The Living Tribunal is more like something you might liken to a god. Judging and all.

It's UFC/WWE Talk all the time. Unlistenable garbage.

Surtur and the Fenris Wolf are supposed to be in it too. And maybe the Eternals or the Celestials.