Real or fake 4k

Why is this allowed? Does it cost more to master movies in 4k than it does in 2k?

4k is four times the resolution of 2k. While shooting and editing at 4k doesn't add much of a cost these days, the VFX at higher resolution bump up the cost significantly.

>4k is four times the resolution of 2k
no

I don't think you can count.

That's only 3 times bigger, nigger.

>gets his american education exposed
>"haha I was pretending to be a retard"

Are you stupid or something? How many times can you fit orange area in red area? Three. It's three times bigger.

+1 the one orange area thats already inside it

I guess buy one get one free for giving in so here's an extra (you)

Are your 4k movies L shaped?

Can they not just render the effects at 4k? Like the computer gives the option to render at 4k or do I not know what Im talking about?

>1x4=3

You can but it will take roughly 4x time.

cgi rendering shit is very very computationally intensive. It would cost a lot more/take more time.

>racist
>dumb

what a surprise

see

But couldnt they just click render in 4k and leave it until it's done? I dont understand how that ups the cost of it

It's 1+1*3. Your original frame does not disappear mysteriously.

Well you rent rendering farms, basically.... lots and lots of supercomputers. There's lots of them, enough computers to work on every movie there is full time 24/7/365.

1+1*3 = 1*4 you fucking retard

They could but consider that original render took one month and the better one would take four months. Also they have to pay for a render farm and discrepancy between 4k effects and 2k video will be very noticeable.

Yeah, we had a lot of these threads a couple of years ago.

I remember they had the 4K release of Ghostbusters.

>35mm film scanned at 2K, mastered for 4K release

Absolutely befuddling.

I remember they had one film, but I can't remember what it was, that was shot on 2K with a 4K release.

Like...what's the fucking point?

You need roughly 4x time, and time is money. Waiting around forever isn't free when there are deadlines to meet.

Also, when you're rendering the effects in four times the resolution, you need to up the fidelity of the work to match. Where before you could hide some of lack of detail in 2k, they're very apparent in 4k. That means higher resolution models and textures and simulation effects.

It all adds up to a big price tag.

Kek.

It's not, learn PEMDAS, retard.

I see, thank you guys for the info

Hi Terrence.

1+1*3 = 6
it is six times bigger

This is a great thread.

Basically studios said;

>2K is good enough.

I dunno. I've seen plenty of stuff shot in 2K that looks fantastic, and other stuff that was shot AND mastered in higher resolutions that looks like trash.

Same goes for 16mm/35.

Look at Captain America: Civil War. Ugly, washed out, fuzzy effects.

Shot in 6.5k and mastered in 4k.

Then look at Skyfall - Shot in 2.8K, mastered in 4K (they had some 5k environment shots in there - probably the Scotland stuff)

You're absolutely right. That's why I don't buy or watch 4k movies. The black rectangle is pretty distracting.

are movie theater screens in 4k nowadays?

You are master troll

A lot of them are still 2k. Some of those smaller screens are just 1080p. Theaters love to pinch the penny and not invest into better hardware.

Some theaters were dragged into upgrading to 4k/60fps when The Hobbit was coming out. I bet most are regretting that now when 60fps ended up being a joke.

>Cuts off Brie Larsons tits

RECTANGLE FUCKING SHITS

I know! 4k is the new Pan & Scan.

Reminder that The Avengers was shot in 2k and mastered in 1080p

You are fake news.