kek

>star trek
>hard sci-fi

HAHA

only normies movies

even solaris

Event Horizon is the only good film here

HA

that's a decent chart for normies, but it's pretty pointless to post it on a board of film enthusiasts

>star trek
>hard sci-fi

I only watched star trek (2009) and it looked not much different than star wars to me. I simply didn't care enough to watch sequeals, tv series or older star trek movies.

What subredit did you get this from, my man?

>hard sci fi
>star trek
this is what people actually believe

>flow chart
>with movies

why

Johnny Mnemonic is about the most cyberpunk a movie could be, how is that not mentioned

Yeah, I don't get it either

>hard sci-fi
>star trek
>interstellar

>cyberpunk
>GitS
>12 monkeys
>minority report
>blade runner
>paprika

goddamn this list/chart fucking sucks.

Not to mention its got some movies under space opera that could not be translated to any time period without meaningful alterations to the plot.

Jesus, Blade Runner and GitS are staples of the genre (Blade Runner is more tricky, but it still belongs). What kind of definition of cyberpunk you have that they don't belong.

>looper is more cyberpunk than most the movies in cyberpunk

>inception and source code are harder science fiction than most movies in hard sci-fi.

who the fuck made this shit

red dwarf needs to be added to scifi comedy along with the orville

hard sci-fi != accurate sci-fi
fucking kys

high tech, low life individualist.

blade runner is about a goddamn cop hunting down and killing the marginalized. GitS is about a goddamn member of the super secret government cyber-crimes division doing the same.

Cyberpunk really only exists in literature. The matrix and (as mentioned) Johnny Mnemonic are actual cyberpunk.

hard-science fiction is defined, mostly, by how well a work establishes and sticks to it's own rules. High levels of internal consistency, etc. Interstellar has just about zero internal consistency and star trek has less than zero internal consistency.

>hard sci-fi
>star trek films
Consider end of life solutions.

The loop isn't even closed. How do you get back to Comedy?

Star Trek is science fantasy

this. it triggered me more than I expected. never cared for hard sci fi, but come on...

>tv
>board of film enthusiasts

Seen em all, not bad chart, very normie

But can have low-life and police or government tool as a protagonist, it's like crime stories but of Raymond Chandler. The hero is on the side of the law, but the world is seedy and gritty.

You could argue that GitS is neo-cyberpunk but as far as movies go it's still one of the biggest and Blade Runner codified the aesthetic for the genre for years. Even Gibson himself praised the movie and said Scott got it right.

Part about books I can see, but I generally think sci-fi as far as ideas go is subpar in cinema compared to books, visuals and script may be most enticing.

>The hero is on the side of the law, but the world is seedy and gritty.

That's called noir

Blade runner is based on a phillip K dick novel, do androids dream of electric sheep. Gibson's opinion is irrelevant.

Yeah I know, I've read it. But you do see the differences in tone and substance I hope?

>Space Opera
>forced Firefly/Serenity meme
>includes TV series but does not include Battlestar Galactica
Reddit was a mistake.

go back to flow chart school

Sure, as scott took a surrealistic sci-fi novel and made it futuristic noir.

t. Cash

BSG is shit, the only people who think otherwise watched while it was airing.

Wrong and wrong.

>no district 9
>no solaris
>no sunshine
>no war of the worlds
>no starship troopers
>no predator
>no Invasion of the Body Snatchers

Stay reddit reddit.

Also no futurama (since they were adding tv shit as well)

Reddit has to be put down.

There is solaris on that list and starhip troopers was garbage.

the list is still shitty tho

>no solaris
>no sunshine
Get your eyes checked, lad. Your point still stands, though.

i've already seen all of those so that guide does absolutely nothing for me

Starship troopers was there, under arnold to the right.

>Paprika
>cyberpunk

Shit ye, now i see them...

They also forgot stargate.... thought it was normie core.

why the fuck is "Dance Off Bro!" the head of space opera?
it should be under Marty Mcfly in Comedy

>that hard sci-fi list

FUCKING
KEK

its been tainted by those god-awful television shows.

This one is way better, oh wait except
>brazil
GET THAT SHIT OUT OF THERE

space opera are stories that are set in the future but could be translated to any time period without meaningful alterations to the plot or characters.

Of course that doesn't apply to the last goddamn starfighter.

why?

I'm the guy that defended BR and GitS, but this is just retarded.

This flowchart makes no sense. How do you even get to the comedy section?

Coz it fucking blows ass thats why, its like a pizza with every flavor in the menu, its a clusterfuck that falls apart.

Add akira and evangelions (let the virgins cry)

>equilibrium
>distrct 9
>donie darko
>a.i.
>the book of eli
>a scanner darkly
List is confirmed for BASED
Great job if you made this.

It's almost impossible to make a Cyberpunk film list because depending on how strict your definition of "cyberpunk" is almost nothing ever committed to celluloid fits the description except for Johnny Mnemonic, which while it captures every aspect of the cyberpunk experience is also campy as all fuck. So you'll only ever get things that are tangentially cyberpunk and brush up against one or two of the concepts introduced in Gibson et al's writings.

>Total Recall remake

>no farscape
What idiot made this garbage

There are far more problems with that obvious troll image than Farscape not being on it.

>Interstellar
>hard sci-fi

*inhales*

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA

*burps*

Ahem, excuse me.

*inhales sharply*

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

>Terminator
>Siberpunk
Confirmed for never reading a single line Gibson wrote.

Essential baitpunk

theverge.com/2015/2/16/8044457/interstellar-black-hole-simulations-science

>Whether Interstellar was a good movie or not is still up for debate, but what seems certain now is that it led to some good science. Last year, Wired magazine explained how the visual effects team behind the space blockbuster worked with theoretical physicist Kip Thorne to create a new computer simulation to model how light would be dragged into the black hole Gargantua. Now, the calculations underpinning this code have been published in a scientific journal, with astrophysicists saying the software could help them model other celestial objects in the future.
>When the Interstellar team began working on simulations for the film, they realized that current technology wasn't up to scratch. Their visualizations of stars flickered when scaled up to the 23 million-pixel resolution of an IMAX screen. Instead, they had to create an entirely new simulation model, which they named DNGR — or, the Double Negative Gravitational Renderer.
>"To get rid of the flickering and produce realistically smooth pictures for the movie, we changed our code in a manner that has never been done before," said Oliver James, chief scientist at special effects team Double Negative, in a press release. Instead of tracing the paths of individual rays of light, say James, he and his team looked at bundles of light, creating a smoother moving image then ever before seen. This proved especially fruitful for visualizing gravitational lensing — an effect where light is bent around massive objects as it travels through space. It's these visualizations that could help astrophysicists model more cosmic oddities in the future
Now post your LOVE TARS maymay, you faggot.

I'm actually a little insulted that Undiscovered country isnt on there and Abrahms Trek is...Star Trek VI is a great movie and captures the mood of ToS so well. And it's a very different film from WoK to boot so it's not even like you're watching similar movies.

You guys are both retarded.

Hard sci-fi means, essentially, that the show's premise is based on 'actual science' with its own logic - it doesn't have to be accurate. 'Soft' sci-fi has spaceships, time travel, aliens, etc. but they don't necessarily describe how they function - harder sci-fi goes out of its way to explain the science of its world.

So yes, Star Trek is hard sci-fi, even if it does often verge on the silly side.

so star trek is not hard science fiction.

Yes, Star Trek never fucking talks about the science behind its shit - there are never entire episodes about certain pieces of technology and how they function. Trek never ever tells us what makes its ships run or its teleporters work or its windows unshatterable.

We also never ever ever hear about alien biology in Star Trek!

Fucking idiot.

so anything with technobabble is hard science fiction.

Which means galaxy quest belongs in hard science fiction.

No, I'm not talking about technobabble, I'm talking about the technology being explained. The fact that there are technical manuals of Trek ships shows that some thought was put into the show's science.

What a fucking pointless chart.

>star trek
>hard sci-fi

>gog
>space opera

image is way too small, can't see shit

> I'm not talking about technobabble, I'm talking about [technobabble].

wow

and yea this list sucks. why is chris pratt up there with spock, terminator, and neo?

remember when he sent a message through time by plucking "time strings?"

Im glad someone mentions project appleseed

>Not thinking 5th dimensionally

We can't help you if you don't open your mind's eye.

Because it sucked

yeah drifting with your spaceship through a black hole and then going back in time and stuck in your daughter's room (muh tesseract muh extra dimension) is completely scientific.

because they worked with scientists it doesn't make hard science or actual science.

Very odd indeed.
This list sounds like corporate shilling... maybe some disney employee made it to equalize their hot garbage to the same level as classics.

It still a very shitty list this one is superior in every way

>I'll ignore the rest of the movie and focus on this single part cuz i'm a huge faggot
go suck cum through a straw

>I'll ignore important point of plot being bullshit cuz I'm retarded

go suck nolan's dick

>Gravity
>sci-fi

>Gurren Lagann
>Eva
>no Mazinger or Getter
Nice shittaste m/a/nlet

watch Khan and the original show + DS9 and TNG

The spaseships they flew around in operated by pure, unadulterated magic as well. Also the entire concept of the world-ending crisis was total hogwash.