What's your favorite Calvin and Hobbes strip?

What's your favorite Calvin and Hobbes strip?

Other urls found in this thread:

owlcation.com/humanities/The-Dirtiest-Presidential-Campaigns-in-the-History-of-United-States-Politics
twitter.com/AnonBabble

No matter how many times I read it. Still gets a laugh.

WHY IS OUR BABY A RABBIT

The storyline where he cuts his own hair then pretends to be Tracer Bullet to cover it up with a hat.

Cow tools.

Probably something with Rosalyn.

Baby Raccoon

you didn't say funniest

I can't really pick, but the one where Calvin falls asleep reading a book and dreams his parents are aliens from mars, which proceed to try turning him into waffles, and then calvin wakes up and his parents remark on how the couch made a waffle like impression on his skin was one of my favourites.

The one where she plays Calvinball is pretty great.
>HOBBES! SHE'S STUMBLED INTO THE PERIMETER OF WISDOM! RUN!!!

I like this one.
Strips are a visual medium, and ideally a comic artist should be talented enough to tell a story visually.
Looking at this strip, not a word of dialogue needs to be written and you still understand everything going on. You could even argue that the addition of dialogue would take away from the meaning.

...as opposed to something like this.
What the fuck is this. Why do newspaper strip artists not need to be actual artists anymore? Or funny/clever?

Considering how mundane real life is for Calvin when he isn't imagining anything, the arc where he locks Rosalyn out of the house was like a full blown epic to me.
Calvin never went that far again.
This one's great.

This is ripping off Zen Pencils.

Super uncool.

This.

>Darling, I'm home! And I brought a surprise!
>Let's hope it's a divorce!

>Me King of the Jungle! Go find Tiger friend! Live with animals!
>Nice underwear

>What are you doing?! Stop being such a little weirdo!
>Me Wonga-Taa, King of Jungle!
This always made me completely lose my shit when I was a kid.
The fact that Calvin deals with Susie's imagination boring him by abandoning the scene at hand, stripping to his underwear and launching into a completely different scene that he likes better that's such a radical departure from Susie's in mood without missing a beat is complete gold.

I love how the narrative plays out on so many different levels there. It takes one simple joke and turns it into like five punchlines with the last couple panels.

Literally me and my dad when I was a kid.

Apparently some newspapers dropped the strip because they found some of Calvin's fantasies distasteful.
Watterson noted that if you've never once fantasized about blowing up your school, then you were never a kid.

So was there a strip where Rosalyn and Calvin actually had fun together? I've been looking everywhere for it and I'm starting to think I hallucinated it

The fuck is this shit?

The comic timing and that goddamn final panel get me every time.

It's called "Reply All" or something.
I'm assuming the artist hasn't had any formal training. Or any practice. Or experience.

I hadn't read the comics in ages, and I saw it in my local paper.

I think that's the Calvinball series of strips

Perfact family moment.
Cute glassless Dad and hysteric laughing mom.

The whole saga of the mutant killer monster snow goons is fantastic.

"Can't you make a normal snowman for once?"
"I tried"

I teach middle school, and did a comic-related extracurricular club that focused on making comics.

Two sixth-grade boys had this semester-long running arc that involved a demon war inside the school.

perfect*

I like how this is both rude and adorable at the same time

Oh yes, I found it online.

Me too. I really liked the way Watterson drew - well, everything really, but most especially bug-eyed monsters.

I loved that because of Susie and Hobbes' inclusion in Calvin's shenanigans. Usually he has to deal with these things alone, but the fact that he actually has company this time is nice

Might be this one. Calvin gets so much shit for being imaginative, even if he occasionally goes overboard

I swear his answers here were ones I frequently utilized whenever I burped as a kid.

Okay, be honest guys. How many of you made snowmen like this after reading C&H?

I made a bunch of really tiny ones once. The really crazy ones were always beyond me, it took so long just to make a regular ass one I dunno how he kept up the enthusiasm to make up those giant landscapes of them.

No snow where I lived.

It was the last Roselyn story.
I guess it was a nice way to end

The "Boy of Destiny" arch.

>he cuts his own hair

I don't think you really get this comic

Wasn't this the one that really did it for them?

pretty sure calvin's snowmen defy the laws of physics

yup

no way anyone would get away with that after 2001 though

Didn't stop me from making Jabba the snow-hutt and hollowing out part of his interior and mouth so I could light a small fire inside him to simulate hookah fumes.

this one

I was misremembering it.

I always love when Calvin's dad is a smartass. Probably some of the best strips.

I took me the longest time to figure out what each panel was supposed to represent.

I imitated so much stuff Calvin and Hobbes did when I was a kid.

let me in on it then

you are a fag and a liar

>hello dad. Its 3AM. Do you know where I am?
Was always a personal favorite of mine and I didn't even know until recently it was a reference to something.

This is one of the saddest comics for me, I guess because I'm an adult and I still relate to it

They're all euphemisms for being taught boring things. Cows are herded to where the ranchers want them, assembly line of the same thing, hamster running fruitlessly on its wheel, doing hard labor as punishment, feeling like a robot, parroting back information, feeling like a zombie, being put into nice neat holes, and feeling like a fish out of water.

thanks for the explanation user

you can kinda get the jist of it but it makes a ton more sense when it's spelled out like that

That strip where he made the head and hands of a snow ogre peeking over a hill is the only truly ridiculous one. The others would just require time, dedication, and a good hard snow.

Na it happened. It was in the last collection book It's a Magical World. It was also the last story arch with Rosalyn in the series.

tracer bullet story archs.

This one is my personal favorite

Agreed

Holy dumb fuck, Watterson predicted today's SJWs.

less "predicted" and more "you are nostalgic for your childhood because you didn't notice that this kind of person existed back then"

>tfw never had the kind of imagination the Calvin had
I've started making '''creative''' stuff, but it's mostly autistic memes or about le edgy corruption of innocent cartoons.

Well, I did make drawings of caves and battlefields kind of like style when I was young. Those were fun; a friend and I made one last year when we found a free whiteboard in the last year of highschool. Nostalgic af.

It took me 20 years to realize a tracer bullet is a real thing.

The time travel arc and the duplicator arc were great for me.

If I was Calvin I would be buttfucking Hobbes all the time.

He also either predicted the arc of American politics or things have long been this blindly antagonistic in the name of funding the struggle.

No he didn't. This type of person has existed for a very long time.

That's kind of like saying Nicollo Machiavelli predicted major themes in modern politics. It was more observation of timeless ideas than prediction.

>I am 18 years old

Hey, I'm 18 and I'm not that oblivious. He's probably 16.

>Kickstarter.jpg

Okay, how the hell do I become a newspaper comic artist? I'm 100% sure I can at least match this and google a joke to steal every day.

Watterson said he didn't do any more of these because it took too much ink and was costly

>pic related

Still one of my favorites.

It has always been, and always will be.

owlcation.com/humanities/The-Dirtiest-Presidential-Campaigns-in-the-History-of-United-States-Politics

>The Election of 1800 was a rematch of the previous election, in which Adams won a narrow victory in both the popular vote and the Electoral College. Both men were determined to win at all costs, and it showed in the surrogates they sent out to attack the other. Jefferson secretly hired the famed pamphleteer James Callendar, who had previously seriously damaged the reputation of Adams' fellow Federalist Alexander Hamilton, to paint Adams and the Federalist party as a friend to British royalty and Adams as being bent on starting a war with France in order to further an alliance with King George. More to the point, Callender described Adams as a "hideous hermaphroditical character which has neither the force and firmness of a man, nor the gentleness and sensibility of a woman."

>Adams' Federalist surrogates also brought out the proverbial long knives. A Federalist publication described Jefferson as "a mean-spirited, low-lived fellow, the son of a half-breed Indian squaw, sired by a Virginia mulatto father." Allegations were made that he cheated his British creditors, was a supporter of French radicalism and assassinations of the aristocracy, and that he made a habit out of sleeping with his female slaves.

>read first 4 panels
>start playing "Cat's in the Cradle" in my head
;-;
>read the final panel
>realised I was thinking of the Weird Al parody of the song anyway

The last one.

the election of 1800 was nuts

I've seen this strip about a hundred times and I only just realized there's snow on the ground outside. Calvin's a fucking beast.

Any strip where Calvin makes up a ridiculous scenario that keeps getting more ridiculous.

The mundanely drawn page where Calvin is describing a man's commute to work along the Grand Canyon is another good one.

>Watterson predicted Roland Emmerich

Universal Soldier actually came out before that strip

Yeah but UniSol was pretty different from his other films.

He didn't fully blossom into the master of disaster until alter.

The best part is this is the only true thing Calvin's dad ever told him.

Was Watterson a vegetarian?

This one is short and simple but never fails to make me chuckle.

>My face as a kid the first time we learnt that weight doesn't factor into an objects speed when falling from any height

Fuck

You

Maybe the have an endoskeleton made of large branches to support them?

I know, right? Non-kamikaze building destructions are SO two decades ago.