>She's hot

Referring to everything as a graphic novel

vs. threads/power levels

EVERY.
GODDAMN.
TIME.

your trigger is people being right?

>"I'm really enjoying the Trinity comic. The art by Manapul is fantastic."
>"Who'd win in a fight? Them or The Hulk?
>I don't know. I just like the artwork...
>But Marvel is so much better than DC. (Guy never reads comics. Doesn't even watch cartoons. Just seen movies.)

Any kind of console war shit. Just read both and stop pretending like anyone that says positive things about a publisher you don't like is shilling for them

>talking comics with someone who doesn't read them
Why bother? You have Sup Forums for that.

"I didn't want to read this, the writing was bad, the characters were dumb, it was shit, everything was shit, I don't have a single specific complaint."

any time anyone says graphic novel

People only watching a show because of their shitty waifus

I've made that mistake before. In the end it's not worth it.

But then no one would watch or read anything female-lead because it's all objectively shit.

Exception to the rule: Maus ?

>The Sonic Graphic Novel Library

It's not all poorly written.
I find that's only the stuff that depends on sex sells to keep the sales up.

Well, a graphic novel is a specific thing. Maus, for example, is a graphic novel.

A trade is not a graphic novel. A comicbook is not, itself, a graphic novel. Watchmen is not a graphic novel.

In the same way a cookbook or collection of short stories is not considered a novel.

STOP USING THE TERM TO MAKE YOUR HOBBY SOUND SMARTER THAN IT IS.

>It's not all poorly written.
Whatever helps you sleep at night.

>people ask what I'm reading
>Explain the book and why I like it
>They tell me comic books that aren't about superheroes are dumb

nope its a comic

Hey, SquirrelGirl might be an intolerable eyesore with too much nerd humor but if it was SquirrelBoy those deficits wouldn't matter.
I've read much worse "quirky" books that were fan favorites.
Howard the Duck for example:
Nobody ever complained that the art in Howard' was dick-kryptonite.
Nobody complained that it had "too much personality."
This is just a problem of expectations.
Some chick-lead books aren't there for that reason you want them to be.
Just go find the book that's a better fit for you and stop caring about the one that isn't.

user, that's just the truth. all the talented creators are working at big 2 and when they leave to create something at Image, it's mediocre.

You do know that it's still assigned reading in some college courses?
It's won freakin' literary awards.

No, The problem is that females are inherently boring and make for boring stories, even drag the stories with potential down. There's a reason in all good literary works they're secondary characters at best.

Yes, a comic is assigned reading in some college courses. A comic has won literary awards.

:O

>assigned reading in some college courses
>college
I weep for American education. It's barely 5th grade material.

I know how this sounds, but I'm absolutely certain that it's just a problem of not being able to relate to the M.C.

>ME and a couple friends go see Watchmen in theaters.
>Friend gets a phonecall and decides to bail 10 minutes after the attempted rape of silk spectre to answer.
>His girlfriend at the time also follows like a stupid sick puppy and they both miss 30-40 minutes.
>They both come back and it becomes obvious they are obviously uncomfortable with the movie.
>They both keep ducking out at various points every 10-15 minutes, with his girlfriend looking more and more distressed each time.
>They both looked on in shock at the blue penis and said it was needlessly distracting.
>At the end of they movie they both conclude it was boring uninteresting mess of a movie that ultimately provided them with nothing of value.
I fucking hate people who don't watch movies and then have the fucking gall to give their shitty opinion.

I HATE people who do that kind of shit.

When I was still a kid I established a hard rule that nobody who watched any movie with me was even allowed to whisper anything.
That phone shit just will not work.

Something doesn't magically change mediums because it wins awards. Comics are comics

You are my trigger.

I blame you for people using "graphic novel" incorrectly.

If you see people using the term incorrectly, you can helpfully correct them, and they'll learn to use it the right way (to refer to the method of publication, like "floppy" or "trade").

But if you just get triggered by ___ANY___ usage of the term, then the people using it incorrectly are just going to write you off as a lone idiot (since they can see that the rest of the world continues to use the term "graphic novel" despite your protestations), and they will continue to stick with the incorrect usage.

It's all your fault.

Who that tho

There's nothing wrong with enjoying a comic for it's art, especially if the story telling is clean and well paced.

If you want to be so anal about it: comics mean comedy

>shits on comic that they haven't read, but have instead seen a couple of out of context panels posted

Now I damned well know that philosophy about comics is SOMEONE'S big trigger.

>find out about good indie comic through storytimes
>buy trade to support it
>full of ads for other shitty books by the publisher, gutter bleed bad enough to cut off large parts of speech bubbles, shit binding in general
Protip: Action Labs/Danger Zone a shit.

>im literally about to order some action labs trades through my lcs
WELL IM PANICKING NOW

When is it actually appropriate to use the term "graphic novel"?

Full disclosure, I only have experience with Danger Zone and am assuming Action Labs has similar quality due to the former being an imprint of the latter.

>someone asks how to get into comics right now
>provide good jumping on points for current runs
>"Cool thanks, I'll look into it."
>never does

"______ is my favorite character because: [shit they saw in a movie or read about on tumblr]"

Must be a Clintonite

In short: When a comic is not a floppy (the pages aren't stapled together, but instead they are glued together to the spine) and when it's not a trade (the content isn't a republication of previously-published content, but instead it's a publication of brand-new content), then it's probably a graphic novel.

>what im getting is in danger zone as well
Do you mind if i ask what you got? i need to order like 4 trades, and now im just thinking i might order the first one, to see the quality before i get the rest
obviously it probably doesnt vary much title trade to title, but if you are talking about the same thing im getting then thats double danger
im looking for puppet master (and maybe tomboy) btw

"Paperback" and "hardcover" aren't genres so why are you paying so much attention to the physical format?

my powerlevel remains hidden
none of my friends or family knows im into comics and vidya still (they think i stopped like 10 years ago)
its almost like living a double life.

I never said anything about genre.

Since you are an honorable man, I expect you to apologize, and I accept your apology.

>You know Superman can beat Batman right?

Novels are a genre. The term doesn't always denote expected themes or content.

It was Tomboy. I'm just glad I decided to reread it before ordering volume 2. I'll probably try to get the floppies because I still want to own it.

See what I get here is that you probably FORCED him to read it or at least bugged him incessantly about it

thanks for the answer
thats a bit of a bonerkiller, il probably see how much i can get in floppy form, and get as much as i can total, rather than trades then, and just bite the bullet and hope if it comes down to them

> People reading some interview or tweet or blog by a writer and suddenly Spider-Man or Batman or whoever is "a shit character in a shit book" because of something not in any comic.

Seriously, the ads in Danger Zone trades are fucking insane. I'm fine with a few pages at the end in trades like with Vertigo and Marvel (it had better not be in a fucking special edition though). It made me stop reading the Tom Boy trade even though I really liked the actual comic section. 4+ pages of ads after a single issue is not alright.

( assuming facts not in evidence )

Could be worse, I've bought trades that cut content because the double-page layouts wouldn't have lined up without those ads filling pages.

So then don't use it to denote expected themes or content.

You must use "graphic novel" to describe ONLY the physical format of publication.

Otherwise you'll trigger people who think you're being elitist or pretentious.

>so why are you paying so much attention to the physical format?
The physical format only gets "so much" attention because of the people who get triggered any time they see the words "graphic novel" mentioned.

If "graphic novel" wasn't listed as a trigger, then nobody would have asked when it's okay to say it, and thus an explanation would never have been given.

Blame the people who get triggered.

Who has done that? Usually you get a blank page after the cover or in the middle of an issue to allow for double page spreads.

Not necessarily a Sup Forums related trigger but
>person asks "dude whats that you're reading/whats that on your shirt/what are you watching
>tell him what it is and explain it
>"oh, I don't know what that is"
I JUST EXPLAINED IT TO YOU

I guess that blank page trick had to be invented at some point.
My experience was with two different Dark Horse paperbacks and an Image paperback back in the '90s.
They picked the right pages though, if I hadn't have already collected the individual issues I would never have spotted it.

People who regurgitate the tired groupthink about 90s comics being bad.

>Characters are in a mystical setting where everything and anything can happen theoretically. All that happens is a bunch of unimaginiative fights.
>A comic which has a dark story is automatically a deconstruction.
>In a universe full of established characters, rules and so on, a writer pushes their shitty OC and ignores that nobody likes them.
>Characters do some horrible shit within the story, but they are forgiven because... reasons.
>Characters are written out of character to justify the plot moving forward.

And lastly and my biggest trigger of all.
>Issues are wasted with people just shooting shit and not doing anything important at all.

Marvel Essential being scrapped and starting over with Epic Collections or whatever the fuck instead of letting all those titles be collected.
Runs that only get the first part collected in general.
Shitty recolors.
Popular runs that have the first trade cost hundreds of dollars because it's out of print. All the others are at cover price.
And a minor one, when a book has two covers at the same price and they're both of equal quality so I can't decide which to get.

Well that is true in a way that he can just superspeed punch through his chest.

But I can make logical assumptions.

1. Someone who feels heroes are played out would not ASK to borrow a hero book.

2. If he gave it back in 30 minutes then that means he just flipped through it, as if to placate your urges.

3. "It was okay" is a non committal opinion that basically means I don't want to talk about it

4. You made a thread to bitch about your friend not sharing your interest for comics. Right out the gate this tells us that you try to force your views on those around you.

5. Instead of a topical watchmen pick you posted a girl in her underwear in order to get attention.

I know all I need to know about you to figure this shit out. You're an open book.

It's really just America's retarded attitude towards comics.
Also you come off as a complete retard considering that by all metrics (success of graduates, shit done by schools, breadth and scope of education) America has the best Colleges and Unis in the world.

nigga it's assigned in MIDDLE SCHOOL nowadays

A comic of fairly substantial length (let's say 80 pages) containing one narrative released in one book all at once.

never, it's a marketing term to convince people who think comics are for kids that they aren't reading a comic, they're reading a ~*novel*~ so it's ok

No dumbass. If I tell someone something is a movie and it's a 30 second commercial then they'll be confused and possibly mad at me.
Correct denotaion of format matters for communication. Rectification of names, read a book you dumb nigger.

Yea this bugs me. It was a bad time for comics financially so casuals think that means it was creatively as well.

>Frank Miller sucks
>Garth Ennis sucks
>Alex Ross is the best comics artist ever
>STILL no O'Neil Question omnibus

>You're just a Marvel/DC shill

Yep, big companies that could literally lose half their support send certified shitposters to fucking Sup Forums of all places. You can clearly tell they're being paid to express certain opinions because why would anyone say a movie that has a 27% on Rotten Tomatoes is bad. Perhaps if I call the movie kino, those pesky shills will realize that my argument CAN be based entirely on buzz words.

Fuck these people that are so far removed from this reality. I know this is more of a Sup Forums thing, but still, fuck them.

>Yep, big companies that could literally lose half their support
Moviefag detected. If either of the big two lost half of their support that would be about 15-20% of the entire comic industry's sales going up in smoke, which would be disastrous.

>platinum mad

>The problem is that females are inherently boring and make for boring stories
I think I found the cause of most your problems.

nobody ever complained about the art in Howard because the art in Howard was actually pretty good

Honestly I'd prefer mediocre writing and good art than good writing with mediocre art in a comic.

But were all those picks of a half-naked Howard DICK KRYPTONITE?

bad art is more salvageable by good writing than bad writing by good art

I don't jerk it to ducks so I wouldn't know

>"It's different in the comics"
>or just "in the comics"

Source material wank is dumb.

I'm an art guy. Comic writing good or bad... I rather not have comics with ugly art on my shelf. It's not like there's a huge difference in writing anyway... if were talking about the big 2, superhero stories are always similar. Colorful costumes, hero vs villain, some action, drama, etc. The end.

I mean, what's ugly here? Stuff like Frank Miller or stuff like Greg Land?

>Issues are wasted with people just shooting shit and not doing anything important at all.

It can be good, depending on the medium. In movie or theater it has been done to great effect. But you can't be Tarantino in a floppy. You get no prizes for Waiting For Doom.

>30 minutes later

Your friend might be a master troll

Well she did meet Chipmunk Hunk...

But yeah I love me some Doreen Green

>Dark comic dealing with adult themes and uncomfortable situations
>swearing is censored
What the fuck? They will show any amount of physical pain and turmoil, possibly nudity, but they edit swearing? The Rebirth Hellblazer is an obvious example. John is supposed to be one of the most sweariest people in comics and yet they put £#%& in place of actual words.

50 shades of gray is a novel.
Novel rfers to the format and structure of writing and publication, not to its quality.

Art is subjective. Greg Land is the best artist.

Ok, that shit pisses me off. What's even worse is when they flip flop on it, like one issue or mini will have instances of swearing censored with a jumble of symbols or dashes, and then in the next issue or mini you'll get the full blast of profanity. Chaos! Comics did this a few times.

This, and Jessica Jones being censored triggers me too. It actually damages the story too, completely wrecks the immersion.

>All gritty adult comics are 90s X-Treme grimdark edgy bullshit
>All charming all-ages comics are preschool babby bullshit
>All comics are superhero bullshit
>Why doesn't Batman kill the Joker?

When I meant by that is that we don't get any great insights into the minds of the characters. We just get same old. Imagine the laying on the grass thing that Bendis had the O5 doing quite a lot.

>people read watchmen
>all they get out of it is "Yeah superheroes wont work in the real world"

>I fucking hate people who don't watch movies and then have the fucking gall to give their shitty opinion.
Then why are you here?