The incompetence of the American military

>The incompetence of the American military
>Blind Japanese samurai and a Japanese otaku 2chan poster
>Stupid concepts like quislings and feral children
>Rich people now shovel poo and poor people now run society (cause all rich people are useless and never earned their way and all poor people aren't lazy and on welfare)
>Israel is best rael
>Is North Korea in a tunnel just hiding out or are they all zombies???????? It's like some kinda Schrodinger's cat of asians, so cool!
>"Muh dogs even though I hated them but now I attack people that do and now I'm in a special K9 unit durrrrrrr"
>For some reason only this random African guy has ONE CRAZY PLAN that will save us and nobody else could ever come up with such a brilliant strategy
>Every character is unrealistically descriptive for "interviews", like it's some lonely Jewish hack writing a shitty fiction book that'll be gobbled up by Americans
>DUDE I'M GUARDING RICH CELEBRITIES AND BILL MAHER AND ANNE COULTER ARE HAVING SEX ON THE BEACH LMAO

Oh no, how dare... HOW DARE Brad Pitt ruin such a *snicker* "classic" book - Max Brooks' salient and cutting satire of modern society that still rings true today - how dare he.

Truly, zombie genre fiction has peaked with this tome

Are you okay user?

Forced meme. I clapped.

>sheldon walks onto set
>crowd roars with laughter
>bazinga
>sheldon would u like to watch star trek?
>"oh u mean celestial voyage?"
>sheldon im talking about sci fi stuff
>audience laughs
>sneed

Always enjoyed this al dente pasta

it was a fun book and would have been a dope miniseries if it followed the book to the letter.

also

>do world war z movie
>no battle of yonkers

Pretty SAD nigga

>Do a WWZ movie
>Miss out all the dehumanising shit such as the family that have to resort to cannibalism in the cold north.

None of those concepts are truly that bad.

What's your issue here?

I'm just salty that Matthew Fox was in this movie for literally milliseconds.

eh its a conversation starter and is fairly consistent for such a world spanning story, sorry you so but hurt that you can't do something better then this.

I couldn't get into this book and gave up after a few pages, is it worth the read?

>Rich people now shovel poo and poor people now run society.

Honestly guys, is that real?. I know OP maybe is over simplifying for lulz but that is beyond retarded.

>None of those concepts are truly that bad.
>Blind Japanese samurai and a Japanese otaku 2chan poster
>DUDE I'M GUARDING RICH CELEBRITIES AND BILL MAHER AND ANNE COULTER ARE HAVING SEX ON THE BEACH LMAO
While most situations in the book aren't that bad on their own, a few stick out as just incredibly dumb. Also, Max Brooks having terrible prose does nothing to help matters.

No, it's got a decent premise but it fucks up the execution.
It's exaggerated a bit, but accurate. They have a sextion where they talk about people in the safe zones that were lawyers or had other office jobs in the past had to be retrained for manual labor. I don't remember if previously blue collar types were placed in executive positions or not, I only read the book years ago.

That's such a cliche

>tfw I didn't know who these people were so just assumed they were characters

Damn it's been a long time since I've seen this pasta

Book is 3/10 at best, but keep in mind the people who think it's good are the same people who think that Ready Player One is a masterpiece.

Only interesting concept is Battle of Yonkers type shit.

No its probably the worst book I've ever read. It reads like a satire of how Americans view the rest of the world but its real.

"No!"

glad to see this back and also hope to see it on /tg/, /his/ and /k/

The stories from before the collapse, where people didn't really know what was going on or what the virus was are good. The stories after the collapse with different people in wildly different circumstances trying to survive are also pretty good.

The collapse itself and the hamfisted political messages are completely fucking retarded.

I forgot the name of the series exactly, I think it was day by day Armageddon? Was pretty good, superior book and series. There was another by Z A recht I think the authors name was? Not as good, but better than wwz

The book isn't high literature, it's a fun page turner. It succeeds at that.

The movie isn't fun.

I thought Book 3 was kinda shit

I think OP's referring to the part where the US military set up little communities like towns inside safe zones, and within those communities everyone was given jobs. People with practical knowledge would obviously do what they know best, but there was very little need for talent agents or tax lawyers etc. so most white collar workers were either retrained or given the most basic manual labor.

So yes and no. In the context of the book it doesn't seem as bad as OP made it sound like, because it does make some sense.

For day by day Armageddon yeah, it was. Poor guy never thought the first one would be well received, and by the third book he was just out of material. To be fair, the author isn't a writer, iirc he was just some board private or sailor and the 3rd book suffered from him actually being deployed. Although I may be confusing him with ZA Recht.

>I don't remember if previously blue collar types were placed in executive positions or not
They weren't explicitly, but they could keep doing their jobs. Like an electrician could become the man in charge of power delivery while the lawyer with no applicable skills would be assigned to carrying boxes so social statuses did shift.

I've seen this dozens of times and this is the first time I ever actually read it all the way through. I honestly thought it was someone sperging out about how much they LIKED the book. Live and learn.

It's no masterpiece but it's a fun popcorn read, almost the SG1 of zombie fiction. Too bad the genre didn't keep moving forward and instead entered stagnation.

How is it retarded? Executive positions are completely obliterated. It's an economy supported completely by manual labor. Hell, America is already facing that crisis now, where everyone is getting into debt earning a bachelor's degree, but there are no jobs because white collars are essentially useless, but we're starving for old fashion tradesmen. Plumbers, mechanics, electricians and contractor businesses are overwhelmed with the amount of work they have, meanwhile, companies are creating fake, redundant desk jobs like "assistant executive co-resource manager" to give entitled college grads things to do. Business treat desk jockeys like shit because they're so fucking expendable, but trades are dying to hire even half decent workers because they're so sparse.

This was the truest red pill. I've got a 4 year in IT and communications from time in the army and I make bank in warehouses. Mainly because I don't want to cut my teeth as an underpaid intern for 10 years like EVERY company wants, but fuck it. I'll take the 25 an hour now and just get certs for journeyman welder. Bunch of online school wasted but oh well, it was free.

I think most people are very aware that getting a college education isn't the way to go if you want to make a fast buck.

They'd just rather sit in an office and use their brain to work instead of welding pipes or some shit that a robot could do if a human wasn't cheaper.

To be fair, welding is at least one of those things that can never be fully automated, partly because a machine would lack the awareness, or, a machine with the awareness to do a clean weld would never weld enough shit to pay for itself. That's why welders demand like 40 bucks an hour.

I'm sure there's an art to welding as there is to plenty of these manual professions and why they're being paid so well, but a lot of people including myself would rather spend 40 hours a week feeling like they're being challenged intellectually or making decisions with impact and having to use their problem solving skills instead of you know, welding.

OK, so that description doesn't really fit with most professions, what exactly are you driving at? Welding is a crap job but some people find joy somewhere between the art wave the pay, what job is going to pay you well, give you a work/life balance, and gee intellectually stimulating like you describe? I really hope you have a good answer while implying blue collar work is beneath you.

>so that description doesn't really fit with most professions, what exactly are you driving at?
There are professions at practically any office that do fit that definition though, and you're never going to get there if you choose to become a welder. People don't go to college for the first job they get out of college.

I'm going to need you to rephrase that other question. And yes, blue collar work is DEFINITELY beneath me. I'd honestly much rather be unemployed than work in manual labor again, and I'm not fat or out of shape or anything like that. I've never experienced anything as depressing as manual labor and I haven't even had the worse jobs. Just regular construction and logistics etc. Just doing small repeating tasks because you're told to. It's no way to live.

OK so you're not going to list any jobs outside of esoteric "office work." No fields, even? Not even your own job? I definitely get the feeling that when you think "manual labor" you think FedEx or any job where you have to slave away where the better definition for manual labor is any job you do by hand, ie, carpentry, masonry, or WELDING. But really, just give me the dream jobs that fit your idealistic expectations. Because like I said, I've already got my bachelor's in IT/communications and it pays less than what I get running machinery in a warehouse. Not only that, but the hours and work/life balance far exceed anything you find in an office. But, school me on it, ball is in your court.

It's an easy read and pretty fun. Cool to see someone consider aspects of the zombie apocalypse like what film makers, submarine captains, and rich assholes in Antarctica would be doing.

Those books were awesome (at least at first).
Which one ends with him just kind of in a shelter out somewhere with some lady and dog (?) or something like that? Probably butchering what happened but I really don't remember.

Yonkers, Russia, the French sewers, and Raj-Singh were high points.

I think that's book two. Pretty sure. Book one I think ended with a plane crash?

I love this book but I wonder if it's just because I'm from Yonkers and it was one of the only times I've seen my nothing city in media.
Was cool living a few streets over from where the military got their shit pushed in because they were all retarded.

I don't remember a plane crash at all, most of my memories consist of him exploring like military bunkers or something like that and shooting the guy who wrote "If you can read this please kill me" on his shirt.
I should go back to those books.

How are they retarded? They fought a battle against a supernatural enemy using every doctrine and tactic at their disposal with next to zero Intel. Of course they lost the fight, anyone would lose that fight. In the real world though you can expect pretty much anyone to do 5 minutes of recon and figure out that how to kill the enemy, people were written really dumb to make this book work.

It really has aged like milk

They were retarded for having barely any damn ammo when they were fighting the main runoff of zombies from fucking NYC.
I like the book but they he really had to make the army seem idiotic for the zombies to be the threat they needed to be.

Well I'm not American so we don't have the concept of unpaid overtime. I spend 35 hours a week at the office. But I think I get your question now
> what job is going to pay you well, give you a work/life balance, and gee intellectually stimulating like you describe?
Basically any job above assistant in the field that the person finds interesting? Any job where you have responsibility, can make decision on your own and feel like they have impact? They're literally on every field that can be worked from an office so I don't understand what you're finding so hard to imagine.
> I definitely get the feeling that when you think "manual labor" you think FedEx or any job where you have to slave away where the better definition for manual labor is any job you do by hand, ie, carpentry, masonry, or WELDING
I understand the difference. It's not about the working conditions or hours, but not having responsibility and freedom. I admit I know little about welding, but I assume you're just tasked with welds you have to do and then you weld? I can't imagine doing that for 8 hours, let alone 40 years.

I already know I dislike you as a person since you said "gee" before intellectually stimulating like that's some fancy city folk thing, but for most people who didn't drop out of high school it's pretty much a requirement and a deal breaker if their job isn't intellectually stimulating. Most people dread not having any say in matters or feeling like they aren't challenged. Those people don't want to weld all day every day, no matter what the pay.

Its probably been a decade since I read it, but I seem to recall a bunch of bullshit about tanks getting bogged down in corpses (there is no part of the human body that could realistically obstruct with an M1A1 drive train) and artillery being totally ineffective because shrapnel wouldn't kill them (105mm shells have a "liquefy" zone of 100 ft, frag be damned; there wouldn't be anything of them left.). There was other stuff but its been too long.

The 3rd book was pretty shit with the aliens and stuff but the 4th book makes up for it, I just pretend the 3rd book does not exist.Also another good zombie series like those is called Arisen but after the 3rd book it drops off real hard.

Not him but judging by the context it sounded like he meant to type "be" rather than "gee".

>I spend 35 hours a week at the office

The fuck? 30 hours/week is part time where i live. Are you in sweden or somewhere

Yea I'm misspelling things because I'm drinking and shitposting from my phone so screw off with your "gee" thing. And I'm not taking shit from some retard euro with 0 life experience who STILL can't list a single profession, just the IDEA of a profession. Every job gives you responsibility to act and think on your own and make an impact, unless you're some Uzbekistani living in a commie bloc apparently.

You have no clue what it's like to work in an office because you can't name a single job in an office and you have no idea what manual labor is because you can't come up with an accurate description of the jobs you dislike and fear so much, so what DO you do?

>Any job where you have responsibility, can make decision on your own and feel like they have impact?

Impact in what sense? Changing the world impact, or impact on a meaningless little project?

What do you do for a living anyway?

>>Stupid concepts like quislings and feral children
I don't understand this one at all, I can see how a quisling seems silly but why the hell wouldn't there be feral children in a situation like this where all order broke down? There's already feral homeless people today

White collar workers aren't useless and there are tons of jobs. Amazon employs more people than Wal Mart. They're literally paying international workers to move here to fill jobs.

Trades are valuable, thriving, and I definitely think here in the US we should teach that to kids at a young age instead of just telling them they all need to mindlessly flock to colleges. But white collar jobs being dead is a meme

Correction, Amazon does not employ more people than Wal Mart, not even close.

They employ more people in my particular region, I think is why I was mistaken there. And my region is their corporate headquarters, not just blue collar warehouse workers

>DUDE I'M GUARDING RICH CELEBRITIES AND __ ____ AND __ ____ ARE HAVING SEX ON THE BEACH LMAO

Who are the modern equivalents?

Me and Gillian Anderson

John Boyega and Jennifer Lawrence

>challenged intellectually
>making decisions with impact
Ask me how I know you're not in the workforce

How do you know he's not in the workforce

Because you will never have both of those things in a 40 hour a week office job

Based realism poster

Is there any other country tgat could survive as well as America in this situation?

China would be fucked up really badly, as would India. This is not meant to be a nationalistic post or some such BS, just curious what others think.

America is the only developed nation that has a lot of guns, vast open spaces, both inhospitable elements and plentiful harvest, and natural fortifications

Canada is basically just as good too

Zeds are dumb and slow, if you can't figure out how to melee one to death then your people aren't meant to survive, you don't need guns. Other places SHOULD do fine.

Hot dry weather is the worst place to be around zombies

The military got their shit pushed in because Max Brooks doesn't know anything about military tactics, doctrine, and weaponry.

True but that brings to mind the middle east and south Africa, places abundant in guns. And Australia, but most Australians might consider zed an improvement.

Even Argentina? They're so stupid though.

he also wrote a series where spy agency sets off a SUPER VIRUS that basically sets us to the maybe 50's tech with a few bits of modern stuff working. cue civil war.

This book is the written form of a bad zombie flick that's funny because of how bad it is.

No one cares that it isn't faithful, its just ridiculous to say the movie has anything to do with the book at all.

You forgot about making the zombies completely immune to physics. The all the ordinance described at the Battle of Yankers was more than enough to reduce the Zs to slurry
>The rogue Chinese Nuke sub was a nice little idea though.

No

>You forgot about making the zombies completely immune to physics.
You mean like all other zombie fiction?

This. Theres even some israel shilling thrown in there

Stand up and clap mother fucker.

>man writes book, local user offended. More news at 4.

The Battle of Yonkers is prime memeshit. Fuck off lol.

I suck lads off in alleys for fifty bucks a pop.

>ITT tradey drumpftards

the book was bad and the movie was worse

you can spot the redditors by the people that liked either

I remember liking how some of the smaller parts seemed to tie together later, like the zombie that froze pursuing someone, that was later found somewhere else and dethawed.

The Romans dealing with zombies without too much trouble was neat too

David Lynch is going to direct WWZ2

the roman part was in the zombie survival guide not WWZ I'm pretty sure
I liked the gang members who teamed up to fight off the zombies but all ended up getting killed in prison

Tanks part was more about them not being efficient anti zoombi weapons
A common complaint about the book was the fact that a 105 mm shell would liquefy the brain of any animal on earth, but Max says it doesn't count because it doesn't get headshots.
Apologists say it's ok because he has a line about scientists not understanding how zoombis work even 20 years later.

NK either survived with barely any casualties or starved to death

You're absolutely right user. The book has some redeeming qualities but overall its pretty shit, dunno how it got to be such a massive hit

>>For some reason only this random African guy has ONE CRAZY PLAN that will save us and nobody else could ever come up with such a brilliant strategy
Random my ass. The Redeker plan was based on real shit. Apartheid politicians actually had plans like that into place.

>gang members
Was that in the book because I didnt see it in the WWZ film

it was in the zombie survival guide book
most of the stuff from WWZ book wasn't in the film

You are without a doubt the first person to mention or even think about this movie in 2017

sounds like a typical office drone
>intellectually stimulating
stop kidding yourself, if an engineer gave you a chunk of metal, a blue print and said "make this accurate to .005in" your brain would melt

my favorite pasta of all time

It's nowhere near Harry Potter or Arnold in True Lies

The book is only kinda interesting because of how it "documents" the entire zombie crisis, from the breakout to recovery.
The movie just decided to ignore that one aspect, and became a generic zombiefest.

The best scene of the movie is the plane scene. The way the situation got out of hand quick, in such a claustrophobic environment was great.
The scene where he's stuck in a city with his kids could have been good, but then they had that stupid toy thing having to count for the audience how long it takes for a zombie to turn. And screaming kids are always annoying.
Everything else was just too stupid, like the zombies piling up to climb over the wall, and the idea that zombies just ignore all sick people.
Its also insulting how they try to imply that "the fight isn't over yet", when Brad Pitt just pulled a zombie repellent out of his ass.

I talked to max at comic con and he honestly was like "meh as a zombie movie it was okay". He really didnt hate the movie.

dullest franchise is shit

>The incompetence of the American military

that fucking kills me every time

shouldn't that be the best? them dead fucks will desiccate before a few months of wandering in the desert heat