How's Your Webcomic? #326

Making webcomics is part of this complete breakfast! Why don't you tell us about yours?
Previous bread:

Other urls found in this thread:

myscriptfont.com/
artists.pixelovely.com/practice-tools/figure-drawing/
quickposes.com/pages/timed
senshistock.deviantart.com/gallery/
shutterstock.com/
pinterest.com/characterdesigh/
tumblr.com/theme/39018
pastebin.com/kNR2W5mV
docs.google.com/document/d/1uwfOSHXfrgvcf--PkPz9jXL6p5RqIsrYvXYwgQpgT3k/edit#
youtube.com/watch?v=5xPvvPTQaMI
courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_1.pdf
courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_2.pdf
courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_3.pdf
chrisoatley.com/category/podcasts/
web.archive.org/web/20140625035030/http://paperwingspodcast.com/
blambot.com/
cienciasecognicao.org/rotas/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Robert-McKee-Story.pdf
miss-melee.tumblr.com/post/143483233951/
mediafire.com/folder/9pf1nwwa92lbp/Comics_for_making_Comics
monster-lands.com/
tapastic.com/series/Baphomet-Chan-is-Cute
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Scrub Authors GOODIE Bag
Here’s a short list of sites that any new webcomic artist or writer will find handy:
>*-Struggling to find that perfect FONT? Create your own using this link;
myscriptfont.com/

>*-Don’t forget to brush up on that ANATOMY:
artists.pixelovely.com/practice-tools/figure-drawing/
quickposes.com/pages/timed

>*-What’s a list without some reference STOCK IMAGES?
People: senshistock.deviantart.com/gallery/
Scenery: shutterstock.com/

>*-Here's a big fat compilation of CHARACTER DESIGN REFERENCE:
pinterest.com/characterdesigh/ (surprisingly not a typo)

>Links to get a rough WEBSITE started up:
Easy to use tumblr webcomic theme: tumblr.com/theme/39018
Do’s and Don’ts for starting a site: pastebin.com/kNR2W5mV
>Contact sheet if anyone wants to put information down, like their site and webcomic:
docs.google.com/document/d/1uwfOSHXfrgvcf--PkPz9jXL6p5RqIsrYvXYwgQpgT3k/edit#

>DISCORD CHAT going on,
Ask for an invite in the thread.

>Wise words from John Cleese:
youtube.com/watch?v=5xPvvPTQaMI

>Invisible Ink:
courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_1.pdf
courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_2.pdf
courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_3.pdf

>Paper Wings
chrisoatley.com/category/podcasts/
web.archive.org/web/20140625035030/http://paperwingspodcast.com/

>Fonts for your webcomic on Blambot:
blambot.com/

>Writing Resources:
cienciasecognicao.org/rotas/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Robert-McKee-Story.pdf

>Guide to promoting your comic:
miss-melee.tumblr.com/post/143483233951/

>Comics for makin' comics!
mediafire.com/folder/9pf1nwwa92lbp/Comics_for_making_Comics

>not "rockthisway.gif"
cmon stoney

New Greg and Goldies

i love when this kind of thing can be analyzed in fiction
someone needs to do it with aliens sometimes. closest we got was that Paul movie

bump

Faces.

Wondering if I should do an MMO parody series with my already established characters or think up of new ones.

This is what the main character would look like.

Might as well post my graphic novel idea I've been developing. Zartch (working title) is the first graphic novel of a series that I hope to make. It's gonna have a comedic tone to it, aimed for a young audience but I wanna write it so it can be enjoyed by anybody.

The stories center on a group of of middle school students who happen to share an odd quirky trait to them, either physically or mentally. The group of Misfits include: Zartch, Lizcent, Alxord, JoseTemp, Eldordair, Franzy, Slotchka, and Dannadee. They live in Nincome Central, a city of almost near perfection. Near perfection because Zartch and the gang either cause some crazy situation or somehow attract a situation way out of their hands and somehow make it worse. Either in school, at the beach, the mall, or downtown, the gang is definitely gonna be caught up in the middle of something.

not gonna lie to you
that's a fantastic main character for a shounen parody. not sure about MMOs. Don't know much about em

So last time I was wondering if I should make my main goblin character male or female, I decided female and I have a design for her. Naming however is a terribly difficult process

Spice up the body types. They all look exactly the same. Silhouettes are important, and yours are almost indistinguishable outside of hairstyles.

generally helps if you post smaller pics, my good man

My bad I took a picture of it with my phone, it takes large files

Not how I expected her to look, but might work in kind of a fun Boozle kinda way
you could name her Guppy or something

Almost missed my yearly November 13th update, but here it is~

Im doing a science fantasy thing, what should i name the cyborg childs pet griffin?

Dewd why are you thinking of starting a new comic when the main complaint that everyone has about your current comics is that you don't put enough effort into them?

Not sure if you saw it in the last thread, so reposting.
>All these characters feel like they're about to fall over because of their enormous heads jutting out behind them. It's especially pronounced with the ones you've drawn leaning back, like Lizcent, Alxord and Slotchka.

>With real heads, there's a lot more head in front of the neck than there is behind it, but with yours, it's very much the opposite, and the huge heads make it even worse.

Wrench!

Ok, more designs, These guys are dudes who are trying to stop hackers from hacking the game.

Eh, I was think of it more as an animated series in the future... But I have no idea where else I could post these and get good feed back.

I still miss The Day People

I might continue that some day, but I got collage now, and I kind of overwhelmed my self with the story and got too worried that I would mess it up, so I just saved it for later and put it on the back burner.

I'm just feeling like working on other stuff now that I'm almost done with season 1 of West Tree gag show.

I like these two.

Jojo guy and black Kallen?

Please put more effort into your character designs than just "simplified Jotaro from Jojo with a shorter coat".

I don't know who Kallen is, but yeah, the dude is a parody of the Jojo gut.
Nah dood, it's a parody of him.

He doesn't look like a parody, he looks like a rip-off. You haven't exaggerated any of his features at all.

Don't try with Dewd. He lives in a world of Sonic OC-tier "parody" designs and a mouth more used for sipping out the cum of men from a fat girl's vagoo than used to say anything of comedic value.

Spare yourself the trauma of acknowledging the existence of this human shrapnel.

Hmmm, I know how important body types are and yeah my characters do seem to be pretty much the same body, but I think I've designed distinguished them well enough.

>Silhouettes are important, and yours are almost indistinguishable outside of hairstyles.

I tried it out in the pic attached and they seem pretty different. Besides the hairstyles, each character has different clothing, accessories, and height to distinct one another.

Look I'm not trying avoid your criticism, I really do appreciate it. I do think that body structures do help distinguish characters a whole lot. Though, I can't be the only one to be guilty of this. I can name a handful of cartoons and comic book characters that share a similar body structure.

Maybe I will change their body structure as I develop the story. Take in mind that these characters are all 12 years old, haven't even reached puberty so that leaves a door open for some development.

Again, thank you for the suggestion. I'll definitely keep it in mind and even try out, just not at the moment. Thank you.

Don't worry, it'll be more apparent in action.

new baph-chan today beginning to start a story line I guess?

I like this. Here, quick fanart for you :^)

Thanks man, I appreciate it.

I have to wonder if the entire rest of the school is human.

that is a pretty big stretch on the girl.
also i'm pretty sure there's a difference between a cop outfit and a village people cop outfit

My poses are getting boring again
can anyone with a passing familiarity with my characters suggest a pose? Something they never see them doing, and would like to.

it's a mystery! I'm slowly developing it into something muchter (I hope) for people to read, buy into the world more and basically make it more fun for me to draw.

I understood that word from context!
also I like your style.

Ok last one. A very determined girl.

I don't know about the girl, but find ONE other character in all of fiction with a hat that blends with their hair like that.

Since we're on the topic of Jojo, just google "Jojo pose" and go nuts.

Aww thanks man. I mean I'm trash as I don't draw/practice as much as I really should (the change of direction should hopefully help remedy that) but it's always encouraging when people compliment my stuff. It makes me want to do more for them and not let them down.

I think your stuff is pretty adorable. Do you have anywhere else you post I googled baph-chan but didn't see anything.

a dragon girl is always welcome. I like that outfit. is that inspired by something or did you come up with it?
does jojo's hair really do that? wow

Google "Baphomet chan is cute" the web comic on Taptastic should be the first hit. I always think my sketches are better than my finals so I dunno if you want to go looking...

woof, I tried. the poses look to be a buncha nonsense covered by a bunch of wild colors and loose clothing. Can't make heads or tails of it.
Probably why my poses suck

It's been in the back of my mind for a long time, forgot if it was inspired by something or not, but I have a strange feeling that it was probably something green.

Also yes, Jotaro's hair really does that, that's why I did it, because as previously mentioned, he's a parody.

Don't give up so easily, man. You can do it!

I don't read JoJo and couldn't distinguish between your parody and the original. If someone with passing knowledge of the series can't distinguish between the two, it's not a parody anymore, it's a veiled cameo at best and a ripoff at worst.

That pose makes my arm hurt

I don't know how I could possible make it anymore obvious dood.

But don't you find it fabulous?
I remember the time I Jojo pose'd one of my popularity charts.
Maybe I should do this again with the current design.

A parody has a reason to be. What's your character supposedly to parody from Jotaro? his looks only? For what purpose? His personality? In which way?
When people makes that stupid, not funny parody of you Yanks being all fat and on one of those carting-like things, their purpose is to mock a supposed style of life that is unhealthy and laughable.
You just don't copy the looks and call it a day.

Well, I've notice that every MMO series I've seen always has that one character that's dark and brooding, and Jojo is in right now so I just did that.

I love it everything about it is incredibly cute.
I attempted to doodle Baph I had the urge to after going thru it all.
Also you were so close to satanic trips with that post.

Actually have a better version that came out kind of shit.

best bump

monster-lands.com/

Othera has kind of given up on killing evil monsters. What's Monster Lands gonna be called now? Boring Lands?

an interesting twist for sure
her axe looks.. kinda wooden

Before I go any further..Is my style hard on the eyes?

Yeah, I gotta change up my texture lines. I also realized there was a lettering error on panel 2 so that's getting fixed.

it's a little inconsistent how some areas have a million lines, some have a few lines, and some have one line. i can look past scritchiness but you've gotta even it out

is that a spilled bowl of cereal in the back or what

daily progress
drawing pedestrians in the mid and lower panels are going to be a huge choir, I can feel it

all goblins have sparce hair up top. it might be kind of weird, but goblins are generally "ugly" to most other races. I tried to make it look semi good looking though.

you can make them a mass of silhouettes if you want. then maybe just put in the faces, let their hair and clothes blur together
okay but, the females having more hair than the males? that isnt how that works..

I could try that, I don't want it to look too lazy though

>females having more hair than males
>not how it works
What did he mean by this?

You'd be amazed how little attention people pay to backgroundfolks
if nothing else you could make them very simple masses of cloaks, faces, basic facial details, and a little bit of a gap between the cloak, without even the need for outlines

hair is for males. you wouldnt draw some kind of horned troll and give the females larger horns would you?

I'll give it a shot, hopefully I can make it look not lasercheese-like

bozhe moi, i just looked that up. a hearty chuckle was had.

need an onomatopoiea for a sudden sharp intake of breath.

HIP or HEHP or HWWP or even just HHP

You are thinking about "hair" as in "hairstyle", females adorn longer hair in our culture, but males are hairier in general. A good, clear example in nature is lions.

Then again, why are you assuming the male goblin didn't simply cut his hair?

>our culture
maybe yours. why would goblins have something like that?

what

under what conceivable circumstances would goblin culture develop to a stage where males emasculate themselves of their primary head display in order to look clean/young/feminized

what if* he doesn't forgive me

im not sure if sal's reaction in panel 3 really fits her dialogue

or rather, i feel like there should be another panel following panel 3 with sal making a more comforting face

your shading's gotten a lot better since you started, keep it up

that short hair qt... muh heart...
got blog or something?

this is one of the page ire been working on for a competition, its a one shot silent comic in greyscale tone, feedback and critic is hugely welcome

you're aware of tapastic.com/series/Baphomet-Chan-is-Cute right?

nope, this is the first time ire heard of it

it's spooky for sure. even dolls don't deserve that. kinda confused about what's going on though, but it's just one page.

If humans developed a culture where short hair is viewed as manlier, why couldn't goblins, another sentient race, follow the same trend?

oh i forgot to explain about the story, its about a girl trying to overcome her fear of the unknown at night, this one is page1, it needs a little more fixing

it was an unlikely enough thing to occur in our case, and it's certainly not viewed as manly. on the contrary, manliness is viewed as undesired, unprofessional, unclean. Can't imagine goblins being that uptight or neatness-oriented.

well that makes a lot of sense
so she's not a doll then. her hair, the shape of her body and dress, and particularly the nose at the bottom of the last page, gave me that feeling somehow.

Haha that's pretty cute man. Keep it up.

haha yeah ire actually design her to look like a doll, mostly i'd refer the design in Tomorrow Children game and Over the Garden wall's comic

If long hair is still viewed as manly, and men cut their hair because manliness is undesired, why do women grow their hair long?

Welp, time to see if I can be a cool guy and finish this page today and also upload the right image in my post.

Finally got rid of those but ugly borders good on ya mate! But you could fill up more of the page you know

Than ks for the vix. I'm working on it now.
As for Selena, she's having mixed feelings about this. She doesn't give a damn about Johnny, but on the other hand, she does give a lot of damns for Leslie. At the same time, Selena warned Leslie this would happen before, and Leslie still choose to not interfere, so she internally basking in it as well.
I think I made her left eye unintentionally kinda twitch, tho.

God, I love this level of detail. Nice work.

Wait, why not make a barbarian parody, then? Considering the setting, everyone would have an easier time picking on it than Jotaro. Which is huge, but that's rarely seen as a character trait..

Yeah, I can see where you're coming from. I guess why they look like this is because I drew somewhat bigger than I'm used to. Also I feel like the head is the most important thing of a character as it has the face and hosts the expressions.

I'll definitely try to fix the whole big head in future works.

Looks like you lost the thread image OP,
here's a copy. keep an eye on it for me.

Bwop

also this one, that never got used.

>Criticism that, aside from hair, characters aren't distinguishable.
>Posts pic to refute this...where only the outline of the head is different in any meaningful way.

I'd break down why this is a problem and how even small children can be distinct, but you said you're taking this to a publisher instead of putting it out on your own, yeah? Unless you dawdle for a few years, you'll see how this goes down soon enough.

It's no more of a stretch than his Lord Hater.