Anyone here read golden age comics? I just started; ive read the first two issues of Police Comics...

anyone here read golden age comics? I just started; ive read the first two issues of Police Comics. im a noob to comics in general but already I like it more than the other comics ive read, stuff like the dark knight returns or alan moore's comics.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_Age_of_Comic_Books
twitter.com/AnonBabble

You user bring a smile to my face. Enjoying the books from era intending to use superheroes to bring joy to faces of people smitten with WWII instead on the depressed ramblings of men who had to force the darkness of the real world on comics because they lack true imagination. Alan Moore and Frank Miller are my two most disposed writers and in my opinion brought nothing good.

I've only read a llittle of Plastic Man but if you enjoy him then read Captain Marvel for sure.

>Moore and Millar started darker comics and deconstruction meme

>he doesn't like Miller's Daredevil run
you're missing out user

plastic man, captain marvel and spirit are good
the rest are shit

Oh boy, missing out on Karen being needlessly turned into a drugged out prostitute and Daredevil being emotionally tortured. No thank you, I'll read some Daredevil vs Stiltman books instead..

>reading about men in tights using violence to solve problems

>Le Golden Age is all happy funtimes meme

NAMOR MURDERED HUNDREDS OF INNOCENT PEOPLE

>implying violence doesnt solve all problems

Well Plastic Man is one of the best and most enjoyable comics of all time.

Golden Age is way better than most people think. Especially pre-war some like Batman pre-Robin and Green Lantern were written with adults in mind and took inspiration from crime thrillers and pulp novels.

Bill Finger's Batman stuff is top fucking notch. There are some things you gotta get used to because comics at the time were approached as "novels with pictures" instead of "movies without moving" like they are today, but once you do get used to them there's a treasure trove of great stories and content there.

Namor definitely murdered Nazis but please share with me the stories where he murdered innocents.

He killed two divers in his first story.
Derailed a train in NYC and made it crash catastrophically.
Murdered a boatful of people near his homeland.
Etc.

What I do like about older comics is how much shit happened in one issue. In two issues you'd have a whole fleshed out story that you could make a full length movie with. Nowadays they'd drag it to ten fucking issues with nice looking but inefficient full page spreads and they'd break it up every two or three issues with boring crossovers and uninspired filler issues. Just read some Power Girl stuff from the 70s and sure it's a bit silly but goddamn, going from this to Batman Rebirth's current run is night and day. I also like how you could basically jump into any series at any time and not miss much because most issues were good standalone stories

I agree completely. Every issue was something new and exciting, and if a story did go 2 or three issues it was a big deal. If you didn't like an issue, oh well, you had the next one to look forward to. Now you are stuck with the same story for a minimum of 6 months, or three I guess with Rebirth double shipping. An entire Bendis book would probably be condensed into 2-4 pages.

"every issue is someone's first"

Police Comics are great, Whiz Comics and Captain Marvel have some gems in there too.

Yeah, they were stuck with a limited number of pages so they had to economize.

i have a four year old. golden age comics are pretty much the only comics i can get him interested in. they are so fast and imaginative that he doesnt mind the crude art at all.

Golden Age Plastic Man, Golden Age Captain Marvel, and Golden Disney are REALLY high quality. Don't expect other Golden Age comics to be on that level.

you just mentioned them

Batman was good, and Captain Marvel jr was great

Good for you, OP. I'm with , ignore what and the rest of those fucking gaylords said. Undoubtedly the most vibrant and innovative period for cape comics bar none. A time when tropes and drawing styles were being codified yet before the tyranny of meretricious and faddish house styles (I'm NOT saying house styles didn't exist back then--they totally did, but there was a flexibility and a charm to the drawing that by most cases was eradicated come the 1980's). I really like those early Plastic Man comics. Keep reading what you enjoy. Get into the artists and not the characters and you will be richly rewarded if you seek out their later works.

To add to this if you're looking for artists look for the stuff done by Jack Cole, C.C. Beck, Lou Fine, Will Eisner, Jack Kirby and Joe Simon (much different Kirby art than what he's usually known for) and some others I can't remember right now.

I would include The Spirit (when Eisner was around, though Lou Fine does decent art while Eisner was off at war) and certain EC Comics.

Yeah, the Eisner/Iger studio, basically. Thanks user.

I like 'em but I prefer Silver Age especially DC and Spider-Man.

bump

EC isn't Golden Age though. That was 50s.

Silver Age doesn't start till 1956. EC is still Golden Age.

Golden Age ends in the late 40s, dumbass.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_Age_of_Comic_Books

>The Golden Age of Comic Books describes an era of American comic books from the late 1930s to the early 1950s.

Stop being such a poser, casual

>wikipedia

>poser

>subpar shitposting

>being a faggot

>State the fact that not every Golden Age comic was sunshine and rainbows
>WOOOOOW FUCKIN GAYLORD

Are you retarded or something?

imean i really like what i've read of golden age superman and some Detective comics stuff, but i would be nice if everyone wasnt getting so damn defensive in this thread

also i recommend checking out wonderwoman stuff, thats great fun and pretty underrated.

Golden Age Plastic Man is great, Shazam too (like everyone else said,) Spirit, Wonder Woman (like said is great for a multitude of reasons, partially because the artist was self-taught and did some interesting things.)

I've heard great things about Dick Briefer's Frankenstein, although I haven't read it yet. Spectre is good, Sandman is good.
OP, you got great taste, keep it up.

>Alan Moore
i guess you never heard of Tom Strong then

No, just some cunts have to criticise, smear and impugn something other people enjoy to make themselves feel like King of All Comics
Yes, the Briefer Frankenstein stuff is brilliant, I have the IDW/Yoe! books collection that came out a few year ago. Do you know a lot of those panels weren't pencilled, Briefer just went straight to ink?