What the fuck was the fascination to make children versions of characters?

What the fuck was the fascination to make children versions of characters?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=UMdZXMjxydc
youtube.com/watch?v=ox8kouz86ww
youtube.com/watch?v=XeRpqqkf7gI
youtube.com/watch?v=npUdoua5JSs
youtube.com/watch?v=qYL2zF91H_g
youtube.com/watch?v=11t75Vsgjc0
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Muppets Take Manhattan had a segment about the characters as babies. While the film itself did respectably, that particular segment was super well-received and was responsible for Muppet Babies.

That show was a massive hit so everybody else tried to get in on the action.

80's marketing at work. How do you take adults or teenagers and make them more appealing to a wider audience? Make them into hip kids with attitude.

Had a thing for that style of Veronica at the time.

But weren't Pup named Scooby Doo and Baby Looney Tunes the only successful ones?

>shota archie

Mostly, but that didn't stop everyone in the mid to late 80's from trying.

Baby Looney Tunes is kind of weird since it came like a decade and a half after the fad had died.

Why are you posting the Archie gang looking so OLD? Li'l Archie is where it's at!

Cause it wasn't 80s.
This was 80s.
youtube.com/watch?v=UMdZXMjxydc

most fictional media boils down to rebelling against authority in some way
kids are generally more interested in seeing fellow kids succeed at fight/subverting the authority of 'grown ups' than the same with teenagers or adults, since to a young kid, a teenager feels more like an adult than a fellow kid.

Then a few years later, when those kids are teens, you bust out reruns or reboots hat have the cast at their 'proper' age to easily re-hook yourself a loyal viewerbase

attempts to use an old IP and repurpose it for a new younger generations
they took this idea quite literally
its not like the last generation had to be the same age as said characters to enjoy them in the first place. deaging them just seems so damn redundant

They weren't even god damn babies. They were toddlers.

Let's see...

Muppet Babies
A Pup Named Scooby-Doo
Tom and Jerry Kids
Flintstone Kids
Yo Yogi
The New Archies
Baby Looney Tunes
Jungle Cubs

I'm missing something.

Disney had a merchandising line with baby characters but I don't think it got a show.

Compared to the rest of the crowd I guess so though neither was anywhere near as big as Muppet Babies was.

Jesus.

Also if this is the past, why is Augie Doggie the same age as the rest--you know what? It's not worth asking.

yeah, but it's NEW! BTW, what's with the trend of calling shows NEW in the 70's and 80's. The NEW Scooby Doo Movies. The New Archies. This stuff is 3 years old by now, it's stopped being NEW a few decades back!

>roxey
I DON'T FUCKING REMEMBER A BONDAGE BEAR

>kids are generally more interested in seeing fellow kids succeed at fight/subverting the authority of 'grown ups' than the same with teenagers or adults, since to a young kid, a teenager feels more like an adult than a fellow kid.
but kids before still liked Archie, the Muppets, and so on when the characters were older than them
why does the next generation even need the characters to be deaged if they worked before normally

Same with Sesame Street. They had all their characters as babies for books and shit, even poser puppets. But then they made the videos about Baby Elmo taking a shit.

>everyone gets aged down
>Augie Doggie and Doggie Daddy stay the same ages
What
Even Ranger Smith at least got downgraded to a mall cop

The music is pure 80s, but the way they are dressed screams early 90s. Is fucking great.

>archie just drags Betty around while he skateboards and makes his dog pull him
What a lil douche.

Ah, The New Archies.

I can't really fully answer you question, but it's been going on for a long time. In comics alone, Superboy goes back to at least 1945 or so and had his own title starting in 1949. Wonder Girl, originally a young Wonder Woman, had backstories from her teenage years going back to 1947. In the early 1960s, it was common to see both Wonder Girl and Wonder Tot (again, at this time the young Wonder Woman) in Wonder Woman comics, presented as Hippolyta's home movies. It wasn't until a bit later that Wonder Girl stories started happening concurrently with Wonder Woman stories and she was eventually spun off into a completely separate character, Donna Troy, who is super confusing.

As far as Archie goes, though, I actually do have an answer, albeit a likely apocryphal one.

According to the introduction in The Best of Archie, the inspiration for Little Archie, which debuted in 1956, came about during a poker game. John Goldwater was playing cards with some of the other comic book publishers one night and they began to kid him about his Archie comics. They told him: "Here we publish all types of comic books and you make an empire just out of Archie. All your books are Archie this or Archie that or Big Archie or Little Archie..."

And, as for why it was such a thing in the 1980s and 1990s, I have little insight, save that there were a lot of cartoons being churned out, a lot of them were based on liscenses or preexisting titles, and all were marketed to children.

I didn't say that they weren't interested, just that they were more interested if there was a kid present.

consider how many people who grew up with DBZ latched onto Gohan as their favorite character

There is an even worse subgenre when cartoons with kid characters have baby versions.

But sesame street is already for toddlers?! Who the hell was this meant to appeal to?

Don't forget Greendale Babies

Count's the only logical one there.

And unlike Cindy and the usual rule for Female counterparts, she's not wearing pants.

Vatican ordered to please the clergy.

drawn together babies

Uncle Grandpa Babies

youtube.com/watch?v=ox8kouz86ww

Is there an Avengers Babies yet?

it made more sense than drawing adults and make them behave like 5 years old, like any modern shows these days.

>Veronica
That wasn't Ethel?

the Xmen have babies counterparts in the comics.

Does this count?
youtube.com/watch?v=XeRpqqkf7gI

I mean, they seemed like they were exactly the same age as they were in the cartoon, which were baby like
youtube.com/watch?v=npUdoua5JSs
and Muppet Toddlers isn't as actually

*actually as catchy or accurate

"The Adventures of Superboy: Superman when he was a boy!"

>what's with the trend of calling shows NEW in the 70's and 80's.

"The New Adventures of Superman" was made to differentiate it from "The Adventures of Superman" show. Everyone else just copied it probably.

yes

This is correct.

Maybe thisYoung Augie is the one that grows up to be Daddy?

>watching cartoon with someone else

>it's a character turns into a child/baby episode

Is there any worse feeling?

What the fuck is the fascination with teenaged heroes today?
Same answer to both - because our society is creating coddled narcissists.

>watching cartoon with someone else
How'd you manage tha?

:^)

>I'm missing something.

You are, but you should be glad you forgot it

youtube.com/watch?v=qYL2zF91H_g

It's the same reason we had sidekicks. The American media thinks that the only way kids can relate to characters is through kids.

>shota dick dastardly

Where was Quick Draw damnit!

>cute clumsy girl trips and exposes panties

>elementary-school panties everywhere

The Japanese LEARNED IT FROM WATCHING US

This only works when every main character is the same age. A "tag-along kid" is typically reviled, either at the time, or in hindsight by the fandom.

See: Wesley Crusher, Scrappy-Doo, the Wonder Twins, Marv and Wendy...

Kids want to be the heroes, not the "pals" or sidekicks. They'll project themselves onto whoever they like the most, not the people most like them.

Mojo gives the people what they want.

Including a crossover event where X-Men Babies fought Avenger Babies.

I was wondering that too. Cartoon from 1987 but their clothes look like 1993. How did the character designers manage to be this prophetic?

Or that they used to keep mutilating the Pokemon dub because of some notion that kids won't watch it unless they airbrushed out all Japanese shit.

>Also if this is the past, why is Augie Doggie the same age as the rest-

Tome & Jerry Kids did the same thing. Tom & Jerry were turned into kids, but Spike and Tyke remained the same ages they were in the classic shorts.

Incidentally, Spike & Tyke and Auggie Doggy & Doggy Daddy are the exact same archetypes to the point of being doppelgangers.

But whatever, it wasn't the worst offense of Yo Yogi. That honor goes to Magilla Ice.

He existed

>liking the pussy child

Here: youtube.com/watch?v=11t75Vsgjc0

>Magilla Ice

That joke is beautiful

>consider how many people who grew up with DBZ latched onto Gohan as their favorite character
Well Gohan was kind of the main character at the begining of DBZ

>This only works when every main character is the same age.
Thats how DB started then Goku grew up.

I think the weirdest thing for me was watching DBZ then GT only to find out Dragonball was a thing, I think they only started playing the original on TV here in the UK once GT ended.

In the US they aired the first 13 episodes of Dragon Ball, then cancelled and jumpsed straight to DBZ. Then after they had finished that, they began airing the rest of Dragon Ball. Then GT.

And there were like 4 or 5 different dubs using the same 2 casts that the broadcasts would switch back and forth between. You could never hear the same episode the same way twice.

i want to things to that Betty

Christ, that sounds even more confusing then what we got.