>Set is the Egyptian god of death
wat

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=1M9rCbc18e0
variety411.com/article/the-mummy-hair-makeup-elizabeth-yianni-georgiou-4152641/
youtube.com/watch?v=0JDN9RtY3Yw
youtu.be/gUMT4scl8dU?t=2m14s
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

They're just using Set as stand-in for Hades in the already warped Hollywood perception of Greek mythology where Zeus=God and Hades=Satan.

>the already warped Hollywood perception of Greek mythology where Zeus=God and Hades=Satan.
Yeah it wasn't the christians who ripped all that shit off

Hades isn't Egyptian either.

Why not Anubis?

He's literally the god associated with death, the afterlife, and mummification

nutella was great in atomic blonde.
much better movie

He kind of is though. Before Set murdered Osiris, there was no death in the world that Ra had created. Osiris then becomes the archetype for every deceased individual who hopes to make it into the afterlife by emulating Osiris' journey. In that worldview, death is not a natural part of the order of things but rather a cosmic disturbance that was caused by Set. Every dead person is identified with Osiris whose mummy needs to be protected from desecration, personified as Set. So he is the god of death in a different, wholly negative sense as opposed to Osiris who rules the underworld or Anubis who helps you get there.

Didn't they already use him for one of the Mummy films with Brendan Frasier in them? Not that I'm opposed to Anubis appearing simply because of that, but I wouldn't be terribly surprised if that was used as an excuse for excluding him.

>Set, the god of death
>So, basically the devil
>Indeed
wat

Isn't this a reboot so those never existed?

He isn't though. He didn't create death, he just killed Osiris.

Isis killed Ra, that doesn't make her the goddess of death.

Anubis was the god of death

In 90% egypt-related movies Hollywood fucks something up. Remaining 10% are unwatchable ugly.
In "The Mummy" 2017 they just mistaken god meaning. Set was god of sand, darkness and chaos, which is accurate here. No idea why they claimed him got of death too, but can get away with this little 'translation/exposition' mistake.

lolwut Isis didn't kill Ra, she just weakened him by learning his true name. last time I checked, the sun barque is still traversing the sky each day

but that's beside the point really, you're thinking too narrowly about this. Egyptian mythology isn't like Greek mythology where you simply have God X who is the "god of Y". Saying "Anubis is THE god of death" is a gross oversimplification.

Set committed the first murder in a world that hasn't known death so far. Whether that means he CREATED death in the sense of: it wasn't an option before isn't the point. the point is that for the Egyptians, Osiris was the archetypal deceased person, and he died by murder, making the murderer Set the archetypal cause of death (and an unnatural death, which makes death itself an unnatural interruption). every deceased is idenfitied with Osiris, and funerary rituals are replete with spells to defend the individual Osiris-mummy from his individual Set-death.

So Set is "the god of death" in the sense that he embodies the original violation of life

Anubis is "the god of death" in the sense that he's the guy with the toolkit to help the individual "Osiris" survive the onslaught of his individual "Set-death"

Osiris then is the "god of death" in the sense that he is the archetypal personification of the successful completion of that journey facilitated by Anubis, he welcomes all "murdered" travelers to his realm where Set can't get you anymore

if you want a more thorough treatment, I recommend the great book by Jan Assmann: Of God and Gods - Egypt, Israel, and the Rise of Monotheism, from p. 33 onward "Seth as the personification of death and violence"

so to sum up:

Anubis = god of afterlife
Osiriz = god of death natural process/preparation
Set = god of chaotic, accidental or violent death?

ops, Anubis and Osiris other way around

>they were different times
why would she know/care that morals are different 4000 years later?

Common fucking sense? The obvious tone of their voice when questioning her? What the fuck did you learn in school?

She has no information about modern day morals and how they've changed.

Murder was just as wrong then as it is now. It has nothing to do with the current year.

oh so you're an autistic idiot, thanks I should have realized.

everything I know about Egyptian gods I learned from Stargate desu

Never reply to me again.

she had common moral sense, she was really tormented, but finally having nothing to lose, made her choice and killed family. after that, coming back to life, she had no intention to kill, wanted just finish ritual, all kills are like animal instinct - just to feed on or reach her target
youtube.com/watch?v=1M9rCbc18e0

according to easter egg with golden book from Brandon movies, and following other media (mobile game [oic-related] contains various refferences to all universal mummy films since 1932, 40s and so on) all universal mummies make 1 canon, new one is just set 80 years later

>Murder was just as wrong then as it is now. It has nothing to do with the current year.
lol no

basically yeah

Honestly I really liked her more than the guy
I hope instead of killing her, he'd keep her in check and could be the true end couple

So way they decipted Set in movie is semi-accurate, just unfortunately called?

She assassinated the Pharoah, his queen, and his heir.

All three actions would have been seen as the worst of crimes, crimes against the gods themselves, and punished by death.

The current year she's in makes no difference

Anubis wasn't seen as evil. He protected the bodies of the dead and brought their souls to the afterlife.

yes, but I doubt it's because they did the research, I think they just got lucky that way
we're not talking about Anubis

ye i guess definetly lucky. but Universal was always one of laziest big studios out there. amazing how it is still on market since... hmm 1912?

Set hated Osiris/Horus but also protected Ra from Apep.

He wasn't vilified until later on when Egypt got conquered, since he was also a god of foreigners.

Did Stargate SG-1 lie to me?

The heroine was awful. Cheered when she croaked. Then she came back and the crappyl climax got worse.

true, but in the context of funerary culture his positive aspects are absent, there he is nothing but the personification of death and final dissolution that threatens the deceased. Egyptians were so afraid of introducing Set into the burial chamber that they even removed Set from the hieroglyphs of king Seti's name in his tomb in the Valley of the Kings and replaced it with Osiris

School isn't based enough to teach you about them.

are these tattoos she gets, anything egypt-related? are double eyes reffering to something?
sarcophagus obviously doesn't look like egyptian, but they got that evil looking thing great

no it's all bullshit

>personification of death
Where are you getting this from?

Nothing in any text I've ever read has him as the personification of death, which is literally 100% Anubis' thing.

Exactomundo

hmm about tattos, makeup artist says they were taken from [pic-related] but they love to make-up bullshit stories, anyone can find any similarities?

variety411.com/article/the-mummy-hair-makeup-elizabeth-yianni-georgiou-4152641/

throughout Egyptian funerary culture, the deceased is identified with Osiris, his death with Seth, his son and successor with Horus. spells are recited over the mummy to protect it from Set (who returns to murder Osiris in the shape of every individual death), for instance:

"Ye gods there, (invokes several deities) they whom Ra has summoned for the protection of Osiris, for he did not with Seth to behold him" (i.e., the vulnerable mummy) "Rise, ye gods in their hours, offer protection, ye gods in the darkness! Slay ye Seth for him, ward off his minions, do not allow the attack to succeed a second time!", and I could quote a whole bunch of other spells like this.

As I said before, Seth is the archetypal death that threatens every dead person, and insofar he is the god of death. Anubis and Osiris are gods of death in different ways, but none of them is THE god of death.

>did not *wish*

Who are you quoting? I googled your exact quote and there are no results...

Set is depicted as trying to prove his dominance by seducing Horus and then having sexual intercourse with him. However, Horus places his hand between his thighs and catches Set's semen, then subsequently throws it in the river so that he may not be said to have been inseminated by Set. Horus then deliberately spreads his own semen on some lettuce, which was Set's favorite food. After Set had eaten the lettuce, they went to the gods to try to settle the argument over the rule of Egypt. The gods first listened to Set's claim of dominance over Horus, and call his semen forth, but it answered from the river, invalidating his claim. Then, the gods listened to Horus' claim of having dominated Set, and call his semen forth, and it answered from inside Set.

That's good to hear.
Just watched The Mummy this morning and was considering watching Atomic Blonde because she was in it, but I hadn't heard anything about it.

'she is in' is best thing to describe. if she got 5 minutes screentime it is top of that, but every each scene she is in, is worth watching. there is something odd and arousal in Sofia.

that was my spontaneous translation from a German book on Egyptian funerary culture, the passage is from British Museum papyrus 10081

>rando user translation of a book by some random german author who probably based his work on an english translation of ancient greek
that's not a source

mind sharing book title?

set was the sort of bad or evil god. but he had his own role.
unlike most other religions, the egyptians didn't really have clear good and evil gods.

anubis gets used all the fucking time as the god of evil. when he was basicly the god of mummies (his task being to guide them to the after life)
even though set was only sort of evil, at least this movie used the correct one and didn't go like lol anubis.

it's mostly modern (christian) religions that push the whole evil and good gods shit.
hades wasn't seen as evil by the ancient greeks, but christians turned him into their satan version

Jan Assmann is one if the most significant living Egyptologists today user
>who probably based his work on an english translation of ancient greek
it's an Egyptian papyrus, and there's tons of other spells from the hourly vigil held over the mummy of the deceased, all invoking protection of the gods to repel Seth
Tod und Jenseits im Alten Ägypten, pp. 349ff.
Ah, there's an English translation: "Death and Salvation in Ancient Egypt", so there you'll find the relevant sources

>Just watched The Mummy this morning and was considering watching Atomic Blonde
so you dindt see her sex scene with charlize theron?
oh boy...

When's the movie about kek?

Film was average. No hate no love either, at least wasn't exact copy of original. But fucking love these "Mummy" threads. So comfy, with actual discussion instead of constant shitting at each other. No Sup Forums bullshit, no memes. Just proper Sup Forums talk.

who's that dude?

I don't understand why everyone hated it and was saying it was god awful. Everything I heard about it made it sound like an unredeemable piece of shit that would ruin Cruise's career. When I finally saw it is was an enjoyable and fun movie. The expectation for absolute shit probably made it seem better than it is, but in no way did it seem like a career or franchise killer. To me it felt on par with most of the Marvel movies which everyone praises

youtube.com/watch?v=0JDN9RtY3Yw

giv mummy gf

Tought the same. Few things that people always complained, and things that always is panned.

1. They expected same indiana-jones ripoff as Brendan movies. 90% of viewers don't know any other mummy movies.
2. mostly people complain about Universe building. Universal stated it long before movie premiere, that this is supposed to estabilish universe. This was purpose and intention - it's like complaining about something movie is supposed to do.
3. movie is far from current hollyjewd/sjw standards. Whole white-lead, and the only black guy do nothing and dies in plane crash shortly Lead female is shown as eyecandy and requires wearing glasses to turn into smartass Antagonist is female, she is violently, sexually killed at end showing male empowerment. If it was made 10 years ago, noone would care.
4. this is ridiculous, but found it in some complains too. Some people boycott movie for placing Sofia as egyptian princess, as whitewashing. Not realising she is from Algeria, which is pretty close to Egypt.
5. they complain that movie "steals" many various themes from various movies zombies, undead american warewolf in london friend, japan horros cliches with girl showing out of water. If it was directed by Tarantino, they would praise this as a "brilliant homage" or something.
6. mostly of critics panning down plot and saying no word about how great visuals are. Not a word on brilliant stunts, sets, decorations, locations or CGI use. other blockbusters are praised for these, even if plot is meeh
Movie is still a solid visual medium. BvS was panned by critics, but they praised visuals.
7. Cruise - no need to explain he is hated by half of america. People care more about his scientology that actual performance (acting is too much said) worldwide Cruise is still power able to bring asses into cinema seats

to be honest, if it was made few years ago, it wouldn't be railed that much

>Was-sceptre

WE

the mummy sucked

"was" means "(divine) power" in Egyptian

Wasn't he the god of chaos and disorder?
The god they blamed natural disasters?

>be Set
>god of the desert, storms and foreigners
>help Ra fight off Apep every other night, ensuring the world doesn't plunge into darkness and chaos
>generally a nice guy
>have a major cult in Upper Egypt
>one day your own sister-wife Nephthys seduces your own brother Osiris, so you kill him and hack his body in revenge
>a few generations later, hear about a new cult challenging yours
>this kid called Horus coming from Lower Egypt represents the fertile land, thus directly opposing you
>struggle for dominance, eventually Horus' cult wins
>nevertheless, the two of you reach a compromise and end up crowning pharaohs together as a symbol of their dominion over both lands
>fast forward to the Second Intermediate Kingdom
>a group of foreign invaders called Hyksos take over Egypt and, because you resemble their god the most, start worshipping you
>the land goes through a rough time, and the locals blame everything on you
>eventually the Hyksos are kicked out, and Egypt becomes much more xenophobic
>meaning you, as god of foreigners and former god of the Hyksos, are thoroughly demonized
>now the whole Osiris/Horus thing is being retold, with you murdering the "rightful king" Osiris and bringing "chaos and violence" to Egypt until his son Horus avenges him
>this myth ends up being written down several times and becomes the most proeminent myth of your land
>nobody remembers you for anything else
>in the modern world, every time Ancient Egyptian mythology is brought up, you are seen as either Egyptian Satan or Scar from The Lion King, if not both
Set has it the worst out of every god from every pantheon.

Tom: guys, I read the script and I'm not sure I'm sold on this whole Cinematic Universe thing..
Them: NO TOM, YOU ARE THE MUMMY
Tom: O.O
Them: AND AT THE END OF THE MOVIE YOU BECOME THE GOD OF DEATH, YOU EVEN RESURRECT YOUR SIDEKICK
Tom: I'm in

oh yea, she sucked so good...

I was making a we wuz joke but thanks for the tidbit

Tom and his love in treat were the worse part of the movie. The mummy chick was cute and over all the movie was ok. I hope they don't actually cancel the entire expanded universe.

I think they put too much into it, to abort. There is mobile game, a bit of merchendise stuff, DVD/Blu-Ray released just a while ago. Full of bonus content, Next movie is in pre-production and Mummy did relatively well worldwide.
They expected around 350 million. Movie did over 400 million, pretty good result considering terrible reviews.
From before release:
>[..]insiders say a $40 million bow (plus a strong overseas haul) would be enough to move forward with the universe as planned

why Tom Cruise
>And the film is expected to do the majority of its business abroad, where Cruise continues to be a major draw. The Mummy will open day-and-date in more than 60 markets, including China.
>box-office analyst Paul Dergarabedian. "If you look at [Universal's] Fate of the Furious, 80 percent of its box office came from international. Tom Cruise is an international superstar, and he remains so.
>Cruise's character will recur in the universe.

marketing:
>Comcast, Universal's parent company, is giving the film its so-called Symphony marketing push in the U.S. in which multiplatform divisions work together to promote a single project.

We will see.

Anyone got DVD/Blu-Ray already? How's bonus content?

this is the actor
shes not black enough
WE WUZ KANGZ 'N' SHIET

are there more 360 videos from Mummy, or only this?
youtu.be/gUMT4scl8dU?t=2m14s