The Coen Brothers used to alternate director credit instead of sharing it because the directors guild says that only...

>The Coen Brothers used to alternate director credit instead of sharing it because the directors guild says that only one director can be credited unless it's an "established duo"
>They also edit their own films, but have to credit a pseudonym, "Roderick Jaynes" thanks to guild rules

Why are Hollywood guilds so retarded?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jimmy_Hoffa
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

How can a duo be established if they don't allow two directors to be credited?

Because they're unions and unions, while originally a good thing, have become obsessed with their own power.

I'm surprised they're allowed writing credits. The rules there are even more asinine.

Mindblowing that they wrote Barton Fink in a week. That movie is so great!

>They also edit their own films, but have to credit a pseudonym, "Roderick Jaynes" thanks to guild rules
Can you elaborate on this?
What are the guild rules?

This. Guilds and unions are cancer.

>all of this anti-guild nonsense
Guilds protect a lot of people and do more good than harm. Sure, there are a lot of funny rules, but they're there for very good reasons even if they sometimes hamper edge cases. It isn't as if the Coens' career has been significantly affected by these rules, but these rules have helped a lot of little guys, I'll tell you that.

Provide evidence to back up your claims.

>tfw Coen Brothers make the best anti-Semitic films

This also seems to be a very american thing. I mean, here in europe unions get their fair share of shit, which is probably justified, but overall they seem more respected and functional than in the US.

Is it the mob influence or just the amarican dislike of organized workers?

>Guilds protect a lot of people

Namely the people in the guild. Everyone else can get fucked. They are a form of institutionalized nepotism.

>I'm surprised they're allowed writing credits. The rules there are even more asinine.
No director with any sort of integrity would sign up if they weren't allowed writing credits.

>Is it the mob influence
It's this. Labor unions became incredibly corrupt in the 50s and 60s.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jimmy_Hoffa

> George Lucas had to pay a fine because he had no credits in the beginning of Star Wars episode 5

Guilds are stupid.

>decide to do some reading on dga rules
>turns out that a director cannot be replaced by anyone else involved in the project to prevent internal sabotage
Oh shit
That explains why Affleck isn't directing Justice League among other things from the past year

Is that why Coens have made so many films that mock Hollywood?

> The Writers Guild of America has repeatedly tried to limit possessory credits to writers, but has always been successfully opposed by the Directors Guild of America (DGA), leaving directors free to try to negotiate such credits if they wish
lol the wga are even more retarded than the dga, what a bunch of fucking idiots

George Lucas isn't in the guild anymore, and neither is Robert Rodriquez. He quit during the making of Sin City so he could credit Frank Miller as co-director. Quentin Tarantino made his first six films without being a guild member. I think he only joined when he made his first studio film as opposed to the independent ones he was making before.

Unions will bully and protest any business that chooses to build without using union labor. I support them in theory, but their practices are childish.

Deepest apologies, I made that up in an attempt to sow discord.

>Lets slit each other's throats in a race to the bottom

As it should be. It's not their fault there is a lot of faggots around enjoying the rights conquered by previous generations of workers while actively undermining them for their own benefit.

>George Lucas isn't in the guild anymore,
Was he ever? I know he was out by at least Jedi, which was one of the reasons lynch couldn't do the project, and partly why lucas directed the prequels.

Children of Men comes to mind. The project went through different hands until Alfonso Cuaron took it, and he and Timothy Sexton read the book and wrote their own screenplay and went with it.

But because other writers had officially done work on previous drafts (drafts that were NOT used in the final product, mind you) the WGA demanded they get credited as well. So the movie is credited to five writers.

It's called competition. I know commies don't like it because it means better people get paid better.

>tfw Coen Brothers make the best anti-Commie film

>WHAT? YOU'RE WILLING TO WORK FOR LESS? NOT IN MY TOWN!

Unions are so stupid.

Guilds and local unions usually are the ones providing insurance plans for workers. They also negotiate rules.

For example: Production Assistants have no union. Therefore they have no "turn around". That means you can work a PA for 16 hours and have him/her come back to work in 8 hours to work another 16 hour shift.
On the other hand, SAG might cut a deal that says that actors get a 12 hour "turn around" unless the production company wants to pay an extra fee.

You don't really see the effects, but there are some good things. On one hand unions are good, but on the other hand some movies and directors can't manage to create what they want within the system, which can cause all sorts of effects.

The Star Wars movies probably saved a lot of money working non-union. Titanic was possible because it was made in Mexico. SAG-AFTRA had different rules depending on if you were shooting film or digitally. It was stupid.

Stopping people from working for the pay they're willing to take and the conditions they're willing to work under is not a good thing.

sorry but you don't understand the amount of money involved in these productions, and the amount of insurance that has to be purchased to produce a multi million dollar picture.

Also, there have been multiple incidents where people die because they broke the rules.

The stunt actress who died on deadpool
Vic Morrow's death
Brandon Lee's death

There was a woman who almost was decapitated on a Michael Bay set because they didn't rig a car gag properly.

You think there shouldn't be licenses to operate boilers, explosives, electricity, or diving equipment? You clearly haven't thought this through. There are people in this business with decades of experience, who know how to utilize the equipment properly. When they are circumvented, people get hurt.

t.Former Special Effects technician.

I don't know if there's a point trying to explain the technical realities to a NEET that's never worked a day in their life.
>muh official talking points say unions are evil
>Never mind that people fought and died to give me a 40 hour work week and paid overtime, or benefits
>I want to work in a fucking sweatshop

If I want to work in a sweatshop I souls be able to.

So move to china if you think having no protected status as a worker is so cool.