Sad comics

Can anyone recommend me comics that deal with depression/grief/sadness, etc?

pic related.

Other urls found in this thread:

murrlogic1.deviantart.com/gallery/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

murrlogic1.deviantart.com/gallery/

here

Would prefer if it were in physical format. I would like to relax and read something before bed.

Thanks though

>Flex Mentallo: Man of Muscle Mystery
>Death: High Cost of Living
>It's a Bird
>The Dark Night: A True Batman Story
>Morrison's Doom Patrol

i'll look into them. thank you.

What's this? A family tragedy for ants?

Look into Chris Ware

>asks for comics about depression
>capefag recommends a bunch of capeshit

OP asked for comics about depression, not comics that would cause depression.

Read Powerded Milk by Keiler Roberts or Chris Ware's Building Stories. Not some capefag trash you can't identify with.

>cape comic
>death

Inb4 maus

Its sad to read if you have ever had a father or grandpa with rigid views and old guilt

Hospital Suite by Porcellino
Some of Jason's stuff like Hey, Wait...

Hey Wait... By Jason

Flex Mentallo is about as much about depression as a comic book can get. I'm not sure if there's really a better way to tackle the feelings and lack of feeling than the juxtaposition showcased there.

The Tale of One Bad Rat by Brian Talbot is pretty amazing

Fun Home deals with the author processing the death of her father, it's pretty good.

Alack Sinner
Asterios Polyp
David Boring

Kabuki trades 2 and Dreams. Both are not so much stories and artistic introspections about a girl trying to come to terms with her mothers death and how she basically stopped growing at that point.

wonderful art

Why did you save the thumbnail, shit

Daytripper

Only one of them is a Cape comic, dumbfuck

Say which one so that I can laugh at you.

You say, since you claimed it.

kek

BTW, what is this Powdered Milk? How old is it? Who published it? That cover art reminds me a little of Gabrielle Bell's style, especially the kid on the right's face.

Nice recs. I should get that Alack Sinner collection that came out recently, it'd be nice to have all that stuff in one place. I have the five Fantagraphics issues and the Joe's Bar GN, is all this material in the collection?

Pic related, great comic, great cartoonist. Also Lint by Chris Ware (the most recent issue of Acme Novelty Library, it was number, what, 19 or 20, I think?), A Child's Life and Other Stories by Phoebe Gloeckner, It's A Good Life, If You Don't Weaken by Seth (hell, pretty much all Seth's Palookaville stuff touches on depression and grief), I also approve of the other user's who recommended Hey, Wait by Jason. Really sad, but good comic.

Its on Amazon and its cheap and worth it. It was originally self-published as minicomics but the collected version says it was published by "CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform". Her second collection is called "Miseryland" (pic related.) And yes, her artwork is very reminiscent of Gabrielle Bell. I thought the same thing when I saw it.

Nice one, thank you user! Have you read any of Bell's newer stuff? I still really respect her as a cartoonist but I've gone off her a bit in recent years, desu (although I thought her comic in the last Kramers was really good...REALLY good). I loved her earlier stuff (hahah fuck I sound like a right pretentious hipster arsehole) like the MOME material and that story from D & Q Showcase about the art student who begins teaching the son of a famous sculptor (have you read that one? it's great, it's from D & Q Showcase 9, I think--it has the ogre Glenn Ganges story in it and a cool Dan Zettwoch comic about the St. Louis flood that happened in the 1930's, anyway it's worth getting if you haven't already, I'm sure you can pick up a cheap copy online)...I intermittently follow her online comics but the last thing I bought by her was Lucky, and that was when it came out! I haven't read any of her Uncivilised stuff, though. I think some of her best work is the non-autobiographical stuff, I reckon that's why I like her MOME comics so much. Thanks again for the heads up about Miseryland user!

It's Cape because it's not self published by cartoonists. Why are indiefags so cancerous.

You are the cancer. Capefaggotry is the reason comic books will never be accepted as a medium of true art. Fuck off capefags.

He disagrees with me. He must be a Capefag.

Three of my favorites are Duncan the Wonder Dog , And Then Emily Was Gone, and The End of the World. None specifically deal with depression, but are depressing reads when approached from that angle.

No problem. I try to get all of Bell's work. Her most recent book I believe was "Truth Is Fraggmentary" and that was pretty good, but I didn't enjoy it as much as her older stuff. Cecil and Jordan in New York was a nice collection. I liked The Voyeurs. And I vaguely remember the story about tutoring that kid. I don't think I have that D&Q Showcase but it is my goal to collect and all the D&Q anthologies at some point. The huge 25 year anniversary book got me thinking about that.

Kek, I kind of like this dude

Oh, fuck, how could I forget this (pic related), one of the most soul-crushing masterpieces this side of Chris Ware?! Amazing comic. I'm reading Cotter's Nod Away at the moment and that would fit the bill, too.

Still haven't Read Cecil And Jordan, I should give it a go if I can get a cheap enough copy, I think it's OOP now, isn't it? Is The Voyeurs non-autobiographical? I love Uncivilized, Tom K. has put out some great books, David B, his own work, Laura Park, Gabrielle Bell...he hasn't put a foot wrong in my opinion. The only cartoonist on his roster who I actively dislike is that Derek Van Gieson fella, his artwork is awful and his stories fucking suck.
There's some fucking gold in those D & Q anthologies! Those early non-squarebound glossy mag-sized ones, the ones that are just called Drawn & Quarterly especially. Postcard, the Mazzucchelli story about the tourist in Paris was in there, Debbie Drechsler's abortion story (both of those are in the big D & Q anniversary book, aren't they? I haven't read it but I had a quick flick through my mate's copy, there didn't seem much point in me getting it as I have a pretty good chunk of most of the material in there), some great Loustal stuff, avant-garde manga and alternative comics mainstays, just all sorts of good shit. The Showcase anthologies are very good, too, those are all relatively up-and-coming cartoonists (well, they were at the time, most of the people who were published have established careers, now) but they don't just cover the US. There are so many little gems in both of those anthologies. Apologies if you knew all of this, I don't ant to sound like a patronising cnut, user!

Swallow Me Whole by Nate Powell

>Picture books
>True art

Oh shit I forgot about that, I should re-read it. There's something really fucking eerie about that comic. Haven't read any other Powell comics, what was the one after Swallow...Any Empire, or something? Have you read that, user? And I know he's done those March books but I didn't really fancy those. Not for political reasons, or anything!, they just didn't urgently scream at me to buy them. Having said that I believe Nate Powell is a pretty solid cartoonist. I quite like his drawing and the story and dialogue in Swallow... was ace.

I don't know if Cecil and Jordan is still in print or not but you can get a cheap used copy on Amazon. As far as I remember The Voyeurs is mostly autobio but I think, like a lot of her stuff, it mixes in stories that are fiction. One think I love about her is I'll be reading a story thinking its true and then something ridiculous happens and I realize it's not autobio.

Thanks for the reminder to check out Laura Park. I still have zero of her books and autobio is what really turns my crank. Aside from D&Q and Fantagraphics I don't follow publishers as much as I follow the cartoonists themselves. But you are reminding me that it would be good to keep an eye on other publishers websites just to see what is coming out.

When I first got into indie comics (about 14 years ago,) I would just randomly buy anything that looked cool. I went on ebay a lot and bid on indie comics lots just to see what was out there. I got into a lot of good this way. I also wound up with a bunch of random stuff but the feeling of coming across some weird, obscure comics that turns out to be great was amazing. I got a bunch of issues of the magazine-sized D&Q anthology that way but I am sure I have holes in my collection. I think I have only one of the big fat Drawn & Quarterlies and one of the "Showcases"... The Showcases were like one or two artists per book, right? And you are right about the little gems. Finding a great, knock-your-socks-off story in an anthology is the same feeling as like I described earlier.

I recently moved and put at least 90% of my comics in storage and brought everything that I haven't read with me. I have over 150 minis and floppies to read and probably like 30 or 40 trades/graphic novels. I buy them way faster than I read them. Its an addiction. So I am trying to avoid purchasing anything until I read what I have. Although I am having a hard time doing that.

Happy reading indie-user!!

Hahah, that's cool, that's exactly one of the things I really dig about Gabrielle Bell's work, when she "pulls the rug out" from underneath the reader, when you're expecting a "straight" autobio comic. And she's very good at it. It never seems stupid or contrived.

I love me some Laura Park, her craft level is insanely high. Fanta should collect all the stuff she did for MOME into a nice hardcover. There's some great stuff there. funnily enough she also uses autobio as a grounding for "flights of fancy"--like that comic she did about, basically having a more macabre version of The Borrowers living in her house. You never actually saw "them" and it gave the comic a nicely sinister edge. And I'm just a sucker for her art--absolutely beautiful. You know she illustrated a whole issue of Vice magazine once? Spot illos for every article and a couple of full and half-page illo's, black and white, really nice drawing. That reminds me of one of my favourite comics by her, it was in one of those floppy adHouse themed anthologies--Superior--it has a Roger Langridge cover, some Street Angel and a Dustin Harbin comic in there as well. I get the impression her story is autobio, about an Asian-American brother and sister, the brother gets into a fight at school, they go home (they're "latchkey kids"), sis makes dinner and then tells a story to comfort her brother, convincing him that he "squashed a penny flat" when he was younger by producing said penny...it doesn't sound like much but it has a real punch to it, a real emotional heft...just beautiful. I've been collecting her Uncivlized minicomic, Do Not Disturb My Waking Dream, that' like 70% autobio. Some of the stuff is more diary-like while other stories have a "finished" look to them...but, yeah, she's great. I prefer female autobio cartoonists to male, actually, it's kind of a pet theory of mine that women make better autobiographical work, on the whole.

(continued)

(continued)

I only have a handful (7 or 8, I think?) of the "original" D & Q anthology and four Showcases but I used to own almost all of the "original" stuff--I sold my collection in, I think '99?, only keeping a longbox of prized stuff and a couple of shelves of graphic novels and trades, I never stopped reading comics, just collecting them but in 2007 I started collecting again, re-buying everything that I'd sold, even the capeshit (I'll always have a soft spot for certain artists and runs) and making new additions. I got a couple of good lots on e-Bay, too, one time I was going nuts trying to find Dave Cooper's Weasel #4 and this guy had all five issues in a big lot with the semi-legendary issue of Taboo with "dogmen" Moebius cover and the first English translation of Eyes of the Cat--that was a right score. There was a bunch of old Fanta stuff in there and a full run of the first Mr. X, the Los Bros/Seth issues, I got it for a stupidly low price, too. God bless E-Bay, hey?! I kept all my 2000ad's, though--they're in cardboard boxes in the attic...

That art looks like shit.

Not enough tit n' lycra for you, user?

Fear Agent is the tale of one man's quest to reach new depths of suffering.