Can someone please explain to me with generous brevity the existence and meaning of this show?

Can someone please explain to me with generous brevity the existence and meaning of this show?

I enjoy it, but I don't know why. Is it some sort of social meta-modern commentary on America or does it genuinely require you to be within a high or delirious to enjoy it?

It seems to have a larger following within other boards but I'm curious as to what Sup Forums thinks.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=FYMEAOhsqWs
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

It's a show about a super-team of anthropomorphic food mascots that live in a rented house in New Jersey, and they have a boorish neighbor with an abrasive personality.

That's about it.

A realistic, down-to-earth show that's completely off-the-wall and swarming with magic robots.

Well, it was a considerable amount of time ago since the last time i watched it, but dunno OP, its just a good show. Maybe when it was on it was totally revolutionary, but i guess it is a strange guess.

It's very off the wall and random in the scenarios it presents, but it always treats them in a restrained sort of way. They know when enough is enough.

It's just funny, user. Like, actually funny.
Also freaking Carl is one of the best characters ever. That's why the series is so popular.

Carl is overrated
I said it, what are you going do about it

You're correct but that doesn't diminish my love for him.

If you've lived that kind of lifestyle, being a poor degenerate scum bag eking through life one day at a time while constructing this surreal delusional worldview in order to escape from the crushing existential depression that closes in around you constantly, this show just makes sense on all levels.

This, it's just a funny show. I've never really found it weird either like others do. It's just a bunch of fast food faggots doing weird shit next to their sleazy wise guy neighbor. Funny for it's simplicity. I really like Squidbillies and 12 oz Mouse for this too.

Literally my feelings towards Home Movies
There's something really relaxing and enjoyable but I don't know what it is exactly.
Also animation is shit and that usually bothers me but it's not the case with HM...'s weird

You're overthinking this OP.
Just sit back relax enjoy the show and just let your brain slowly rot like the rest of us.

you just like the humor. it's catered specifically to (you). Like seriously you. Teen-young adult males. Not to say I don't think it's easily one of adult swims best shows but I realize why I like it.

Absurdist humor that was the key show that best described Adult Swim's stoner comedy style whilst still being a great show without needed to use drugs to get it or being too out there compared to their other shows like Xavier.

Like Space Ghost, it was a show nobody remotely expected to be good but the writing, great banter, great voice acting and a plethora of enjoyable one-off/side characters made it memorable.

Just tilt you head back!

Perfect absurdist humor. There were so many times that it should have felt "LOLSORANDOM" but they never played it like that. The show just shrugged its shoulders and said "well that's a thing"
>You probably saw us in Vogue
>Well I wouldn't know about that
>Heidi Klum was on the cover... you know, The Broodwich Issue
>Alright, I saw it in Vogue

Lots of subtle conversations and really,really good delivery.

Half of Carl's lines are made by the delivery. Same reason people like Home Movies

If you're actually trying to analyze ATHF then you are doing it all wrong. All of it. Everything. Wrong. Doing it. Are you. In the first place.

>It's very off the wall and random in the scenarios it presents, but it always treats them in a restrained sort of way. They know when enough is enough.

Yes.

This. The comedy is good, but it's elevated to great because of the delivery. The voice actors are flawless.

YOUR EMERGENCY BRAKE IS ON!

By and large, the show is a parody of Hannah-Barbara's old phase of "Wacky Teenagers/Superheroes go on misadventures and solve mysteries". The team has super powers. Most episodes have a villain to thwart. And the gang must work together to defeat them. Except their powers are largely useless, the villains are mundane, and their efforts rarely reach a conclusion.

The difference is that it's significantly more nuanced than other shows like SeaLab2021, Space Ghost Coast to Coast, and Harvey Birdman: Attorney at Law because it doesn't actually reuse any assets from other shows; all material within it is original.

This is most evident by ATHF's inception on Space Ghost where they come onto the show as antagonists.

DON'T TELL ME HOW TO DRIVE, JACKASS.

This.
>tfw it got too real

>You read about this in VOGUE?!
>Our PR department is awesome.
>It just comes in the mail oka-
>Well of course it comes, when you ORDER it you BIG, FAT *LADY*!
>Hehehe! Someone down there's a girl!
>Everybody shut up about the Vogue thing!
>Aight, I'mma plant these bushes.

Exactly, man. The fact that Meatwad and Shake are way more interested in ribbing their friend for reading a woman's magazine than the literally Satanic sandwich they just unearthed is what really sells the scene.

>shrubs just start falling into the frame in the background

Fantastic

>The difference is that it's significantly more nuanced than other shows like SeaLab2021, Space Ghost Coast to Coast, and Harvey Birdman: Attorney at Law because it doesn't actually reuse any assets from other shows; all material within it is original.
Well now to be fair, they did recycle Megakat City background cells for Jersey City, at least initially. And Dr. Weird's lab's establishing shot is from Johnny Quest.

>that whole conversation between the other dimension guys.

>mfw Carl has a radio cameo in GTAV

youtube.com/watch?v=FYMEAOhsqWs

I think one of the key difference between ATHF and the other Adult Swim originals early on was that it was the only show to have a recurring rogue's gallery. Even if it was just because of the second season finale where the Mooninites hold a convention, most every memorable guest villain made at least a couple appearances on the show. After the movie they more or less abandoned those characters, but you'd still get surprises like Wong Burger returning. And then, of course, the actual final episode was another all-the-classic-villains tour de force.

The show was weird but the episodes had a logical progression behind them. A proper beginning, middle and end. Everything would go to hell by the time the credits hit, but you knew why.

the point is that there isn't one.

Have you ever hung out with a bunch of neurotic stoners? That's pretty much exactly what it's like, down to the "random gadget they got from fuck-knows-where and probably can't afford and is really quite dangerous" plotline.

There's nothing deep about it. It's just absurdist comedy that's as free-flowing as a podcast.

This episode never made sense to me.

Well you see, the water was infected. With FIRE.

They're a team of superhero detectives, that save hungry teens.

And are lazy pieces of shit that only did that for 1 episode.

>Original gets canceled and replaced with unit patrol squad to "get back to the detective roots"
>goes back to the wacky shit almost immediately
amazing.

I read this in shake's voice

Im about to throw a chair.

My question is: do you want this to be deep? If so, why? Its just a goofy show that can be enjoyed stoned or straight because its totally absurd. You are thinking too much into this.