What is the Sup Forums equivalent to Legend of the Galactic Heroes?

What is the Sup Forums equivalent to Legend of the Galactic Heroes?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=VVpRv6rC8RY
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

52, unless you're looking for something purely space-based.

Legion of Super Heroes?

Cerebus

Doom Patrol/Animal Man/Miracleman. Pretty solid upper tier patrician capeshit that is treated like a "secret club" on the board, and is treated as the absolute peak of the industry that no future work can surpass.

Annihilation.

Probably Metabarons or something within that vein.

>one of the most important and influential works of the entire medium
>nobody reads it because it's "too old" and "too long"
Correct.

Nothing. Even pales in comparison, because the epic nature of Cerebus is in the sheer volume of work produced and Gerhard's toppest of top tier environments. You'd be lying to yourself if you thought anything but choice selections of Cerebus were as well done as the entirety of LOGH.

-Maybe- Judge Dredd could compare, if you look past the sketchy first bit when it was still gestating. Usagi Yojimbo would also be in the running, along with a good portion of Grendel. If you say Morrison or Moore have produced anything that could compare, bullet yourself.

what's Sup Forums's equivalent to an overrated anime where the bad guys is actually good?
Fantastic 4

>>one of the most important and influential works of the entire medium
>logh
"lel"

>i haven't seen it but here's my shitty response

Not him but LoGH is neither important or influential. It's an oddity, a gem, but an abberation all the same. Name one thing even close to that of the tone and scale of LoGH or, to make things easier, something that has been clearly influenced.

Exo-Squad

Green Lantern

>Usagi Yojimbo would also be in the running, along with a good portion of Grendel.
indiefags are so fucking precious ahahahaha

Absolutely right.

>one of the grandest and most impressive works of the entire medium
>nobody reads it because it's "too long" and "too old"
Now it's correct.

Did the US release of LOGH ever fucking come out? About two years ago they announced they were putting the entire series out subbed, but never heard anything about a release date. Did the release date get scrubbed?

Just download it you fag.
>b-but I want to support
What all the dead seiyuu? It's all corporate now. All you'd be doing is funding their LoGH reboot, which will undoubtably be shit.

>morrison defense force, assemble!

Forget the seiyuu, I want to support the eiyuu.

I didn't say anything about Morrison you faggot.

I just realize how ridiculous it is to compare Usagi or Grendel to LOGH

Why?

The books are coming out, at least.

large number of fans of the medium need to actually give a shit about the work to equate to LOGH.

Few indie books will meet the qualifications, like it or not.

LOGH is important for reasons you glossed over. Having it copied or homaged by some other show means nothing in regards to how important something is. Are you familiar with the OVA era? They did the impossible and released 110 episodes, AS AN OVA, with consistent quality the whole way through. Once LOGH wrapped up you no longer had that era of OVA dominance because the financing was impossible to maintain and that whole side of anime production basically ceased aside from surefire properties like Gundam.

It's one of the highlight achievements of an entire era of anime, both in quality and the sheer madness behind how it was actually made and distributed. Not many shows can have something like that.

>Judging works based on their reception and fandom instead of inherent qualities of the works

STAR TREK TAS youtube.com/watch?v=VVpRv6rC8RY

Every download I find of it is raw, no subs

Sure but just as you say. It bookended an era. It had no influence because all the lessons weren't replicable. It was a good series, as I've previously stated, but not important. Were it never made nothing would have changed.

So name one, genius. You're throwing together some arbitrary rules already, let's hear what you would consider the Sup Forums analogue to LoGH.

Super Dimension Fortress Macross is one.

>fans of the medium
Why are you pretending to care about the entire medium when you believe that only two publishers and one genre matter?

Let me translate that last part to what you really meant, "I'm going to call it shit no matter what it comes out like because I'm not going to watch it"

logh is not emblematic of the OVA boom just because it existed when it doesn't have the characteristic visual excess or stylings. it's a power point.

It's not incredibly important or influential, it's just a niche show that's incredibly popular on Sup Forums

Why? Because it isn't relegated to cours? It was made on the fly without a main story to hold it and was about mecha.

While the militaristic themes and respectful approach to content are the same the overall tone is extremely different. For starters it follows a main protaganist and concerns itself overly with romance, two things that LoGH doesn't do. Yes it contained romance, before you start, but the interest was always what the implications would be in all but a few instances.

>I'm going to call it shit no matter what it comes out like because I'm not going to watch it
I'll watch it so I can shit post. Same thing with the FLCL sequel. Both projects disgust me. Best case I'll be pleasantly surprised. Worst case I will shitpost so hard that other potential victims will be dettered from watching the wreck that is sure to come. No need to thank me.

>incredibly popular on Sup Forums
It really isn't though. Every thread is just the same small group of dedicated fans rehashing the same old discussions that they always have.

LOGH's influence was biggest on light novels, and helped to legitimize the format as adaptable to anime. If you liked watching FMP's anime adaptations, you have LOGH to thank. You can't have a more direct influence than something that basically pioneered an entire media format.

It's incredibly popular relative to what it is

indie fans numbers are too small to matter, sorry

we both know you'd dismiss it as capeshit so what's the point?

There are long running series that are looked back on as masterpieces by large numbers of comic fans that were largely an aberration of the time from the Big Two that qualify though

No its because it fucking blows

This is a much better argument. I don't read enough LNs to know my care about their history to an appropriate level so I cannot verify what you've said.

It is interesting though.

Oh don't worry, no one would dream of thanking you for shitposting for the sake of shitposting and your shit opinion being completely irrelevant and easily written off.
You being a raging pissant isn't going to be the driving or stopping force of any series' success.

Still waiting for you to nominate your own Sup Forums equivalent.

>we both know you'd dismiss it as capeshit so what's the point?
So what if your suggestion gets shot down? Will it really hurt your feelings that much to be met with any disagreement?

At least everyone else in this thread had the courage to offer their own suggestions, even knowing full well that they'd be met with boundless negativity from the likes of you.

>posting on Sup Forums
>doesn't know the hellboy effect
LoGH is pretty popular. Most people who are into the hobby will watch it. A few avoid it and the others are just SnK/SAO shitters and aren't really considered to be (people or) a part of the hobby.

>I'm taking my ball and going home!
Neat! It's cool that you can shit on other people's opinions but are far too self-conscious to even humor the idea of putting yours out there.

You asked for what it influenced, not for what copied it.

Yeah but where was the influence? I don't see evidence of the SDF crew having been affected by LoGH. Plenty of mecha anime are longer.

The Hellboy Effect is a myth. Every single week there are new comics released that Sup Forums loves, and their threads are filled to the limit. It doesn't happen for Hellboy because Hellboy fans are more vocal than they are numerous.

>the empire
>bad guys

Trunicht pls

What, in your opinion, makes this the equivalent of that?

You say that but I've seen the phenomena in other instances. Further, those instances have had cases where the breadth of the fanbase became apparent on a few rare occasions.
Lain used to be a textbook case of Hellboy effect. Sadly now it's in vogue to shit post about it but either way there is a lot of traffic and quite frankly, a large base of fans.

Actually LoGH is cited by a lot of japanese writers as having been an influence on their work. Specifically referring to the novels, not the anime.

No, but the first 2 volumes of the novels are out and the third is coming soon.

long-running series
aberration of the time (Infinite Crisis seems pretty polarizing as either a great event or needlessly edgy, and it was followed by Amazons Attack and Countdown)
looked back on by fans, at least of capeshit, as a truly great series
it's even based entirely around B-listers so its popularity can't be pinned on Batman or Superman

To me, it's a masterpiece of a series that stood out in spite of lots of odds stacked against it

Novels are very much a different subject when we're discussing influence on western cartoons in contrast to anime.

I know the book is popular though.

bakabt, BD rips. Central-Anime sub group.

Wait... SDF Macross aired a month before LOGH's first novel was published. I'm not understanding how an influence can be created here, and I certainly can't imagine that pop music, love triangles, and non-sequitor plot progression is going to be comparable to a literal fictional history book.

Third volume came out just this week.

I've read the first 2 novels, and honestly the anime is more or less just the novels in animated form.

>SDF Macross aired a month before LOGH's first novel was published
Then user was talking shit. Good fact checking.

>long-running series
Not really, and I question your experience with comics if you think this to be the case.

>aberration of the time (Infinite Crisis seems pretty polarizing as either a great event or needlessly edgy, and it was followed by Amazons Attack and Countdown)
Are "event comics" all that you know about the time period?

>looked back on by fans, at least of capeshit, as a truly great series
Not unique at all. There are dozens (maybe hundreds) of great cape comics.

>it's even based entirely around B-listers so its popularity can't be pinned on Batman or Superman
So it's unlike LoGH, which was more about the A-listers of the LoGH universe.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA he actually posted a Morrison written title after claiming not to be triggered by shit talking Morrison

Holy fuck, you win this thread

I'm convinced that most people who like LoGH never finished it.

Me included, I only got to Yang's death

>There are long running series that are looked back on as masterpieces by large numbers of comic fans that were largely an aberration of the time from the Big Two that qualify though

LEGION

OF

SUPER

HEROES

You have like 20 episodes left, just finish it.

based Polar Boy

I will, eventually

>one of four writers
whatever you say, champ

granted, it would probably pain people to admit the others wrote something so great even more than it would to admit Morrison is actually good so :^)

Why would it pain me to say that Rucka wrote a good female lead noir style story? It's the one thing he's good at.

The ending was really well balanced and appropriate for the series. I would suggest watching it, it remained true to the divorced observational nature of the show and REALLY gets fucking crazy at the end. It actually made it extra sad to see it end, because you're left pondering how in the fuck the next day would look in that universe.

Bitch I finished the movies, the entire series, and the Gaiden stuff. Just waiting for each volume of the novels to come out. I'd have read the mangas too but I have no clue if there are any scanlations, and besides, I hate reading manga on a computer.

God damn, the Morrison Defense Force has to be the saddest and most delusional lot on Sup Forums. Your meta-writing god can't even rise above the silly classic She-Hulk 4th wall breaking moments in terms of cleverness. And that's literally his whole schtick!

Amazon says the third is out, and the fourth is on preorder.

>tfw no ship named after Aztec god