Is this film too iconic for its own good? Don't get me wrong, I adore it, but whenever I watch it...

Is this film too iconic for its own good? Don't get me wrong, I adore it, but whenever I watch it, I find it more comfy than scary or disturbing, and I'm not saying that to be edgy. It's just so familiar at this point.

That's proof that it's a special movie. Even when you're over all the scary stuff, there's still so much to like about it. I think it's secretly the greatest movie ever made.

> iconic

We're celebrating icons now?

> I think it's secretly the greatest movie ever made.

Does the fact that it's based on a shitty stephen king book devalue the movie at all for you?

I'd agree on this. It has everything I want from a horror movie without all the byproducts that make them worse, which makes it accessible to even those who dislike horror movies. Kubrick is so fucking great.

Not him but I don't care about things like that. If the film is great it doesn't matter if the source material is shit (not saying it is) and if the film is shit it doesn't matter if the source material is excellent.

Jacks hairline makes me uncomfortable everytime I watch it now because I noticed my hair start to thin this year. Send help.
Does rogaine work

No, considering Kubrick's adaptation shits all over King's book. So much so that King went off and made his own little version.

So this is one of my favorite movies as well, but I have a serious question, and since this thread isn't full of memes and the usual bullshit, I figured it'd be a good time to ask. I'm kind of drunk though so hopefully this makes sense.

You know how there's lots of "mysteries" about this film? Like, why Jack was in the photo at the end, etc, that people have been theorizing for decades. Did Stanley Kubrick actually know the answer, or were these things just as vague in his mind as everybody else's?

I'm 24 and I have a thin spot at the back of my head so I just shaved it off (first time I ever did it), it doesn't even bother me now. Just own it.

I'm 26 and literally had the same thing happen around that time and reacted the same way. One day in the mirror I realized the hair on the top of my head wasn't as thick as elsewhere.

>but whenever I watch it, I find it more comfy than scary or disturbing
I don't know user. I mean part of it is comfy, I mean you have a whole hotel to yourself and snowy weather outside, and until jack goes nuts anyway.
But even still I find the tension and suspense to still be effective.

It took me years to 'get it'.

>I'm ripping on King so I can fit in
King's book had a red VW, Kubrick made it yellow. When Dick sees that broken down semi truck there is a crushed red VW under it. That's really all you need to know.

>I'm ripping on King so I can fit in

Oh shut up, faggot. Kubrick's Jack Torrance made the movie. I admit I didn't read the entire book, but it was shit.

The only good stuff I'm read from King was The Bachman Books.

Not really. It elevates the source material and isn't worried about being slavish to the books.

The Shining isn't a very good movie at all.

Elaborate

An actor has never stolen the show from Stanley Kubrick, you'd be foolish to disagree. I would suggest his Nightshift stories.

I'm sure he would have known. Everything in The Shining makes sense, just like 2001. He just didn't like to share his thoughts on his movies.

I realised this at 24. I'd rather have no hair than half. Unless I got cast as a spoopy clown in a movie.

Let's hear it.

>An actor has never stolen the show from Stanley Kubrick
I don't know about that Ermy was basically the first half of fullmetal jacket.

I have to agree, the movie becomes sort of tedious to watch after Ermy dies

It's ineffective at what it attempts to do and is utterly without any semblance of depth. "Jack go crazy" is what it all boils down to.

It's one of those movies that's esteemed because of who made it and its ingrained stature. If it was released today, you'd shit on it, as would audiences.

>I never watched full metal jacket

Hartmann stole it. Just watch the movie and then spew what passes for an opinion out of your cheeto hole

>2nd half of FMJ is boring

I'm talking about Jack Torrance the actor, not Jack Nicholson the actor. The fact that he made him unhinged from the beginning and everything that came with that, rather than your every-man being possessed by le haunted house helped make the film so good.

He was crazy from the start in the movie. At least that's what made it make sense to me.

>without any semblance of depth

> Jack Torrance the actor.

Fuck. Meant Jack Torrance the character.

>based on a Stephen King novel and film starts with a rendition of a mass requiem
Gee I wonder if this film is going to be a horror. You're way out of your depth kiddo.

Felt dull to me instead of creepy. It just never convinced me of any impending danger (and also I didn't give two shits about the boy or the mother). As for horror masterpiece, that goes to Alien.

The movie is as much about what Jack had been up to before arriving at the Overlook as it was the events in the hotel.

>and also I didn't give two shits about the boy or the mother
that's what Stanley wants because humans are sick and we side with Jack and feel bad for Alex DeLarge

Exactly, and I'm saying that's why it's superior to Stephen King's shitty generic haunted house book.

>we side with jack

Well, he is the only one with a bit of character

You need to get over Shelly Duvall, she's perfect for the film and actually used to scare me a bit.

>used to scare me

That's the thing, what is there to be scared of in The Shining? The hotel itself is too enigmatic to be scary, Jack is only a deranged human and the rest is just mindfuck.

Well, it wouldn't be a generic haunted house story with a ghost trying to seduce the main character, now would it? Ohh.. right. Stephen King probably wrote like 5 good novels in his bibliography and the Shining is arguably one of the better ones. Kubrick fucked around so much with the basic infrastructure of the plot you end up not really caring about anything. Torrance is sinister from the beginning. Duvall is cowed and shrill the entire film. Danny is an autistic little weirdo who talks with his finger. I enjoyed watching it but the balls of some of these anons to say he elevated the source material. He even ended the movie with the most hackneyed, campfire twist you can get. HE WAS DESTINED TO BE THE CARETAKER THE WHOLE TIME... WHOOOO-OOO

Yeah I used to be a child. If horror still scares you after the age of 13 and that's how you rate them as films you have problems my man.

check your blood pressure

not an argument :^)

>arguing against those digits
I can't : (

>horror movies always use excessive darkness
>this film lighting is even excessive sometimes since it's a fucking hotel

what did Kubrick mean by this

>can't sincerely talk about the movie and book Shinings since Anons are too assblasted about King hating the president on twatter
Damn shame.

Fuck are you talking about? I don't give a fuck about american politics, and people have even been listing some of King's books that they like. Get your politics talk out of here yourself, faggot.

You're the only one to bring this up.

He had an idea and his own personal answer but he just didn't want to ruin it for people
He would on occasion slip up and reveal his answer to casually
I think it's commonly thought the hotel absorbed Jack back into it because in a cut scene they mention not finding the body

I whole heartedly disagree. The second half is every bit as good as the first. The only difference is you don't have Ermy as an antagonist chewing scenery.

do you know how to read greentext, time to go back

I don't think it's scary but I think it's an excellent horror film.

Name one Kubrick character that you care about. It's deliberately not his thing.