Just watched one episode after years of not watching anything South Park. Is the show legit not funny anymore...

Just watched one episode after years of not watching anything South Park. Is the show legit not funny anymore? Maybe it was never funny but I can't be bothered to check since I don't care enough to watch another episode.

It's really gone downhill if you look at the entire 20 year history, mostly because the political satire has gone way too far compared to the first 4 seasons.

>See member berries
>Literally non stop "REMEMBER STAR WARS STUFF"

>The point
>Your head

>Maybe it was never funny
New seasons are just shit.

It hasn't been funny since the 90's. It's a lot easier to write about something you saw in the headlines than to come up with original, funny jokes. Trey Parker keeps all his good shit for other projects, like the book of mormon.

So are you saying that out of the 20 seasons, only seasons 1,2 and 3 are funny? Because those are the only seasons of the 90s and that's when it relayed on shock and toilet humor.

Absolutely not. Season 3 was shit. 1 and 2 were nuanced, unique and had you been alive during that time you'd understand that it got big for a reason.

They toned down a lot of character traits for some reason and now the characters are not as cliche and in your face anymore which is kinda bad for the humor.

They also have horrible running gags now which are already overused the second time they're used but they go on and on and on.

I somehow feel like the creators don't want the series to become stagnant and to rely always on the same jokes but sometimes I look at south park and the characters seem to be parodies of themselves at best nowadays. They just don't feel like the characters they used to be.

Season 19 was good. Season 20 is garbage.

South Park was always hit and miss nothing new here.

Yeah, Matt and Trey used to know when to stop a running gag or a catchphrase that wasn't working, like how they had Kenny dying less frequently. But now every episode has references to previous episodes it doesn't need. Season 18 was the worst as they were presented as jokes but were just characters mentioning something that happened in the previous episode. This season is pretty bad as well. The Member Berries should have been a one episode thing. They are even referencing the same things over and over. Caitlyn Jenner should have been dropped this season, the troll plot should have been a three-parter and even that is stretching it. The genderwars topic should have been left out entirely.

It kind of has.
>4 running plot threads with very little interaction, possibly deliberately so. (Ex. Stan being absent when Randy memes all over the dinner table)
>The decision to use a proxy character in place of Trump, but not for anyone else, causes some dissonance in the jokes taking place.
>Deciding to have the Adults push the kids into moving forward the story, instead of the reverse.
>Breaking established characterization over the course of many years to serve the plot (Butters does not become very defiant unless directly inspired/manipulated into doing so, and Cartman has been known to ruin lives for much, MUCH less than what was done to him.)
>The story, in an attempt to be serious, skips several cheap shots that it would have done in earlier seasons (two examples include Having just Token smashing Cartman's stuff, or having the cases gas the Jew(s)
>The way the show re-runs itself will make this season particularly difficult to watch. Watching just one of the middle episodes of this season within a "Best of SP" re-run a few years from now will merely lead to confusion if you haven't watched season 20 before.

Yeah that they toned down the completely episodic contained story approach kinda sucks.

19 was great, 20 is complete shit

running plot threads with very little interaction, possibly deliberately so. (Ex. Stan being absent when Randy memes all over the dinner table)

Holy shit I didn't even notice.

Season 21 better be all about the kids, I'm tired of Randy and Mr Garrison. Gerald is not as annoying since this is the first time he has been relevant for a long time but I hope he goes back to the background along with all the adults.

where the fuck is Kenny ?

I saw an episode from season 20 after not watching the show in maybe 4-5 years. It was about the same honestly. I've always had a love-hate relationship with South Park. It's borderline genius/dumbshit.

It's trying so hard to be relevant and make jokes about today's issues that nothing comes from the characters or character-driven storytelling. Which, you know, is the exact shit they accused Family Guy of.

That, and their humor is basically taking complex, unfolding situations and oversimplifying them for the sake of comedy. It used to be skewering things or ridiculing stuff in extreme fashion, but... I honestly can't remember the last time the show made me laugh, or even shocked me. I feel nothing watching it.

The game was pretty funny but mostly because it referenced all the good shit from the golden days. It also shocked quite a lot since there were so many things in it that were never done before in video games.

>References are comedy

Hate this shit. The game didn't make me smile once apart from the canada segment. Book of mormon had me laughing out loud though.

If someone started watching South Park this season they wouldn't even know who he is. He hasn't had a single line and only had background appearances.

Well it burn them good because they framed all of Season 20 on Hillary winning and with Trump's victory they have fuck up bot previous episodes and future episodes.

I think Balls Jumping was like their old material but not close enough, they need to get it back around the kids like a good bit of season 19 did with the PC stuff.

That's why South Park continuity should have been it's own thing, separate from our real world(or just not have it at all). Matt and Trey relied too much on our world for their jokes, way too much.

There isn't anything wrong with them using a few references here and there(the Mel Gibson one comes to mind and earlier season jokes) but making a whole season rely on our current events so damn closely as they have been is a detriment.

The Obama Heist was fucking awesome. It was mirroring the real world, but then it took this wierd and funny turn.

Current season is just....blegh

I quite like what I've seen of that pc principal character, but I've never watched the series properly.

Anyone waiting for that Swedish guy to turn out to be the trollface?

I just don't understand how they thought it was a good idea to drag it out like this. The troll joke would be good for a two parter tops, Member berries should have been a single episode and the getting off facebook should have been it's own episode/thing

Just had sex for one session after years of not having sex. Is the act legit not great anymore? Maybe it was never great but I can't be bothered to check since I don't care enough to hook up with my ex.

>compares sex to a TV show
Whatever point you are trying to make is lost in the stupid of your analogy.

Both bring pleasure in your brain

Do you think we could make a Sup Forums selections of episodes ?

The newest season is definitely the weakest ever.

So does food, sunlight, a summer breeze, a good rest and many more things but they all have different variables, attachments and expectations.

Again, share what your issue is plainly because as it stands you sound like a virgin or someone that's sex life is as boring as sitting in front to f the TV.

That is a fantastic idea
Post movie:
Cripple Fight
All About Mormons
Good Times with Weapons
Awesom-O

HMm

If you tried to understand what I posted, you'd perhaps be more successful than trying to appear smart posting quotes that inspirate you and using ad hominems to make your opposition look bad which in turn only show you how inept person you are seeking validation from a bunch of anons who probably won't even follow this discussion since they came to this thread seeking to talk about the good old times of South Park and how it has changed to worse.

So you think comparing your sex life to a cartoon is a fair comparison?
also nice projection about validation their senpai

Here's my batch for S1, 2 and 3
"Cartman Gets an Anal Probe"
"Weight Gain 4000"
"Starvin' Marvin"
"Mecha-Streisand"

"Conjoined Fetus Lady"
"Summer Sucks"
"Roger Ebert Should Lay Off the Fatty Foods"
"Cow Days"
"Gnomes"
"Prehistoric Ice Man"

"Rainforest Shmainforest"
"Jakovasaurs"
"Tweek vs. Craig"
"Jewbilee"
"Chinpokomon"
"Hooked on Monkey Fonics"
"Starvin' Marvin in Space"
"The Red Badge of Gayness"
"Mr. Hankey's Christmas Classics"

S3 is based

The validation bit was just an educated guess. If that didn't hit the mark, the only other choice is you're just a massive prick who enjoys showing his/her superiority to other people which again leads to problems of insecurity.

I don't see why you couldn't compare sex to cartoons, I'm pretty laid-back about connecting different things to different things since it just comes naturally to me. I do realize sex might've not been the most correct choice to pick here, as it raises big emotions especially amongst people who have been raised to mystify it, or who are just insecure about it. I do see you're a victim of your own conceptions about sex which seem to be misleading you a lot, so I can forgive you for not instantly getting what I meant with my post.

>>etc...
please fuck off to /soc/ or whatever

> I'm pretty laid-back about connecting different things to different things
really? not just same things with same things?
Sex wasn't the right choice because it's not an entertainment good for a half hour block of TV, all the same you still haven't made clear what your point was with because sex is different for everybody,Person A goes home to bang a petite Asian qt, Person B goes home to bang a big black woman. South Park is the same show regardless who views it so a question of it's quality as new seasons come make sense as opposed to sex where your lack of interest could come from having a worse partner now then in the past, bagging the same girl for a decade or just not being a good performer anymore. Thus why you post was so pointless and stupid, it could mean just about anything.

No matter what you think of the politics and the references, the real problem is the episodic stuff drove a huge portion of the comedy and its all gone. It's not like they're not capable of long stuff but I guess they can't manage a 4 hour season in 20 minute bursts.

Agreed
Most of season 20 is just telling us what has been happening in politics, they have already done great commentaries on US elections but if they absolutely wanted to cover this one they should have had the elections between students for class presidency or something, have Bebe vs Stuart McCormick (becuase as an adult he has no business being there as well as his red neck nature would be a fun commentary on how media saw Trump voters)
But no, we got Hillary vs not Trump for 7 episodes with a play by play of it with no fun take on the events

Y'know it's a bit weird because usually Sup Forums sucks SP's fetid cock and calls everyone who doesn't enjoy it stupid.

Seasons 15-18 were seen as poor in Sup Forums's eyes
Season 19 was seen as a return to form. Season 20 was a mix bag till the election didn't turn the way the writers assumed thus the whole season is awkward and makes no sense.

trump destroyed south park

it's all his fault

stupid writers that got way to involved in modern events destroyed South Park

What was even going to happen?

Season 20 was building up on three plots.
1. The internet troll plot- Gerald was trolling the internet to great extremes and got a Danish athlete to kill herself (or so he thinks some think the whole thing is a huge ruse) this lead to Denmark to start creation Trolltrace a super network that could trace and identify any and all internet activity and make it public for all to read, this was building up to Clinton winning where she would make a deal with Denmark to giving the trolls to them in exchange to not activating troll trace in fear of it effecting her future as president. Hillary not becoming president makes the build up pointless, Denmark would have to reason to accept the terms of a now over glorified civilian and Hillary has no reason to fear the Trolltacer program now because she has nothing to lose. Thus this plot has a huge snag in the middle.
2. Boys verse girls- simply put the rise of gender distopia at the South Park Elementary is at it's worse and is basically being divided as a boys vs girls throw down getting worse each episode. It's painfully clear that the plan was with Hillary taking office it was to show that a dark time was casting over men being placed in fear of the now women in control. But with the most male ego driven womanizing business man cliche being brought to power this plot falls apart and even with Bill's speech to Butters being rewritten that Hilary would still be a threat just out of anger of losing falls flat now at the fact that Hillary has all but rolled over to the loss she took.
3. Member Berries- while shaken this is the only plot that might finished close to as plan. Basically the conspiracy is that JJ Abrams is trying to control the world though nostalgia and is using hypnotic fruit to do so, it was framed around the Trump would lose however and the Berries would activate "Plan B" which is the body snatchers level of plot we saw in the November 9th episode.

>Bebe vs Stuart McCormick
If this all happen 6 or more years ago that's exactly what they would have done it's a damn shame they have lost any sense of talent or agency of their show and just 1 for 1 current events.

I wish they would stop making a single plot span across the entire season. I'd rather the show go back to being episodic with the occasional two-parter or trilogy mixed in.

I watched on episode on youtube because I was curious about their reaction to the election... The kids don't even sound like kids anymore.

They should have just went with the Clinton plotline if all build up was done for it. They could even capitalize on the idea that they fucked up predicting the election. Changing the ending of your storyline just because it won't be coherent with the real life event it's parody off is just showing how much South Park is a hostage of references at this point instead of being it's own thing primarily .

The issue is that would tune out most viewers on both sides. Those that want topical humor will be annoyed by the Hillary president bit and would question if the creators had just gone full butthurt and be in that "Not muh president" thus tune them out. Those that want the more random and improv style of the show would be tuned out that the creators are basically like any other show that just runs a plot through even if it feels dated off or wrong later on.
They should have just pulled a bait and switch again( Cartman's dad prank) and taken a week to look over the plot.

The whole election plot is just bad. It's obvious that Matt and Trey are out of touch with the average voter. Oddly enough in hindsight last season was spot on with the Canadian Trump.

Other episodes of season 19 especially about anything about PC are in hindsight a little off. Jokes about people being overly accepting of homosexuals now fall flat as there is a gay marriage opposing, gay conversion therapy supporting VP. Can't say people are overly PC with the opposite of PC in the white house.

I didn't like the gender wars plot at all this season except for the mass break up scene. The whole thing of women ruling over men plot because of a Hillary sounds incredibly stupid and now that she lost they should just drop the thing.

boys vs girls plot is a good commentary on how the genders are basically all out attacking each other over what a few trolls say on the internet. It's the only plot point that feels like older seasons.

I think this is wrong. Sometimes they should just be shocking and anti mainstream opinion just for the sake of it like in the past.

>Sometimes they should just be shocking and anti mainstream opinion
Hillary being president rather then Trump is very mainstream. Anti mainstream would have been to avoid the election all together or like posted and make it something very nonissue that can rib on all the stupid of the campaign without it getting dated as fuck.

Shit started steadily going downhill after the WoW episode. In my honest opinion, I think it should've ended with the movie.

>Was funny the first time
>Not funny enough to keep bringing back every single fucking episode

This. Shit was humorous and the berries were something that greatly represent us and our desire to see a return to an era of better quality and original ideas that weren't just reboots or bastardizations. But after that it was just a lame ass running joke that lost all meaning.

It's changed. It's less comedy and more political now.

I still like the new season, I fucking love how sweet Cartman's relationship is. They quite obviously don't start out together, and they get into a really cute relationship without a fuckload of drama (but I guess that's coming, knowing Cartman). Anyone know other cartoons that pull off sweet relationships like that? I always loved Joker and Harley, but that's another relationship that's sort of broken.

They are implying there is some aganeda in Cartman's actions. Personally I think this is just going to end in ruin to break him back to normal.

Who's that? The main 5 kids are Kyle, Stan, Cartman, Heidi, and Butters.

FYI pretty much everything SP has been doing for years is making shitty references or plots based on current events that will be dated as fuck in a decade. Even now shit from 5 seasons ago is dated as fuck and goes over the heads of many who don't bother to remember such superficial shit. SP should've just stuck with chronicling the asinine misadventures of a small town of crazy idiots where freaky shit happens instead of trying to go global and constantly bringing up trending shit or blatant commentary and current retarded issues people don't want to be reminded of when watching a fucking cartoon.

I can list two reasons why Season 20 ended up the way it did:
1). Everything that was praised about Season 19 got overdone in Season. Now, instead of episodes that, while having strong continuity, still could be enjoyed as episodes of their own and each had their own themes, we have episodes that only exist to continue the themes of the previous episodes. Instead of just spraying in some dramatic elements into the episodes, we have a dramady. It seems that Parker and Stone this season thought that all people wanted were the changes of the status quo Season 19 brought, not the combination of the status quo changes and the elements that stayed the same.
2). All the decisions Parker and Stone have made regarding the show catches up to them this season. Garrison was made the stand in for Trump in Season 19 so they had to continue his subplot or face a backlash for a perceived "cop-out" from the subplot. Their increasing topical-ness meant they had to do multiple episodes about this election or be criticized for not covering everything about the election. They couldn't do a class president subplot because of both the Garrison problem and the fact they already had done two episodes using the class president facade to parody the presidential election. They couldn't do an alternate history Clinton wins plot or be called pussies for not being brave enough to try to entirely rewrite their planned ending to fit Trump's win. Even if the latter one was kinda their fault for drinking the Clinton kook aid too much without realizing that Trump might win, Parker and Stone were nonetheless backed into a corner this season.

Thank you Captain Hindsight for telling it like it is.

Almost everything in media is more political and that's what sucks. Movies, television, books, comics, cartoons of all categories are steeped in politics and are used by the creators as a soapbox for whatever shit they want to spew. Even characters are nothing but political bait with no real development or just making them more "progressive" as a substitute for real character development and good storytelling. This is nothing but an endless stream of bullshit and now that these moronic new age hollywood, sjw and lib fucks are so triggered by the presidential election that they'll devote even more effort into make all media 100% political to make sure the masses always agree with them on everything. I might as well just stick to Sup Forums at this point since unlike in the west, japanese mangos have a wide range of differing viewpoints that lead to real storytelling rather than serving as soapbox shit 99% of the time. Vidya both east and west is a lost cause though.

TL;DR: political shit, modern liberalism and political correctness suck.

Actaully in fairness they have a lot that are great without context
That's what makes these new episodes so awful, there is no redeeming qualities

I won't disagree with you there. Even some of those older episodes that were based on current issues were so absurd that you didn't really need to know what happened at the time when that episode aired. But for the last few seasons that shit just can't survive outside of the time period they aired in because they're not subtle in the slightest and are blatant as fuck.

Current season is even worse because it was going as far as writing it like Clinton won, mean that when she lost the whole damn season becomes dated 4 months in its creation.

Here's the bonafide certified list of GOAT episodes, per Season

>1) Cartman Gets an Anal Probe, Weight gain 4000, Pinkeye, Mr. Hankey The Christmas Poo, Starvin Marvin, Mecha Streisand, Cartman's Mom is a Dirty Slut
>2) Cartman's Mom is Still a Dirty Slut, Conjoined Fetus Lady, Summer Sucks, Roger Ebert Should Lay Off the Fatty Foods, Spookyfish, Merry Christmas, Charlie Manson!, Gnomes
>3) Rainforest Shmainforest, Jakovasaurs, Tweek vs. Craig, The Meteor Shower trilogy, Korn's Groovy Pirate Ghost Mystery, Chinpokomon, Hooked on Monkey Fonics, Starvin' Marvin in Space, World Wide Recorder Concert
>4) Timmy 2000, Cartman Joins NAMBLA, Chef Goes Nanners, Something You Can Do With Your Finger, 4th Grade, Trapper Keeper, Helen Keller: The Musical,
>5) It Hits The Fan, Cripple Fight, Super Best Friends, Scott Tenorman Must Die, Cartmanland, Proper Condom Use, Towelie, Osama Bin Laden Has Farty Pants, The Entity, Here Comes the Neighborhood, Kenny Dies, Butter's Very Own Episode
>6) Asspen, The New Terrance and Phillip Movie Trailer, Professor Chaos, Simpsons Already Did It, Red Hot Catholic Love, Child Abduction Is Not Funny, A Ladder To Heaven, The Return of the Fellowship of the Ring to the Two Towers, The Death Camp of Tolerance
>7) Cancelled, Krazy Kripples, I'm a Little Bit Country, Lil' Crime Stoppers, Red Man's Greed, Christian Rock Hard, Casa Bonita, All About Mormons,
>8) Good Times with Weapons, The Passion of the Jew, You Got F'd in the A, Awesom-O, Goobacks, Something Wall-Mart This Way Comes, Quest for Ratings, Woodland Critter Christmas
>9) Die, Hippie, Die, Best Friends Forever, The Losing Edge, Two Days Before the Day After Tomorrow, Ginger Kids, Trapped in the Closet, Free Willzyx,
>10) The Return of Chef, Cartoon Wars, ManBearPig, Make Love, Not Warcraft, Go God Go, Stanley's Cup

>11) With Apologies to Jesse Jackson, More Crap
>12)Britney's New Look, Canada on Strike, Over Logging, The China Probrem, Elementary School Musical,
>13) The Coon, Pee
>14) You Have 0 Friends, 200/201,
>15) You're Getting Old/Ass Burgers,
>16) Faith Hilling, Raising the Bar, A Nightmare on Face Time
>17) World War Zimmerman, Black Friday Trilogy
>18) Freemium Isn't Free, I guess if I had to choose one
>19) Stunning and Brave, Where My Country Gone, Safe Space, Tweek X Craig, Sponsored Content, Truth and Advertising, PC Principal Final Justice
>20) Skank Hunt

Seasons 3 and 5 are best IMO

Shit load of good shit.

Small handful of shit per season that could easily be perceived as either good or decent.

Oh how the mighty have fallen.

Let's be real, the last episode that took 2 weeks to air, was overall pretty disappointing, because you knew it was gonna be rushed.
South Park overall still has a good amount of funny scenes.
I really enjoyed the Bill and Bill's gentleman club scene.
but it was strange the direction they took with memberberries and Caitlyn Gener.
I do agree with the whole "The episodes should go back to boys being boys" but I don't dislike the satirical political shit.
The member berries has run the course, but I was a little disappointed to not see the little memberberries in their tiny car in last week's episode.

>I really enjoyed the Bill and Bill's gentleman club scene.
That shit was just dull as fuck. Just two oldfags being portrayed older and weaker than usual while singing a really dull as fuck song.

people complaining about south park are just pissed they dont like Trump

essentially your triggered by them

Was Season 19 the one with the Pewdiepie episodes? Because those were probably the worst episodes of all time, they lacked any humour and instead of having Trey voice a South Park version of Pewdiepie, they got the faggot TO PLAY HIMSELF, live action, with no satirization

I can't believe Matt & Trey are still passionate enough to work on this show.

That's the suprise here.

Personally I just think the season-long story format doesn't work for me.

It's fashionable to do season-long stories but it means that story points are repeated over and over and over and over and over again and everything is stretched thin.

I used to know fhat if this week's episode was bad the next episode would be different. Now I know all the episodes are going to be similar.

Agreed. However they seem to be experimenting a lot so prehapes that's the cost of that creative freedom is we get bad seasons where things didn't work out. That or they are just trying to go for ratings.