It's a DnD episode

>it's a DnD episode

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=z3FZnD21iO0
youtube.com/watch?v=GBMyZ4cQsSo
youtube.com/watch?v=hJAGxAeV7YU
youtube.com/watch?v=Mr09q7tS4Sg
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>It's a "The writers never played DnD but they are 'nerdy' so they think they can just get it right but they totally fuck it up anyways." episode.

>It's a let's spend the whole episode laughing at the nerd instead of actually adapting the nerdy things we claim to be fans of

I have never seen a TV show, whether in cartoon land or meat space, where dungeon and dragons was played correctly.

You know, now that I think of it even movies that claim to celebrate DnD players seem to go out of the way to make the players look like assholes.

I think Recess came a bit close compared to others

>Dungeons & Dragons episode.
>Everything is based on recent Hollywood fantasy movies.

Community seemed accurate enough.

Stranger Things? I suppose you don't see much actual gameplay but from what I know the series understands the lore rather well.

This trigger the /tg/

Fun Fact: the the GF dnd episode, the RS dnd episode, and some of the elements of Adventure Time were inspired by the same DnD games that the flapjack crew would play

>He hasn't seen all of Community
Pity this poster.

>See the Dexter episode
>Find the game fascinating
>Get all the books
>Get bored halfway through the DM guide
>Give up
>Don't have any friend to play with anyway
>mfw

Stranger things captured the vibe of a bunch of 12 year olds playing D&D pretty well.

>DM rolls for players

Yeah, no.

The key is to not play D&D. Savage Worlds or
>Don't have any friends to play with anyways
Ah. Yeah there's no fixing that.

This.

While Iconic, very few, even amoungst gamers play DND. I mostly played GURPS during the 90's because ut was easier to learn being just D6.

/tg/ here. Have you heard of gamefinder threads/

>He's never played with a good DM
Haha it's better to roll for players so they can't gain meta knowledge like the AC of things.

Pity this guy, too.

Why is that? Is it that they don't wanna ape original tabletop games too strongly, or that this many creators just don't get it?

Honestly you could argue that the big bang tgeiry started out being a ahow about what normies thought nerds were.

While I'm told ut get's better later seasons. I saw a couple episodes and was not impressed, felt fake and forced.

>First time players rolling for themselves
"Give me a minute, just gotta blow on my dice, guys."

>very few, even amoungst gamers play DND
>even amongst gamers
DnD is the most common trpg

What about the old Dungeons and Dragons cartoon?
youtube.com/watch?v=z3FZnD21iO0

>DM just plays with himself while you sit there and watch him have fun
Fuck off, retard. Rolling dice is 90% of the fucking game I'm not watching you do it for 4 hours.

Never happens.

Well I meant that they don't actually play Table top games period. My group was all Pathfinder

Socal is mostly war gamers, battle tech, warhammer, flanes of war, other historicals and such.

Locally most people play gurps, pathfinder or D20 system, but not actual plain D&D

Then there is savage worlds, white wolf and others

Came here to post this.

I remember an old mango or doujin did it right, but Japanese people always add an OCD level of details when talking about things they really enjoy.

This is such a shitty straw man I don't even know where to start. The game is about way more than dice rolling.

>Fuck off, retard.
You're obviously the retard here. You're obviously autistic if you get pleasure from playing with plastic cubes.

>Japanese Fantasy
>End up turning everything into Dragon Quest

t. Never played D&D in his life

I'm a fa/tg/uy you're just a scrublord.

Not since the early 2000's, now it takes on a more high fantasy/Final Fantasy airships, magic crystals and cities made out of a god's lost toothpick.

actually these days it's all track suit wearing neets who reincarnate

Dungeon meshi is the most fantasy thing I can think of in recent times, even has a classic party line up, just in a single dungeon.

It's like i'm really playing ADnD again, except they know how to draw cute elves.

Japan's problem is they don't really have a commonly used word for fantasy, the way we know it, so it all gets dumped into the fiction section.

Oh wow that explains a lot. Quality post.

>it's a WOW episode

Sad AT never straight up did this in its prime, would have been great. But I guess it would have pushed the joke too far.

Blame Slayers for that. Shit was ridiculously influential in Japan during the 90s.

Nigger.
Stranger Things

Gokudo was funnier anyways

>Nigger.

Never heard of that show. Surprised it got air play.

>it's a wow episode

I don't think they can actually legally describe the rules, unless they get permission. So they have to fudge their own absurd lookalike "rules" for the players to follow.

FIVE years of my life gone.
Because of that episode
I don't regret a thing

>Trying to look up fantasy adventure mangas
>Have to sift through dozens of a god appears in high school and a bunch of nerds play an MMO mangas.
Truly suffering

I've got a lot to be thankful for from Slayers

they were never ever close to getting it right

Did you watch the video?

>abridged series

>all dubbings are now abridged series

I'm only aware Dorkness Rising.
youtube.com/watch?v=GBMyZ4cQsSo

And the dickery of the various characters is pretty true to life.

DnD has been the most popular RPG through the whole history of the hobby. Everyone who was at least a bit into roleplaying games has a passing familiarity with DnD.

Eh, Im not gonna pretend there aren't PLENTY of cunt gamers but if you're supposed to be celebrating the fans and the game you don't make your whole movie about

>DRRRRR HARDASS GAMERS
>LOL GIRLS
>IM A STRUGGLING WRITER LOOK HOW CHARMING AND MISUNDERSTOOD I AM.

Teen Titans Go had a good episode about DnD

Eh, it tacky, but whatever. It's an fun amateur movie, what did you expect?

>It's a D&D Episode...
>Every Episode

I used have a group that would play every week in school. Graduated and moved back home and now I don't any friends to do anything with ;_;

It's a gauche piece of crap that's desperately trying to earn geek appeal

what about Zero Charisma the meat space movie?

also I think I.T. Crowd episode was charming

one of my favorite koth episodes

Dexter did a decent job of it

Probably my favorite trope that comes from these episodes is that the characters they RP keep the same voice and mannerisms of the people that are playing them.
example: Big hulking barbarian has the annoying voice of Gilbert Gottfried.

>Probably my favorite trope that comes from these episodes is that the characters they RP keep the same voice and mannerisms of the people that are playing them.

See I actually do like seeing the characters super imposed on their PCs but most of these shows just don't know the game on more than a superficial level

this is probably true

>cant use specific rules
>cant use specific classes/races
>cant use any settings

what's left then?

but on the other hand
>OGL is OGL, so DnD3.5, pathfinder, all good to go?
>most shows are parodies, so can shit on copyright and use everything they want

So I'm guessing it's just lazyness.

I.T. Crowd episode was great on so many levels.

>Dat goblin as obvious tribute to that old hobbit animated movie
>Dat fey looking elf
>Dungeons and dungeons and more dungeons

This joke is officially funny and inoffensive to Sup Forums. Please report back to the hivemind.

Have you seen the first one? It's not riding the wave of geek appeal. It's more about people making a funny movie about their hobby.

also it felt a bit like this was a meta joke
as in
>episode about episode about dnd

hi alex

but community a shit

burn. And you're right.

Just watched the Gravity Falls episode and it's probably the weirdest DnD episode I've seen.
>The rule book that seems to be written in ye olde english
>The game has a slogan players chant
>We ran out of space to put graph paper in the basement and we're going for the record
>90s edition that tried to be "cool"

If not for the ending you'd think all the writers knew about DnD was that it's about fantasy adventures and has complex rules.

What's the deal with the 90s edition though? Could they be talking about the rise of White Wolf game?

I always just assumed it was a general 90s joke, Gravity Falls seemed to like those.

> I.T. Crowd episode was charming
Damn, I compltely forgot about that episode.
You are a treasure user.

It probably was.

Also the credits joke where larpers go "are we wasting our time on escapism when we could use it to face our shortcoming and improve ourselves" was pretty mean.

> "are we wasting our time on escapism when we could use it to face our shortcoming and improve ourselves"
> mean
Well you are a Sup Forums poster, no wonder it hits a little too close to home.

FUCK YOU
whats the episode

I'm not even a larper but I know a bunch of larper and they're great guys. They train a lot, are in a good shape and they make their own armor. It's weird to see a children's cartoon trying to put down what seem to be a pretty cool hobby.

5000 kanji and only 30 words because afraid of synonyms

It sort of started out as a D&D episode, but turned into an MtG episode partway through.

Seriously, how do you ban a monster from a game?

Why would a culture that loves puns so much be afraid of synonyms?

Or am I thinking of homonyms?

Freaks and Geeks?
youtube.com/watch?v=hJAGxAeV7YU

>Dungeons & Dragons
>playing correctly

All those "rules" are just guidelines. Its just to give some initial order. If your DM wants to do shit differently, then so be it. The best campaigns are the ones you make up. The best stories are about off the wall shit you pulled off, or your DM let you pull off.

There is no correct way to play D&D, only the fun way that works for you.

This reminds me of the one article I remember reading one time where a guy was in prison and was able to buy a D&D book from the commissary. At some point because of his behavior he was stuck in solitary for a long period of time and just played out entire campaigns in his head just to keep himself a little sane.

>Seriously, how do you ban a monster from a game?

By omitting it from monster manuals, they way TSR cut/renamed Demons/Devils in the 80s to dodge Satanic Panic attacks?

is that loss in the window or is my brain just fried?

It's there, but it's an edit

You're not wrong, we home brew and fluff the rules a lot in our games but there is a sense of rules even there.

Diggity Dungeons and All That was the funniest joke in this show.

youtube.com/watch?v=Mr09q7tS4Sg

Did the D&D parody episode of Lesbian Horse Stories get most of it right?

>It's actually correct and well researched about role playing games and doesn't operate on generic nerdy stereotypes

Holy shit, you're right... it's the only thing I can think of that portrays nerds even close to their real-life counter parts.

Play RISUS the ANYTHING RPG!! It's super simple and incredibly easy to play. All you need is a DM willing to do silly stuff alongside the cool shit and it'll be amazing. I've played a funky space guitar player fighting Aliens that stole all the hot chicks using raves, a first day small town deputy trying to save his town from the zombie apocalypse, and a superpowered street kid in a The Warriors inspired apocalypse fighting colorful gangs with his older brother. Just recently I ran a DnD game using the system for some newbies and they fell in love with it so much that I'm gonna make a more involved system just so we can keep the game going.

Wait so are the girls lesbians or are the horses lesbians?

Why not both