Would this fan-work be a good modern day redesign of Betty Boop? Kinda reminds me of the current Mickey Mouse cartoons

Would this fan-work be a good modern day redesign of Betty Boop? Kinda reminds me of the current Mickey Mouse cartoons.

Other urls found in this thread:

deadline.com/2016/02/betty-boop-animated-series-max-fleischer-1201700613/
youtube.com/watch?v=SjjQhLRbu-w
youtube.com/watch?v=876lLIaWPHs
youtu.be/8mq4UT4VnbE
youtube.com/watch?v=JQ_R8QBeYvs
youtube.com/watch?v=uhMRO6bMSb8
youtube.com/watch?v=UxPRXfdkoNw&t=3m25s
youtube.com/watch?v=r5u5nxnroro
youtube.com/watch?v=tT6Cl1slJbI
youtube.com/watch?v=CWnWwN1z_UM
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Of course, because it's not a fan work, Stephen DeStefano is actually one of the storyboarder artist of the Mickey Mouse shorts.

He's a huge Fleischer fan.

Oh wow, Stephen did these? I saw 'em on Twitter awhile back, had no idea.

I'd love new Betty Boop shorts ala the Mickey ones, I don't want her to be doomed to a life of steering wheel covers and stickers.

as long as there's innocent sexiness it's all good.

He also did this.

Doesn't it still count as fan art since he's not officially working with Fleischer?

>Betty Boop
>Innocent
Watch the short "Betty Boop's Big Boss"

Yes it's a fan art, but made by an experienced artist who worked for many shows.

if by "good" you mean appeal to the general audience? Then no
if by "good" you mean appeal to nostalgia fags, then probably

who else here had a crush on Betty Boop

Everyone should.

Your Grandpa or maybe your great-grandpa.
It's basically proto-animes.

I do.

Over the last few years I've been a little obsessive looking up fan art, re-watching her cartoons and listening to her songs (even though Helen Kane is singing them).

It's not easy being a fan of a character who is all but dead to modern audiences.

Grim Natwick - Betty Boop's original artist.

Reminder that Betty Boop is getting a new animated series by 2018.

deadline.com/2016/02/betty-boop-animated-series-max-fleischer-1201700613/

I've been wanting to draw some Betty Boop lately. Any suggestions?

Umm.... Betty Boop dressed as Chel from El Dorado?

Betty Boop and Toot dancing the Charleston? Or performing a Catfight?

Would a Betty Boop cartoon work in modern times?

A design isn't enough. It'd take a creative team who knows what made Betty great in order to giver her a well-deserved reboot.

Ideally,
- Keep the sex appeal dial high enough to stick to her iconic design, but low enough to where it won't trigger soccer Moms and feminists. Don't nerf it too much, otherwise you'll just repeat what happened when Hayes took effect, which was ultimately what caused the decline in her popularity. A character can be classy and sexy at the same time.
- Keep the story simple and fun. The cartoons always had a very surreal, almost dream like atmosphere, especially in the ones Cab Calloway sung in. The best parts about Betty Boop were the animation (it's Fleischer after all) and songs/music, and those were the medium for telling a story.
- On that note, the songs shouldn't reek of modern pandering. Bettys an icon of her era, keep it that way. When she tried to get into Swing music, it didn't quite boost her popularity enough to keep her going.
- Loads of fan winks and callbacks. Cab Calloway references, all the core characters like Koko and Bimbo, and later characters like Sally Swing and Grampy. Maybe throw in some references to other Fleischer shorts.

tl;dr do the exact same thing the 2013+ Mickey Mouse shorts are doing

This guy knows what he's talking about.

Betty Boop never got an animated movie in the 90s.

youtube.com/watch?v=SjjQhLRbu-w

She has a lovely body but her head reads as a butt to me every time

The Hays Code nerfed poor Betty and the introduction of Jessica Rabbit kinda added salt to the wound

I love that one.

WHOA

NEVER put in Fearless Fred. The guy killed Betty once before

Nice.

Yeah, Betty don't need no love interest.

Just have him be a parody of his former self, something tongue in cheek to make some humor out of him instead of just sweeping him under a rug and pretending he never happened.

>tl;dr do the exact same thing the 2013+ Mickey Mouse shorts are doing
my nigga

There's a new Betty Boop comic published by Dynamite

I like Betty Boop, but the way her head is normally drawn bothers me.

I was just thinking it reminded me of the recent Mickey shorts.

Niccccce.

In her first appearance, she sang a song literally about wanting to fuck. Innocent sluts are best characters.

>had
>im-fucking-plying I ever stopped
Pretty sure I first found out about her in the 80s with one of those 5 hours of classic cartoons tapes (it was a 3 pack).

youtube.com/watch?v=876lLIaWPHs
>constant tweens
>but some okay frame-by-frame here and there
I'M NOT SURE I'M OKAY WITH THIS

As far as we get Cab Calloway songs included, count me in!

youtu.be/8mq4UT4VnbE

>she was a low-down hoochie coocher
What did he mean by this?
youtube.com/watch?v=JQ_R8QBeYvs

Wasn't that already debunked?

Well he's dead so it may be a lil hard to get him in.

Honestly I wouldn't mind getting modern singers who are willing to do old school kinda music to guest star.
Maybe a kinda Postmodern Jukebox remix of their own work.

>The image above is not Esther Jones aka “Baby Esther,” the African-American singer of the late 1920s, whose singing style inspired Max Fleischer‘s popular animated character Betty Boop.
>A curious Tumblr user found that image above is actually a photo of a model known only as Olya, taken in 2008 by a Russian-based studio, Retro Atelier. Take a look at more from the photo series below.
Hmmm
>Now it’s one thing to see inaccuracy circulating thanks to a misinformed Instagram user, numerous Facebook pages or Tumblr blogs, but now it has been republished by HelloBeautiful‘s Lifestyle Editor Danielle Young, who jumped right onto the wagon.
>The caption attached to the photo of Olya, however, is true. Esther Jones was a regular performer at Harlem’s infamous Cotton Club, where a white American singer/actress named Helen Kane saw her act in 1928 and copied Jones’ “baby” singing style for a recording of “I Wanna Be Loved By You.”
>In June 1930, Kane starred in Malcolm St. Clair‘s comedy film titled Dangerous Nan McGrew, alongside Victor Moore and James Hall. A few months later in August 1930, Betty Boop made her first appearance in Dizzy Dishes, the sixth installment in Fleischer’s Talkartoon series.
More in next post.

>In May 1932, Kane filed a $250,000 lawsuit against Fleischer and Paramount, which stated that “Betty Boop’s ‘boop-oop-a-doop’ style constituted a ‘deliberate caricature’ that gave her ‘unfair competition.'”
>Kane’s suit fell apart in 1934 when her manager testified that they had seen Jones’ act together in April 1928, and that Kane began to “boop” a few weeks later.
>Additionally, as Jill Fields notes in her 2007 book — An Intimate Affair: Women, Lingerie, and Sexuality, theatrical manager Lou Bolton testified for the defense revealing that “in 1925, he coached a ‘young negro child’ named Esther, teaching her how to interpolate her songs with scat lyrics which she later re-purposed into her trademark ‘boop oop a doop.'”
>It was ruled that Kane was not the originator of the ‘baby’ singing style and lost the lawsuit.
LOL
Good going, Kane.

Also, for reference, here is the actual "Baby" Esther Jones.
She's a cutie.

I'd give her doop something to boop about ...
Idk if that even remotely sounds as sexual as I was going for.

Remember, user.

>Sally Swing

YES please. She could do anything she liked to me. *fans self off*

>- Loads of fan winks and callbacks. Cab Calloway references, all the core characters like Koko and Bimbo, and later characters like Sally Swing and Grampy. Maybe throw in some references to other Fleischer shorts.

That sort of describes the new comic books from Dynamite (Sally and Grampy both in, along with Bimbo and Koko), though the art style is kind of wrong for the characters.

Good art, but looks odd for them—a little too realistic, so the realistically proportioned Koko and Sally come out OK but the others, including Betty, are a bit peculiar.

Turned me on, user.

Cartoon Research link? If theres anything that the Hays Office did is age up better.

Cartoon Research link? If theres anything that the Hays Office did is age her up a bit.

Her VA said that she had done 6 cartoons, and one of them is supposedly lost media, but it seems there were only 2 known works with Sally. Either she had done the VAs before they got cancelled, or, as she herself said, doesn't remember everything about it. She was only 15 at the time, and had done some other cartoon work, so it's also possible she got them mixed up with her Sally voice work. This being from her 2002 book, so that's a pretty big gap, so I guess her memory of it wouldn't be perfect.
Seems she was based slightly on Betty Grable's look and Martha Raye's dancing along with the other swing of the time. This was changed from the original model sheet where she looked a bit different from her final version.
I tried to find stuff on youtube, but couldn't see Martha dancing, just slightly moving her arms a bit, which doesn't really count. I guess there's this, but it's not much: youtube.com/watch?v=uhMRO6bMSb8

In other news, this:
youtube.com/watch?v=UxPRXfdkoNw&t=3m25s
Holy shit, I don't care if that's her or a stunt double, you could rip all sorts of muscle fibers with this.

Semi-related to the music and dancing of the time: youtube.com/watch?v=r5u5nxnroro (skip to 2:45 for the dancing, but the music part is amusing too.)
Wow, man. I thought that stuff from Tom and Jerry was just overexaggerated parody. People actually danced like this.

You mean something like this

youtube.com/watch?v=tT6Cl1slJbI

More like this.
youtube.com/watch?v=CWnWwN1z_UM

Story time?

Why Betty refuse to finish her HASENPFEFFER?

Why does her head branch off into two distinct cheeks? It really messes me up

She used to be a dog and those were her dog cheeks.

When they made her human all they did was get rid of the ears and the button nose.

Boop Boop Boopi Doop