Lin-Manuel Miranda Working on Another Disney Movie

vulture.com/2016/11/lin-manuel-miranda-making-a-secret-disney-film.html

>This hack keeps getting work

How do we stop him bros?

Other urls found in this thread:

deadline.com/2016/08/the-little-mermaid-lin-manuel-miranda-alan-menken-hamilton-disney-live-action-film-1201803536/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

How is he a hack user? Please explain.

I hope it's an inspector gadget movie.

>winner of a Pulitzer Prize, two Grammys, an Emmy, a MacArthur "Genius" Award, and three Tony awards
>creator of groundbreaking, universally-praised work of art that has shaken his field
>hack

Well yeah. He's not white.

LMM is godlike bro, actually a reason to care about Disney flicks

>this will get buried in the current storm of culture war politics and waifufaggotry

Sup Forums was a mistake

How do you win so many awards and still be a person that most people will go literally who upon hearing your name?

Do you guys notice shitposting is at a all time high recently?

Because he's not on TV or in Movies.

Moana's music sucks though.

A lot of people win major awards and aren't known. If you're not a hockey fan you won't know Carey Price, for example.

Because they're in fields most people don't know or care much about. How much do you know off the top of your head about Broadway, drama, or musical theater?

Disney has been very solid recently and Miranda is a talented man. I'm excited.

>the annoying hispanic faggot from House
Fuck no please

those in theater are generally not known by their name user, not even in fucking new york. it's why broadway looks to recruit big name celebrities in their productions - the only way to fill the seats.

that said lin-manuel miranda is probably one of the most recognizable names on right now in general and he's not even in fucking Hamilton anymore as the lead. it's not surprising in the slightest that disney would commission him for a musical.

>Hating Lin Manuel Miranda

It's the standard Sup Forumsntrarianism. Miranda is really popular and praised right now, so some people think they can look interesting or smart by denying it.

>How do we stop him bros?

Why would we want to do that? Hamilton is awsome.

>He doesn't like the Hamilton.

Begging you to get taste OP.

I'm down with it.

Hamilton was good.

>tfw you'll never achieve your dreams
>tfw you'll never make a play (or comic book or story or whatever) in spite of all the people that looked down on you for not choosing a "more profitable" career
>tfw your play will never have world leaders, celebrities, people who have affected the future of the world, attend your play
why even live

Just chase that shot man

>tfw you're throwing it away

>Cool dude who considers Weird Al one of his biggest inspirations
>Makes a cool play that people like
>Doesn't go all crybaby faggot after Trump wins, preaches love and unity and all that good shit
>Generally just seems like a chill motherfucker
OP how did Lin Manuel hurt you.

He's the new director of Avengers: Infinity War and he's gonna turn it into a high concept musical

How would you react?

important question: will the leads all be played by black people and important secondary question: will three of those black people be Daveed Diggs, Leslie Odom Jr, and Christopher Jackson

I hope so man, I'd watch Daveed Diggs in anything.

We bury you up to your neck next to an ant hill and slather honey on your head.

OP is a faggot. In the Heights was great and Hamilton is even better. Glad he's getting more opportunities to make music.

MFW

Have you heard the Moana stuff?! I'm eagerly waiting for the soundtrack to drop!

I'm not seeing a down side.

>tfw you are literally living through the next Stephen Sondheim's rise to greatness

With renewed faith in the goodness of people.

What would be the point otherwise?

Is he the new Howard Ashman? Will he save the Disney musical?

Just pair him with Alan Menken and watch the money come pouring in.

If he is this is bound to happen.

Seconding this thought; but also, I don't find anything about Lin-Manuel Miranda's songwriting to be fantastic. Nothing from In the Heights or Hamilton really made me go "Wow!". His lyrics are occasionally inspired, and his music is more often than not pedestrian.

My dick would literally explode

You're the saddest user I've ever seen.

>comparing him to that hack Sondheim.

not taking your bait today, mister

he's got a spanish name, but he looks pretty damn white to me.

He's the new John Legwahzahmoh

No one cares

he looks white-ish but he's Puerto Rican

Idina Mendel is one of the most talented stage actors of this generation. Most people had never heard of her until she was either "The office girl in Enchanted" or Elsa.

Yeah Sup Forums legit rapes this board sometimes

You guys might know him as a playwright, but he'll always be that rapper guy from House for me.

Let's hope not. One John Leguizamo was enough

Good. I really like his music

You would think with trump winning all these alt right racists would settle down a bit with the hateful rhetoric but *shrugs* I guess drumpfkin babies need even more attention now that they got a taste

This is the only guy that I can trust on a Disney film.

Hamilton is race bait and brings nothing substantial to the table of theatre aside from at most encouraging those not typically theatre goers to go try the theatre because "this has there people". Seriously, the passion of love for Hamilton only proves the grave extent of white guilt and misunderstanding of racial issues in America

Seriously, Book of Mormon had more substantial racial commentary than Hamilton

>falseflagging on co

hip hop in musical theatre is still pretty groundbreaking

Hamilton is basically a traditional old-fashioned patriotic story dressed up with "diverse" casting (though Miranda himself seemed kind of out of place in that cast).

It appeals to people who want old-fashioned patriotism but also people who want old-fashioned patriotism subverted.

A lot of big hit musicals are like that, like Fiddler On the Roof appeals to religious people and anti-religious people

Nice vague non-criticism there boss. Why do I have the feeling that you would post this about literally any piece of art made by non-white people or starring non-white people?

Stick with Sup Forums, everyone thinks you're really deep and brave in that shit hole

>I missed the entire point and was just caught up in the founding fathers being played by black people

you realize that was like the opposite of the point right? Miranda didn't care about race at all, he just cast the best people, shocker that most of the best people for a hip hop musical ended up being non-white

Disney's way ahead of you. deadline.com/2016/08/the-little-mermaid-lin-manuel-miranda-alan-menken-hamilton-disney-live-action-film-1201803536/

there was a conscious decision to cast primarily non-white people, since half the musical wasn't written when casting was happening

>hack
Hamilton was fantastic. Stay salty that Broadway won't produce your swill.

Fucking new yorkers and their musicals you can't see if you don't live in new yok

got a source on that claim?

He literally said word for word quote unquote "There was no conscious decision to cast non-white people" in his WTF interview two days ago you fucking idiot. The cast is non-white people because those are the only people he knew who could rap.

I don't have a linkable source, but the show book specifically mentions that he wrote Guns and Ships after he learned Daveed Diggs could rap so fast and One Last Time was written with Christopher Jackson in mind

>he didn't like Hamilton because its for uncle toms and white guilt audiences hurr he must be a racist drumph Sup Forumstv/ergeist xD

SPOILER ALERT: IT IS ONLY AS RECOGNIZED AS IT IS BECAUSE OF THE DIVERSE CASTING CHOICES

You know, not for it's substance of writing and song, but because LMM had the audacity to choose actors who were good for the part instead of an all white cast.

Seriously, there are plenty of better stage productions done by women of color but they'll never see broadway because they're not easy gimmes like Hamilton is

I don't wanna live in a world where "Bowie-inspired villain song performed by Jemaine Clement" is a concept that sucks.

Anyway, soundtrack's out tomorrow, anyone who uploads the deluxe edition will forever be considered a hero by yours truly. Make me proud.

Which is racist in and of itself, and come on, let's be honest here:

The publicity of "yeah we just wanted the best and it happened to be all blacks!" Sounds much more appealing than "oh I wrote some raps in the production so I definitely needed some black dudes with rhythm"

>come on, let's be honest here

So when the only piece of concrete evidence in the entire thread gets posted you just choose to ignore it because it disproves your argument.

This isn't Sup Forums or Sup Forums, fuck off back to where you came from.

all that means is that a cast was picked before the musical was finished not that there was an intent in the racial make up of the cast

I wish I could find it, but there was a documentary on PBS about the developmental process and reception of Hamilton, and LMM's writing style was looked at by everything from intellectuals, to Nas, the Roots, and other performers, and everyone brought a unique perspective about something they caught they they felt made it fantastic to them. If you can find "Hamilton's America", and are legitimately curious, and don't have an irrational hate boner for the guy it's worth a look.

Just because he said something on Maron doesn't validate it's authenticity

Stop taking everything at face value

It got filmed, didn't it?

please name some examples of musicals you think deserved recognition over Hamilton

you clearly claim to know a lot about this sort of thing

to be fair a lot of Broadway shows get well known for the wrong reasons, people like risky and edgy stuff which is why ok works like Avenue Q and Book of Mormon get more recognition compared to how good they are but Hamilton isn't like that all

Just because you believe something it doesn't validate it's authenticity.

When the choice is between what the creator said about his work and what you choose to believe about his work without any evidence, I'll go with the creator.

and the national tour is kicking off in March next year

>fucking americans talking about how awsome their musical is you can't see unless you live in america

Yeah, and when can I see it, huh?

I envy you. I had people telling me to go to New York in high school, but wanted to get a degree first, "to fall back on." I always thought I was going to get back on track after graduating, but I've been out of school for 6 years, and know I won't do it. If you are living your life, pursuing a dream, even if modestly, but love what you do, then god bless you user. It might not be THE dream, but it's probably closer to being a dream than the boredom I slave through 40 hours a week. I hope it it for you, anyway.

Oh just listen to the soundtrack

so you don't see guys in petty coats and powder wigs doing hip hop dance moves

the songs are like 99% of the substance of this sort of thing anyway

well the title is Hamilton: An AMERICAN Musical

I THOUGHT THE SAME THING. IT'S SUCH A HYPE TIME.

Work by Katori Hall, Lydia R. Diamond and Suzan-Lori Parks is all debuted back in 2011 on broadway but because the cultural climate was different you didn't not hear shit about it

I'm not inclined to believe one way or the other. It's nice to believe what he says, and that we can have an near all black cast from blind casting, but there is plenty of outcry from casting call phrasings LMM used that make me think otherwise

Fuck, I love Disney. I remember when I used to try to resist it because I listened to my inner company wars faggot, but they are just churning out stuff on a regular basis that makes me legitimately happy.

>musical got more recognition than straight plays
someone alert the media

That's right I forgot that the primary audience of 12 year old white girls that dictates what is popular cant enjoy a theatre production if there isn't singing every five minutes

Personally he'll always be that rapper from The Electric Company to me

LMM just did WTF and he actually said Hamilton was conceptualized as a telling of colonial history with rap and hip hop as the musical vehicle to convey the information and that the minority casting was simply a choice of pragmatism first and foremost because whitey couldn't perform that type of music well. The director was the one that injected the social commentary surrounding the casting after the fact. Your second comment is perfect though, because it does both so well. On one level, it is easy to be taken in by the idealistic ambition of the first act, but on another, every featured founding father has their seeming deification diminished as a consequence. Hell, even the contemporary political process looks a bit less broken because that of the Colonial era is shown to be comparably hostile and divided.

>12 year old white girls
musicals have gotten more widespread recognition than straight plays since like the 50s/60s, why are you acting like this is some new cultural backslide

it's because it's hip hop, isn't it

>Sup Forums is being hipsters over some theater dude

Is this what it's come to?

>Which is racist in and of itself
Within the context of conventional employment, you might have a point. Within the entertainment industry however, it is simply competent casting. You hire the performers that are most able to perform the intended piece as best as is possible. What you might have more standing to criticize however would be favoritism, as I believe LMM brought over some of his original In the Heights cast for the original Hamilton cast, but the entertainment industry has been doing that forever.

Some of it was featured in the doc user mentioned . Not all of it though.

Sup Forums is sometimes stealth-/th/

Want another BvS thread?

>all dose Hunchback of Notre Dame threads

>official cast recording was garbage