How would you depict cosmic horror on film?

How would you depict cosmic horror on film?

Other urls found in this thread:

edition.cnn.com/2017/09/14/asia/manga-artist-junji-ito-racist-rants-cause-outrage/index.html
youtube.com/watch?v=Dzuzqu5rm5o
twitter.com/AnonBabble

More like reddit horror

Film yer mum's snatch lmao

*ear-shattering fart noise*

Lots of build up and absolutely non-existent payoff, really blue ball the audience hard
It's meant to be shit!

without giant monsters, just like the shattering of laws of science and common sense.

With animatronics and puppetry

m8 the cops are on their way, you murdered that guy

the entire point is that you wouldn't

>inception sounds and screen cuts to black

What is it about these threads that get so many replies? I swear there's a new cosmic horror/Lovecraft thread every day but everyone still flocks to it. Someone tell me what the appeal is without looking like you're trying to impress other anons on the internet.

What honestly appeals to you personally about this theme?

>The absolute state of Sup Forums

Event Horizon does it pretty well.

lovecraftian

"In the Mouth of Madness" does it pretty well.

Some people like the cthulu pasta, some people like actual horror. There's multiple facets, man.

Also it's so rarely been done well hollywood gave the fuck up on it.
those are all we got.

I haven't seen that yet, but I did hear good things about it.

Leave the protagonists perspective midway through the film as they're driven insane (essentially killed ala psycho)
Then get nowhere with whoevers following it up.
Maybe show the deity from its own perspective, with humans like ants

Isn't the whole point of cosmic horror that it CAN'T be depicted

>Also it's so rarely been done well hollywood gave the fuck up on it.
Well, the thing with Lovecraft's horror is that it's pretty much defined by being outside conventional senses. Movies have audiovisual resources to confuse people's senses, but most people wouldn't put their money into a movie that's too confusing to follow because instead of feeling "scared" or at least uncomfortable you can end up with people feeling just confused or disinterested.
When you read about indescribable horrors, your imagination does all the work and it becomes that thing that's just outside comprehension. The limits of your imagination become the fuel behind what the horror actually is.
But movies are expected to give you some concrete information. And there's very few ways to successfully pull a similar trick within those constraints.

recommend cosmic horror films pls, need something to watch

Focus groups expect that shit, movies don't have to go that route.

>DAE love Lovecraft?
>SHIT WAS SO SCARY THAT ILL GO INSANE IF I TELL YOU HOW SCARY IS, SO JUST TRUST ME XDDD
>wanna check my new Cthulhu t-shirt?ITS SO EPIC!!!

off yourself

It could work if you have normal monsters like kaiju or something that meet cthulu offscreen and then you deal with mothra going crazy and wearing dresses and stuff

A white guy in a bondage suit.

>movie trailer
>WHAT IF CTHULU WASN'T JUST A STORY
>ear shattering fart noise
>full frontal shot of Cthulu rising from the sea with water streaming off of its body
>shot of Adam Sandler and Kevin James on the beach, staring at it open-mouthed, Sandler tries to take a photo with his Iphone X
>Leslie Jones drives up to them in a Ford Escape (TM)
>"Aww hell naw, this vacation is over!"
>fart noise, drum beat starts and rapidly increases in speed
>US military helicopters flying towards Cthulhu
>shot of Cthulhu roaring
>shot of Will Smith in a jet
>"ia ia this motherfucker!"
>shot of buildings collapsing for no reasos
>another fart noise
>THE CALL OF CTHULHU: DAWN OF THE OLD ONES

barely depict it at all, thats the point right

>13 replies

The lack of actual good horror movies nowdays, they became cheap jumpscare ridden spooky rides with overused imagery that dimwits mistake for 'le scaery'

Just like any other movie genre degenerated into cgi extravaganzas with 0 soul or emotion.

The sudden romanticism around h.p. memecraft comes from the desire of reliving a dying genre, perhaps his way of describing how you react to something without describing the something is a good lead into the next level on horror kino.
I absolutely love that cthulu pasta because its not a mockery of lovecraft work but how holywood shits on the original matterial and just uses it to suck the brand recognition to deliver you the most forgettable experience you could ever have.

I even made a drawing of it on that drawthread we had.

LMAO

Never actually showing it

Like this

Simple... If any of us have gone outside and explored the countryside, you can understand vast it is and how insignificant you as a person appear. Create that sense in regards to things like the camera angles. Try and avoid the 'money shots' of a skyline view of the creature unless a main character in the film is in that helicopter.

Also, I would do the distortion of the visuals and audio of the film, not in a huge way, more in the lines of what David Lynch did with the Black Lodge/BOB in Twin Peaks. Speaking of Twin Peaks, do what Lynch did and make it appear like the rules of reality not longer matter in the presence of the abomination as well as just create an atmosphere of uneasy and an unreal world.

by dropping memecraft and going full junji ito.

kek 10/10

edition.cnn.com/2017/09/14/asia/manga-artist-junji-ito-racist-rants-cause-outrage/index.html

they already did user

>John Carpenter-esk soundtrack
>fog
>suspense
>mostly practical effects
>showing the impossible
>gore
>letting peoples minds fill in the gaps

which director would be capable of doing a movie like this? i believe if done right it could be a master piece

>really blue ball the audience hard
this

You can't discuss HP Lovecraft on Sup Forums without a bunch of fucking people that never read his work exaggerating the "it's so scary, I can't even tell you how scary it is" bullshit.

Anyway, I'm going through a list of 'Lovecraftian' type films.

>The Void
Just watched it, pretty fucking good. Someone suggested it in another thread and I sat and watched it.

>AM 1200
Short film. Indy. Watched it a few days ago. Also pretty good for what it was. I think it was like 45 minutes or something.

>The Banshee Chapter
It's like /x/ themselves wrote this movie. It combines Lovecraft, MK-Ultra, and numbers stations. Pretty good movie. Watched it earlier today.

>Black Mountain Side
Another indy film. Kind of reminds me a little of The Thing. Pretty good and spooky.

I'm trying to figure out what to watch next. Maybe Dagon, The Burrowers, or Cthulhu. Cthulhu looks like it has that one bitch who got killed in the beginning of Scream in it.

Doing right cosmic horror it's impossible because of the following:

>Movies always have to have a human protagonist, watching everything from his human point of view
>Can't be boring, so there must be fights and action
>There must be some kind of hope of defeating the monster/enemy/invader
>Cosmic entities have to have watchable forms, since it's a visual medium

And many more. So no. Books have always been better.

>Cthulhu looks like it has that one bitch who got killed in the beginning of Scream in it.
drew barrymore was in scream you dumbass. That's tori spelling.

Residue

which one would be your suggestion

I would suggest The Void because that seemed the closest to 'Lovecraftian'. I also liked The Banshee Chapter, but they kept doing jump scare shit and it would have been so much better if it didn't do that, it started to get annoying after awhile like having hiccups. The movie was good and spooky and didn't need someone popping up next your window with blaring music telling you to get scared. Black Mountain Side is meh. Bunch of dudes in a camp in far Alaska going slowly insane, it's...okay. AM 1200 is good but short.

So tl;dr The Void. I'm going to watch another movie on the list soon and I'll let you know how it is.

someone who doesn't try too hard, you don't have to put over the top flashbacks in, just audio memories and the ominous image of jupiter moving hurricane getting larger and larger as the one guilty ridden man expires every attempt to break free to revert the situation until the engine fuel (thrusting dowards) runs out, then he remains in the dark in a pod falling towards certain demise that never comes for some reason leaving him mad in the process, the fear of madness will put that character in a position where he won't stand waiting for death any longer he will try his best to kick the glass so he can die before going insane.

>Finally a kino is made inducing true cosmic terror
>at the end of of every showing the audience who haven't clawed out their eyes and punctured their eardrums kill themselves
>the survivors form wild blood orgies that fill the other more family friendly showings and sacrifice entire families on makeshift altars

Would you watch?

Mostly through sound, I guess. Manifest weird environmental effects, like the presence of something is perturbing the fabric of reality. If I had to actually have some sort of eldritch creature right there I'd go humanoid for some body-horror element. Maybe something like Set from Tom Cruise Presents The Mummy, with some additional physical aberrations, non-conventional movement styles.

ment for this guy

That's how a Cthulhu story should play out though. Hollywood would try to give a happy ending with the monster being defeated.

>>Can't be boring, so there must be fights and action
Most good horror movies have little to no fighting or action shots.

Here is another good example of lovecraftian horror story telling

Get ready for intense 3 minutes pure kino

youtube.com/watch?v=Dzuzqu5rm5o

I've contacted my studio, we're going to do this right now.

This. The Others had none of that and it's one of the best ghost movies of all time.

So, basically just add Sam Neil to a movie and you're good to go?

Possession does it pretty well

Seen all of these, can confirm good recommendations. Just saw am 1200, worth a watch. I'd add this movie to the list:absentia. Definitely also fits the theme.

Stop fussing about cosmic horror.

Body horror is the superior horror. This is fact.

DUDE GORE LMAO

LOL SPACE TENTACLES

>Leslie Jones drives up to them in a Ford Escape (TM)
>"Aww hell naw, this vacation is over!"

I don't find a giant tentacle monster all that scary.

BRO ITS SO FUCKIN SCARY YOU CANT EVEN IMAGINE HOW IT LOOKS LMAO

I saw the trailer for that and it unnerved me because there's a tunnel in the neighborhood I grew up in that looks very much like the one in the trailer.

Here it is on googlemaps.

this year saw a couple of incredibly good horror movies tbf, I suggest you to watch it comes at night and the blackcoat daughter

>I've never read any of his stuff, I just repeat what I saw online

>What if Chuthulu was a giant fart?

>its ment to be shit.
Nigga please

Honestly I woud just out of disbelief

>if theres not an monster or slasher it sucks!!
Okay dude.

seems like that one episode of masters of horror directed by carpenter with that the walking dead guy

>imblying they don't go hand in hand
YOU GOT YOUR PEANUT BUTTER IN MY CHOCOLATE

you make the film lead up to an insane climax thats all it takes the fantasy video by dye does it perfectly you just slowly escalate the tension.

this one was surprisingly good too, the void draws A LOT from it

spoopy

flanagan best director

would bang desu

too much

>show nothing
>main characters doing menial shit in looooong scenes
>name drop some lovecraft a couple of times
Thats it this wins the contrarian crowd

this image is cursed

Hahahaha fuck you buddy. >:(

would be great with sound

I thought Cloverfield did it, yeah.

It would be cool to see an alien invasion as more of a horror genre than the sci-fi it usually is. If done right the movie could be terrifying.

cosmic horror 101
1 the universe is very very big
2 the human race is very very small
that´s it
it should nt be that hard to do in film

This basically le witch but with tentacle shit

>ctrl + F
>"AM1200"
>no results

Watch AM1200 on Vimeo. Great sort of Lovecraftian horror movie. It's 40 minutes, you've got time.

show a couple taped episodes of The View

see

Literally posted earlier in the thread with several responses you utter mongoloid

REEM BLESS