Last time on Korra

I'm gay.

>Ohhhh ASAMI ahh, AHHHHHH!
>NOT THERE...... (GHASP)
>AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

long hair korra is best korra

Was this even a thing?
For fucking ages i heard all the people raving (Okay i caught the headlines of a few articles around the place) that Korra was gay and there was a relationship.
And then i watch it and it's the most subtle subdued thing.
Theres no kissing, I mean the most is they hold hands and go on a vacation together.
This is Tumblr Fanfic level shit.

It only got revealed in the last episode. I think. Or maybe it was heavily implied in the last episode and they outright stated it later. I forget.

The gayness was probably a last minute edition. The only thing that tipped off that romance was when Korra blushed to Asami complementing her hair, but that's quite trivial.

So blushing means that the characters want to fuck?

Having re-watched the series recently I can say, they have been setting it up since early book three, but even in the end it is fairly ambiguous. However it was later confined that, that was what they were going for so obviously Sup Forums lost there shit over it.

>subtle subdued thing

It wasn't a thing until bryke decided to pander to tumblr fans, and even admitted they didn't put anything into the show until halfway through season 4. So the "thing" would be an ambigous blush and a bit of handholding.

There is literally no setup in book 3 and Bryke even admitted that themselves.

This is the problem with this ship, anyone can decide entirely by themselves when they think it starts and wouldn't be right or wrong because the show itself doesn't actually show it, it just states that now Korra and Asami are gay at the last second. The entire relationship is nothing more than shipping expectations injected into whatever scene you want.

The passangers on shipping trains are quite desperate and will take what they get, especially it they are passangers on yuri trains.

God forbid they show positive female friendships.
Nope. Bi the whole time without the slightest indication aside from hindsight.
Oh, sorry. I meant taking off your hetero-lens.

>there is literally no setup in book 3 and Bryke even admitted that themselves.

no they didn't, idiot

>God forbid they show positive female friendships
Girls aren't allowed to be just friends. One or both of them have to be gay.

Did that edit of the " 'We're lesbians' 'I'm rich' 'We're bisexual' " comic with Korra, Asami, Bolin ever get made?

It was only solidly confirmed after the episode aired. One of the creators said Korra and Asami were bisexual, there's also supposedly an aurora during the last scene with the bi flag colors in it.

It wasn't on the nose, but I think people who didn't catch on to it before the finale were pretty dumb.

Now this is on the nose.

Having yuri goggles doesn't mean you caught onto something. Zutara shippers claimed to see the same type of "subtle" bullshit.

>one throw away scene was supposed to be the dead giveaway
>complains that people didn't pick up on it

Was that the scene where Asami said she liked her hair? Are people seriously expected to jump to "they gon fuck" based on that?

STRAIGHT!
Pro-bending! Holding hands!
Guys kissing girls! Not kissing you! STRAIGHT!
"Hello! I'm very rich-"
BISEXUALS!

According to Bryke, yes.
It's really fucking dumb, but that's what they said.
If they didn't end up being gay, that scene would have been waved off as a normal intereaction.

Yes they did, they said themselves that they were afraid of putting anything into the show because Nick would shut it down so they didn't. Then about halfway through book 4 they asked nick for permission and got it. It's all in their own blogposts to read from tumblr, you can do it anytime you want.

>people who didn't catch on to it before the finale were pretty dumb.

There's hints throughout. Asami is the only one who asks little things like "How have you been" and gives her looks... and takes her for a drive...

It wasn't even that subtle. Seriously, the only thing missing was them stopping by a roadside diner for a clam chowder.

It wasn't there desu, and i've rewatched it a couple of times to make sure. The only way for it to work is if you force non-romantic scenes to imply romance, which Korrasami shippers to all the time even back in season 1 and 2.

It was very clear that they were ship baiting the moment Korra blushed at Asami.

However I didn't expect them to go beyond that.
Hell, I kinda wish they didn't, because they hadn't earned any of it.

I felt that season 4 made it feasible for Korra and Asami to be really close friends tethering on the edge of gay, but they needed like another season to actually get there.

Maybe the comics will fix it.And maybe hell will freeze over, but who knows, Trump is president.

>The only way for it to work is if you force non-romantic scenes to imply romance
You hit the nail on the head. This is what shippers do for every scene. For every interaction, they will hang on the little things. They'll take things out of context if it suits them.
Bryke made them gay in 4 as an attempt to be profound and to give the series something to be remembered by.

>it was very clear
No it wasn't. Before the "big reveal", that scene was absolutely nothing. Hindsight is 20/20.

I think you're trying to equate Korrasami shippers to Zutara, but being there at the time, I can attest that nobody really shipped it seriously.

It was mustly just: "I wish Korra actually had female friends!" and "God I hate this relationship shit. I'm just gonna root for the hot girls to make out to dodge all the drama."

I'm sure there were fringe nutjobs, but the only argument for Korrasami was that it didn't exist, as opposed to Makorra.

That was how it used to be, but after the reveal in book 4 thats actually how Korrasami shippers are. It used to be a crackship made as a protest to how awfull Makorra was, but it got turned into "the best thing ever in animation" by the shippers. I have no problem with people shipping it, or liking hot girls making out, but it shouldn't be canon since it's retarded in the context of the story and setting.

It's mostly me venting from dealing with drama from other fanbases. I get what you're saying. I still think my central point of "there was no real buildup" still stands.

That's just your hetero-lens deceiving you.

I like to do a mental exercise. I like to imagine Asami was a guy and then play out the scenes between "him" and Korra the same way they did in season 4.

And you know what? It's pretty overt. In fact Asami comes off as a shy beta orbiter, that's willing to do anything for Korra and she eventually feels guilt tripped into being in a relationship with him, because he sacrificed so much for her sake.

I'm interested, what scenes do you think are overt if Asami was a man? Because i just don't see it even then. And certainly not from Korras perspective.

I don't see what you mean, lad. You're going to have to be more specific.

You don't spend much time with girls do you user

The thing she talks about most is Korra.
Most of the things she does are for Korra's sake.
They immediately get into a spat that's really about Korra being away for so long.
Once Korra is back in her life, Asami spends most of her off time hovering in the background.

If she were a guy, you'd ask yourself why he'd be so dedicated to her, when he basically gets nothing from it. And the only answer that makes sense is: Pussy.

Or you know, helping a friend at their lowest point? Nope, she has to want to hit that.
Shit like this reeks of delusion.

Still not seeing it. None of that implies romance even for a guy/girl relationship. In a way it seems like Korra and Bolins relationship in the show, except Bolin also gets to do things on his, while Asami has no story arcs at all.

There was nothing else to ship Korra with, so people picked Asami and near the end the crew just rolled with it.

dub-dub-trips for truth. Not nearly enough.

>All of these people assblasted that Korra would never sleep with their OC

>nothing

Bolin's focus in the later half of the season is basically smoothing things over with Opal.
And before that he's always had his projects of being a filmstar or learning metalbending or this or that.

Meanwhile Asami has a plot about reconnecting with her crazy dad, but they literally put less emphasis on that than her relation to Korra.

Asami was all around a useless character.
All she ever does is follow the main cast around.
I'm not sure why Bryke kept her around.

>girls
>having any form of meaningful friendship that isn't marred by envy and rivalry

Doesn't sound like you do either.

Contain your boners, gentlemen!

>not inflated
0/10 wouldn't waifu

Well yes, but that's mainly because they don't put emphasis on anything Asami does. Hell in book 4 Mako has more intimate moments with Korra than Asami does. Asami is basicly a background character that is put close to the main characters because they have no idea what to do with her.

But Bolin and Korra are still close friends, and he would do almost anything to help her out if she needed it or asked for it, same with Mako. The difference between them and Asami is that they get to do things, and she doesn't.

She's rich and provides things they would have trouble obtaining otherwise
"We need an airship" "I have an airship"
"We need some robots" "I have some robots"

So she's a plot device? Only there to provide goodies every time the plot requires?

That's not a very swell thing to say.

>isn't marred by envy and rivalry
Season 1/2?

Come on, don't blow his behaviour out of proportions.

Yes. In cartoons blushing means they would like to fuck. Kissing means they actually fucked.

This again?
Bolin has a better relationship with Asami than with Korra.
They literally spend more time together than Bolin and Korra ever did and have a good, platonic friendship.

Korra barely acknowledges Bolin at the best of times. It's a really shallow one-sided relationship.
But then again that's most of Korra's relationships.

>Bolin has a better relationship with Asami than with Korra

From the very beginning user
Think about her first appearance

It was more a comparison between Bolin and Asamis relationships to Korra. Which you kinda describe perfectly at the end

>Korra barely acknowledges Asami at the best of times. It's a really shallow one-sided relationship.

Ever since the first fucking season.

>she's there for a shitty love polygon
>she's there so Korra can figure out her rich daddy is a bad guy
>for the rest of the show she straddles the line between main and support character because because Bryke like her too much to get rid of her but can't figure out what to do with her.
>Never given a real character arc

The point i was trying to make was that they need money and she turns up and gives them money.
But also what you said

You do realize that after the Spirit of competition, Bolin barely has any conversation with Korra one on one.
He's part of the group, but he overinflates their friendship the same way he overinflates any relationship he has.

Just like Preston.

Meanwhile him and Asami hang out in S1 whole Korra and Mako are basically fucking in the other room.
Asami takes him along for her whacky business stuff, laughs with him and suffers under his stupidity. She also has a heart to heart with him in S2. Asami is also the only member of the krew willing to humor Bolin's more childish side, by answering his dumb questions or playing Pai Cho with him.

Not entirely sure what you're going on about. I'm only talking about how Korrasami wouldn't have been more foreshadowed if Asami had been a man, because she would basicly be like Bolin in that case.

Bosami is cool with me, it was neat but unfortunately went nowhere, just like Borra. Which sucks imo, but there nothing to do about it now.

Every time, every time the finale gets discussed people start to sound butt hurt that they didn't realize what was happening

Who didn't realise what was happening? Everyone with half a brain realised what was going on when they saw that final shot.
The problem wasn't the moment itself, it was the fact that there was very little lead up to that moment, and that the creators deflected any criticism of that fact with "hetero lens".

They could have given them one kiss. Geesh.

Zuko is such a whore

It had the largest lead up of any romance in the show, every other romance was one of those love at first sight deals, it took Mako about 3 seconds to fall in love with Asami, it took Korra about 2 seasons of spending more time with Asami than Mako or Bolin for the two of them to get as close as they did in the finale

How could he not be, with that ass. He has a duty to humanity to give it to as many people as he can.

That's unfair, you're not the whore if every woman in a 50 feet radius around you start gravitating towards you

>Asami, please, there's no way it'll fit!

I'm sure these two did it at some point. Toph was the town bike.

So Mako and Bolin aren't whores?

Didn't Korra spend more time with Mako and Bolin than she did with Asami though? Not that standing next to eachother implies romantic interest.

Also Korrasami isn't love at first sight, but it doesn't have any lead up to a relationship. In a way it doesn't even have that going for it, and as such is even more forced than the other ships.

they should have fugged

Why does every potential Zuko pairing seems much better than what he got?

>It doesn't exist, because the creator wanted to put it in but where afraid the network would not let it fly.

You're an idiot.

No, in season 3 Mako is busy with his job, while Asami is the hanging out with Korra while they oversee the destruction caused in season 2, Bolin for some reason is hanging out with the others at the air temple, then later Mako and Bolin had their little side adventure together with the Red lotus while Asami and Korra was stuck in the desert, and after Korra got crippled it was Asami that stuck around to take care of her

Then in season 4 Bolin spends the majority of the season with Varrick working for Kuvira and then later trying to get away from Kuvira's empire, meanwhile Mako spends all his time babysitting Prince Wu. Korra spends the first half of the season alone then, but it does reveal she has been writing to Asami as she is the only one she feels she can share with at the time, and the two of them are the ones to spend time together while Mako is saddled with Wu and Bolin with Varrick

>have 3 cute potential candidates for zuko to settle down with
>pairs him up with a literally who

Korra Seasons from Best to worst
>1: Season Three
Korra actually grows as a character, we get some awesome villains, and the action is top notch
>2: Season One
while it's plagued with shit pacing and a horribly handled plot it's still got some good fight scenes
>3: Season 4
Fucked up morals, characters becoming retarded for no reason, that stupid fucking Mecha, and a pandering finale to use the "YOU JUST HATE IT BECAUSE YOU'RE A HOMOPHOBE!" defense
>4: Season Two
Korra goes full retard, gets the avatar line destroyed and almost gets everyone killed.

In book 3 they split up for a shot while which lasts about an episode, other than that they're all together the whole time. We don't know who cared for Korra in Book 3, but location suggests air acolytes, while Asami and Korra gets ready for 1 ceremony.

In book 4 Korra is mostly alone, and spends a lot of shared time with Asami and Mako, but also goes to meet Zaheer with Mako. The letter thing, is just normal behavior, women talk to eachother about their problems, not to men and don't ignore them. You shouldn't put much into that whole thing, besides Korra stops writing when she leaves the south and only contacts her parents after that.

They just generally spend alot of time together as a group, and very little split up. Bolin is the only real exception in book 4 because he has his own plot to deal with.

>Korra actually grows as a character
Her being sad on occasion cause she keeps fucking up is not growing as a character when she doesn't change

Again, they do spend time as a group, but out of the group Korra does spend the most time with Asami, now that doesn't necessarily mean they're leading up to a relationship, but it did give room for a lot of development between the two of them

Also the dialogue at the end of Book 3 heavily implies that Asami has taken much of the center for caring for Korra

>It's only been two weeks. You need time to heal.I want you to know that I'm here for you.

And I neglected to mention Bolin and Mako meeting their family while Asami and Korra met with the Earth Queen and got sent to fight those bandits, or in the episode Remembrance in book 4 where Korra and Asami were comforting each other while everyone else were doing their own thing, of course that was the clip show episode, and everyone tries to forget that episode to the best of their ability

>Korra does spend the most time with Asami
standing in the background not interacting =/= spending time with especially in a tv show. That is called filling the background

I remember when the Su arc was going people weren't sure if Asami had left at one part

But they didn't do anything or talked about anything that could develop them or their relationship. They might've had time for it, but they didn't use the time.

>>It's only been two weeks. You need time to heal.I want you to know that I'm here for you.
Sounds more like if you need help in the future, i can help you. Which implies she hasn't been taking care of Korra very much yet.

I guess you're right that Asami gets to tag along with Korra so she can collect taxes. But in remembrances it's Korra, Asami and Tenzin, with Tenzin being the driving force for Korra getting over her self pity, while Asami gives her a cup of tea.

And as you said, spending time doesn't mean anything by itself, it's the content and context that matters, and that is certainly not romantic lead up.

If Aang and katara had interact in the last episode but not brought up a relationship it would have been weird

If Korra and Asami hadn't interacted at all for the last few episodes of season 4 no one would have really said anything, never mind brought up anything to do with relationships

Now at this point I don't think we'll do much other than argue back and forth, like I could mention that Tenzin didn't show up until like halfway into the scene in Remembrance

So, I'm really careful at not bringing up the whole "hetero normative glasses" thing, like I'm no tumblr idiot, I'm a conservative who supported Trump in this election for crying out loud, but I do feel that if a guy and a woman were writing letters to each other and blushing at each others compliments people would immediately go, "they're going to bang"

I've heard the argument of course that girls are that close in real life and it's normal for them to blush at each other and look to each other for support, but I think it's important to keep in mind that in Book 4 Korra and Asami are not in their late teens anymore, they're young adults, and it's around this time that the whole girl camaraderie thing starts giving away to seeking deeper relationships

I think you're right. But i still disagree about the letter thing you bring up. It depends on context, and had it been bolin it would have been no different, it wouldn't be romantic.

Also, no, women don't stop being "overly" friendly to each other in their twenties if it happens at all. Men and women just interact differently, and writing a few letters doesn't mean romance, neither does a blush on it's btw.

Never waste the chance to post this.

I think a problem is if you go by the logic that this is something people just normally do with friends, because yes, people do just spend time with friends, laugh, have heart to heart talks and show support if someone is hurt

But, in the context of a tv show, especially one with multiple plots and limited screen time, you always question why whenever a scene passes, why those people, why did they do as they did. So in the real world a letter between close friends is just letter, in a tv show you instantly start to ask, why these two? Why now? What is this building up to?

So in closing I would say that sure, you could do a lot more to build up towards the finale, but I never felt like it dropped out of nowhere, it was new and interesting enough that I didn't mind it, and actually found it very emotional, especially considering Asami had lost her father and Korra's own struggles throughout the series.

I give them the benefit of the doubt and say maybe Nick was very strict about what they put in to imply gayness. But that's no excuse for their friendship not really being built properly at all.

Actually, they didm not only that, they pointes out they only even approaches Nick to talk about that in S04.

I get that, that's why im mentioning context. And the context doesn't say romantic, it's says friendship building. Remember that Korra and Asami weren't friends in season 1 and 2, they were at best acquaintences, their friendship starts developing in book 3, and it never goes beyond that. Until the very end ofcourse, but that scene is comepletely out of place, and kinda inappropriate for Asamis character to suggest romance right after her father died to save RC. It's just a bad choice all around, aswell as not being developed.

>start to ask, why these two? Why now? What is this building up to?
Then why don't you do that between other interactions? You aren't asking why Korzin or Borrick aren't a think despite both those pairs having more iterations and showing more care for each other.

You aren't asking why these other characters who interacted are not together cause it is only in hindsight you can try and say it is leading to Korrasami. If Korra and Asami hadn't ended up together no one but the most crazy shippers would have been going "but all the signs were there guys I can't believe they didn't address it!"

Good writing doesn't have you examine every scene for a few crumbs of evidence of the protagonists relationship, what you actually suggest there is just shipper logic where you overanalysis to back up the conclusion you want