Hi, we're the main reason why south park season 20 is so fucking awful

hi, we're the main reason why south park season 20 is so fucking awful

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=FTQbiNvZqaY
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Every joke repetition is awful. It's always only funny once. Or less.

You mean you don't 'member?

if it had more variation than just star wars

Really? Not the fact that it's been on 15 years past its due date and has long ago turned into another simpsons?

I liked last season, so probably not.

Wouldn't know, I outgrew cartoons by 13.

why did they have to drop their episodic method for season long arcs? south park jokes only work well if they're short and sweet.

Matt and Trey have openly admitted that they've gotten to the point where they're bored of South Park, so now they're experimenting with different things to try and spice it up.

These things have a major creepy uncanny valley thing going on.

That and its probably easier.

Instead of starting from scratch every week, they know where they're going and cut half the time.

I get the feeling that Matt and Trey didn't like episode VII and just can't let it go.

>trying to appear mature on Sup Forums
As if capeshit was any better.

why does Sup Forums hate member berries so much? they haven't even been in the episodes that much. they get like a couple min of screentime every ep they're in.
is that it? I found it odd too that seems to be alll they say but that doesn't make it awful.... why does Sup Forums make everything more than it is? "I don't like X so A is horrible now."

it's more likely that you are wrong to like last season

Someone had to say what everyone was thinking.

>It's an adult cartoon.

Please get raped by gorillas.

Continuity south park isn't working.

It isn't working cause they keep writing it on the fly and every continuity season falls apart by the end.

I want them to go back to their old ways or else do shorter continuity stories.

but there isn't much to member, member?
Like that's how nostalgia is - nostalgic people are fucking repetitive and boring themselves, so it makes sense that the memberberries are lame.

>MEMBER WHEN OP WASN'T A FAG?

>I DON'T

I feel like continuity south park makes sense, because a lot of political movements, cultural happenings and events are often not isolated from eachother.
Watching Garrison blame PC Principal for his creation felt good, even though I'm a leftie myself.

You mean like Sup Forums?

That stuff works, but we get a lot of repetition and some things drawn out way way too long out of it.

The endings are always total disasters.

I'd rather they do 3 or 4 part stories than season long ones.

Episode VII was rubbish though
it was prettier and more coherent than the prequels for sure, but it utterly trashed all they "mythic" overtones that Lucas put into the series.

Lucas was a good friend of Joseph Campbell and a lot of his theories and ideas on myth and heroism found their way into Star Wars. its what made the original series so endearing and memorable despite the fairly simple plot.

It's actually really sad when you read some of the commentary on the script writing process for the movie from the writer.

They really didn't seem to give a shit, and definitely not anywhere near the level of care a star wars film deserved.

it was really lazy and even Lucas seemed dissapointed
I recall him saying something like it was stupid of them to simply reuse all the stuff from the originals, meanwhile in the prequels he tried to keep everything different (the planets, the ships, the aliens, the costumes) in the originals as well they tried to keep things fresh with every film

Any examples of the writing "not giving a shit"?

Genuinely curious if it would explain why the movie was such a safe and predictable snorefest.

Lucas' callbacks in the prequels were obnoxious in their use, but they weren't even close to the level of callbacks ep vii has.

The scriptwriters, man... they didn't care at all about getting the characters done properly.

The only reason poe survived the crash and appears later is cause a producer thought it would be a happy scene.

Well, how do we explain him not being dead?

We don't need to.

Oh, okay.

Finn being a comedy relief character and completely at odds with his entire background, done for weird ass reasons.

The writers even talk about how they wanted to make everyone love rey the same way fanfiction writers talk about making people love their OCs.

I have little to no faith in episode viii.

I really liked the "We're going to kill you, 'member?"
"Yeah I member"
Joke

I listed some in the post below yours.

In short, they didn't take in to account cast balance, making sure everyone had their role and that role made sense, jumped at a lot of random producer suggestions like yes men, and they were INCREDIBLY fixated on pulling as much as possible from older movies because they thought that's all star wars people wanted.

It also sounded like in a lot of points when talking about Rey that they had zero explanation for her skills at the time they were writing the movie, and just figured the next guy would handle it.

This.

First time I saw member berries I thought they'd start on about Star Trek or Magnum PI or maybe something more 90s but they just kept on about star wars.

That's the problem with the member berries metaphor: It's about the only nostalgia you can be reasonably sure will hit a wide demographic, Star Wars. Anything else will miss too many people.

Yes except it was already common knowledge that JJ is a hack
Episode VIII is directed by Rian Johnson, an actually talented director

JJ didn't do the shit I'm complaining about.

It doesn't matter sometimes how good your director is when the people writing and producing the film don't care.

Johnson also wrote the script himself.

We'll see how he does, but given how they handed him an extremely shitty foundation and how into meddling the disney producers seem I'm not going to expect positive results.

Yeah, and dammit, more Christmas Critters. Dat Deery, umph!

tfa gets a free pass for shit that the prequels rightfully got crucified for

I'd say side-lining half of the original 4 didn't help. Butters has more relevance than Kenny and Stan combined.

Also, the 'Africa' segments with the berries were mint.

Kenny hasn't been relevant in a very long time.
This whole season has been a fucking mess. Hopefully they go back no continuity and 14 episodes per season instead of just 10

They're cute in a disturbing way.

I expected Kenny to become a background character, but Stan? What were they thinking?

this
Stan is the straight man and should be the main guy as he used to be

Stan is and have never have been interesting as a character and neither has Kenny. Kyle and Cartman and the driving forces in the group has why they're getting the most focus.

Kyle should've got the cut like Trey and Matt intended. He's only useful to relieve Cartman of his hatred of Jews and serves no other purpose

>I want them to go back to their old ways
Like how you'll be bitching about how inconsistent it is on a weekly basis?

Why do they keep Kenny's lines in the intro?

Also they enjoyed modern TV drama and went "sure let's try that"

continuity was a mistake

I didn't watch last night. This is the first time I blew off an episode

when the episodes were random every week, its ok when there was a bad one because the next week it could be good so I would come back to watch. But since they are all the same plot, and I don't find it particularly funny, I dont care to continue watching

To remind the audience he exists. Even if the episode doesn't.

The reason why South Park Season 20 is so fucking awful is that they're stretching a single episode's worth of jokes/topics across an entire season. It's boring because we're literally just getting the same jokes every single episode, with maybe only one or two new jokes per episode.

>Memberberries
>Star Wars VII sucks
>Guys vs Girls
>SJWs thinking all women are smart and funny
>internet trolls
>Trump is an incompetent asshole

And that's about it. It's like watching the same episode 8 times. At least last season, while it still had the continuity, it wasn't just the same exact fucking topic over and over and over.

This is why people have been saying "South Park wasn't always like this". It's not the fact that they're only doing social/political commentary, it's the fact that they're commenting on the same exact things every single episode. It's flat-out boring.

>literally just getting the same jokes every single episode,
You realize these are plotlines, not jokes, right? And comedy can be more than just setup-punchline?

Kenny was pretty relevant last season though.

Where were you when south park became EVA?

They went too heavy with the continuity this season. S19 worked great, because it still had episodes of the week, but with common themes that tied them together at the end.

S20 kinda sucks, because it's just one set of plotlines that just keeps going and going.

>You realize these are plotlines
I guess I should've been more specific; we're only getting jokes based on those topics. And they're topics, not "plotlines", if you wanna nitpick.
>And comedy can be more than just setup-punchline
Yeah, except repeating the same comedic situation over and over makes it lose its humor.

Those are (mostly) separate topics though, which makes the idea to mash them all together and stretch it even dumber. But that was obvious from how discombobulated the 1st ep was.

OK fine, let's do this

V > IV > VI > VII > III > I

I don't actually remember episode 2, for all I know I never watched it

Especially considering how hard they were riding on Clinton winning the presidency

Which is fucking stupid, considering that the last few times I think they were boasting how they made TWO episodes in preparation, and aired the correct one depending on who ones.

Anyone else just expecting Butters to cuck Eric?

I fucking hope so, Cartman is so boring this season, the joke got old after the first episode it was in.

can anyone give me sauce on the music the memberberries were listening to in the white house?

youtube.com/watch?v=FTQbiNvZqaY

Right last season had a good mix. This season has wasted potential.

thx

I just enjoy Cartman being BTFO and Butters growing some balls.

I'm only enjoying this season for the Gerald plot.
mildly enjoying Butter's crusade and his cucking of Cartman

>Oh, he's pressing pickle.

>Butters quit smushing sausage, you have a visitor.

>4 above 6
Dis nigga

>6 above 4
Yeah if you like ewoks and nothing happening, sure

>friend of a friend of mine is a fan of SP
>we had a rough start, but we were actually bonding so well over SP, despite having its weaknesses
>He already didn't take it so well when I said the election episode was probably going to suck due to T&M most likely expecting a Clinton, and I was right

How do I break it to him that this season is overall terrible?
The troll arch was the only consistently good thing, and now it has merged into the Clinton arch and offers very little

Gerald's "you don't know my wife" was pure gold though, but Gerald is the only reason I even bother to watch desu

Member when South Park was funny?

I am more excited for Auralnauts Star Wars parodies than the actual films.

Pepperidge Farm members.

Lucas ruined the mythic overtones (which were more Kurtz and Kerschner than Lucas, hence the prequel's andmidichlorians).

Then what the hell are you doing on Sup Forums?

>Member Storm Troopers
Yeah I member
>Not those Stormtroopers! The real old ones!
>They wanna member? We'll give em something to member!

i did not understand that? please explain

Why South Park still allowed to live?

It's like dealing with a 80 year old relative slowly agonizing to a painful disease and you want to end his suffering even tough the rest of the family doesn't want him to die.

The original soldiers that helped Hitler rise to power were called Storm Troopers.

This season would be infinitely more enjoyable if it was watched in one solid go instead of weekly.

Did you click on the image?
Nostalgia only begets nostalgia.
The Member Berries seem to default to Star Wars as a common thread of Nostalgia, but what they don't realize is even Star Wars was built on Nostalgia.
>Member WWII
>Member Flash Gordon
>Member Buck Rogers
>Member The Hidden Fortress

>Garrison!Trump is suddenly expected to control global relations within a week of becoming president.
>We see not a single person in the White House as the Memes run it over.
Where the bloody hell is Obama?

>soldiers that helped Hitler rise to power were called Storm Troopers.

Why people on the past always used such cool sounding names? For what I member, all of Hitler's special bases were named after wolves or werewolfs.

Honestly I like 3 more than 7. 3 actually borders on "so bad it's good" and has a lot of quotable lines. 7 was practically written in a lab to be beloved by people. 2 is complete dog SHIT though.

I mean, we knew that Poe was going to survive since he's part of the new trinity, but the way they went about explaining his survival (i.e. not doing so at all) was really poorly done and there was really no surprise because, again, we knew he was going to survive.

I'd rather have hit and miss episodes rather than seasons that slide off completely in the last third.

He originally wasn't going to. The script had him dying in the crash and more focus on finn as an actual character rather than comedy relief, but they changed it all because a producer thought it would be happier if he just didn't die and if finn was a goof.

This is part of why there's no character balance in the new cast.

Every single time I see people crying SOUTH PARK IS SHIT NOW it reminds me of this image.

There are threads all over Sup Forums and Sup Forums now about how bad South Park "suddenly" is.

It's been bad for years but now that they're making fun of their meme president everyone is triggered as fuck.
Nobody even gave a shit about South Park for years and then everyone was screaming BASED SOUTH PARK BASED BASED when they made fun of ultra PC liberal bullies.

Just wait until they make an episode which makes fun of liberals again and enjoy all the fickle faggots running back to "based" South Park.

tl;dr
>waaah they're only supposed to make fun of what OTHER people think, not what I think :

Also snappy uniforms made by a Fashion Designer.

>People have been making these same complaints since they switched formats
>IT'S ONLY CAUSE THEY ARE MAKING FUN OF DONALD TRUMP!

Yeah, okay.

oh I member

I'd he's on Vacay schmoozing with Merkel telling Europe to stand against the rising tide of Nationalism.

Just like real life.

I liked them
This though

I don't know, I see a lot more "South Park has become shit" threads this year than I did last year. Granted it could just be because the longer this format continues the more it frustrates fans not fond of it.

You already expressed a political blame to why you would think this. It's probably just confirmation bias at work, cause I've seen these exact same complaints for years now.

So did they use Mr. Garrison instead of Trump to avoid lawsuits?

Why doesn't someone just nuke the shit out of Denmark?

No, they used a canadian trump analogue too. They used garrison cause they thought it would be funny and didn't think trump would win at all so they wouldn't have to stick with it.

They had to scrap and redo their entire end plan for the season because trump won, so now they are just making garrison trump.

Trump couldn't sue them for anything and win anyway.

You should say overarching jokes. Jokes used through the episode, I think, are fine.

Not like he would. Trump has been a running gag in popular culture for decades.

And now he's gonna be President