Getting into comic books

After watching all of the MCU and being into geeky shit for a while I've decided I want to get into actually reading comic books. Looking around it looks like DC and Marvel have both started "ALL NEW" lines of their comics.

Should I start with them, or ignore them? I always see old famous things being recommended like Killing Joke and other famous arcs, but I don't know what to actually start reading. For example, I'm hesitant to read a lot of the more popular marvel stuff because it would either clash or be redundant with the MCU. Also, stuff like bane causing gotham to go into isolation in the dark knight rises with a nuke, vs an earthquake or something causing it in no mans land. (Although I barely watch DC movies).

Other urls found in this thread:

www16.zippyshare.com/v/w3RT6Ylj/file.html
www16.zippyshare.com/v/zgLj4sAv/file.html
www16.zippyshare.com/v/LCdax16N/file.html
www16.zippyshare.com/v/zQbGOv1r/file.html
www16.zippyshare.com/v/hpdkuVud/file.html
www16.zippyshare.com/v/EjwTqg0C/file.html
comraderecs.tumblr.com/archive/filter-by/photo
digitalcomicmuseum.com/index.php
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

As far as Marvel goes if you're looking for a recent jumping on point I say yeah just go with All-New All Different. I use the Wikipedia page as a reading guide.

Also you dont have to read EVERYTHING. Alot of people getting into comics make the mistake of trying to be completionists. But these companies put out more comics than we can read. I say if you're not enjoying a book by issue 5 just drop it and come back to it when a new writer jumps onboard.

>After watching all of the MCU and being into geeky shit
Read Hellcat, geeky gurl.

pick a character/team and go for their most lauded stories.
for Tony, its Demon in a Bottle and Armor Wars.
For X-Men, Claremont's New X-Men
for both Fantastic 4 and Doctor Strange, the original Ditko runs
etcatera etcitera

don't fret about getting everything in order. just zero in on what you want more of

Stay away from Marvel, read DC Rebirth.

IGNORE. ALL NEW.

Seriously, it's all gimmick books that are only expected to last ~6 months on average, find a character that interests you and find a reading order for them. If you like Marvel, unlimited is pretty good.

Another good way to start is to find collected stories/OGNs that are well regarded, and read those first

What characters from the MCU do you like the most? Here's some recs for some of the characters, mostly self-contained or more recent for new readers.

>Doctor Strange: The Oath by BKV
>Captain America: Man Out Of Time by Mark Waid
>Vision by Tom King
>Hawkeye by Matt Fraction
>Thor: God of Thunder by Jason Aaron (only read the God Butcher and Godbomb arcs so far but they were great)
>Daredevil: Man Without Fear by Frank Miller
>Avengers: Rage of Ultron by Rick Remender
>Guardians of the Galaxy by Abnett & Lanning

>I'm hesitant to read a lot of the more popular marvel stuff because it would either clash or be redundant with the MCU
That's stupid. The comics are better.

>Should I start with them, or ignore them?
Ignore them. Older comics are better than newer comics.

Also, you don't have to read only Marvel and DC, you should read other stuff too.

But wont I run into a ton of shit with conflicting timelines?

Everyone has everything covered already it looks like.

this. Marvel have been especially lackluster the past 2 years or so (save for Vision).

it don't matter

I got into comics for the same reasons back in 2012 and Marvel's ALL-NEW stuff is so bleh that part of me suspects this thread is an ironic shitpost.
Like seriously I was reading fucking EVERYTHING just last year and am now down to literally one issue per month. At least when I got on the ride the characters were recognizable, not mixed and matched for gimmickry's sake.

Then again this ennui's largely been brought on after reading an ungodly amount of older material and realizing just how little the actual writers care about continuity these days. The stuff I got introduced to 4 years ago was just as guilty of that but I still loved it enough that it inspired me to read an ungodly amount of older material. Maybe you'd feel the same about this generation?

What characters ya interested in, senpai? Whaddyer expect to get out of reading comics, exactly?

Don't worry too much about continuity or greater storylines. Just treat these runs as individual stories.

>Marvel have been especially lackluster the past 2 years or so (save for Vision).
Ewing and Kelly's books have been good. Carnage has been good.

Just save yourself the trouble and skip Marvel and DC. I don't know try Uber or Hellboy of something

The first thing you gotta learnnis that continuity is for autists

it's all just corporately endorsed fanfiction. don't sweat the details.
if a story says that this week Ben Grimm was actually a turkish oil wrestler before transforming into The Thing, may as well roll with it.

So read only creator-owned comics instead. When a corporation owns a comic, the authors will be constantly switching in and out, and each new author will get some detail wrong, contradicting what a previous author said. With creator-owned comics you don't have this problem, because those comics usually keep the same authors the whole way through.

Or just suck it up and learn to deal with conflicting timelines.

That's better advice for DC imo.
Continuity's more important to the Marvel experience.

Yeah but I definitely wouldn't recommend Ewing's continuity heavy books to a new reader.

Yeah, sure, and Ben and Reed are still WWII veterans.

fair point

that they were once WWII vets but no longer are because of sliding timeline is itself canon

People of OPs situation tend to be drawn to the "superhero" part more than the "comic" part senpai
Ease them into it, no point reccing Incal if it turns out they straight-up don't like the medium

Sliding Timeline nigga. Actual historical dates always get adjusted.

That is true, but I was thinking of starting with watchmen for the reason that apparently it was made specifically to take advantage of the medium

>Ease them into it, no point reccing Incal if it turns out they straight-up don't like the medium
I say the opposite.

Let them read The Incal, find out they don't like comics, and leave Sup Forums behind. Better than keeping them here to shit up our threads with Sup Forums-level discussion because they """like""" comics.

>it was made specifically to take advantage of the medium
eh, Moon Knight does it better

If you're going to start reading DC right now, it's fairly simple.
Start with DC Universe Rebirth. Read whatever Rebirth one shot interests you, then read the #1.
Go back and read the landmark events, like the various Crises.
And be willing to say "Who the hell is this?" and figure out what their deal is.

Also, don't just read capes, get some indie shit in there. Reading DC or Marvel doesn't make you a pleb, but reading ONLY capes does.

This.
I think the injustice series is a nice starting point.

Lol, are you serious or butthurt?

I just looked up new 52, and saw it was a 2011 reboot, but apparently rebirth is a 2016 reboot. Does this shit just happen all the time?

Don't start with Watchmen, start with L'Incal, by Moebius and Alejandro Jodorowsky.

www16.zippyshare.com/v/w3RT6Ylj/file.html
www16.zippyshare.com/v/zgLj4sAv/file.html
www16.zippyshare.com/v/LCdax16N/file.html
www16.zippyshare.com/v/zQbGOv1r/file.html
www16.zippyshare.com/v/hpdkuVud/file.html
www16.zippyshare.com/v/EjwTqg0C/file.html

more or less. DC has cosmic shifts every 5-10 years that alter continuity, while Marvel has a large amounts of small retcons that happen all the time

what would lead you to thinking rebirth is a reboot

Rebirth is a relaunch, not a reboot.

Reboots happen every ~25 years for DC.

Rebirth is not a reboot, and whoever tells you so is retarded.
There's a Crisis that shakes up continuity, usually trying to clean it up and failing in that regard, every 20 years or so.

It's a Relaunch, and a redirection, but not a Reboot, and is in fact bringing in older continuity.
Read Rebirth #1 and you'll understand.

>I want to read comics
Congratulations. Now what?

>Should I start with them, or ignore them?
Marvel's current stuff sucks for the most part, DC's current stuff is looking pretty good.
Either way, I don't understand why someone new would want to start with books that don't even have 10 issues before the stop dead and wait for more releases.
As a newer reader, I'd go back about a decade and look for something well-written I could really sink my teeth into for a while.

The problem is you are being so fucking unspecific, it's impossible to recommend you anything at all. We don't know what you came in here for so what are we supposed to do now?

Take this:
comraderecs.tumblr.com/archive/filter-by/photo

Setting aside the actual quality of the stories, if you want to get into comic books on the whole, Rebirth is a much better option; the stories there are a lot more "what you'd expect", while Marvel's doing a lot more Big Changes and Shake-Ups that mean ANAD and Marvel Now don't really reflect the universe or its history. Also Rebirth's "core" stories are much, much better than Marvel's, though ANAD has several good "fringe" comics.

If you want some proper Marvel reading, I'd definitely recommend Claremont's classic X-Men run. It might seem a bit dated, and it's long as fuck, but there's some excellent storytelling there and it's part of the foundation of the Marvel universe.
If you want something more recent, try Al Ewing's ANAD New Avengers and Contest of Champions; they're very fun and adventurous stories that don't rely much on knowledge of continuity.

For DC, try Superman Rebirth, Aquaman Rebirth, Green Arrow Rebirth; if you're willing to try something from before Rebirth, Grant Morrison's Batman is very good.

Ultimates will fall flat if you don't know much Marvel history, but New Avengers stands well on its own. Ewing tends to weave continuity into his stories while not requiring background reading, which is what everyone probably should do.

There are exceptions. But Marvel is putting out 50-60 books.
10 good books with 40-50 forgettable and horrible ones is still definetly what one might call lackluster.

try this website

digitalcomicmuseum.com/index.php

I recommend plastic man and the spirit to start with. I have also heard that captain marvel is good although I havent tried it yet

don't listed Sup Forums they're the masters of selective reading. Just pick a superhero or two you think looks cool or interesting and pick up their current books.

and if you like them buy old ones, and if they have characters or creators you like follow them to another book.

that's still ahead of sturgeon's law

>Hey, I don't know what stuff to read. Can you hint me to something good so I don't get burned?
>Eh, just go and read whatever the fuck, who cares.
>Wow, thanks user, great advice. I'm ordering Ultimatum as we speak right now.

got some kick ass David Finch pages in there.

Read Stan and Kirby Fantastic Four. That is literally the building blocks of the Marvel comics universe. If you find it too hokey and dated you should probably not be reading superhero comics outside of generic Alan Moore recommendations or whatever because the style of FF is the definitive Marvel book.

Read a lot of Marvel masterworks stuff. Stick to recommended DC trades and GN lists and you're set.

Marvel is continuity reliant I'd say. DC tells a lot of singular stories. Which is why I got into DC first, I'd just pick up any GN or trade that was recommended and rolled from there.

I found Marvel to be more intimidating. I knew that for the last decade their quality had been dropping though so I opted to look at the classic reprints from the Lee/Kirby era and they can be good jumping on points but early 2000's has some neat runs too from Bendis of all people and abnetts Guardians.

Just read stuff that looks interesting to you. I like magic stuff so DC really pulled me in with their vertigo line from the 90s, doctor strange is very unique too from other things. Marvel are pretty strong in the sci fi department though next to DC.

It's funny the FF movie from 2005 and the tie in cartoon is what got me into the classic comics. I really like the team dynamic though and they were my favourite marvel heroes growing up. It's a shame that they're really shafted nowadays and that they've been given so many bad adaptations, they're marvels first family, without their books success the avengers and spider man literally wouldn't exist and I don't feel as though they get much credit anymore. Secret Wars used them pretty well but they haven't had a new run in a while or tried to freshen them up.

It's funny there are a few of these threads every once in a wile and I generally kind of appreciate it because at least it isn't just faggotry, and there's generally some good recs and discussion.

But your last question is really the only way to answer these threads. "Whaddyer expect to get out of reading comics, exactly?"

This could either lead them to what they actually want to read or it could let them know that they really don't want to read comics. If you're in it for campiness or fun you choose "Z" book if you want political you chose "Y" if you just liked the action you might actually not want to read a single comic and just go watch some cartoons.