Yfw JJ Abrams is back to direct Star Wars

And how is that a bad thing again?

>subjectposters
The latest faggot brand of Sup Forums, touting their precious new toy.

How is that even a question, pal?

Force awakens was alright, so are you going to answer or not

FA was like star wars without all of the wondrous things that keep children investigating the lore and using their imagination for years of their life.

I want Lucas autism back

>I want Lucas autism back
Yeah, because that went so well in the end

You know Disney is desperate when they are forced to return to Abrams for episode 9. It's going to be such a shitshow.

It did. Regardless of any criticism of the prequels you may have, they expanded the universe and introduced thriving worlds with stories underneath each rock you turn.

What did FA introduce? Fucking NOTHING

Actually it had all those things but they didn't apply to you because you're a jaded adult

Are you that Disney shill that pretends kids haven't seen the original trilogy?

Such as? What compares to the culture of the gungans or facade of the trade federation? FA is literally just copypasting a new hope.

>What compares to the culture of the gungans or facade of the trade federation?

Force Awakens was dog shit.

>FA is literally just copypasting a new hope.
would you call that copy-pasting?

Unironically. There is nothing in FA that compares to an underwater world of amphibious creatures who align themselves with rivals for the sake of their planet's protection, or of a force of mass-produced military automation that has the power to tilt entire portions of the galaxy to their capitalistic interests, each with unique and consistent patterns that represent a culture. Hell, even the pod race was dope as fuck and brought a window to an alien world. There was nothing like these things in force awakens, just a new hope clone sprinkled with doctor who style cringe.

I actually see what you're getting at. The imagination is there in the prequels, regardless of your opinion on how well it's executed

You star wars fags deserve it you have shit taste

What do you mean, can you be more specific?

>There was nothing like these things in force awakens, just a new hope clone sprinkled with doctor who style cringe.

I never thought of TFA in those terms, but you may be on to something.

Adding to that thought, look at the creature designs of The Force Awakens: a parade of squat, dull colored, droopy mouthed aliens with squinty, wide-eyed eyes.

Compare that to the wide array of new creatures of The Phantom Menace: Gungans, Wato, Sebulba, Trade Federation, Darth Maul, members of the Jedi Council, the pod racers. Add to that list the familiar aliens from the OT that remind you that you're in the SW universe: Yoda, Jabba, Twileks, Jawas.
Other than Chewbacka and the one Nieb nub pilot, every alien creature in TFA was new.

>wide-eyed eyes.
*Wide-set eyes*

He doesnt likeluke

- Target seeking splitting magic lasers that travel across light years and whose explosions can be seen across the galaxy
- Murky setup of the political situation, leaving you wondering how each faction factors into things
- Omitting material that establishes the significance of the destroyed planets and named political figures
- Yet another death star which then gets destroyed with a quickly put together plan based on info from a deserted janitor
- Death Star just a distraction side plot to the actual goal of the story, finding Luke Skywalker
- Search for Luke gets resolved by his conveniently present droid booting up from maintenance mode after several years and presenting the map to him
- Setting up "mysteries" and questions for the sake of it, without having planned how things should pay off and fit together 2 movies down the row
- Leia randomly hugging some chick she met 2 days ago in grief over her dead ex-husband instead of the carpet that knew him longer than she did
- Awkward cgi tentacle monster action scene feeling more like a thrill ride than an actual threat
- Bad usage of characters like Phasma that he not only didn't know what to do with, but then also pretty much turned into a joke character

>yfw JJ Abrams is back

How unfortunate that JJ Abrahms and Kathleen Kennedy sidelined Leia in the Force Awakens. In The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi, she was implied by Yoda, Luke and Vader to have *As Much* potential in the Force as Luke (a potential that was actually explored in the Expanded Universe novels). If JJ Abrahms and Kathleen Kennedy wanted to actually show female a Force user and develop alternative perspectives on the nature of the Force, they should have used Leia. As a diplomat, leader, and mother, she could have used and been guided by the Force in ways we've not seen onscreen yet. Mediating disputes between contentious factions after the fall of the Empire. Inspiring hope, courage and forgiveness in those who follow her. Drawing on the selfless maternal instinct to protect and sacrifice for her children. These are just several new and compelling ways Leia could have demonstrated how the Light Side of the Force can be used for good.

What a shame JJ Abrahms and Kathleen Kennedy did Leia and Carrie Fisher such a disservice. Instead of developing a beloved and classic character in a way that elevated the story and universe of Star Wars, they took a page from fanfiction.net and inserted Rey.

Now Carrie Fisher is dead, and their failure is complete.

No it didn't. The prequels added nothing of value, What the fuck thriving worlds are you talking about? I could see that coming from the Clone Wars cartoon but we didn't get any good shit from the prequels.

You mean the clone wars cartoon which itself came out of the prequels?

It doesn't matter if it was inspired by. We are talking about the prequel movies themselves. I see that you're trying to argue something completely different.

Also, you had different writers directors and creators on that, far better than Lucas.

There is one connective thread that makes the cartoon good and the Movies bad. Lucas.

She's old and would have died soon (she did). It's more logical to build up a new female whom they can exploit for decades to come.

b-but the prequals are shit!!

What's the appeal pf Star Wars? The first one was neat watching it as a kid, but I just can't get into the new movies as an adult.

>implying 60 years old cocaine/alcohol/drug abuser was in any condition to actually act
Those tears you see in the movie?
They're real, they witheld her scotch for one take and she started having a crisis.

Carrie's mind was gone before signing the contract to these shitty movies.

Top notch spoiler buddy.

But I will add this...the problem is there dealing with a drugged out has been, any producer or director would have to be crazy to put the series on her shoulders. I mean, ffs I saw in a special feature that she had a full on meltdown during initial shooting bc she knew she sucked and didn't belong

That being said, I agree with your post, missed opportunity

>She's an old burned out druggie.

I recognize that, but they didn't have to make Fischer the lead, just add a few lines about how Leia was Luke's first student and while she didn't go full stoic monk mode, she still incorporated some Jedi teachings into her life and found ways to use the light side of Force to help lead and rebuild the Republic. Give her a line or two of Jedi wisdom mixed with Princess Leia's defiant spirit and have her demonstrate a Force ability beyond sensing when a loved one is in danger. It's that easy.
Hell, just have her wear a light saber on her hip, but never draw it. That alone would convey everything the audience needs to know: Leia has been trained as a Jedi, but uses her skills to be a diplomat, not a fighter.

Mark Hamil was very open about not liking what Jar Jar Abrams did with Luke Skywalker in episode 7.
He was also a bit doubtful of Rian Johnson's Luke Skywalker episode 8 too.

He probably got angry when Jar Jar was announced to come back for Episode 9.

Mark Hamill writen, directed and acted Luke fan film when?!

It's like a physical manifestation of /r9k/

>He doesn't like Luke
I'm sorry
>I don't like Luke either
I'll be careful
>You'll be dead!

Don't worry everyone. He will keep it safe, he will make sure no group is excluded and he will tick all of the diversity boxes. What's there to complain about?

He will make sure the most powerful character in the universe is female

He will kill off all the popular and powerful white men (Han, Luke, etc...)

Blacks, Asians and other minorities will all have roles

He will probably squeeze a couple faggots in there too

The Force is female! What's there to complain about?

>the culture of the gungans
This had better be bait.
Also,the prequels suck,you only like them because you where a child when you first saw them

>This had better be bait.
>Also,the prequels suck,you only like them because you where a child when you first saw them

Take a step back and look at Episode I and Episode VI objectively. Which one did more to develop the Star Wars universe?

Did your mother dropped you on the head when you were born?

Episode III was pretty good, actually.

I and II were alright, but to the standard of star wars back then, yeah they were trash

nice arguments
keep it up

When did Rey meet Leia before that retarded hug? I can't remember.them meeting.before that.

Who cares about "developing" the universe, you fucking autist? Star Wars isn't a documentary. What matters is how the movie works as a MOVIE, not how much inane trivia bullshit it gives you to fill up a wookiepedia article.

That said, Return of the Jedi is plenty flawed and is basically a prototype Phantom Menace in a lot of ways.

>Mark Hamil was very open about not liking what Jar Jar Abrams did with Luke Skywalker in episode 7
>He was also a bit doubtful of Rian Johnson's Luke Skywalker episode 8 too
he had a different vision of where the character was going which is natural since he isn't writing it. literally a non-story. He even said Johnson was one of his "all-time favorite directors”

>Phantom menaces comes out
>everyone hates on it

>Force Awakens comes out
>everyone hates on it

Why are star wars fans so autistic?

Ep. III = Ep. VI more or less.

Sorry, you're right, I misremembered. Let me rephrase that point:

- Leia randomly hugging some chick the moment she just met her in grief over her dead ex-husband instead of the carpet that knew him longer than she did

the only Star Wars movie i'll ever pay a ticket for is one directed by Lucas when the franchise is in flames and bought back for pennies after Disney is bankrupted by it

>some planets blow up

>Finn: "IT WAS THE REPUBLIC LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL"

This was by far the worst fucking thing delivered in the movie, especially since one of the planets that got destroyed looked a lot like Coruscant. It made it seems like they fired Death Star 3 at the core worlds which isn't even what happened.

>tfw it will be just as good as VII

>February 28, 2016

Of course every trash bloggermedia outlet thought either Bernie or Hillary would be in the White House by 2017. Also it's clear JJ was just spitting noise to keep Twitter shrills off his back.

I stopped going to the cinema after TFA. Hollywood just doesn't seem to give a shit about what they put out anymore. None of the casting decisions for the new characters seem right for the roles.

Yeah, w-well at least they had Han Solo and the Millennium Falcon. That was epic!

I just can't bring myself to understand how that scene made it through the entire editing and review process without someone catching it. It is actually, literally in the truest sense of the word impossible to justify.

No, it's just that in 2016, he wasn't involved in Star Wars so he could talk out of his butthole like he likes to do.

>tfw when I get to enjoy comfy space fantasy movies and watch Sup Forums sperg out at the same time

>a fanbase that actually criticizes the thing they love out of a want for excellence is autistic
get back to /got/ you fucking sheep

I regretted buying a ticket for TFA instead of Sicario. I'll never give Disney a penny again. It's the most toxic studio currently operating. every single movie is a reboot disguised as a sequel, they did it again with POTC

Rian beat him to the punch with Amilyn Holdo

They should just re cast Leia or anybody else that dies. Forget the cgi shit.

still better than trevorrow

>When did Rey meet Leia before that retarded hug? I can't remember.them meeting.before that.

They did not meet prior to that moment. Rey was captured by Kylo Ren before Leia showed up. Everything Leia knew about Rey came from Finn, an Imperial defector she just met.

Word on the street is she worked out and re habbed like a madman (woman) to make herself presentable for the part.

All the stress of trying to maintain it is probably what killed her.

say what you want about Trevorow, he's not a feminist so he wouldn't let KK make him his bitch like she did to JJ

No. Not by a longshot.

kids LOVED the prequels
Even Boyega admitted he was introduced to the franchise through them and didn't see the OT until much later

It was the autistic fanbase that complained

>Snyder's cut of Justice League vs Whedon's "minor" changes

>get back to /got/ you fucking sheep
lol
/got/ fucking hates game of thrnes

Are you shitting me? Of course it's important to "develop" the universe. These aren't individual or independent movies of each other. These 9 movies, together tell ONE story.

So, yes, it is necessary to set a tone and develop the universe.

Star Wars is just George Lucas making his own version of Flash Gordon, same as Indiana Jones is just him writing his own version of Treasure of the Sierra Madre and other pulp adventure stories he watched as a kid. Phantom Menace is a terrible movie but it clearly expresses this boyish sense of adventure and excitement which is the only way a SW movie can work.

Here comes a shot-for-shot remake of Return of the Jedi with more lens flare.

G.L. was the all time GOAT creator of character, creature and ship design.

This is not debatable.

You can debate his storytelling skills sure, but that's it.

I think you should lool of the difference between being influenced bu something and copying something.

Frim an artistic perspective one is perfectly acceptable while the other is not.

Fucking spelling.
Look up the difference between copying and being influenced by something.

There is literally nothing artisticly wrong with being influenced by something. On the other hand flat out copying something is for hacks.