Just so you know: College is free until the year 2017, unless you make over $80k/year...

Just so you know: College is free until the year 2017, unless you make over $80k/year. It's called the American Opportunity Act.
Not only can people qualify for the pell grant, the American Opportunity Act is a tax credit of 100% of the first $2000 of tuition, books, and fees, and 25% of the next $2000 (up to $2500).
So people who qualify for the pell grant get their tuition paid TWICE.
Who ever wants to COMPLAIN about how expensive college is, GIVE ME A FUCKING BREAK.
Now you know.
This "American Opportunity Act" is only good for one more year. Get a move on.
There are two other types of tax credits "Lifetime Learning Credit," and "Hope Scholarship Tax Credit", which will credit you up to $1000 and $2000, respectively, which do NOT expire. This isn't a deduction, where you pay less in taxes; It's a tax credit, which means you get that much back, dollar for dollar.
Even if you have to pull out student loans, you can use this tax credit to pay back your loans every year.

You have no idea how many bernouts I tried to convince this was true.

Bump for some reality in this swamp of feces.

But dosen't it cost way the fuck more than 2K dollary doos?

>ends 2017
Nice you gave us 2 semesters of college, MAYBE.
Only 3 more years.

2000 wouldn't pay for your fucking books in a year and in some cases a semester. 4k if you double it wouldn't cover books and room+board for one.
(hes retarded)

Yes. Most state colleges(the shitty ones that are basically high school +) can cost upwards of $4500 a semester.

Great, use more tax revenue to waste half a decade of your life and enter the workforce later with no experience. Great solution, worked out for all of the other college grads, too.

I'm a journeyman welder and my trade school was entirely paid for for free by the government. I am not furthering my education as a computer repair tech. You may say there are no jobs but I think youre just a bunch of unemployable man babies

Not true, I finished my BA in Enginering at UPRMayaguez with only that scholarship, never paid a penny of my own.

am now*

Wish we could introduce some type of bill that would categorize school books and tuition. Companies and sellers can only market them on a set price, and can not drive that price any higher.

If a math book is priced at $40. I doesn't go up; it stays at $40.

Colleges could only charge so much for tuition.

We don't need anyone paying for high priced crap, not the government, the students, or the school, because the providers of those products will take advantage of that.

If we have a bill like that, then colleges can pay part of the tuition or material, and students can pay the rest without blowing their pocket book.

>t. never been to college
In the last 3 years I've spent maybe a combined total of $1300 on textbooks, with two of them costing $350 each because they're the ones that were actually important.

I'm talking about the US. Fafsa covers everything for us in PR. And OP clearly isn't from PR.

I went to Boston University and it cost over $60,000 per year.

Holy shit $2000 op?

Kill yourself

yeah you went to a university, of course its going to cost 60k and you still make less than me. your stupid

>really makes the neurons fire

youre

>You may say there are no jobs
No one said this. Your lack of reading skills is a perfect example of why you went into trades.

i make 115k plus stock options at 26

i'm guessing you're a faggot

also nice english language skills

(that's sarcasm)

Fuck you Nigger, my family makes barely 50k a year, and Pell hasn't done shit for me, nor Fasfa.

I just want an America with all these school grants and federal funding to fucking disappear, so the free market can actually reduce these Bullshit prices.

So PR is better if you want a -study for free- college level education? Cool.

if you make so much money hotshot why are you bitching about a measly 60k uni debt, what are u a bitch. also too late to you have to face the argument I already corrected my spelling

Sort of. I wouldn't recommend it to those in the US coming here unless they know spanish well. And only if they apply to the good UPR campus. Unless it's for engineering like you then Maya is the best for that.

My comments are for good schools in the US.

Those dubs dont lie

College is expensive, even if the government floats the bill for non-retards who actually bother applying for aid.

The problem isn't my personal burden, but the growing burden this is placing on an already thin stretched public welfare system.

The cracks are already showing, in my last year at uni, the IL government cut funding for the MAP grant, despite it "not even being on the table as something to cut".

We need serious cutbacks on administrative costs that the uni system has taken up in the past few decades.

You are pulling this out of your ass

You're not going to qualify for the Pell Grant unless you make less than 20k a year. Or unless your parents make 20-30k a year and you are under the age of 24.

>paying for books you don't plan to keep

I know I can't expect much of average people to figure this out, but people really need to stop encouraging the book publishers by giving in to their shitty economic model.

Luckily I'm a math major and people in math have a more egalitarian view of information, so pretty every book can be found cheaply somewhere or the professors just copy the text illegally and email us the needed pages

Yeah, but the hidden cost there is having to live in PR

My Dad claims me as a dependent and makes 125k/year

I'm also white

I received ~9k/semester in finicial aid and another 10k in scholarships (private engineering uni). So you are full of shit and I honestly think most people must just not be applying since they assume they won't get money

I literally just called HR block and they told me it's $1000 refundable. You get up to $1500 tax credit only if you OWE taxes - up to $1500.

Colleges are entering a new period where they are catering mostly to foreign out of country tuition students. The US as a whole is migrating from service based industry to service based industry for immigrants with money and this won't end well for its people.

>Financial aid

What does this even mean? You get loans? Big fucking deal

So op was lyin'!

it's fine really

Problem with higher education is that cost has increased 1200% over last 40 years about 4 times the rate of inflation... what changed is the culture of academia... 50 years ago, academic institutions were focused on teaching and preparing students for professions. A professor would give n average 10 lecture a week... now, the average is about 3 lectures a week... Academia is more concerned in propping up Utopian bubbles for over-privileged self-indulgent career academicians who want to get paid for their precious "research", rather than serving students. Academicians spend most of the time reading articles, and publishing their own thoughts... Most are just re-hashing the same ideas, back and forth over and over again... It's a massive circle jerk without happy ending. If we want to make higher education free, we need to tackle the cost, by REGULATING academia... we can start by separating teaching and "research"... Academia shouldn't be allowed to hold students, who must have a degree for their profession, hostage to irrelevant "research"... If we, the taxpayers, are expected to pay for education, we must be able to regulate the institutional abuses...

PER YEAR idiot

$60,000 per year

luckily i received over $35,000 in scholarships and then did the whole government subsidized loan thing.

and i'm not bitching, just pointing out OPs a retard who thinks that Pell Grants cover tuition costs when it's literally 1/30th of the overall price.

You make well above the 70k, living with dignity mark. Why are you even commenting?

>unless you make over $80k/year

>you

Does that include parents or guardian?

He's 240k in the hole. Maybe take 40k off. 200k is a lot of money. Just because he makes 100k doesn't mean he can pay of his debt in two years.

>Didn't know about this
I missed out on a lot of easy credit...

Yeah, I'm in a similar boat and I got four years community college (got AS and ADN degrees) and a few years at CSU school paid for by pell grant.

rent in the bay area is at least $1,700 for a room

plus taxes are 35%

take-home pay is actually not great.

>87766084
35k left :^)

Not for someone making nearly 120k a year.
Rent cheap, buy a shitty car, pay it off in less than a few years.
He obviously possesses the skills and communication competency to land a good job, won't be hard for him to keep that caliber of a job for the rest of his life.