So did this guy become the sorcerer supreme in like two months or what?

So did this guy become the sorcerer supreme in like two months or what?

Other urls found in this thread:

screenrant.com/doctor-strange-mcu-timeline-year/
digitalspy.com/movies/doctor-strange/news/a812436/where-does-doctor-strange-fit-in-the-mcu-timeline/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

He's still not quite Sorcerer Supreme by the end of the movie, but he practiced his magic quite a bit in the thousands of deaths against Dormammu.

In the movies he became the sorcerer supreme because everyone above him is fucking dead.

Nobody said he was sorcerer supreme in the movie.

...Well, when I heard about the soldier with the broken spine I assumed it was the poor sap from 'Iron Man 2'. Only later did someone point out it was probably Rhodey.

I personally thought it was more like a year...

>So did this guy become the sorcerer supreme in like two months or what?

No. Technically he's not even finished with his training yet. He's advancing faster than the average initiate, but he's not done by the end of the movie.

>Only later did someone point out it was probably Rhodey.

It's not though. Doesn't fit Rhodey's M.O. He's older than 35, doesn't pilot an experimental suit and is higher in rank than a Colonel.

It's the same with every American 80s martial flick and the lead completing a lifetime of training in 2 months or less with a montage and defeating a horrible Asian stereotype who trained his entire life

>It's not though. Doesn't fit Rhodey's M.O. He's older than 35, doesn't pilot an experimental suit and is higher in rank than a Colonel.

Ah! So that would place the first act around the same time as Iron Man 2.

Huh, must be the Hammer flunky who got his spine completely twisted.

You'll know he's the Sorcerer Supreme when it's the subtitle of one of the sequels.
He hasn't even got the fucking collar yet.

Yeah, it's got to be at least five years over all with about a year to 18 months in kung fu Hogwarts.
That was my impression anyway

Scott Derrickson says it's neither. Don't try to make sense out of that scene, he's driving a 2016 Lambo, after all.

Scott Derrickson confirmed that the spinal injury is neither Rhodey or the Iron Man 2 guy and that the events of the movie takes place over a year leading up to present day

>Not being rich enough to import your cars from the future

Pleb please.

He's not the Sorcerer Supreme, didn't you pay attention to the movie? He's just the master of the New York Sanctum.

Laziest film in terms of keeping MCU continuity

So many oversights and unexplained points in the timeline

>Scott Derrickson says it's neither.

A throwaway ref? I don't think so.

No, see, all of the supertech in Marvel just means that their cars are a few years ahead of ours in features and design.

What spinal injury are we talking about?

Also, what's up with the mid-credits Thor scene? Thor says he and Loki are on Earth looking for Odin, but as of now, Loki is pretending to be Odin after faking his own death. Does the scene take place during Thor 3, or did a bunch of interesting stuff happen off-screen?

Where? And why is it even in the movie then if it doesn't refer to anyone, when it would have been perfect? What an idiot.

or Strange just fucked the timeline up by messing with the time gem

And he's not a Marine, he's air force.

>Does the scene take place during Thor 3, or did a bunch of interesting stuff happen off-screen?
Both, I'd expect. Maybe the arrival of Hela demands some shifting of priorities and alliances, because in set photos, it looks like Loki and Thor are wearing Earth plainclothes to blend in, Thor gets a card with doctor Strange's address on it, and Odin is on Earth as a hobo.

It's a scene from Ragnarok, just like the end of ant man had a scene from Civil War

He's explicitly not Sorcerer Supreme yet. That's for the sequel

Yes, it's from Thor 3 like that CW scene being in Ant-Man

Nope, just laziness. Its been happening since Marvel and Marvel studios broke up. It's why you have the same actress from Luke cage and civil war playing two people

screenrant.com/doctor-strange-mcu-timeline-year/

>Marvel and Marvel studios broke up

Wat.

Why not just pretend it was the Iron Man 2 guy? It was such a specific line, it seems like the only reason it wouldn't be the Hammer guy is if it just never occurred to them

digitalspy.com/movies/doctor-strange/news/a812436/where-does-doctor-strange-fit-in-the-mcu-timeline/

Apparently it's a leftover from a script where it's supposed to be Rhodey, but ultimately it's not

I don't remember the source, but I heared the film took place in a year(as in 365 days from start to finish), so I'm guessing his life as a Doctor was in October 2015, so after Age of Ultron but before Civil war.

>digitalspy.com/movies/doctor-strange/news/a812436/where-does-doctor-strange-fit-in-the-mcu-timeline/

Can we even count this, I mean there are scripts for return of the jedi where luke and leia aren't siblings, we don't count those its still weird they kiss in episode 5.

I hate this. Why do we have continuity directors if not for stuff like this? It would have been elegant.

Avenger's tower is clearly visible in at least one shot.

For a movie that kept talking about patience it really did go by too fast huh?

Seriously, had the movie token its time, developing Strange's training as well as the villain (who was so unremarkable I don't even remember his name) it could have been the next Iron Man.

>MFW Iron Fist gets dragged as a "White Saviour", but doesn't hit all the stereotypical points, yet Doctor Strange who does get off Scott free.

Good point, complaint withdrawn

Yeah, and that's Barda's job.

In his apartment is an award dated for 2016. It fills the entire screen, you guys.

How long will take Jaden to achieve the same level of skill?

Actors should never be allowed to raise children.

>and is higher in rank than a Colonel.

So he's a general?

I hate this. HAAAAATE.

He's already a zen master.

He's running the Sanctum Sanctorum in New York, he's not the Sorcerer Supreme yet.

White privilege

I always felt like Will would be a great dad but clearly something went wrong

>...Well, when I heard about the soldier with the broken spine I assumed it was the poor sap from 'Iron Man 2'. Only later did someone point out it was probably Rhodey.
Me too. Except later I found out it wasn't Rhodey either.

Well relatively he's probably fucking ancient, I don't think Dormammu tires easily.

But that's how it happened in the comics, you FUCKING IDIOT

The question is: when did the accident happened?

Because I don't think he'd even have healed like he did in the span of a year, do the accident can't be in 2016. But everything poits to it. The 2016 prize, the 2016 lambo, the updated Avengers tower in NY background.

So, he spent quite some time healing from several surgeries,and researching all possible different medicines to treat his hands THEN traveled to Kamar Taj and almost reached master level.

If his accident is not in 2016, that would fiz the movie's weird time span, and fix the Zola algorith issue. If it's in 2016, then Marvel fucked up big time.

>this many typos
Forgive me.

You guys need to quit worrying about continuity and just enjoy the movie for what it is.

Ditto for comics. The writers don't care nearly as much as you do, so stop stressing. Just enjoy the stories individually and enjoy the parts when they intersect.

I liked seeing the Avengers Tower and when Wong mentioned them, doesn't mean I'm gonna obsess over what exact moment in the timeline it was when I saw and heard those things.

So you read the comics. So then you realize the answer.

>The question is: when did the accident happened?
His dashboard looked pretty high tech. Maybe someone can analyze it later, and it displays the date somewhere.

Probably a bit longer than 2 months, but yeah he climbed pretty quick. I appreciated that he struggled a lot at first, but was let down that after that everything became a breeze to him because of "photographic memory."

Also figure in he's not as afraid of messing with time as his peers, so he can get more done. Still, he wasn't Sorcerer Supreme, just one of the last guys left standing. He was"Master Strange," much to his dismay.

Wong? Shouldn't all the weight be falling on him since Mordo left?

I thought the same thing since it was so specific.

I'd expect the accident happened somewhere around 8 months to a year prior to going to India. Probably something like a month or 2 of recovery, followed by half a year of follow up surgeries and wasting his fortune.

I assumed the movie ended with there being no Sorcerer Supreme, with Strange obviously on track to assume the title but he hasn't earned it yet.
Does Strange have some upcoming appearance in an MCU movie where he's already said to have that title?
As for how long Strange trains with the Ancient One, Wong acts like he's learning unusually fast, and Strange mentions earning two different doctorates at the same time.
So it's fair to say that Strange is supposed to be learning magic a little too quickly and easily, since the script tries to justify it by talking up his exceptional talent for learning.

Yes, he successfully bargained for the position

So, just like real life

benedict cumberbatch is fucking ugly as sin

No, Professor Normal is not the Sorcerer Supreme yet. They specifically state that shit will be bad once word gets around that Earth has no Sorcerer Supreme to defend it.
He probably will be by the start of his second movie, but probably not in his cameo in Thor 3.

>Master of the Mystic Arts

HE wasn't declared sorcerer supreme
It was mentioned Earth didn't have one anymore
He constantly fucks up in th emovie
He beats no foe by outpowering them, only by luck or tricks

Wasn't it mentioned when Strange was caught using the Eye of Agomoto that he seemed to be born with a knack for the arts, beyond just learning or photo-like memory?

Yeah, they asked when he learned the litany of spells necessary to do what he did. He's clearly prevented as incredibly gifted without really needing to work for any of it other than his initial trouble in making the sling-ring work. After that he was pretty much instantly better at everything than everyone else.

Whenever he figures out why we can drink a drink but can't food a food.

>He beats no foe by outpowering them, only by luck or tricks
Loved that. Classic early Strange right there.

Its a miracle Strange didnt go insane after his gambit with Dormammu. We have no idea how long it took for Dormammu to finally cave, and perhaps the only thing that kept Strange going was practicing defensive spells.

Strange can't into patience, hence why he was "borrowing" advanced books and reading in astral form while he slept.

>Strange can't into patience, hence why he was "borrowing" advanced books and reading in astral form while he slept.
Yet, that is shown when he couldn't be bothered with traditional rehab and would rather try experimental crazy shit that may work faster.

>and fix the Zola algorith issue

For the 400th time, there is no issue. The Russos have said that Strange was name dropped because even though he wasn't Sorcerer Supreme at the time, he was still identified as someone who would not submit to Hydra rule. That was the whole point of the scene - "Zola's algorithm analyzes a target's past to determine their future."

Whether Strange became the Sorcerer Supreme or not, he would not have submitted to tyranny.

>But why was he mentioned by name?

Because he was a world famous surgeon. Sure, he's mentioned alongside Bruce Banner, but he's also mentioned alongside a high school student from Iowa. The whole point was that the algorithm identifies current (Banner) and potential (Strange and student) threats alike.

>I assumed the movie ended with there being no Sorcerer Supreme

It does, and I'm pretty sure Derrickson confirmed it.

I don't know why people are freaking out - Strange is very clearly still new to the mystic arts by the time the movie ends. It was more him temporarily punching above his weight than true mastery.

Yeah... Strange laying as long as he did a against the main villian and his goons while drumm and everyone else died in a heartbeat was cliché bullshit

that's not what M.O means, smart guy

They're just trying to force a meme. Don't give them the satisfaction, it's been explained thoroughly in every Mister Doctor thread

February 2nd was a Tuesday this year.

They fucked up pretty hard in this movie. you don't do 7 god damn surgeries in less than a year. The amount of downtime for PT you do and not just losing the hands. All this 2016 stuff was a bad move. It should have taken place over a full year at least.

well we have our next Dr voodoo

Any faggot with a photographic memory can memorize every incantation in the library like Strange did in two months and know every spell in existence. It's learning to fight with magic that takes longer.

Pretty lucky for earth that Strange came along because all of those sorcerers earth had protecting it were weak as shit.

Captain Marvel

>enemy is a magician
>not just using normal steel since magic is weak to swords
why are villains dumb

What? No.

He got his ass kicked by Kaecillius, Mordo and the Cloak had to do most of the fighting, and he only ever managed to defeat one Zealot in a straight-up fight.

That wasn't exactly a straight-up fight considering the cardiac paddles are what actually killed the guy.

We don't know how long he was Groundhog Day-ing around with Dormammu.

Could've been twenty minutes subjective time, could've been twenty years. All depends on how long it took Dormammu to crack.

Scientology.

Strange totally knew that, didn't you see him trying to go for the axe on the wall while the cloak was trying to tug him to the binding cage?

Kinda seems like Jaden is the only one who is weird

NNNOOOOHHHHHH!!!!

Why? WHY???

God, I hope not. Then again, how will her origin work, anyway? Without one of Marvel's most iconic characters?

Carol is a cripple now?

I think I know how.
>Tony does thing
There, now you have Captain Marvel.

>A throwaway ref? I don't think so.
Yes so. They want to imply that strange shit happen all the time in the MCU and that most of it are undocumented. Don't assume that anything that happens had to have something to do with existing canon.

American humans are the most powerful race in the universe,

Lets see
his training buddy was a evil hack
Dhjengis is too old, and doesn't really care
Some of the other high tier sorcerers doesn't want to deal with Planar invasions.
Ancient One didn't actually retire until he died.

What if the movie started in early 2016 and ended in mid to late 2017?

Why was Hydra targeting a famous neurosurgeon who had no connection to anything magical or supernatural before his accident?

algorithms

This, he was pretty under-powered. Sure he could hang long enough for a decent fight, but the movie made it clear that it went through a couple of timeskips throughout his training, especially with how he was readily sparring with Mordo. Even then, most of the time he got his ass handed to him in a straight up fight.

His greatest weapon was how ridiculously good he was at memorizing spells and shit, and that's exactly what worked in favor of him during his final confrontation with Dormammu.

Look, it's not hard to figure out.

Will Smith is a really friendly outgoing guy who rubs everyone the right way and encourages people to do what they want to do.

While that's great for helping out friends and ingratiating yourself with people, it's garbage for raising a functional child. When your kid says something like "how can mirrors be real if our eyes aren't real" you don't go "Very insightful! Explore that more!," you laugh and explain why that's fucking stupid. Yeah, your kid feels a little bad for a split-second, but now he's not fucking wrong anymore.

I'm not a father and never want to be, but if I had a son and he went to a family friend's wedding in a full white batsuit I'd beat his ass until that suit was red

Deleted scenes confirm he was there for thousands of loops and remembers each death

>Kinda seems like Jaden is the only one who is weird

Nah. The daughter's fucked up too. Not as much as Jaden, but still a wierdo.

Will's eldest is the only one to came out properly.