Shelf/Recent Purchases Thread

Post shelves/recent purchases

I'm the user who recently purchased a bunch of the Moench/Sienkiewicz Moon Knight issues from the last thread. The remaining bunch of issues just came in today

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/Wolverine-Complete-Collection-Bill-Jemas/dp/130290471X/ref=sr_1_70?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1479515224&sr=1-70&keywords=marvel comics&refinements=p_n_feature_eighteen_browse-bin:7421485011
youtube.com/watch?v=9u0XEU5fKDU
amazon.com/dp/1417709049/
amazon.com/dp/0375703764
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

and here's the first bunch that came in

Is origin any good?

amazon.com/Wolverine-Complete-Collection-Bill-Jemas/dp/130290471X/ref=sr_1_70?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1479515224&sr=1-70&keywords=marvel comics&refinements=p_n_feature_eighteen_browse-bin:7421485011

Nice!
I think it's great. If you like Wolverine it's definitely worth a shot. It's less of an origin, and more of just a beginning so don't expect it to completely fill in everything up to modern Wolvie.

1/2

2/2

>not getting essential marvel Moon Knight vol 2 instead

Sienkiewicz's draws in black and white are noice.

ehh I prefer color to black and white, plus I wanted to collect all the single issues in the run

Origin II is terrible, but the original Origin was groundbreaking when it came out. It probably doesn't seem so impressive now since the movies adapted it some, but it's good comics.

Try to find just the original Origin tpb for $5 and save your money though.

>Put an 'eh, might as well' bid on two Hellboy figures
>Win both
Damn, it feels good to get them for retail, but I really shouldn't be impulse buying shit this close to Christmas. Not looking forward to hunting down the rarer ones, though.

bump

I forgot I also got a Funko Pop Wolverine this week.

Shelf 1/3

And 3/3, currently reading through Deadly Hands.

go complete Kirby's 4th World

What are the chances of DC reprinting the Red Robin series? They're OOP.

On topic part of post: My next recent purchase will be the first two Chuck Dixon Tim Drake Robin trades and other Robin books.

I don't think DC reprints anything but Watchmen by this point.

you know what'd be cool? if there was some boardmember of AT&T who pushed to buy Time Warner just so that he could force DC to start reprinting shit he likes.

>DC
>reprinting
Pick one

Well. DC is reprinting a bunch of Dixon work like BoP and Nightwing. They are also printing Waid's Flash which I thought they'd never do. Plus Cass Batgirl. The cool thing about those books is that they collect twice the number of comics from their original paperback collections. I would kill not to have to pay OOP prices on Red Robin trades AND get twice the number of issues in reprinted collections.

up

Anyone know if Big Damn Sin City is getting reprinted?

Was about to buy it but it shot up overnight. Debating on whether or not i'll just buy HCs of the trades

I got it for half price on CGN's new Nick and Dent section. There's literally nothing wrong with it, still in the shrinkwrap. I'm waiting until Miller finally croaks so I can sell it for mad dosh.

My LCS is doing a 25% off all back issues sale for LCSD tomorrow so I plan on getting a couple of Rebirth titles I've been missing out on. Other than that my LCS sucks when it comes to sales, wish he would do some sales for the nice ass HCs he's never gonna sell at full retail price. Atleast there's IST's Black Friday sale to look forward to next week.

got this for 5 dollars, all is in french but still good

DC will find any way possible to reprint Watchmen.

Have you read the a lot of Moon Knight? I'd like to know how the Huston/Benson run compares.

Love me some Moon Knight, mostly have collected editions. though I do have Issue #1 of that series as a """"Collectors"""" Item

Been buying a lot of books lately that I've read a million times but never owned. About time I pay my torrenting debts.

Picked these up from my LCS for 30 australian dollarydoos each.

Next up is the Sandman....my poor wallet..then probably Morrisons Animal Man.

nice!

Dat's alot of Marvel omnis.

I need to pick up the other three Lucifer books.

I've only read the first 12 issues or so a couple years back so I can't really compare

>all those omnis
jelly af

just wait a bit to see if they reprint it
are you on life support or something? what's the hurry?

2/4

CAPTAIN MARVEL SILVER AGE OMNIBUS WHEN?

how's the binding and paper quality on those epic collections?

clean that shelf up

Was pretty glad I managed to pick this up this week

No idea why the image flipped like that. It's right side up in my files.

Not bad. Legionaires and Checkmate are getting reprints due to Rebirth character interest.
When Tim gets out of limbo for the next Crisis, he's bound to get some stuff released.

I don't know where you get your delusions, but Legionnaires gets reprinted because Mark Waid wrote it, Checkmate because Greg Rucka wrote it.
It was probably a deal between them and DC to keep them bound.
If one of them had wrote a longer stint on Robin, it would have gotten reprinted.

What's the most based collection a publisher's ever done?
My vote goes to DC's 26 volume The Spirit archives.

Absolute Sandman

the complete zap comix
youtube.com/watch?v=9u0XEU5fKDU

chronicles of conan/king conan/kull/savage sword of conan
it's literally everything conan-related marvel ever turned out except for a single fucking issue of conan the barbarian. it's around 50 books by now I think, need to check later.

>except for a single fucking issue of conan the barbarian
You know that now I have to ask why that one issue isn't collected, right?

I don't know, will post again in half and hour, heading out for nightshift now.

Fantagraphics' Complete Peanuts.

bump

the promethea omnibus that DC was planning to do with the huge fold out issue was going to be quite something
too bad it's shelved till god knows when

The Goon #4 is on its way, apparently. Main wishlist bits include -

>Sandman Absolutes - £200
>Scott Pilgrim 2-6 HCs - £70ish
>Invisibles + The Filth - £75
>Zenith - £30
>Transmetropolitan Absolutes - £90
>Baltimore HCs - £75
>Fables and Y:TLM Deluxes - £200

And that's just the big stuff - never mind all the smaller series and bits I want to pick up. Probably £1000 all told.

Fuck. I need a second job to feed my habit.

Remind me to take better pictures.

not Sup Forums but how is that copy of house of leaves? Ive been meaning to delve into the whole thing and was wondering if I should splash on the edition you have?

okay I just went through everything related and the reason a few issues (064, 066, 067, 068, 078, 087, 094 and 116) are omitted is because

The run itself has 275 issues and 12 annuals, annual 01 & 03 are reprints, the rest is aready in the TPBs. the most recent TPB (33) was released this month and it collects issues 259-267 so that leaves 8 more uncollected issues, which is exactly 1 TPB.

All 55 issues of King Conan/Conan the King are collected, as are all 235 issues of Savage Sword of Conan. Didn't look up Kull yet and frankly don't have the time right now.

Anyway: on comicbookdb I found some infos about the issues that weren't reprinted:
>Issue 064: Series inker Steve Gan was not able to deliver the cover-featured story, so issues #64 contains a reprint of Savage Tales #5. The story occurs between the events of Conan #44-45.

>Issue 066: no info. I'm guessing it's because Red Sonja is in it though

>Issue 067: Continued from Conan The Barbarian #66 and marvel Feature: Red Sonja #6. Continues in Marvel Feature: Red Sonja #7.
as I thought.

>Issue 068: this one is reprinted in chronicles of Kull TPB 03

>Issue 078: Reprints Savage Sword of Conan 001

>Issue 087: Reprints Savage Sword of Conan 003

>Issue 094: No info here whatsoever, this issue apparently hasn't been reprinted anywhere.

>Issue 116: Reprints the so called Book and Record Set (45 rpm) (1974) PR31. It's already reprinted in one of the TPBs

So yeah, The Red Sonja issues are probably planned to be released somewhere else, that logically just leaves Issue 094 out and I don't know why. That one and the Red Sonja related issues were all done by Thomas/Buscema so you can rule out Alan-Moore-type problems.

I've been working my way through some Batman recently. Do you suggest this?

hah, should have read through that again, the first sentence is fucked up

Here are my November purchases. I also got solomon kane vol 1 on amazon

Got back from my LCS today. Owner was being a cheap piece of shit that wouldn't look through his extra stock in the white boxes he keeps on the bottom shelves and give me 25% off those. He purposely put all his shit books in the regular back issue boxes today so nobody could get to the good shit. What a cheap cuck.

Is that the Trade or the Library Binding?
In any case, always go for the LB if it's affordable, you won't find anything sturdier than that except if you can travel back in time and ask the monks of some medieval monastery to make a proper leatherbound book on uterine vellum parchment for you, which should cost you around 50 Gold-Taler and which would take another half a year to make.

Library Binding:
amazon.com/dp/1417709049/

Regular Trade:
amazon.com/dp/0375703764

I finally need to get me a copy as well...

the red sonja omnibus stuff collects the 2005 series by the way. if you were looking for classic red sonja stuff you should have gone for the 3 adventures of red sonja TPBs.

it was probably the idea in the first place, you know? getting rid of the shit stock.

I already have them

oh all right.

Yeah but he was being a cuck today, wasn't even asking for much just some of the rebirth back issues I missed on Supergirl and Superwoman.

You seem to be really into Conan... so I will ask.. Whats the diff between Dark Horse Conan and all the stuff you were just talking about? i picked up a random DH Busiek conan trade a week or so ago and i like it but is it just a diff take on the character altogether? same stories told in slightly diff ways?

People seem to covet the collosal conan omni so i wanted to check some of that out, but now I'm wondering whats up. lol

>you won't find anything sturdier than that except if you can travel back in time and ask the monks of some medieval monastery to make a proper leatherbound book on uterine vellum parchment for you, which should cost you around 50 Gold-Taler and which would take another half a year to make

hah! hahah....

>Yeah but he was being a cuck today

Ok look, I wasn't going to do this but you said it twice, the words you're looking for are either Cunt, or Cock, or just simply "Cheap Bastard"

cuck means absolutely nothing in this scenario, I know its a meme but at least reserve the idiotic word to when its at least tangentally related.

unless of course the owner of your lcs is married and his wife is fucking another dude with his approval, I don't know your life. lol

The new Dark Horse stuff is a modernization and reimagining of the character. Classic Conan is more silver/bronze age influence. The pacing is typically silver/bronze age while the modern Conan is more focused on, well, plot, action and all that shit.
The classic run was pioneered by Roy Thomas and Steve Buscema, they're really a great team, while most of the new stuff was written by Kurt Busiek, who is also a really great Conan writer. You can see how he both read the classic Conan runs by Thomas AND read the actual stories by Howard because he sometimes adds shit that wasn't in the classic run (too bloody or too sexual).
It's both really good, mind you, since literally anything works with Conan.
And the Colossal Conan is just a symbol of status. The HCs and trades are as good. There' sa new Omnibus type TPB run coming out, the first one is going to be released in december I think.
And while we're at it, you may also want to take a look at the original stories of Howard because they're fucking awesome in their own right.
He always managed to get it just right, you just have to like Conan even though he's a scoundrel and vagabond, sometimes an asshole and a thug, but he's always ready to defend a damsel in distress and the stories itself are very captivating and you never feel that he's a marty-stu character.
I always feels it's a fucking shame that Howard decided to shoot his head off so early.
So yeah, both new and old Conan are pretty awesome. I'm not particularly a fan of the late 80s to early 2000s stuff though, it kind of feels lackluster.
Also if you're going for the novel books, only get Howard's stuff, an overwhelming amount of books written by other writers is just shit.

>There' sa new Omnibus type TPB run coming out, the first one is going to be released in december I think.
they're also reprinting the colossal conan

yeah there was apparently a batch coming at bookdepository and I was really interested but I was out of funds at the time and the price shot up like mad. Besides, I don't order at bookdepository any more after a few really bad delivery experiences. if there's any other source with a proper price you know I'd gladly appreciate it if you shared it of course because amazon sure as hell doesn't offer any new Colossal Conan copies.

It'll be $84 on instocktrades. just wait for it to get reprinted in December or January

What's the best way to start getting into Usagi Yojimbo? Just like with Dredd, start with the first TPB and work my way up, or is it more complicated than that?

I'm trying to slow down with how much I spend, so I'm limiting my self to 50$ every check.

Going to finish up Preacher next, and continue working on the Judge Dredd stuff. Working on some Batman, and I'll continue to work trough invincible soon. Recommendations are always welcome.

Just like that actually, the only thing is the first 7ish trades are published by Fantagraphics and the rest are Dark Horse

Well, that's convenient. I like when series are easy like that. Not like fucking Sonic where you have to cross reference three different reading order charts and even then, not everything has been collected in TPB form.

How was the IST black friday/cyber monday sale last year? What was the % off deal last time?

I just got these two today what am I in for?

Picked up Essential Doctor Strange 2-3 (which are now going for huge bucks).

I know, they just did an Epic TPB with a lot of this material, but there is a huge chunk of Doctor Strange material that is not available in print in color between the Ditko omnibus and the Epic of the englehart run. So I'd rather stick to the Essentials until they close this gap.

Also, I have more Superman shit coming in to further complete my Post-Crisis Superman run collection in the form of Superman #672-700.

So how much fucking Doctor Strange IS available these days? I know they did an omnibus of the Ditko run and the Shuma Gorath arc was the the Epic Doctor Strange TPB. What else is available in TPB?

The Masterworks line is largely out of print but the last couple of volumes that are still in print, roughly cover the first 30 issues of the '740'-86 ongoing.

The recent Ditko omnibus roughly covers all of the Doc Strange covers from Strange Tales #110-146 (strange appeared sporadically in the beginning, missing several issues before becoming the permanent co-feature with issue #115).

From there you have the Epic TPB which collects the entire Marvel Premier run, a couple of odds and ends stories from this era, and the first five issues of the '74 series.

From that point, you are kind of SOL. The TPB of Triumph and Tragedy has a random issue from the Roger Stern era (#57) and the T&T graphic novel from 1990. After that, there is "Don't Pay the Ferryman" which collects the last six issues from the '74 series (#75-81) and "Doctor Strange: Strange Tales", which collects the Doctors Strange stories from the '87 revival of Strange Tales.

From that point, the only thing from the '89 series are #33-39 which are in the Infinity Gauntlet Omnibus sans back-ups and a couple of issues in the Acts of Vengeance X-Over Omnibus.

There are three OOP collections, two of which pair well with DPTF and the Strange Tales '87 collection (along with the Essentials and T&T).

Into the Dark Dimension collects #68-74 (and is rare as hell, as it was given a super small print run) and Doctor Strange Vs Dracula, which collects #58-62.

There is also an OOP TPB that collects both versions of the Doctor Strange Annual #1 (which was heavily rewritten for initial publication but was redrawn from based on the original junked script as a one-off in the 90s).

Essential Doctor Strange collects the entire original Doctor Strange Strange Tales run, the short lived '68 rebranding of ST into a Doctor Strange ongoing, the odds and ends stories bridging it and Marvel Premier, the Marvel Premier run and Doctor Strange '74-'86 #1-56 and Annual #1.

Not anytime soon.

Just be thankful we are getting all of the Starlin Cap Marvel shit (including DoCM) in one huge "Complete" TPB next year.

You mean Fawcett Captain Marvel, right? That'd be awesome.

No, the Marvel version, Mar-Vel

Fantastic. Thanks for the info.. I'll keep going with Busieks stuff and go after the older works later, makes me sound like a pleb but I have a hard time getting into Bronze age stuff.. I do like it in small doses though.

im really low-key jealous of you right now. great pickup!

Just thank the gods you live in the US and can get those books for half price... and enjoy them.

god damn being just over the border in Canada sucks for that kind of stuff.

A great deal of fun.

worth noting though that the first Hellboy story isn't the best one by any means, Byrne did the scripting. Wake the Devil is great though, the real first HB story.

Hellboy picks up after the first story, and Goon is a treat all the way through.

>makes me sound like a pleb but I have a hard time getting into Bronze age stuff.

no that's okay, don't forget it's literally a different age of comics. the whole mindset behind it and the problems and aims it handled is completely different to us nowadays.
I can deal with bronze age but have attention problems with silver age stuff myself, except for Marvel/Kirby.

also don't forget it ran for way over 200 issues and into the late 80s so the latter stuff may be readable to you (haven't checked most of it yet)

you may want to pick up some scans/digitals of it first before paying money for any of it.

Yeah now that I've wiki'd it and stuff it seems as daunting as Judge Dredd, so damn many issues.. always always so much more to read

Chronicles of Conan the Barbarian is currently 33 TPBs, next one should be the last one, Savage Sword of Conan is another 22.

I really need to get a new shelf if I ever start collecting that

Well, no signs of pages falling out so that's cool. No bending either. Seems to be just above average glue binding. I'm too new to collecting comics to really give a say on paper qaulity, but they seem better than the modern Marvel Omnibuses. Color is the standard digital restoration if that's an issue.
Awesome book, can't recommend it enough. It's the full color print, second edition (first edition seems to be missing Chapter 21, 2 Appendixes and an index) and according to the logo on the back and spine is the Turtleback Library Binding.
Only complaint is the unusual size means the spine's edges are a little warped, but it still reads fine. I'm 100% certain it's because I let a friend borrow it and he left it in his bag all the time. I really want to get another copy to display. It also convinced me to never let a friend borrow a book.
That's coming out on IST in 3 days. Another week for Amazon presumably.

>Turtleback Library Binding.
all right, it's on my list.
>and he left it in his bag all the time.
that is the most likely reason.

Pre-ordered the Bronze Age Brave and the Bold omni just for the Jim Aparo art. Still one of my favorite artists and has always drawn the definitive Batman for me. Looking forward to it. Probably going to buy the BatO hardcover now to go with it.

good night

I think it was their sometimes 45% off that ran to Christmas or New Year's Eve (Marvel, DC, Dark Horse, Image - notice how it's not active now) with deeper clearances for random stuff. I got a good bit of art books last year for super cheap.

Captain Marvel didn't have any stories between 1954 and 1973, his abrupt departure and long overdue return was the entirety of the silver age.