How's Your Webcomic? #328

It's that time again, because people have forgotten how to bump.

some kind of a topic: what would have to change if your comic was done in CG? I've been watching things lately that do a weirdly good job of translating 2d styles

Other urls found in this thread:

myscriptfont.com/
artists.pixelovely.com/practice-tools/figure-drawing/
quickposes.com/pages/timed
senshistock.deviantart.com/gallery/
shutterstock.com/
pinterest.com/characterdesigh/
tumblr.com/theme/39018
pastebin.com/kNR2W5mV
docs.google.com/document/d/1uwfOSHXfrgvcf--PkPz9jXL6p5RqIsrYvXYwgQpgT3k/edit#
youtube.com/watch?v=5xPvvPTQaMI
courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_1.pdf
courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_2.pdf
courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_3.pdf
chrisoatley.com/category/podcasts/
web.archive.org/web/20140625035030/http://paperwingspodcast.com/
blambot.com/
cienciasecognicao.org/rotas/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Robert-McKee-Story.pdf
miss-melee.tumblr.com/post/143483233951/
mediafire.com/folder/9pf1nwwa92lbp/Comics_for_making_Comics
bug-quest.tumblr.com/
funnyjunk.com/collection/WitchHill
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Scrub Authors GOODIE Bag
Here’s a short list of sites that any new webcomic artist or writer will find handy:
>*-Struggling to find that perfect FONT? Create your own using this link;
myscriptfont.com/

>*-Don’t forget to brush up on that ANATOMY:
artists.pixelovely.com/practice-tools/figure-drawing/
quickposes.com/pages/timed

>*-What’s a list without some reference STOCK IMAGES?
People: senshistock.deviantart.com/gallery/
Scenery: shutterstock.com/

>*-Here's a big fat compilation of CHARACTER DESIGN REFERENCE:
pinterest.com/characterdesigh/ (surprisingly not a typo)

>Links to get a rough WEBSITE started up:
Easy to use tumblr webcomic theme: tumblr.com/theme/39018
Do’s and Don’ts for starting a site: pastebin.com/kNR2W5mV
>Contact sheet if anyone wants to put information down, like their site and webcomic:
docs.google.com/document/d/1uwfOSHXfrgvcf--PkPz9jXL6p5RqIsrYvXYwgQpgT3k/edit#

>DISCORD CHAT going on,
Ask for an invite in the thread.

>Wise words from John Cleese:
youtube.com/watch?v=5xPvvPTQaMI

>Invisible Ink:
courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_1.pdf
courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_2.pdf
courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_3.pdf

>Paper Wings
chrisoatley.com/category/podcasts/
web.archive.org/web/20140625035030/http://paperwingspodcast.com/

>Fonts for your webcomic on Blambot:
blambot.com/

>Writing Resources:
cienciasecognicao.org/rotas/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Robert-McKee-Story.pdf

>Guide to promoting your comic:
miss-melee.tumblr.com/post/143483233951/

>Comics for makin' comics!
mediafire.com/folder/9pf1nwwa92lbp/Comics_for_making_Comics

Got any other useful links? We need more. Share that shit.

Here are two pages that I didn't get to post!

At what point do I stop hanging around this circlejerk of a thread and make threads dedicated to my comic, pretending to be someone else who just stumbled upon it on the internet?

I legitimately almost forgot about Sanzoku. I like that his forgettability has become metaforgettability. it's like a metaphor for getting new tables.

When you get a sizable following offsite

Also this one.

10th: their*
12th: normal*

MY WEBCOMIC IS SHIT

SHIIIIIITTTT

that sucks. make a better one

hey Shadows Over Innsmouth guy
i kinda like your comic. i'm giving it a read

Where did everyone go from these threads? The last two or three didn't even hit 200 before they were archived.

Was "Let these threads die"/ "/hyw/ threads were a mistake" guy right?

one died earlier within the time it took me to cook dinner. I think it's more that Sup Forums is really active right now. lots of cartoons updated this week

If you have to ask that question then it's not time

Heyo /hyw/
I have a challenge for you all!
There's a ton of great webcomic artists here, and many of you are looking to become more flexible artistically.

So, I challenge you to draw yourself (or one of your characters) in the style of four of your favorite webcomic artists

Don't stand here looking at me! Go do it!

Mmmm, no thanks. I just tried a page using Abaddon as inspiration. It didn't go well. Good exercise though.

I'm already trying as hard as I can to mimic them... but maybe getting the wee details down would actually help. Hmm. I'm not GOOD enough to mimic some of them..
fuckin neat idea though. also you did a fantastic job. never noticed before how very Dan Avidan you look, whereas usually you've got that Kimura thing going.

tfw can't draw

Always worth a shot.

I'd say focus on learning anatomy and form first. Once you understand that, you'll be able to deconstruct styles and understand what makes them individually unique.

If you're interested, the first step is always picking up a pencil

the hardest part isn't just the style though but separating 'this is how this person draws people' from 'this is how this person draws one specific person'. and often it doesn't really apply. If your character has an accessory or an anatomical part or a hairstyle or whatever that is in a specific shape because that's the shape it is, it can be hard to translate that into someone else's style. hard to say 'this is how they draw curved things of this shape most of the time'. but it's a lot of fun figuring it out
I fell on my ass once trying to do a fill-it-out thing where you drew what your OC would be in every major smash bros universe.. too often it was too open-ended to decide. like what are the limits of a kirby character? HAL kinda draws all kinds of weird shit, including little humans.
somehow I'm better at this when it's anime styles.. even if some of those issues still come into play (how do i know how this artist draws my beard if they don't ever seem to DRAW beards?). Kinda proud of this one. but might be harder for comics. I should try anyway.

Bump.

Do those two guys that write/draw The Sisters still come here? I haven't frequented these threads in while but the last few times I've check them out they haven't been here.

YELLING.

I've only read one webcomic, One Punch Man, but besides that I try to stay away from them so I can concentrate on my own comic.

Plus I'm not gonna copy their style as an exercise, I'd rather pay attention to their style how they interpret the world around. Thats the fun part for me.

Also if you wanna more challenging proposal how about:

>draw a scene from your favorite webcomic in your own style and try to see how you differ...

That's less of a challenge.
The whole point of the challenge is to try something new and unfamiliar, trying to emulate someone else's style.
Drawing a scene from someone else's webcomic, you're drawing in your own familiar style. There's nothing difficult about that.

Rough pencils for a one pager.
I tell myself I'll finish this one straight away and not leave it for 3 months but we'll see what happens.

Not sure about the final panel.
Some kind of punchline?
Something else entirely?

Last week's page...

...and this week's page.
I was finally able to reveal the actual name of the planet, so I feel like the story's finally going somewhere.

>Some kind of punchline?
Mouse could comment on the quality of her dance moves.

bug-quest.tumblr.com/

I finished bug quest.
It ran for exactly 2 years.

GG

Hey what should I make a webcomic about?

A topic you're interested in

fuck off

A comic about fucking off, it is, then.

I'm told Axolotls are the next big thing.

once in a while
what the hell is that?

Congratulations on completing Bug Quest.

Are there any aspects of the BQ world you'd like to explore or do you want to do something completely different?

For a change of pace, how about short stories? Trying to tell a complete tale or joke in just 1 or 2 pages.

dynamicute!
the mouse should be like "where do i buy another ticket?" or something

wh..what?

Woah woah woah WAIT WHAT SCRUB NO DON'T GO

Tell me where and what your next project will be, BQ was rad!

So I suppose if I draw in that other person style my own will improve or overall mimic the other artist?
>No Thank you~
If I draw in looney toon style all the time mean I can't improve in my own I'd stick to my own methods thanks.

>your method is awesome and great for artist who want to experiment with someone else style and improving their skills in mimicry. But if I draw all I can think of is mimicking the style it might mess me up.

Good Luck though! You got my support.

I don't geeeet it.

Rococo Chapter one overview,

There will be 52 pages (excluding cover) , 3 more page to draft and ink. Some correction also need to made for continuity reasons. Some of the pages came from before the reboot and was adapted into the chapter. I started the Reboot since the beginning of this year, and its been a long road from my perspective. I don't think I will finish it by the end of the year but it'll be fun to see it all put together.

When I share a comic on social media, is it better to post a snippet of the comic, or the entire page?

I'd say whole thing
nice perspective on those legs

Hm. I've been doing snippets, but I'll give full page a try and see what happens.

Comic is saffroncomic.com by the way. Can I shill my webcomic here? I presume I can?

You're missing the point of the exercise entirely.

The point is to get you thinking about how other artists work, and how they reach the endpoint of a finished product.

A real artist should be adaptable, and should be able to work in multiple styles, with multiple methods, multiple medias, given different parameters.

It isn't meant to force you to copy someone. It's meant for you to see your art in a different way, and sometimes you pick up little bits that you can incorporate into your own style, and just to practice a variety of looks.

If you think working in one same style is just fine, you'll stagnate, and it will show in your lack of variety and growth.

>stick to my own methods thanks.
This is the slowest possible way to improve. Trying out other people's styles won't just teach you how to draw in their styles, it'll also teach you how to draw your style better.
Why do you think serious art schools do so many master studies?

shilling is the best, shill a lot.

you're not wrong, but that's a pretty bad argument. Art schools are far from unimpugnable.

Is it even worth arguing these things anymore?
The newbies who don't know better are easy to identify, and our small collection of artists who are just stubborn about improving never benefit from these arguments. Why even bother?

Woah, what is this?

I allowed the root URL but it still won't load. wanna let me know what other shit you're running? noscript glitches out in a way that it won't tell me what's running 9 times out of 10

nevermind, even with noscript off it still doesn't work

Really? That's weird. I'm not running anything interesting on the site; it's a standard ComicPress site with no weird plugins on it.

eh i'm running archaic firefox on a decade old computer, it's probably my fault

>that alt text

gets me everytime

Wait, aren't you that webcomic review guy?

I am, or an user pretending to be. You never really know on Sup Forums

the only one i know who does reviews is sisters guy

Grats on getting this far, user.
Are you going to color all of the pages?

I could do something about a spider dude in a swamp
maybe later
I'd rather the first thing i do now be something very different

Ill be around

didn't you already have another project in the woiks? dog piloting a robot? something like that?

what

what comic has the best art in these threads?

someone did...
yours, user. it's you!

Monster Lands, that furry western comic, the cute Baphomet comic, Dustin's comic

every comic is shit

SHIIIIIIT

To be a fair sport I'll try out this exercise, but it'll be a bit difficult.

Bump.

Hello, this is a character I've been developing for a story.

tetsuooo

THANK YOU, yes. Jesus, I've shown it to quite a few people and nobody got the stylistic influence. Also Tequila from Hard Boiled. Character's name is Rum.

i knew it looked familiar.

Good eye nonetheless. I wanted to draw a character that had the generic bowl cut that every asian guy sports at least once in their life, and Kaneda pretty much defined that in my mind.

Rum is a member of the Galactic Police (GalaPol), as a provisional detective. Earth is too poor in the future to pay him a salary, so while stationed on the galactic capital planet he lives off of space welfare and sleeps under his desk.

And where done no more...

this was drawing...

Making a bit of progress. I was hoping to get more done by the end of the week, but whatever, I'm not on a deadline.

what's that, boondocks style?
is that second one fist of the north star?
i love your little mouse guy.
You kinda see what I mean though right? because you've got this unique nose thing for your character, imitating other styles is like.. how do you do it? how would THEY draw that kind of nose? not like their usual ones. it's tough. it's kinda like ... if you make a simpsons version of you you make it yellow, but do you also possibly give it blue hair?

nice bricks. am i following your comic? I feel like I should be

Wait wait wait RIGHT there mister, the nose isn't a problem... the styles are imitable but i'm the one that CHOOSE to keep the snozzle the same bro.

Its not hard bro... i don't draw the nose on them because i don't know how to! i drew the nose the same to try and figure out how other artist might do it. the nose stays the same across the board...

Wanna see how it would look without the noses?

what is the story?

Oh and the hair is unkempt and puffy, you know how most afro if not combed would look. except the little wavy part thats just for fun.

Oh and in order from Left to Right

> It's Yusuke Murata : Well known for One Punch Man.
>Araki Hirohiko : Jojo Bizarre Adventure
>Akira Toriyama : Well known for Illustrating the Dragon Quest games and also starting the Dragon Ball Z franchise.
> And last but not least Eiichiro Oda : Best know for one of the most Longest Anime and Manga Series One Piece.

They made great works of art that got me thinking i can become a great Comic Book Artiest, Or Cartoonist and Hell even a Game Developer.

Well, if you want here's a link to a collection list of the parts that are currently out

funnyjunk.com/collection/WitchHill

oh okay, well if it was me, that would have been problematic. It's one of the issues i have in trying to do style-exercises.

looks more like One than Oda

cute as hell
you know it says 'hills' instead of hill for #2 right?

Working on a title still, but the general summary is:

The character, Rum, is a former cop (that is terrible at his job) from New Mongolia (set in the 7th millennium). He is nominated to be sent to the galactic capital planet called Planet Old Center as a provisional detective that is assigned to any human-related crimes in space (which are next to none, because humans can't afford space travel; the job is more like punishment/banishment than anything else). Then he accidentally gets wrapped up in a terrorist plot that is aiming to destroy the capital planet, and an arrest that he made prior to the incident is the only key to preventing doomsday.

It's a contained short story with a beginning and end that fits into an expanded universe that I'm developing. I've done small personal things before but this is a bigger and more ambitious step. Pic is another "cool pose" drawing that I'm peppering away at, all the crosshatching is a pain to do but it's just how I draw. I'm planning on doing a reduced style for the actual comic.

whoa, so all that talk about humans tells me there's other things.. what are they, aliens? robots? mutants?

Look em both up, you maybe surprised to know that this simplified anime style is very appealing to the eye...

the characters feel toony and move very animated (Ha!). thing is Oda's art uses cross hatching and excellent shading values to give his character a bit more "Umpf".

One is a quick learner he went from his not so great art on his webcomic to a nice style that he himself holds true against any other Mangaka.

So my thing is i dont wanna copy or draw in their styles i wanna develop my own by learning from the book and from experience.

>you know it says 'hills' instead of hill for #2 right?

Yup, but I can't change it (or rather I'm too lazy to actually go into the menu and see if I can fix it)

Yeah, lots of aliens. Like I mentioned before, expanded universe. It's part of the fun with space stories, and it allows readers to hopefully immerse themselves a little better. Dinosaur aliens, micro robot sentient life form aliens (one of which is a part of the story itself), gas cloud aliens, inter-dimensional psychic super beings (one of which is Rum's department captain), and a space yeti that is assigned as his partner.

nice shading bruh! planning the pages out or is it still in the document phase?

nice to hear there'll be variety. i'm a little tired of the overly convenient consistency in aliens even in the most freed-up media like comics and games..

Thanks! Document mostly, and character designs. And vehicle designs. And weapon designs. There's a lot going on, hard to focus on one thing because I only have like 3 hours a night to draw as much as possible before I have to sleep for work in the morning. Vehicles are the hardest, pic related is something I've been trying to nail down. Fuck vehicles, though curvilinear bullshit perspective helps.

I have outlines for 8 stories. One is about space mafia, one is about Earth's safari, one is about Earth's oldest robot (set millions of years in the future), one is about a big nuclear Earth war, one is about alien refugees being marooned on a primitive planet, one is about a pleasure robot that is given the choice between military service or jail time, one is about a parallel Earth being blown up in the prime universe, and one is the detective story.

I'm on the same page as you. I'm an illustrator by trade so I see a lot of repetitive stuff and get it in my head to one-up it as best as possible. I am guilt of designing some aliens to be basically humans, so... yeah.

Well, let me throw in my WIP in the ring.
My concern is how should I shade or color this.
Honestly, I think I'm too lazy and terrible at shading to shade this so it would just be flat base colors, Maybe have the background be fuzzy colors.
What do you think?
Also, how bad is my anatomy?

Should focus less on colors and more on construction. When the lines and anatomy are this bad, it actually looks better in simplistic B/W

fucking sweet space hot rod. yeah perspective on this kinda shit is really difficult, but you nailed it

and i mean, everyone wants SOME aliens to be humanlike so it's fun.. you just gotta vary it up more
i feel like 60s-80s tokusatsu had it perfect. aliens can be guys in silver outfits, six-inch-tall ladies, dragons, giant bugs, weird oozing pustule creatures, cephalopods, robots, blue guys, horned witches, or a badly-superimposed energy gas

hard to say since there isnt much anatomy visible yet, but I think your background elements could use more care and control.

Are you me right now because I'm in the same god damn predicament having little time to plan...

Anyway If you need help just ask bro, most of us here would give you advice. Hell i can give you books that'll help with drawing character, perspective and etc.

Design look Good! if you want some nice looking ships go watch some Space Dandy that show not only had great Characters (Who by the way could really help develop yours) but they also showcase some cool designs for their vehicles and Planets. Its a 20 something episode anime go watch it or watch some short clips for an idea.

>keep in mind that when drawing concept for character or stuff (space ships), it's always a good idea to know whether or not you'll be drawing it Multiple times or not

keep details to the point don't get fancy with the concepts: Front, Side, Back, Top, Bottom and then you can work with angles.

>tfw no motivation