Don Rosa

Don Rosa calls his own art "bad" and says that the only reason people like it is because it is detailed. Do you agree? Why do you think Don Rosa considers his own art to be "bad"?

Because he is good

Only shit artist think their stuff is good

Because he just attempts to copy Bark's artwork and constantly compares his own work to one of the greatest comic artists who ever lived. Of course he's going to feel he's crap by comparison.

Also this.

Any action he draws can be considered stiff and portraued with speedlines, his character interactions have a noticeable single-camera setup feeling to them (characters move around in one unchanging panel) and outside of grand set pieces and funny side gags there are better artists than him from a technical perspective.

That being said he's still arguably one of the best duck artists alive and I love everything he does.
>tfw he came to visit last month and I got a signed copy of one his collection books
Feels good man.

more like he's too stubborn to work up modesty and confidence. he considers himself to be so good he calls himself shit to single it out.

it's really no different from seeing girls on the internet crying about how fuck ugly they are to garner attention and no you aren'ts from random onlookers.

>Why do you think Don Rosa considers his own art to be "bad"?

That's the nature of artists.

the guy himself looks like a character from his comic, there is something so cartoony to his face

>Because he just attempts to copy Bark's artwork
How so? Barks' art is far more simple and streamlined; their art is barely even comparable.

This. The people who say they are very good at something are usually the people who are the worst at that something - but the best at selling their crap skills. Since they think they are great, they don't really care about improving, and often they get insulted if you point out their flaws.

The step above are the people who don't think about whether they are skilled or not, they just do it. They are very professional, but won't become truly masters because they don't worry about being bad and therefore won't make the conscious, unending effort to become better. But they have enough skill to make a lot of work with their skills.

Finally there are the people who always see the flaws in their own work and strive to improve on them every time. They start as bad or mediocre, but make up for it with determination. They do not realize that during the years their skills have became masterful because they only see the flaws in it, they only see the parts that could be improved. The downside is that they get lost in improving so much, that the better their skill gets, the longer it takes to finish a piece, which ultimately leads to producing less and less work.

Yes it annoys me too. He is obviously at least a better-than-average artist, yet he is always saying "I don't understand why thousands love my bad art". Some anons on here claim he is a bit of a jerk in real life.

He reminds me of Scrooge McDuck. He seems like a bit of a weirdo that is just a tad too obsessed with Carl Barks and the Duck universe. I always wonder whether Barks' was weirded out or not by Don Rosa's fangirling.

Have you seen the videos where he gives a guided tour of his house? It looks like a typical otaku crib. Dude never really grew up - he has always been stuck in his childhood, reading Barks comics. If he was born 40 years later, he'd probably be shitposting on Sup Forums.

Also, don't forget that Rosa started out as a fan artist turned professional. He'll always feel belittled because of that, since he never mastered techniques for professional art, and he thinks is own skills are not as mature or refined.

This puzzles me too. Some of his storylines very obviously try to emulate that sense of adventure found in Barks' longer stories, but the art is so different.

Barks art is actually really minimalistic and cinematic: only the bare necessities are shown to set the tone for a scene, and the focus is always on the Ducks themselves. You can really see how doing animation at the beginning of his career influenced the way he went about drawing his comics.

Don Rosa on the other hand is good at beautiful and meticulously drawn panels where a lot is going on at the same time, but the art always feels a bit static and rigid.

Part of it is that Rosa is a working artists at the time when being evolutionary is considered mediocre. The worth "artists" even in the comic medium implies some sort of uniqueness and personal voice. Putting effort and dedication to continuing something traditional, especially in the popular arts (constantly looking for "the new") is, for many, a waste of time.

I bet he has internalized this. He was born in the wrong era: in the renaissance or baroque era he would have been considered a good artists for that attitude alone.

>I always wonder whether Barks' was weirded out or not by Don Rosa's fangirling.

He was. Was frustrated that Don spent most of his time making sequels to his stuff.

I think is also because Rosa's construction is no s good. Sometimes things look awkwardly drawn in perspective, specially in the characters. You are dead on the money with animation informing Bark's work: amazing construction allows him to be "simple" because things are so solidly drawn

What about artists that are bad but don't improve because they don't know how to do it?

Except Picasso spent a lot of his time in Paris being jealous of other artists with far less technical training just because their bad scribbles were popular. He threw away his classical training to pursue fame.

He has the artist's view.
Being an artist is both a blessing and a curse, you are NEVER content with your work, your trained eye only sees the flaws that the normal viewer would not even notice. Especially if there is someone you would consider "better" than you, be it "Oh man I wish I could do shadows like that guy" or "Why can't I draw that naturalistic!"
Think of that pic with the two cakes.
Artist: "Sigh, my cake is so deformed and ungly compared to that masterpiece there! :("
Normal guy: "YAY TWO CAKES!"

Honestly, there are not "bad" artists anymore. Just bad venues. If you mean artists with no technical skills, tons of them publish comics and even design shows on the notion that the work is "quirky" and "relatable", while tons of accomplished technical people are unemployed.

What kills artists, more than technical ability, is lack of awareness: they don't know how they come across and therefore can't find the right venues. The only way to fix that shit get a broad education of styles, markets and stuff.

better than I ever will at any rate

Yup. Barks never even called himself a cartoonist because those duck comics he made was just a job for Disney, not real art since it didn't came from his "heart and soul" to make them. Just another shitty job. And then you have some fucking geek sperging out on it and devoting his life to it and constantly harassing you. Of course you'd get weirded out.

I saw him at a book fair but the lines were long so I didn't bother but he comes here yearly by the looks of it so maybe next year. Apparently he mainly signs stuff that's bought at the venue he's signing at and charges for sketches? Bleh.

This is correct.

>and charges for sketches
The man's eyes barely function nowadays. I'd charge too if it cut down on the workload.

I take it you've never heard the saying "Everyone is their own worst critic"?

That he was jealous at some point of his career in no way implies that there was no commitment to experimentation and artistry in his work. Do you people really believe that all his incredible innovations, year after year (and already famous and wealthy) could only be the result of some petty jealousy? You need to take some art classes.

Being good at realistic drawing is useful, but it can easily become a comfort zone. Since the invention of the camera, learning how to draw realistically has been seen as a beginning step for students and nothing more (hence the term "academic")

Charging for sketches is literally cancer.

You're cancer.

He copies the style of Robert Crumb to draw children comics. That's weird but it works.

It's true though.
Art is not a service nor is it a good. Charging for shit that can be done in less than a minute is literally just stealing.

I think he's right. It's not super bad, but not really great either.

am i supposed to read this bottom to top? Why is Twitter such trash? half the screenshots form there are bottom to top, and half are top to bottom. Just settle on one format for christ's sake

>DEVILISH

How the fuck is it not a service you mongrel? People spend countless unpaid hours learning how to do something so that it can look good. If you don't think art is a service, why are you asking for the sketch in the first place? Draw your own sketch and BTFO you surplus chimp

Fucking kill yourself, you stupid shill.

>I disagree with the value of something therefore it's stealing

Are you one of those faggots that tries to haggle at a retail outlet?

Whoa! Imagine how people who works for DC/Marvel must feel at cons and such. It's just another shitty job for them to make up and draw that geek shit. They couldn't give a fuck and still has to deal with a bunch of fanboys who thinks their work is actual art.

Yes, he's influenced by Crumb (which cartoonist isn't?) but I wouldn't say that he's sopying anything. Rosa has developed his very own style.

Most see it as a stepping stone to their "true artistic vision" that will come when they finally get their own book or gallery show or studio etc... In this long "overdue" projects they will finally get to tackle "the real issues" and what "the industry needs" without knowing that, in the unlikely case they succeed, they too will become part of the boring shit that will be swallowed by pop culture. Some now young artists will have to draw their shit's sequels and spinoffs, in the hope that one day they will get to do their own book...

This is a fucking stupid statement

Is he the last relevant american duck artist from the US?

I honestly can't name anyone else, alive ones at least.

That's because the market for Duck comics is so small in the USA. All stories are produced in mainland European studios, for European readers. Most of it is not even translated to English.

>people shouldn't be compensated for their work and effort

It was certainly not just "another shitty job" to Barks. He loved doing it, and he put a lot of his heart and soul in it. This is also why his work was so much better than that of other artists, who DID consider it as "yet another shitty job". Barks, on the other hand, loved doing it so much that he wstarted making Donald Duck oil paintings as an hobby after his retirement.

It's not "bad" by any stretch of the imagination. He's probably comparing it to what he could do if he had infinite time to work on every page, instead of operating under a deadline.

>spend time on an image board devoted to an art form
>clearly care about and value art or you wouldn't be here
>clearly art has made a difference in your life or you wouldn't care about this

>HUUUR DUUR ALL ART SHOULD BE FREE IT HAS NO VALUE, I JUST READ PAGE ONE OF THE FOUNTAINHEAD SO I'M ENLIGHTENED NOW

Picasso was a fucking creep who would in his 50s grab random teenage girls he saw on the street and be like "I'm a famous artist, let's fuck". He is my idol.

Plenty of artists feel this way about their work, because what they draw is never as good as what they imagine in their heads.

And with Rosa, he's always seen himself as a pale imitation of Barks, and he could never bring himself to admit the truth that he surpassed him.

Later he became president of the United States.

The Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck is pretty autistic in conception; compile and flesh out all the off-hand comments about McDuck's past from Barks stories? Why the fuck? He even fudges some stuff, like how Barks had McDuck as a merchant soaking the prospectors during the Yukon gold rush, not a miner himself.

But it's such a fucking great comic that none of that shit matters.

William Van Horne but I don't know if he's still active, but he's one of the great ones together with Rosa, Barks, Vicar and Marco Rota.

Underrated

So not very different from a lot of succesful artists then?

I always thought he was dutch.

William Van Horne did a comic called Nervous Rex before he worked for Disney. Stylewise it's a total ripoff of Vaughn Bode's underground comics. Which is odd since his Duck comics are drawn in his very distinct own style (altough hevaily influenced by Barks).

Nah, he's from California

Vaughn Bode stuf for refernce.

It's also going to be a healthy amount of why artists are going to go to cons, because travel ain't free.

>You will never be a famous painter having sex with lots of tenage girls, then becoming president and then becoming the first man on the moon by self propeling

>implying that I'm not Salvador Dali
>implying that I don't already live on the moon, in a giant house shaped like a sandwich where all the windows are giant cat eyeballs.

Don Rosa is a self-taught artist with depression. That's the reason his stuff is so good. He is trying his hardest to be perfect but it's never enough.

Big deal, I also taught myself depression. And I'm the best in the world. Watch this.

*cries for three days*